Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 95371 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Leprous - v. Malina
« Reply #455 on: August 29, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »
Due to hitting a festival hard this weekend and visiting my Dad in hospital I finally got around to listening to Malina today.

I really liked it on first listen. I love the added strings and after only hearing each single once, previously, I was surprised by how much they had actually stuck in my head. I'm looking forward to continued listens and how this will grow.

Leprous have cemented themselves as a favourite of mine and I just love what they create, it feels so fresh and unlike anyone else.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #456 on: August 30, 2017, 02:04:48 AM »
I had my first listen of Malina on Monday, and have had a few more listens since then. I'm still not too sure what I think of the album; so far, I think there are a few tracks that I don't think are interesting enough, but there are also a few standouts (Mirage, for example, is incredible, especially the chorus!). Overall it might be their weakest album so far in my eyes, but it's still very good. And as I said, I still need a few more listens.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #457 on: September 02, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »
Bit late with commenting, but this album has grown quite a bit on me after leaving me not too impressed at first listen. There are a few choruses that really jump out and stick now. The highlight of the album for me is easily Mirage (that bass and the chorus are just epic  :metal) followed by Bonneville, Stuck and Illuminate. Malina does kind of pale in comparison to all the amazing releases so far but is still a pretty solid release. I'd probably rank it as my third favourite Leprous album, below Bilateral and The Congretation.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #458 on: September 02, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
Coal and The Congregration grabbed me right away, this one doesn't. I also don't have interest in it right now. I'll just save it for when I'm in the mood. Which is definitely not now, the weather's far too nice these days for this kind of music.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #459 on: September 03, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
the weather's far too nice these days for this kind of music.

It's been raining here for a week straight. Though I actually prefer that to the endless sunshine.  :lol

Offline LordCost

« Reply #460 on: October 31, 2017, 10:52:19 AM »
The setlists so far have been fantastic. It's great to have unexpected songs every night. I don't know what to expect for Milan concert :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #461 on: October 31, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
You can expect Bonneville and Stuck as the first two songs :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lethean

« Reply #462 on: October 31, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
They're changing the setlist each night? That's awesome.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #463 on: October 31, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »
Yeah :) seeing them tomorrow :) :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: October 31, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »
Yeah, and some changes are pretty huge. They've played all of the new album by this point, and there were some songs that debuted live from the previous albums. That's indeed awesome.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #465 on: October 31, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »
I'm kinda surprised how polarizing this album is. Full disclosure, this was my first intro to Leprous so maybe I didn't have any preconceived notions and this is like if Metallica released a 90s era grunge Pearl Jam rip off or something, but musically on its own I'm surprised how divided reactions are. I really like it. Others seem to HATE it. H-A-T-E it.

Even angrymetalguy.com, whose reviews I like for exposure to new releases had 2 staff members review it. It went as expected. One guy loved it. The other thought the CD was basically best used as a shiny coaster.

The only thing holding it back from me really, really liking it a lot is the over reliance on monotonistic syncopation at times. Buh duh nuh nuh nuh nuh da dun dun duh just isn't that interesting (my same beef with most djent). But the bulk of it where they don't fall into that trap is just good solid well played and written music to my ears.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #466 on: October 31, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
Just listened to Bilateral for the first time in quite a bit, and I have to say that album still sounds absolutely stunning. It's a shame that three attempts later they haven't done anything half as exciting or well executed.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #467 on: October 31, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
Yeah, and some changes are pretty huge. They've played all of the new album by this point, and there were some songs that debuted live from the previous albums. That's indeed awesome.
That's incredible.  I hope they keep this up when the tour the states.  (Assuming they do).   Their previous tours have been the exact same set each night, no changes at all.  Glad they've decided to mix things up this time around.

I'm kinda surprised how polarizing this album is. Full disclosure, this was my first intro to Leprous so maybe I didn't have any preconceived notions and this is like if Metallica released a 90s era grunge Pearl Jam rip off or something, but musically on its own I'm surprised how divided reactions are. I really like it. Others seem to HATE it. H-A-T-E it.

Even angrymetalguy.com, whose reviews I like for exposure to new releases had 2 staff members review it. It went as expected. One guy loved it. The other thought the CD was basically best used as a shiny coaster.

The only thing holding it back from me really, really liking it a lot is the over reliance on monotonistic syncopation at times. Buh duh nuh nuh nuh nuh da dun dun duh just isn't that interesting (my same beef with most djent). But the bulk of it where they don't fall into that trap is just good solid well played and written music to my ears.

For what it's worth, I like all of their previous albums, and I like this one too. :)

Offline Onno

« Reply #468 on: November 02, 2017, 04:47:37 AM »
Yeah :) seeing them tomorrow :) :)
It was awesome!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #469 on: November 02, 2017, 05:30:54 AM »
Indeed it was!
Squ

Offline LordCost

« Reply #470 on: November 02, 2017, 05:39:51 AM »
You got Bilateral :eek
I'm not a fan of that song, but I'd love to get something so unexpected. The third song is usually the one which changes a lot in the setlist

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #471 on: November 02, 2017, 06:09:41 AM »
Yeah, I did not expect that track at all. Apparently that was the first time they played it since 2011.
Squ

Offline Onno

« Reply #472 on: November 02, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
To be honest, I think I didn't actually like that song that much before yesterday's show. For me, for some reason, it was a bit of an underwhelming opener to a fantastic album. However, seeing it live yesterday made me realize how awesome that song is. I was really surprised when they started playing it, and it sounded fantastic.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #473 on: November 02, 2017, 07:42:55 AM »
And like I said to you yesterday; I enjoyed it a lot, but it was a bit sloppy and some parts of it didn't really turn out right. That's not surprising at all though; the band must have rehearsed about 20-25 songs for this tour based on what they've played so far. That they're screwing up a little on a song 60% of the band has never even played before isn't that much of a big deal. The band was ridiculously tight on every other track and it was a beautiful surprise to get that song regardless of how they played it :)
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #474 on: November 02, 2017, 08:02:32 AM »
I didn't know another DTF member was with you :omg: I would've said hi!

Anyway great concert, loved hearing Bilateral, frankly wasn't as excited about Mirage as I expected from how much I love the studio version. Some not as heavy moments on the album came out heavier live (Weight of Disaster outro), while that heavy Mirage part was just kinda eh.

Regardless, loved the show, Agent Fresco was really good too and I enjoyed meeting up with 3 of the guys from Alithia and having a :hat with them afterwards, they're cool guys.

Did they really play a short version of Rewind? Preetty sure it was the whole thing
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #475 on: November 02, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »
That's what the setlist said on Facebook, but it was the whole thing definitely. The 'short version' doesn't go to the heavy blastbeat part; they did that one in Melkweg earlier this year.

Sorry for not introducing you guys to each other :lol we were literally with 4 DTF people within a couple meters distance (counting home here as well) :lol , but when I saw you guys Onno was just getting drinks I think. Pretty fun evening, I saw lots of people there I recognised from concerts and festivals :)

Unfortunately I had to leave straight away, due to travel time and work the next day, so I didn't see you after the show. I saw the Agent Fresco guys and Baard from Leprous at the merch-stand, but didn't say hi. That's the problem with having to travel to see shows I guess; if I'd lived in Haarlem (or closer than I do) I would have been able to stay a little longer.
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: November 02, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
Good to see Bilateral in the setlist. I wonder what other surprises they have for the rest of the tour. So far they've played four songs from Bilateral, five from Coal, all of The Congregation except Triumphant and Within My Fence, and all of Malina. That's 29 songs total, pretty impressive.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #477 on: November 02, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
And like I said to you yesterday; I enjoyed it a lot, but it was a bit sloppy and some parts of it didn't really turn out right. That's not surprising at all though; the band must have rehearsed about 20-25 songs for this tour based on what they've played so far. That they're screwing up a little on a song 60% of the band has never even played before isn't that much of a big deal. The band was ridiculously tight on every other track and it was a beautiful surprise to get that song regardless of how they played it :)

I saw the video on youtube and it wasn't perfect, but I don't care.
It's only the fifth time ever that song has been played. Painful Detour has been played 3 times and Mediocrity Wins only 1 time a night when they played the whole album. Even Cryptogenic Desires has been played more than Bilateral from that album.

I think they will play Passing as the 30th song, but anything can happen.

Offline Onno

« Reply #478 on: November 03, 2017, 04:58:15 AM »
I didn't know another DTF member was with you :omg: I would've said hi!

I didn't know you were there either  :rollin

Unfortunately I had to leave straight away, due to travel time and work the next day, so I didn't see you after the show. I saw the Agent Fresco guys and Baard from Leprous at the merch-stand, but didn't say hi. That's the problem with having to travel to see shows I guess; if I'd lived in Haarlem (or closer than I do) I would have been able to stay a little longer.
Yeah, agreed. Ah well, next time!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #479 on: June 01, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »
Okay, not sure if anyone else caught their "June 1st" post on Facebook, apparently it referred to a new song: https://open.spotify.com/album/34B4QDyqjXZIhAsc0dZNeq?si=h69OsCEWT7y8zyaHnEBmVA

Sounds like a Malina b-side to be honest, not bad, need more listens, chorus really good. That's all
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #480 on: June 01, 2018, 04:20:54 AM »
Cool, will listen this afternoon
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #481 on: June 01, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
sounds like a slightly better version of illuminate tbh
that's not much of a compliment tho

Offline LordCost

« Reply #482 on: June 01, 2018, 03:58:39 PM »
I read it's a Malina B-side. It didn't fit on the album, so they released it as a standalone song

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #483 on: June 01, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »
It's a good song! I love what the drums and guitars are doing, and the vocals are nice. Need to give Malina another couple spins.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #484 on: August 05, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »
Just getting into this band after getting tickets to the Haken-Leprous-Bent Knee show in Nashville this November. After listening to the albums on you tube I purchased Bilateral first and Tall Poppy Syndrome.  The latest 3 albums have not clicked for me.  I really think that I like the quirky/unexpected music from this band.

As for the concert, I have heard Haken and Leprous are co-headlining and along with Bent Knee how much time will the bands be given.  This is my first no seating concert and at 61 I will be tired after this concert.

I do not expect much from Tall Poppy Syndrome or Bilateral but Waste of Air from Bilateral would be a great live song and White from Tall Poppy is golden.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:29:42 PM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #485 on: August 05, 2018, 06:11:48 PM »
Just getting into this band after getting tickets to the Haken-Leprous-Bent Knee show in Nashville this November. After listening to the albums on you tube I purchased Bilateral first and Tall Poppy Syndrome.  The latest 3 albums have not clicked for me.  I really think that I like the quirky/unexpected music from this band.

As for the concert, I have heard Haken and Leprous are co-headlining and along with Bent Knee how much time will the bands be given.  This is my first no seating concert and at 61 I will be tired after this concert.

I do not expect much from Tall Poppy Syndrome or Bilateral but Waste of Air from Bilateral would be a great live song and White from Tall Poppy is golden.

Where did you get Poppy? Been looking to buy it for ages but only ever found used copies and I want new.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »
Mike, I would love to be wrong but don't expect anything from TPS.  If it happens, great, but they're really focused on the new stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #487 on: August 05, 2018, 06:44:29 PM »
when i saw them in 2016 they didn't play a single TPS song and now they've got an entire extra album of new material since then so yeah  :lol
i think they did play one or two bilateral songs at least but i'd expect at least half their set to be malina, unfortunately

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #488 on: August 05, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »

Where did you get Poppy? Been looking to buy it for ages but only ever found used copies and I want new.

Sorry to get your hopes up, but bought it off iTunes. Online it was 75 dollars or more for a hard copy. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #489 on: August 05, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »
That's so cool that you're 61 and digging this kind of music, Mike. I recently got into Leprous thanks to Lethean urging me to check out Bilateral, Tall Poppy Syndrome, and Coal. Coal is my personal favorite by a long shot, but I haven't heard all their albums yet. Looking forward to the shows this November. Have fun. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"