Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 95416 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Leprous - v. Malina
« Reply #490 on: August 05, 2018, 08:54:49 PM »
Don't listen to Parama's "unfortunately" - Malina is great, and the songs I saw live sounded *great* in a live setting. :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #491 on: August 05, 2018, 09:04:11 PM »
oh and regarding tall poppy syndrome when i saw them they were selling the CD new for $20 which, uhh, was a "no" from me
dunno if they're still doing that though. i ended up getting a used copy from someone who didn't know what they had & sold it cheap in a box set with a bunch of other albums i didn't care about  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2018, 01:07:57 AM »
The band re-released TPS last year in a digipak version, as well as on (coloured and black) vinyl.

Leprous barely plays anything from TPS and/or Bilateral live these days. Very occasionally they throw in a Bilateral song (I've been lucky to have seen Forced Entry, Restless, Bilateral, Mb. Indifferentia and Acquired Taste in recent years), but anything from TPS is basically off limits and very rare. In fact, the only song they've even played in the past 4 years was Passing - and they only did that twice.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2018, 01:16:28 AM »
That's so cool that you're 61 and digging this kind of music, Mike.
Hey now, my dad is big into bands like DT, Haken and The Dear Hunter, and he turns 75 next week.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2018, 01:23:26 AM »
The band re-released TPS last year in a digipak version, as well as on (coloured and black) vinyl.

To add to this.. the re-release of TPS is not in the same packaging as the original CD. If you're a sucker for those kind of things, you'll have to find it used, which can be pretty hard. I know for sure that I'm not parting with mine; I've got TPS autographed by all the original band members that played on the album :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2018, 06:42:36 AM »
Hey now, my dad is big into bands like DT, Haken and The Dear Hunter, and he turns 75 next week.

You'll forgive me for being surprised; I live in a rural area and can't even find people my own age who like music like this near me  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #496 on: August 06, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »
I've worked behind the bar at lots of modern progmetal concerts last year and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of older people at those shows. They're usually the ones that just hang by the bar where they can lean against stuff and have conversations with you during the intermission when it's not too busy. :hefdaddy Sometimes it looks like they're not enjoying the music as much but I realize that I won't be jumping around and screaming my lungs out 40 years from now either :lol

22 just got confirmed for the Leprous / Agent Fresco tour :metal loved their last album, so I'm likely going to take a trip to Hanover to make it to this tour. Actually think it's a super interesting line-up as the night will progress from very happy/upbeat prog to super dramatic/dark. The one headlining Leprous show I saw was by far the best (saw them open for BTBAM/Devin Townsend once and a festival show last month), the others were great too but they have so many good songs that I feel disappointed they can't play a lot of them with shorter sets.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #497 on: August 06, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »

To add to this.. the re-release of TPS is not in the same packaging as the original CD. If you're a sucker for those kind of things, you'll have to find it used, which can be pretty hard. I know for sure that I'm not parting with mine; I've got TPS autographed by all the original band members that played on the album :biggrin:

Ah that's one better than me.  :)  I have the original, but not autographed.  I did see them with that lineup however.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #498 on: August 06, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »
Mike, I would love to be wrong but don't expect anything from TPS.  If it happens, great, but they're really focused on the new stuff.

Yes, after going to a Opeth show last year, I was really surprised and disappointed they played nothing from Black Water Park, so with Leprous I will be disappointed, but not surprised if they play nothing from TPS or Bilateral.  I am going to really listen again to the last three by Leprous to see if it clicks.   
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #499 on: August 06, 2018, 12:15:38 PM »
Especially with the last three albums, it's a lot easier to enjoy them if you really like Einar's voice.  I feel like one could get into Talk Poppy Syndrome and Bilateral even if you weren't all that into the vocals.  Starting with Coal, it's such a main central focus of the songs.  Coal was also such a huge departure from Bilateral and that also made it hard for people to get into.  It took me a while for Coal, but I love Coal and the two that came after.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #500 on: August 08, 2018, 05:49:00 AM »
Forced Entry is afaic the coolest Leprous song and they did play it when I saw them. Liked the first couple of Coal tracks, like The Congregation as a whole. Cannot get into Malina except for the first two tracks. The strings part in Stuck is quite beautiful.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline LordCost

« Reply #501 on: August 08, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »
After some time after the album has come out, the central part from Captive to Coma has become the one that I like to listen more frequently.
Bonneville is another great song, but sometimes I don't play it to skip also Stuck and From The Flame. My least favorites are the first two singles and the last two tracks, but they are not bad songs by any means.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #502 on: August 08, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »

You'll forgive me for being surprised; I live in a rural area and can't even find people my own age who like music like this near me  :biggrin:
No, unforgivable. Zero points in my roulette.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #503 on: August 08, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
After a week of listening to TPS and Bilateral, TPS is my favorite by Leprous.  Now on to the last 3 albums to get prepared for the concert this fall.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: October 16, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »
Speaking of preparing for the concert this fall, here I am, a new Leprous fan.  I went on a music binge lately and got a bunch of albums for prog/power bands mostly for ProgPower next year to start listening to, but also I got Bilateral from Leprous since I figured I should check them out since I'll see them with Haken soon.  I am really liking this album.  The first couple songs weren't the greatest and then I felt like the album really opened up and started to excite me.  I'm on my 3rd listen today now, good stuff.  I'll have to get their newest after I digest this more.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: October 16, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
For more than a year The Congregation was my favourite from them, but I think Bilateral is taking over now. Didn't really like it at first, but it's a grower for sure.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #506 on: October 16, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »
Bilateral is easily their best to me, which in the current state of the band is a shame as they rarely play stuff from that album nowadays (usually 1 or 2 songs per gig tops). The majority of the material will come from Malina and the Congregation, most likely.
Squ

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #507 on: October 16, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
Speaking of preparing for the concert this fall, here I am, a new Leprous fan.  I went on a music binge lately and got a bunch of albums for prog/power bands mostly for ProgPower next year to start listening to, but also I got Bilateral from Leprous since I figured I should check them out since I'll see them with Haken soon.  I am really liking this album.  The first couple songs weren't the greatest and then I felt like the album really opened up and started to excite me.  I'm on my 3rd listen today now, good stuff.  I'll have to get their newest after I digest this more.
Yeah, I'll be doing the same thing shortly. I'll probably just stick to the setlist, though. I checked out a few songs when they were in town a few months ago and didn't like it all that much. Since I'll be seeing Haken probably 3 times I'll give them another shot. Otherwise I might just plan on some added recreational time before the shows.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: October 16, 2018, 10:51:31 AM »
Yea, I'll typically just make a playlist on youtube or spotify of the setlist for bands I don't really know, but I figured this was often stated as their best so I should just check that out to get to know the band more.  Sucks if they don't play much from it, but I guess it makes sense since they have newer material and some shake up of band members it seems.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: October 16, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
Bilateral ain't bad at all but Coal was the album that did it for me. Although it hasn't made me warm up to much else, I do think Coal is fantastic.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #510 on: October 17, 2018, 02:39:02 AM »
The bonus track "Bury" from Coal is one of my favorite songs by them.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: October 29, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
I made a playlist to match closer to what they played on their last tour (sure they rotate songs, but just put the most popular songs on the playlist) and noticed my list had nothing from Bilateral which sucks because I really started liking that album a lot over the last week or so listening to it.  This setlist I listened to a bunch of times and I don't think I enjoy it as a whole compared to Bilateral as a whole.  I just got Malina though, which I see is a large part of my playlist.  Starting to listen to that and more of Haken's Vector for the show Saturday. I'm thinking I will really enjoy Leprous live regardless of what they play though.  They seem really solid from some live videos on youtube.

Anyway, I think Forced Entry is one of the best songs I've heard this year (I know it's not new, but new to me).  Then the follow up Relentless  :metal :metal and the final track Painful Detour.  I think it's a great and unique album for me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: October 29, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
Anyway, I think Forced Entry is one of the best songs I've heard this year (I know it's not new, but new to me).  Then the follow up Relentless  :metal :metal and the final track Painful Detour.  I think it's a great and unique album for me.

Find out do you wanna be

Relentless
Compress the day
But not the words you will be
Relentless

:P

(it's Restless, but yeah, Bilateral is pretty great)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: October 29, 2018, 01:43:43 PM »
 :lol I definitely do that sometimes (I was talking in another thread about Haken's 1984 being my favorite song by them  :lol), but damn I also love the music video for Restless, it's so freaky, but it also feels like this is not what the band is anymore.  Am I wrong to feel that way?  (I most certainly can be)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: October 29, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
:lol I definitely do that sometimes (I was talking in another thread about Haken's 1984 being my favorite song by them  :lol), but damn I also love the music video for Restless, it's so freaky, but it also feels like this is not what the band is anymore.  Am I wrong to feel that way?  (I most certainly can be)

I'm not the biggest fan—only discovered them in 2017—but from what I can tell, yeah, the band shifted their direction away from Bilateral and that kind of music. Last time I saw them (also in 2017), the only Bilateral song they played was Forced Entry for the encore.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #515 on: October 29, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »
Bilateral
The Congregation
Tall Poppy Syndrome
Coal

(somewhere near the core of the earth)

Malina

Like they have 4 good to great albums and also an album that pretty much just outright sucks

I'm not as excited to see them this time as I was last time as I'm expecting a mediocre Malina-filled setlist but ehh

Offline Lethean

« Reply #516 on: October 29, 2018, 10:26:18 PM »
I love Malina.  I wouldn't say it's my favorite Leprous album, but I'm not really sure what is.  Bilateral or Coal maybe.  But I'm totally fine with hearing lots of Malina on their upcoming tour. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #517 on: October 29, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »
how the heck did i win your roulette

Offline Lethean

« Reply #518 on: October 30, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
Probably because deep down you love Malina, and perhaps when you see them live you will finally realize it... ;)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #519 on: October 30, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »
Malina is awesome. But not as good as Bilateral or The Congregation.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #520 on: October 30, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »
Yeah Malina is great. Not a single weak song.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #521 on: October 30, 2018, 04:28:51 PM »
Yet I think it’s their weakest album after Coal :biggrin:
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: October 30, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »
excuse me, Coal is their best album

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #523 on: October 31, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »
no :)
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: October 31, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »
no :)

That's a very weird way to spell "You're right, K-LOX!"