Author Topic: Drummer Discussion Thread  (Read 5106 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: Drummer Discussion Thread
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
Elvin Jones (Coltrane) - best drummer evar.

Yes. He is amazing. Definitely my favorite jazz drummer. Wouldn't say he's my favorite drummer though.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »
Elvin Jones (Coltrane) - best drummer evar.

Yes. He is amazing. Definitely my favorite jazz drummer. Wouldn't say he's my favorite drummer though.
I have lots of problems trying to distinguish good jazz drummers from amazing ones  :) since all what they play is so subtle.

Any tips about things I should pay attention to in order to improve my appreciation of drummers? Something like: focus on the ride and cymbals, or instead focus on the big picture and feeling of the song, etc.?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »
For me, if a jazz drummer can make their presence known, without stealing the spotlight, and being able to truly be the backbone of the ensemble, whether there be 15 players, or 3.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »
I don't play, but really good drumming sucks me in and I really appreciate what they do. At the top of my list are:

Mike Mangini
Gavin Harrison
Terry Bozzio
Joey Baron
Marco Minneman
Dennis Chambers
Elvin Jones
Eric Harland
Thomas Pridgen
Mark Zonder
Billy Kilson
Zakir Hussein (tabla)

I admire many other drummers, but the above really hit me in the gut with their craft.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2011, 06:34:14 AM »
Nice to see some more Thomas Pridgen love out there. That guy just blows me away. Here he is without his shirt on. :eyebrows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH11YFqMoB0 Forgive Cedric. He's usually not that bad at singing.

And here he is with a shirt on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuI445KupaM&feature=related Cedric is much better here.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:41:16 AM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks

Offline jsem

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
I don't know too much about drumming actually, but the jazz drummers that get to me the most are those that are able to with swing and style and a lot of subtlety - but also making their presence known as Pat said. It's really about feeling imo, the way it comes across as it blends with the other crap that's going on...

I can't really describe it that well...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10:43 AM »
Another drummer who stood out to me was Anton Figg on the Ace Frehley 1978 solo album, then Dynasty and Unmasked.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2011, 11:52:32 PM »
prog sucks

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2011, 06:08:50 AM »
So, I went to see Greg Howe the other day and this guy was on drums. His name is Gianluca Palmieri. It amazes me that he is so young and can play so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1HTfFK7rtM
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.