Author Topic: The pathetic facebook status thread.  (Read 305676 times)

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
Re: The pathetic facebook status thread.
« Reply #3255 on: February 03, 2012, 10:45:32 PM »
Oye gevalt... :facepalm:

:lolpalm:   It's soooooooo unbelievable.... like it's a joke maybe...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3256 on: February 04, 2012, 04:04:12 AM »
"You tear me open just see what you want from inside"

"I'm broken and I'm lonesome..."

"How can you see into my eyes?"

"Oh, I wish I could say your name in this status, but then you'd know..."

"Is life such a fleeting thing? I have to think..."

All of this in 4 hours.

And he's a guy.

Dear God.. Get a grip.

This is one of the reasons I deleted my account. I was sick of wimpy woe-is-me bullshit like this.

Life is hard. Deal with it. Grow Up. Move on.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #3257 on: February 05, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
I don't have a facebook, but when I want to laugh, I log on to my fiance's and read her friends statuses.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3258 on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:00:50 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3259 on: February 14, 2012, 12:58:03 AM »
I guess this counts as a mass facebook failure.

There's someone on my FB friends list who sadly died late last year, and today would have been his birthday. As you know, FB gives you a nice little reminder when it's someone's birthday, so he has a ton of birthday messages on his wall, most of who don't seem to actually realize he's passed away. There are a few who have acknowledged it, and just taken the opportunity to give kind wishes, but a lot of them are the generic "Happy birthday!! :)" or "I hope you have a great day!".

The guy had over 4,000 friends, so he was the kind of guy who added a lot of people, and a lot of people added him, so a lot of these people obviously don't really know him. I didn't even know him closely, but at least I'm aware that he's no longer around.
You'd think being aware of whether someone is alive or not would be a bare minimum prerequisite to be "friends" with someone on Facebook. :|
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3260 on: February 14, 2012, 07:24:05 AM »
I've wondered about that, how to handle the issue that people will die, sometimes unexpectedly.  It seems like there would be some kind of mechanism to notify Facebook (admins or whoever) that he's passed, but there would obviously need to be some way to "prove" it, otherwise people would prank delete other people's accounts.  So the procedure would have to be carefully monitored and administered, but what a pain in the ass that would be for Facebook.

On the other hand, you could argue that by offerring the service in the first place, it's part of their responsibility.  My mom passed away two years ago, and my dad has gotten onto Facebook in the past year, mostly as a way of filling the void.  It's cool seeing him on there sometimes, posting pictures and anecdotes.  But he's 81 years old and won't be around forever.  Once he goes, am I going to have to be reminded of his birthday every year?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3261 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »
I thought about that. In this case, his relatives have used his account to notify people about his death, and funeral etc, so they have the access to close his account if they wanted to. If other people can't get into the account, there's probably nothing they can do though.
It looks like someone noticed all of the birthday messages (his wife, probably), and changed his profile pic to one that says "Feb 14 1953 - Dec 30 2011", but it looks like some people still aren't paying attention, because there are still new messages such as "here's to many more!" etc, that I can only imagine come across as ignorant and insensitive to the family. The day is probably hard enough for them already.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3262 on: February 14, 2012, 08:09:19 AM »
My friend Tiffany's page has turned into a memorial site. People go there to post "thinking of you" messages and such.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3263 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:20 AM »
That's pretty cool.  But if no one else has the password, how would someone get access to the account to change it?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3264 on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:33 AM »
Facebook will 'memorialize' pages if someone dies. Not sure how to contact them about it or what you gotta do to prove they're dead, but I know they'll do something.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3265 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »
happy valintines day TO ALL THE sluts whores lnley babymomas jailded baby daddys old slut stagitory rapists drugdealers they girlfreds busdowns perverts bums stupide people young moms young gmas adn insecest people and the cheaters and mentally challenged peole here in muskegon ahhhh love aitn it grand
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #3266 on: February 14, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
 :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3267 on: February 14, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »
happy valintines day TO ALL THE sluts whores lnley babymomas jailded baby daddys old slut stagitory rapists drugdealers they girlfreds busdowns perverts bums stupide people young moms young gmas adn insecest people and the cheaters and mentally challenged peole here in muskegon ahhhh love aitn it grand

Double-u. Tee. Eff?!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3268 on: February 14, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
"Overdosing on cold medicine."

Like Unlike ·  ·
46 minutes ago via mobile · .
8 people like this..

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #3269 on: February 14, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »

Like Unlike ·  ·
8 people like this..
Happy Valentines Day.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #3270 on: February 14, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

Like Unlike ·  ·
8 people like this..

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: February 14, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
My (female) cousin:
'One of these days I'll learn how the internet works and people will stop deriving pleasure from my misfortune.'

If she wasn't family, I'd be trolling the fuck outta her.
I troll my cousins a lot. Mostly about their use of bad grammar. And spelling. They hate it. It's hilarious.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #3272 on: February 14, 2012, 09:39:51 PM »
You'd think being aware of whether someone is alive or not would be a bare minimum prerequisite to be "friends" with someone on Facebook. :|
I think you're mistaking "being friends on facebook" with "being best/very close friends on facebook." Most of my friends on facebook are people I know pretty well in high school, grad school, or from a previous job but most of those I don't have phone numbers for. So if one of them died, I could easily miss it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: February 14, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »
I think you're mistaking "being friends on facebook" with "being best/very close friends on facebook." Most of my friends on facebook are people I know pretty well in high school, grad school, or from a previous job but most of those I don't have phone numbers for. So if one of them died, I could easily miss it.

Oh no, I would never make that mistake. :lol A lot of people I know are FB whores and add literally anyone they've ever been in close proximity to, and even people they don't know just to make up numbers. I even have several people I don't know well at all, or just knew from high school etc.
But I also don't give birthday messages to every person on my friends list. It's completely hollow on FB, especially in a case like this where it's just out of some sense of FB obligation rather than caring about the person enough to even check that they have a pulse. I don't care if you have 5000 FB friends, but if you're going to give a birthday message, at least try to pretend you care. :lol

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #3274 on: February 14, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »
It's completely hollow on FB, especially in a case like this where it's just out of some sense of FB obligation rather than caring about the person enough to even check that they have a pulse. I don't care if you have 5000 FB friends, but if you're going to give a birthday message, at least try to pretend you care. :lol
So in other words:
If I get a reminder that it's Sally's birthday and I say "Man, I haven't spoken to her in forever. I should wish her a happy birthday. She was a good friend" it's because I'm not even pretending to care.[/sarcasm]

I wholeheartedly disagree. Giving a birthday message can be out of some obligation rather than caring, but I say it certainly doesn't have to.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3275 on: February 14, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
It's completely hollow on FB, especially in a case like this where it's just out of some sense of FB obligation rather than caring about the person enough to even check that they have a pulse. I don't care if you have 5000 FB friends, but if you're going to give a birthday message, at least try to pretend you care. :lol
So in other words:
If I get a reminder that it's Sally's birthday and I say "Man, I haven't spoken to her in forever. I should wish her a happy birthday. She was a good friend" it's because I'm not even pretending to care.[/sarcasm]

I wholeheartedly disagree. Giving a birthday message can be out of some obligation rather than caring, but I say it certainly doesn't have to.

I didn't mean that at all, sorry. I agree with you. I only meant that in cases like this where people don't seem to be doing it out of care, it seems they're only doing it as social networking routine, so a generic "happy birthday" can be completely impersonal. Because if they cared at all, they couldn't have missed the most recent wall posts that mentioned the fact he's passed away. It showed they just clicked and typed a generic message.

But there's nothing at all wrong with saying happy birthday to someone on Facebook. I do it too. I know that when I put a birthday message on my friend's wall that he knows I did it because I care, so that's fine.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #3276 on: February 15, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »
Because if they cared at all, they couldn't have missed the most recent wall posts that mentioned the fact he's passed away.
I've gotten reminder's of people's birthday then FB gives you a UI for posting a message to their wall without leaving the current page you're on. So it's quite easy to do that post and not see the posts that came at the same time, just so you know.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #3277 on: February 15, 2012, 02:36:31 AM »
It's fair to say if someone doesn't even know that someone else is dead when they wish them a happy birthday, they didn't wish them a happy birthday because they cared, but they are merely going through the motions.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #3278 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:32 AM »
It's fair to say if someone doesn't even know that someone else is dead when they wish them a happy birthday, they didn't wish them a happy birthday because they cared, but they are merely going through the motions.
I disagree that people can't be out of the loop and care.

