Author Topic: The pathetic facebook status thread.  (Read 306328 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: The pathetic facebook status thread.
« Reply #3430 on: April 04, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »
lolwut

Apparently nothing is clear to you. I don't have facebook or any feeds at all, that's the point. All social networking feeds are idiotic no matter the content or the person posting them. But I so appreciate your useless, ignorant insight into my friends and my life.  :tup

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3431 on: April 04, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »
Surely you don't think the social networking tool itself is idiotic? It's revolutionary. It sounds like you just have a problem with how some people use it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3432 on: April 04, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »
All social networking feeds are idiotic no matter the content or the person posting them.

The amount of scientific knowledge I gain daily due to following science, astronomy, and technology pages on Facebook is scary. It is certainly not idiotic.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3433 on: April 04, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
That's nice but I don't need facebook to learn and it is far from the most reliable way. That is hardly the way that the majority use facebook, but I applaud you for using it as such. I wasn't referring to information pages, those can be found across the entire internet and are not the core aspect of social networking. I'm referring to the human aspect of person-to-person updating; Susie breaking up with Tommy and that O'Doyle just got a brand new football, etc. That is what I think is idiotic. Clearly information being spread and easily accessible is not idiotic. I figured that was a given...'content' is in reference to a person posting content about their life.

Yeah, I do think it's (mostly) idiotic, Hayden. The vast, overwhelming majority are the mundane musings of people's everyday lives that I couldn't possibly give a shit less about. I think in many ways it has degraded our actual social adeptness. It isn't social if you're sitting alone in a room. So yes, I have a problem with how many people use it. That said, a tool is only as good as how one uses it, and the way that the majority use it is idiotic. I'm not saying that it hasn't changed the way that we interact with one another or that it hasn't had a large impact on our everyday lives, it has; but it's also brought a lot of negative aspects with it.

I'm done though, lets not turn this into a debate on the usefulness of networking sites. This is for the funny.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3434 on: April 04, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
All the music and movie news I find out on Twitter first mainly.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3435 on: April 05, 2013, 12:43:38 AM »
Agreed. That's the only reason I use Twitter.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3436 on: April 05, 2013, 11:16:07 AM »
All social networking feeds are idiotic no matter the content or the person posting them.

The amount of scientific knowledge I gain daily due to following science, astronomy, and technology pages on Facebook is scary. It is certainly not idiotic.
Indeed. I subscribe to at least five major science pages and I learn so much each day. However, the other stuff on my newsfeed is quite idiotic some of the time.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3437 on: April 05, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »

I have *NEVER* used Twitter to lash out and go " FML  :angry: " Because I hate reading thru all that shit.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3438 on: April 05, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »

I have *NEVER* used Twitter to lash out and go " FML  :angry: " Because I hate reading thru all that shit.
That stuff is just ridiculous.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3439 on: April 05, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
Even when i've been at my lowest I don't think i've ever tweeted stuff like

" I fuckin hate myself - everything I do is shit. Wanna die ."

At least not openly and out of the blue. I've tried really hard not to be one of THOSE people....

" This again... "

" Why did i think it would be any different ? "

" Life ? What a joke . . . . "

" Can I die now or...? "

:facepalm: FUCK OFF

WHO are you directing that at ? And WHAT do you expect anyone to do about it ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3440 on: April 06, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »
Why do you go on FB or twitter just to go

" Wahh Im so fat " ?

1. Just so everyone goes " no - you're not " ?

2.But Then you disregard 1. anyway and go " no i'm not " to everyone.

???

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3441 on: April 16, 2013, 12:40:13 AM »
"shes actually not all that attractive im sorry but girls that post them selves dancing around in underwear is not very atractive to me it is a turn off they are called clothes for a reason the whole world doesnt need to see someones body"

"Guessing your gay eh lol JK"

"actually no i just have a very profound opinion"

:facepalm:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: April 16, 2013, 03:44:37 AM »
Are you face-palming at the guy not wanting to see scantily clad people on facebook or the fact that him stating this gets him called gay ?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3443 on: April 16, 2013, 07:31:34 AM »
I'm guessing it's the fact that he thinks he has a profound opinion. At least that is the cause for the permanently imprinted palm in my forehead.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3444 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
I'm guessing it's the fact that he thinks he has a profound opinion. At least that is the cause for the permanently imprinted palm in my forehead.

And, what exactly is the reason "they are called clothes"?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3445 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »
The guy with the profound opinion could probably tell you, but I wouldn't trust any guy who claims to be straight yet complains about scantily clad girls on Facebook.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3446 on: April 16, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
I just cut out the middle man and don't use Facebook at all.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: April 16, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
The guy with the profound opinion could probably tell you, but I wouldn't trust any guy who claims to be straight yet complains about scantily clad girls on Facebook.

It's absolutely disgusting though, some 13-18 year old taking most of her clothes off for a few 'likes' as if it means something to get 'likes' It's a disgrace, this generation needs to learn decency.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3448 on: April 16, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
This generation is also directly responding to statements like that. Saying that society, not them, is what's wrong is on the rise in topics of gender equality, slut shaming, and rape culture.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3449 on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
Okay, I was making joke, but you're right, it is a serious problem.  I have a 15-year-old daughter, and we keep close tabs on what she wears and does, and also what pictures end up on her Facebook.  She's a good kid, as are most of her friends, but we're not fooling ourselves.  We still keep vigilant.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3450 on: April 16, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
Basically this. He was being serious too.

The girl in question was about in her 20s.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3451 on: April 16, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »
Okay, I was making joke, but you're right, it is a serious problem.  I have a 15-year-old daughter, and we keep close tabs on what she wears and does, and also what pictures end up on her Facebook.  She's a good kid, as are most of her friends, but we're not fooling ourselves.  We still keep vigilant.

At least you give a shit about your kids - so many parents these days just could not be bothered to care.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3452 on: April 16, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »
Those parents suck.  We do not.

Our daughter has an iPhone and does all her Facebooking with it, but at some point in the past, she must've used the PC to log into Facebook and left the checkbox checked, because when I go to Facebook using IE, it goes into her account.  So once in a while I check up, see what she's posted lately.  Nothing incriminating, nothing out of bounds.  Good.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3453 on: April 16, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »
Orbert, A+  parenting.

More parents need to be at least aware of what their kids do. It's not only safer, but it can help them be closer as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3454 on: April 16, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
I know it seems weird to some people, but I'm friends with both of my kids on Facebook, and so is my wife.  Our son is 20 now and is savvy enough to block certain posts from certain users and stuff like that.  What he doesn't know is that he's in the same boat as his sister; he made the same mistake or simply doesn't think I'll bother checking.  He has his laptop, but IE on the "kid's PC" goes into his Facebook account.  Since he's an adult now, I feel kinda weird poking around in there, but mostly I'm just curious what he's bothered blocking from us.  Typical stupid shit, of course.  But he mentioned one time that he blocks us, which is practically an invitation to check it out, right?  Plus, if he has a problem with it, I can always invoke the "my house, my rules" rule.

Our daughter's Facebook comes up on "the big PC" in IE, but I use Chrome to Facebook anyway.  It's faster and renders things properly, and as an added bonus, her Facebook ID stays stored in IE.

As for it bringing us closer, there is that, but I try to keep it to a minimum.  I don't comment on stuff that they post, because I'd just as soon let them forget that we're seeing it.  I'd rather give them some rope and see what they do with it, plus I don't want their friends to get weirded out seeing their parents commenting on their stuff.  We tag each other in pictures, and comment on them, and I'll Like things occassionally, but that's about it.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3455 on: April 16, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
Not to cause an alert but being on the other side of the spectrum, I thought I'd mention that people I know who have their parents on facebook sometimes have a second account for things they dont want their parents to see.

I don't think my parents have an eye on my facebook, but there isnt much they'd see that they don't know except a few swears here and there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3456 on: April 16, 2013, 05:45:52 PM »
Yeah, I've heard of that, too.  The "real" Facebook account, the one Mom and Dad don't know about.  Unless my kids are really good at this, neither of 'em do it.  My son has dozens, and my daughter hundreds, of Friends, many of which I have in common.  It seems like it would just be a collossal pain in the ass to keep two accounts, each with extensive Friend lists.  All of your Friends would also be in on it, since they're Friends with both of you, and you'd have to be very careful with the security settings.  Because we have Friends in common, everything they post has to be specifically blocked/allowed for certain people, so I'll never see any of their comments or posts.  It's possible to do, but honestly seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3457 on: April 16, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
IMO having 2 facebook accounts really only works if the parents are not too computer literate. It would be such a pain to keep it going. Orb, you seem like you know your shit. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3458 on: April 16, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
Not unless you're really really smart and do what I do.....

.... Not use Facebook.  :biggrin:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3459 on: April 16, 2013, 06:20:03 PM »
So this is kinda old and not something I found on my own feed but:

I find it humourously pathetic. :lol

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3460 on: April 17, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »
Isn't it awkward when you misspell "sex" three times?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3461 on: April 17, 2013, 03:28:20 AM »
When my mom made her Facebook account, she asked me was it okay if she friended me and I said no. I never post anything even vaguely inappropriate (as anyone who's friends with me can testify), but I do post things at two am, and I post what I write (and I don't want my mom to know I write), and what's more important, I have friends who constantly spam me with relatively inappropriate stuff and I can't exactly ask them to stop because some things which are inappropriate in my mind aren't inappropriate in theirs, so I'd end up deleting every comment and explaining, every time, and that's just too tiresome. And I don't want her to see my pictures (since they are also spammed with relatively inappropriate stuff, even though I'm never nothing but decent-looking on them), or stalk my future boyfriends, or whatever. I just don't want that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3462 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55:32 AM »
^Luckily my parents find social media stupid and will never ever make FB accounts :lol I mean, like you, I don't post anything inapproriate, and I also don't have friends who would post anything inapproriate on my timeline, but it would feel awkward to let my parents see what I do on the Internet (of course I could hide all my publications from them, but you know) - it would be like visiting a friend and taking my parents with me. I bet they would also get overprotective and paranoid if they saw that I have friends I've never met IRL.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3463 on: April 17, 2013, 05:11:39 AM »
I just ignored my mum's friend request on facebook  :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3464 on: April 17, 2013, 05:24:37 AM »
I bet they would also get overprotective and paranoid if they saw that I have like 200 or more friends I've never met IRL.
Fixed it for me.

It's not that I don't trust my mom, it's just that she has a hard time wrapping her head around the concept that things other than schoolwork can be good for my future and my mental health. But seriously, that's how she is.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise