Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 95382 times)

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls
« Reply #945 on: March 23, 2022, 01:36:12 PM »
LA tonight!  Looking forward to this since I've been listening to Leprous a lot more since my last time seeing them, plus I've been wanting to see The Ocean for years so I'm really excited for them  :metal

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #946 on: March 23, 2022, 06:16:28 PM »
Got tickets to see Leprous in Ottawa!! :metal :metal Gonna be my second time seeing them.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #947 on: March 23, 2022, 06:55:59 PM »
Got tickets to see Leprous in Ottawa!! :metal :metal Gonna be my second time seeing them.

Awesome! I got my ticket for Toronto...can't wait! The only other time I could have seen them was on the Leprous/Haken tour, and I was alone with my daughter. Two albums later, this setlist is absolutely perfect!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #948 on: April 17, 2022, 09:01:05 AM »
Well, how was it?

I saw them last night, first time in over two years I goy to see them again. What a fantastic shoe with an amazing setlist. Astounding stuff!

Tor had his ankle fractured at the Toronto ahow, so he had a brace around his foot and Einar got back literally two hours before the show from picking up hos Ukrainian girlfriend’s family at the border with Moldova. He allegedly drove 15 hours a day all the way from his hometown in Norway to collect them and be at the festival on time. What a hero. Needless to say, he was visible exhausted and emotional, but delivered a great performance nonetheless. I think I have never seen him be as funny on stage as he was yesterday either.

For all the people who think Leprous is going in the wrong direction with their latest albums… check out last night’s setlist and be jealous :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #949 on: April 17, 2022, 10:09:00 AM »
Yeah, they played Rewind right?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #950 on: April 17, 2022, 10:32:45 AM »
Among others, yes
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Lethean

« Reply #951 on: April 17, 2022, 02:56:07 PM »
That sounds awesome Elite.  I'm glad Einar made it back safely and everyone's OK.  And glad you got to see what I'm sure was an awesome show from them (because they pretty much always are).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #952 on: April 17, 2022, 03:01:09 PM »
lol, I wrote 'shoe' instead of 'show' in the post above

Yes, it was great! I've seen hem way too many times already, but it's always fun to see them and these setlists with heavy callbacks to previous albums are extra fun, because they're quite rare from them (although I get the feeling they've been doing it a little more often now, especially with all the Covid online concerts). I mean, it's kind of tellig when you do a By Request setlist at a prog festival and the setlist relies heavily on the first four albums. Apparently that's what people still want to hear them do. I'm not complaining, I love all their stuff :)
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #953 on: April 17, 2022, 05:36:10 PM »
WHAT they played DARE YOU?

God damn I'm jealous. That's become my favorite Leprous song and it's so far removed from what the band has become that I was certain they'd never play that live again.

And of course for tonight's Devin Townsend show the setlist is back to being completely boring. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #954 on: April 17, 2022, 08:14:38 PM »
Dare You is one of my favorite Leprous songs and I was incredibly happy that they did it on one of their live streams.  I hope it stays in the rotation from time to time.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #955 on: April 17, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who loves that song. It's super fun.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #956 on: April 17, 2022, 10:29:26 PM »
Yes it is.  That intro is so cool and then the song builds on it and it's perfect. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: June 24, 2022, 08:47:51 AM »
New US dates announced 4 days ago:

LEPROUS – North American Tour with Apocalyptica & Wheel:

9/6/22 Athens, GA - Georgia Theatre
9/7/22 Charlotte, NC - Underground
9/8/22 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
9/9/22 Baltimore, MD - Soundstage
9/13/22 Portland, ME - State Theatre
9/14/22 Long Island, NY - Paramount Theatre
9/15/22 Montclair, NJ - Wellmount Theatre
9/16/22 Philadelphia, PA - TLA
9/17/22 Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
9/18/22 Cleveland, OH - House Of Blues
9/20/22 Fort Wayne, IN - Pierres
9/21/22 Grand Rapids, MI - Intersection
9/23/22 Nashville, TN - Brooklyn Bowl
9/24/22 Indianapolis, IN - Vogue
9/25/22 Milwaukee, WI - Eagles
9/26/22 Sauget, IL - Pops
9/27/22 Lawrence, KS - Liberty Hall
9/28/22 Denver, CO - Summit
9/30/22 Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theatre
10/1/22 San Diego, CA - Observatory
10/2/22 Santa Ana, CA - Observatory
10/4/22 Las Vegas, NV - Brooklyn Bowl
10/5/22 Ventura, CA - Ventura Theatre
10/6/22 Santa Cruz, CA - Catalyst

LEPROUS – Live 2022/2023:
05.11.2022 Turku-Stockholm-Turku (Finland/Sweden) - Nordic Metal Cruise
20.11.2022 Helsinki (Finland) - Ice Hall + Apocalyptica
18.03.2023 Oslo (Norway) - Sentrum Scene
And many more shows to be announced soon…

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #958 on: July 22, 2022, 01:53:13 PM »
They added a show in West Chicago on Sept 20th (Ft Wayne show got moved to the 19th). My friend and I just got tickets.

It's kind of random - the WC show is in a dumpy-looking strip mall one town over from me that I drive past all the time. I didn't even know there was a music venue in there. I wonder if the booking agent saw "West Chicago" and assumed it was somewhere in Chicago proper (it's not - it's a separate suburb many miles west). But hey, cool. They're playing right by my house, so I don't have to drive into the city for it.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #959 on: August 27, 2022, 03:55:10 AM »
I totally forgot to report that my first Leprous live experience was just unbelievable. The energy and passion this band is putting into their concerts is amazing. I was completely blown away by their professionalism (even when the delay gave out just before Distant Bells) and their musicality and chemistry they have with each other. Also, I would like to once again ask everyone to appreciate Robin Ognedal's super tasty Strat playing that forms a perfect contrast to Toro's 8 string riffing and imo makes the band's sound perfect. I seriously hope this line up never changes.

Also, in the Haken thread I mentioned the perks of living in a big city like Vienna. I walked to the venue from my place and look who I ran into:

That's my buddy Rich on the left and me with the Haken shirt on the right. Baard immediately asked us to sit down with him and offered us a sip from his shisha  :lol We chatted with him for a good half hour. I got to meet the others after the concert too. They are all super nice  :tup I can't wait to see this band again during the Aphelion tour!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Lethean

« Reply #960 on: September 25, 2022, 08:39:27 PM »
Seeing The Sky is Red being played live was amazing. The first time I had no idea what to expect and the light-show overwhelmed me. The second time, I knew what was coming, but it was still awesome. The video doesn't replicate what it's like when you're there in the audience, so I suggest you go see them live whenever that's possible again :)

I can now say that I've seen The Sky is Red live in person.  And it was indeed awesome.  Unfortunately Simen had to miss the tour so the bass was on backing tracks - so I guess I still have to see it with the full band.  But it still ruled.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: January 09, 2023, 09:48:53 AM »

Offline Pettor

« Reply #962 on: February 02, 2023, 12:33:35 AM »
Leprous is on tour now in selected locations in Europe. I listen to them now and then but haven't been so into their new stuff. However thought I would watch them on the tour.

Holy shit ;D This band is amazing live. Honestly one of those rare occasions where I got so hypnotized by the concert time just disappear. Realized I knew most of the songs on the playlist but just haven't fully gotten into some of them before. Like Sky is Red which just kills live. The energy, vibe, mix, atmosphere; all just next level stuff.

Also in a genre with skilled musicians I think this maybe was one of the most impressive display of musicianship. Not that they fire of 1000 notes per second, but just because the rythm and tight playing is hypnotizing. Einar is one in a million and I can't remember last time I was this impressed with a drummer. Fire!

Oh also, for the tour they have a musician on cello. Supercool addition!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 12:52:38 AM by Pettor »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #963 on: February 02, 2023, 02:43:02 AM »
Leprous is on tour now in selected locations in Europe. I listen to them now and then but haven't been so into their new stuff. However thought I would watch them on the tour.

Holy shit ;D This band is amazing live. Honestly one of those rare occasions where I got so hypnotized by the concert time just disappear. Realized I knew most of the songs on the playlist but just haven't fully gotten into some of them before. Like Sky is Red which just kills live. The energy, vibe, mix, atmosphere; all just next level stuff.

Also in a genre with skilled musicians I think this maybe was one of the most impressive display of musicianship. Not that they fire of 1000 notes per second, but just because the rythm and tight playing is hypnotizing. Einar is one in a million and I can't remember last time I was this impressed with a drummer. Fire!

Oh also, for the tour they have a musician on cello. Supercool addition!
You were in Gothenburg last night? I'll see them in Ljubljana, Slovenia in less than 4 weeks. Checked the setlist, it's expected and predictable but I'll be happy with whatever they play.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #964 on: February 02, 2023, 03:32:21 AM »
They’ve had Raphael on cello for several tours already. He’s been on the past few records as well. Really excited to see them once again this weekend.
Squ

Offline Lethean

« Reply #965 on: February 02, 2023, 07:10:35 AM »
 :metal  Awesome to read that review of the show.  Leprous is an amazing live band. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #966 on: February 10, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »
Einar has a solo album coming out and released the first song today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Ol_LSma6k

I need to listen to it more, but it sounds pretty good.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #967 on: February 11, 2023, 11:42:45 AM »
To me it doesn't sound like something that couldn't be on a Leprous album.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #968 on: February 11, 2023, 05:50:05 PM »
Agreed.  But I don't really think that's a bad thing.

Online The Realm

« Reply #969 on: February 12, 2023, 02:47:40 AM »
Gave it one listen and didn't mind it. I think Einar also has his own thread for this discussion, I saw it somewhere..

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #970 on: February 13, 2023, 01:46:10 AM »
Agreed.  But I don't really think that's a bad thing.
Not saying that either, but it always surprises me one some people do a solo project and it sounds extremely close to what they've been doing in their main band. Maybe the rest of it will be quite different and this is a single to hook the main fans in.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #971 on: February 13, 2023, 07:20:14 AM »
I think that's possible.  Or it could be that he just wanted to do something on his own and work with a bunch of people and have full control.  I know he's the main songwriter in Leprous but there's some compromise here and there.  Either way I'm curious about what the rest will sound like.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #972 on: February 13, 2023, 08:50:30 AM »
People are complaining that the last two Leprous albums sound too much like Solberg solo - an opinion I absolutely don't share, for two reasons:

1. Just because they turned down the distortion a little and melodies became more accessible, doesn't mean that it's suddenly a solo project by the singer. People often forget what involving a band into the arrangement process means. Einar has always been the main songwriter for the band. And if anything, I think the characteristic features of the other musicians can be heard MORE on the last two albums. Especially Baard's rhythmic influences and the brilliant contrast between Tor's deep, djenty riff-based guitar and Robin's bluesy Strat sound.

2. Einar Solberg has never released a solo record. How the hell are people supposed to know how one would sound? Many fans have been saying that the last two Leprous albums sound like a Solberg solo album - and now that Solberg actually DOES release a solo record and puts the music that they think belongs on a solo album on said solo album, they STILL complain? I don't get it  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #973 on: February 13, 2023, 09:22:10 AM »
You're lumping people under "they" that shouldn't be lumped in together.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #974 on: February 13, 2023, 09:28:34 AM »
The band stated in an interview that The Congregation is the most Solo-Solberg album on their discography. The albums afterwards are more of a band effort.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #975 on: February 13, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »
And I remember people complaining about The Congregation being an Einar solo album as well.  Probably after reading the credits.  And Einar not "letting" others contribute.  To me it doesn't matter who's writing the music as long as it's good.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #976 on: March 04, 2023, 03:39:52 AM »
Saw them yesterday, for the second time. I think this time they performed even better than the previous. It was fun to see the crowd not vote for Distant Bells and pick The Valley instead, which is one of my favourites (they let the people vote one out of 5 songs).

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #977 on: March 04, 2023, 10:08:16 AM »
My brother and I attended a show in Ljubljana. We were joking about them playing Forced Entry for days, as it is one of our favorites. Can't believe they actually played it ;D it was voted among 4 songs and almost lost to the Alleviate :huh:

Offline Pettor

« Reply #978 on: March 04, 2023, 10:37:20 AM »
Whaaaaaaaaaaat!?! Forced Entry is one of my favorite songs with them. Loved the show in Gothenburg but they played nothing from Bilateral. Cool for you anyway, that song is a blast and can't even imagine how cool it must be live.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #979 on: March 04, 2023, 10:54:08 AM »
Whaaaaaaaaaaat!?! Forced Entry is one of my favorite songs with them. Loved the show in Gothenburg but they played nothing from Bilateral. Cool for you anyway, that song is a blast and can't even imagine how cool it must be live.
Yeah, for the first time on this tour. And apparently they included it because Einar remembered it got lukewarm reception 10 years ago when they were there :lol