Look at it this way:
Two guys are great friends during college. After moving away to various places, they meet once a year for old-time's sake. Then one of them changes their phone number, the other dies, and his family is sad his best friend can't be reached to come to the funeral. While you could say he's going through the motions of calling up to ask where they should meet (since it's a yearly ritual) but it'd be unfair to say he didn't care.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3279 on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:39 AM »
That's not accurate analogy. Meeting someone once makes you a lot closer than a lot of these facebook "friends" are. Even calling someone up once a year just to say happy birthday shows a level of familiarity and care. Just the simple action of a phone call to an individual in your example shows that you care. In your analogy, you couldn't have known the person was dead until you called. But in this FB instance, they had every opportunity to know he was dead because all of his information was right there for them to see, and all it took was to bother with the simple action of literally one extra mouse click. They did not even manage this.

Having Facebook tell you it's someone's birthday, and clicking it and typing "happy birthday" doesn't prove any level of care, especially as we have established that they didn't even go to their wall to see the obvious messages about someone's death, proving it was nothing more than going through the motions.

When you have 4000+ facebook friends, chances are a lot of these people have never even met, nor called, nor even said "hi" to each other in a PM. It's just padding a number on a list for the sake of networking and self advertising.

I'm not saying that if you say happy birthday to someone on FB, that you don't care, or they don't appreciate it, I'm merely saying that cases like this prove clearly that these particular people didn't care in the slightest, and that it shows that a birthday message on a social networking site doesn't necessarily mean anything. Ironically, I'd say it just highlighted how impersonal the action was, and how little they actually cared.

FB is entirely what you make of it. For people like you and me, we use it to become closer to people and keep in touch. For some people, it's just become a routine focusing on the networking rather than the socializing.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #3280 on: February 16, 2012, 03:02:50 AM »
Having Facebook tell you it's someone's birthday, and clicking it and typing "happy birthday" doesn't prove any level of care, especially as we have established that they didn't even go to their wall to see the obvious messages about someone's death, proving it was nothing more than going through the motions.
1) I never claimed that clicking on the link proved anything about how much they care.
2) You're conflating having facebook tell you that it's someone's birthday with having it tell you because you didn't know and similarly conflating clicking on the link with clicking on it because you don't care what's on their wall.

When you have 4000+ facebook friends, chances are a lot of these people have never even met, nor called, nor even said "hi" to each other in a PM. It's just padding a number on a list for the sake of networking and self advertising.
I'll admit I was looking at it more from the standpoint of this happening in general than to the "4000+ friends" people specifically, especially since it's hard to know where that "cut-off" point is. I mean, I have 456 friends. Sure, it's not in that same league but it's quite a few to me...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:09:44 AM by slycordinator »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3281 on: February 16, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »

I saw that one too! Not as funny knowing it wasn't original.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3282 on: February 16, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »
Might've been touched on already but a little part of me dies whenever I see a "so-and-so has just been hacked by so-and-so!!! lol!". Someone leaving Facebook open is a stupid mistake, it's not hacking.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3283 on: February 16, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
Might've been touched on already but a little part of me dies whenever I see a "so-and-so has just been hacked by so-and-so!!! lol!". Someone leaving Facebook open is a stupid mistake, it's not hacking.

I always just post "ninja status"

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3284 on: April 05, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »
I usually don't care for this kind of stuff but I was so outraged/amused/shocked by this one, that I couldn't let it pass:

Translation:

Pathetic girl: BELIEBERS help me I can't stop crying :'(
Friend 1: why?
Friend 2: ??
Friend 3: why are you sad?
Friend 4: what's going on?
Pathetic girl: Well, Justin is moving to a mansion with Selena, the two ALONE, and I'm scared, because I don't want them to become parents yet, Justin has changed a lot, I'm disappointed. Moreover, I knew this was going to happen someday, but I'm not readyyyyy for this yet :'(
Pathetic girl: I dunno about you, but I feel like Justin has forgotten us and that fame went to his head, he is not the same guy I fell in love with 2 years ago :'( and I can't stop crying :'(
Dude 1: WTF?
Dude 2: he's 18 already, he can do whatever he wants XD, and obviously he wants to fuck Selena whenever he pleases :D that's the truth.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3285 on: April 05, 2012, 07:27:18 AM »
Wow.

:|

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3286 on: June 19, 2012, 05:48:03 AM »
Girl who persistently flirts with me/hits on me despite knowing full well that I have a girlfriend:

Justin Bieber's BELIEVE album is out today FINALLY!! YAY! :D
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3287 on: June 19, 2012, 06:02:16 AM »
Delete her from your friends list.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3288 on: June 19, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »
She would notice. It would cause more drama for Obama.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3289 on: June 19, 2012, 07:16:06 AM »
She would notice, it would cause drama, so... you don't?  Sounds to me like a good reason to do it.