Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 96687 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls
« Reply #805 on: December 05, 2020, 09:21:39 AM »
These guys were great back in the day.  Last couple decade of albums do nothing for me.

Bilateral is Leprous’s Crack the Skye by Mastodon. The entire album deserves to be played live at some point in the future.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #806 on: December 07, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »
I'd be shocked if they ever go back to making that kind of music again.  They've clearly moved on.

For me the vocals are the barrier.  I'm not a fan of vocalists who lean heavily on falsetto - it's just a style preference thing.   When I hear falsetto it's like fingernails on a chalk board.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: December 07, 2020, 01:06:51 PM »
While I also am not a fan of the direction the band has been taking, I did enjoy that song.  But it seems to be exactly the same style they are trending towards.  I wish they'd find more variety to their sound like Bilateral has, even if they don't go back to being metal, at least vary the style up enough. 

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: December 07, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
While I also am not a fan of the direction the band has been taking, I did enjoy that song.  But it seems to be exactly the same style they are trending towards.  I wish they'd find more variety to their sound like Bilateral has, even if they don't go back to being metal, at least vary the style up enough.

Exactly. I would love to hear some Bilateral style songs even though that new song was really cool tune.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #809 on: December 08, 2020, 01:50:04 PM »
I listened to the new song about 4-5 times and I absolutely love it. That is one amazing song. And I think it goes without saying that Einar's vocals are out of this world. I understand that his omnipresent, extremely dramatic style is not everybody's thing, but it has always been Leprous' trademark singing style, so I don't quite get the complaint(s) here. I hope, this will be on the next album.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #810 on: December 10, 2020, 12:28:26 PM »
That new single is great. Knowing they played it one take and watching the video is excellent.

AMAZING vocal.

EDIT : I had Bilateral back in the day but it didn't stick and i never went back, tho I love Einar on Ihsahns stuff. Listening to Pitfalls now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 12:47:58 PM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #811 on: December 12, 2020, 02:24:10 PM »
That new single is great. Knowing they played it one take and watching the video is excellent.

AMAZING vocal.

EDIT : I had Bilateral back in the day but it didn't stick and i never went back, tho I love Einar on Ihsahns stuff. Listening to Pitfalls now.

I haven't heard Pitfalls yet. The only music by Leprous I know up to now is Congregation and Malina (and the new single). I decided to get into this band very consciously and to only continue with another album once I have the feeling that I really know the album I checked out before.

I ordered the limited vinyl of Coal together with Congre from InsideOut completely unheard when I got into the band a few months back. I'm very excited to hear it. It has the disadvantage of not having Baard Kolstad on it though, but maybe his predecessor was good as well. I think, Baard's drumming is fantastic, and essential to this band.

Pitfalls is not yet in my collection, but I don't think I can resist investing in one of the vinyl versions for much longer. I heard it's not very metal-y, but has a pretty big production.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #812 on: December 12, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »
I ordered the limited vinyl of Coal together with Congre from InsideOut completely unheard when I got into the band a few months back. I'm very excited to hear it. It has the disadvantage of not having Baard Kolstad on it though, but maybe his predecessor was good as well. I think, Baard's drumming is fantastic, and essential to this band.

The previous drummer spammed floor toms less, at least. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #813 on: December 13, 2020, 04:43:45 AM »
Okay, I listened to COAL for the first time, and wow, this album takes a very weird/brutal turn towards the end  :lol I like it very much, it's hard to completely judge it after one listen though. I think I'll give this album a second spin right now.

By the way, since I'm relatively new to this thread: Is the name of the thread a nod to Pain Of Salvation?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: January 07, 2021, 11:11:07 PM »
On January 16th leprous will perform “The congregation” in its entirety! Get your tickets here: https://watch.munin.live/products/leprous-the-congregation-live

:metal

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: February 18, 2021, 08:54:26 AM »
After just having completed an adventurous online-songwriting real-time project, Norwegian Rock outfit LEPROUS are now launching a behind-the-scenes video for their newest single “Castaway Angels”, which was released in December worldwide via InsideOutMusic.

Check out the interesting clip here:
https://youtu.be/ZLk9ksi29AU

:metal

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #816 on: February 18, 2021, 09:11:56 AM »
Also, they're streaming live performances of both Malina and Pitfalls this weekend :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline DTA

« Reply #817 on: February 20, 2021, 05:04:26 AM »
I will never get tired of watching Baard play The Sky Is Red...what a masterpiece of drumming and creativity

Offline Lethean

« Reply #818 on: February 23, 2021, 08:50:39 AM »
Just wanted to say that the Leprous streams for Malina and Pitfalls were incredible.  Einar was phenomenal - certainly the best I've heard him on one of these streams including the one for The Congregation which was prerecorded.  The streams have been extended to 02-27 and I can't recommend them enough.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: March 03, 2021, 08:54:50 AM »
From Leprous FB page

Nobody knows how the situation will be in December, but what we do know is that Leprous have a 20 years anniversary and we really hope that we'll get to celebrate that with you guys on the road! Tickets available from Friday March 5th!
03/12 -  🇳🇱 Nijmegen, Doornroosje
04/12 - 🇬🇧 London, Electric Ballroom
05/12 - 🇫🇷 Paris, Elysee Montmartre
06/12 - 🇩🇪 Aschaffenburg, Colos-Saal
07/12 - 🇦🇹 Vienna, Arena
08/12 - 🇱🇺 Esch, Rockhal
09/12 - 🇫🇷 Lyon, Ninkasi Kao
10/12 - 🇪🇸 Barcelona, Apolo 1
11/12 - 🇪🇸 Madrid, LAB
13/12 - 🇮🇹 Milan, Live Club
14/12 - 🇨🇭 Aarau, KiFF
15/12 - 🇩🇪 Munich, Technikum
16/12 - 🇩🇪 Berlin, Columbia Theater

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: March 03, 2021, 10:38:59 AM »
Damn. I have a vacation planned in December but it's closer to Christmas, otherwise I would've totally considered hitting Aarau and Munich dates.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #821 on: March 04, 2021, 01:27:41 AM »
Will see the guys in Vienna  :metal

I have never seen them live and I'm very excited to hear to great aaAAAaaAAAAAaaaa's

Offline Lethean

« Reply #822 on: March 04, 2021, 12:38:39 PM »
I hope they stream one of the shows so we can all celebrate with them. :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #823 on: March 31, 2021, 10:30:43 AM »
Bilateral in it's entirety on April 10th, and Coal in it's entirety on April 11th.

I'll be there for the Bilateral day, because I will finally get to hear them play Thorn live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #824 on: March 31, 2021, 10:52:09 AM »
I’m going to watch both those shows :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: June 09, 2021, 08:48:57 AM »
LEPROUS – Announce new studio album 'Aphelion'!

Creative Norwegian Rock outfit LEPROUS are pleased to announce the release of their new studio album 'Aphelion,' coming August 27th, 2021 worldwide via InsideOutMusic.

Following up on 2019’s highly acclaimed 'Pitfalls' album, LEPROUS recorded 'Aphelion' throughout the last year at three different studios: Ghost Ward Studios in Sweden, Ocean Sound Recordings in Norway and Cederberg Studios in Norway. The album was once again mixed by Adam Noble (Placebo, Biffy Clyro, Nothing But Thieves, etc.), mastered by Robin Schmidt (The 1975, Placebo, The Gaslight Anthem, etc.) and its front cover artwork - designed by Elena Sigida, based on photography by Øystein Aspelund - can be seen above.

LEPROUS vocalist/keyboardist Einar Solberg checked in about 'Aphelion' as follows:
"We had no plans to start with a new album, then came Covid. 'Aphelion"'is a very different album. It's intuitive and spontaneous. We've experimented with many completely different ways of writing music and explored new ways to work. There has been no room for overthinking, exaggerated perfectionism or carefully planned songs. I believe this is one of the strengths of this album. It feels alive, it feels free and it does not come across as too calculated.
The album was recorded in three different studios, and a few of the songs were actually recorded in all three studios, Ghost Ward Studios, Ocean Sound Recordings and Cederberg Studios.

The aphelion is the point in the orbit of an object where it is farthest from the sun, and it has a symbolic value which I will leave to your own interpretation."

Look out for the album pre-order to start on June 25th, 2021, enhanced by the release of a new single!

In the meantime, feel free to re-visit the band’s latest single “Castaway Angels” here:
https://leprousband.lnk.to/CastawayAngels-SinglePR

Check out its video clip directed by Tobias Hole Aasgaarden / South Coast Creative here:
https://youtu.be/85drl9-lqRU

And watch an interesting behind-the-scenes video for the recordings of “Castaway Angels” here:
https://youtu.be/ZLk9ksi29AU

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #826 on: June 09, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
Fuck

Yes

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #827 on: June 09, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »
Very excited for this. It comes out the same day as Neal Morse's new album. I wonder what more albums will come out in late August? Last year, the new Tangent, Morse, Pain Of Salvation and Gungfly all came out on the last two Fridays of August (if I recall correctly).

I'm more excited for this release though. I look forward to hearing new Morse music, but his albums are mostly what you'd expect and you can always count on him. Leprous tend to move into different directions with each album.

Castaway Angels was one of the best songs I heard last year. Completely blew me away. I would LOVE if that song is on their new album. But I doubt it, that would be a very unusual move for InsideOut.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #828 on: June 09, 2021, 09:57:33 AM »
This is gonna be the best thing this year. You heard it here first.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: June 09, 2021, 04:33:27 PM »
I am quite pumped for this disc. Pitfalls was unbelievable and touched me deeply. I love the direction Leprous have been heading.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #830 on: June 10, 2021, 02:25:39 PM »
I’ve been digging them since Coal. Went back and Bilateral’s cool as well. I thought the Congregation was the best so far, Malina is still slowly growing on me. But Pitfalls was a total hit with me. Less metal but still musically ‘heavy’. And ‘The Sky is Red’ still provides that prog metal punch.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #831 on: June 12, 2021, 08:55:40 AM »
So what's everyone's opinion on Pitfalls?

The good news of a new Leprous album coming soon made me wanna go back to that album. I have discovered Leprous only a year ago (although I always knew of their existence since I'm a Haken fan). And I absolutely love their dent-infused staccato riff prog metal. But Pitfalls is so brilliantly arranged and has such great hook lines that I can live without the Congregation-style on that album ;)

My favorites are The Sky Is Red (duh) and Distant Bells. The former shows Baard at its best. He also finally found his optimal drum sound (imo). That snare drum sound? Hell yeah! Whenever that Stratocaster "solo" kicks in at 5:06 I lose it. Amazing part. I put the word solo in quotation marks, because it's not a real solo like the ones you'd expect from a prog metal band. I love that this band functions as a unit, with every instrument being equally important. Yeah, maybe the vocals are above that, but still. Very few to no solos, I think that's awesome (also liked that on Vector & Virus by Haken). And that song's (and album's) finale is just DEMONIC.
Distant Bells builds up for a long time, seems to die down around 5:30, but then just explodes into that huge chorus, with Solberg singing like his life depended on it. I wish I could sing/scream along  ;)

Pitfalls has gotten some criticism for abandoning the band's sound, but I don't feel that way. I think it's an amazing album!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #832 on: June 12, 2021, 09:56:19 AM »
Upon release I felt Malina was a slightly awkward transition to non-metal stuff. Pitfalls went for it and totally succeeded I think. And looking back, I now appreciate Malina for just that transitional sound. That said, The Sky is Red is still pretty prog-metal and a good one at that.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #833 on: June 12, 2021, 10:01:53 AM »
Some days I listen to Forced Entry or Dare You and remember when the band sounded like they were having fun.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DTA

« Reply #834 on: June 12, 2021, 10:57:02 AM »
So what's everyone's opinion on Pitfalls?

The good news of a new Leprous album coming soon made me wanna go back to that album. I have discovered Leprous only a year ago (although I always knew of their existence since I'm a Haken fan). And I absolutely love their dent-infused staccato riff prog metal. But Pitfalls is so brilliantly arranged and has such great hook lines that I can live without the Congregation-style on that album ;)

My favorites are The Sky Is Red (duh) and Distant Bells. The former shows Baard at its best. He also finally found his optimal drum sound (imo). That snare drum sound? Hell yeah! Whenever that Stratocaster "solo" kicks in at 5:06 I lose it. Amazing part. I put the word solo in quotation marks, because it's not a real solo like the ones you'd expect from a prog metal band. I love that this band functions as a unit, with every instrument being equally important. Yeah, maybe the vocals are above that, but still. Very few to no solos, I think that's awesome (also liked that on Vector & Virus by Haken). And that song's (and album's) finale is just DEMONIC.
Distant Bells builds up for a long time, seems to die down around 5:30, but then just explodes into that huge chorus, with Solberg singing like his life depended on it. I wish I could sing/scream along  ;)

Pitfalls has gotten some criticism for abandoning the band's sound, but I don't feel that way. I think it's an amazing album!

The Sky Is Red is pretty close to musical perfection to me. The way everything weaves together and how Baard absolutely destroys it on drums puts me in a trance, which not a lot of prog metal has done in many years.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #835 on: June 12, 2021, 11:31:00 AM »
Some days I listen to Forced Entry or Dare You and remember when the band sounded like they were having fun.

I don't know their first two albums yet (have heard bits of Bilateral). But a band having fun is not a thing I implicitly need when hearing an album (I hope that doesn't sound like I'm an asshole lol). I like when I hear that a band seemed to have had a blast when recording the respective album. But I absolutely love a big number of albums that were made under very difficult circumstances or inspired by dramatic events in the artist's lives (Steely Dan - Gaucho, The Wall, Spirit Of Eden, Eagles - The Long Run, Pain Of Salvation - In The Passing Light). It might be a long shot to say that the best music in history has been inspired by heartbreak, sorrow and all kinds of difficult situations. But a lot of music has ;) I think, Pitfalls falls under that category, so I don't really need to hear the "fun" in the music on an album like that.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #836 on: June 24, 2021, 08:21:26 AM »
New single "Running Low" will be out tomorrow. I don't know why I am so excited for this because I won't even listen to it, but... this is my first Leprous release since I really got to know them. So, my first Leprous release since I am a fan  :metal

Pre-save the new single "Running Low"
https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/.../leprous-runninglow.../
📷 by Troll Toftenes

Also, I wonder why Dream Theater don't manage to get good pictures like this one (or the Tool pictures from 2 years ago for example). Their recent pictures have all been awkward, from a weird angle, with strange clothing choices (ok yeah, that's up to taste, but does anyone remember James' brown leather pants?) or with weird postures. This photo here has good lightning and just looks awesome, in my opinion.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #837 on: June 24, 2021, 08:58:45 AM »
New single "Running Low" will be out tomorrow. I don't know why I am so excited for this because I won't even listen to it, but... this is my first Leprous release since I really got to know them. So, my first Leprous release since I am a fan  :metal

Very curious to hear what it sounds like

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #838 on: June 24, 2021, 09:04:10 AM »

Pre-save the new single "Running Low"
https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/.../leprous-runninglow.../
📷 by Troll Toftenes

Also, I wonder why Dream Theater don't manage to get good pictures like this one (or the Tool pictures from 2 years ago for example). Their recent pictures have all been awkward, from a weird angle, with strange clothing choices (ok yeah, that's up to taste, but does anyone remember James' brown leather pants?) or with weird postures. This photo here has good lightning and just looks awesome, in my opinion.

Depends on the photographer they end up getting. And also, label representation plays into the style of photo as well.

Leprous are more of a classy style. They showcase this by wearing more formal wear. Even in their live shows. So this picture fits their style.

Dream Theater is not a classy style. They're more casual.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #839 on: June 24, 2021, 07:56:06 PM »
New single "Running Low" will be out tomorrow.
:caffeine: