Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 97712 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls
« Reply #735 on: October 29, 2019, 06:04:45 PM »
i always mentally pronounce "observe the train" the same is the chorus from illuminate so i'm just gonna pretend that's what the song actually sounds like from now on
illuminate is like a congregation b-side basically so it's a surprisingly alright malina cut. i'm going to pretend all of malina sounds that good

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #736 on: October 29, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
Meh. Bonneville and Stuck are the only songs from Malina I legitimately enjoy
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #737 on: October 29, 2019, 07:01:46 PM »
the best malina song is about on par with the worst congregation song, tbh
i remember how so few malina songs go though

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #738 on: October 30, 2019, 07:42:09 AM »
This album just gets better every day for me. There isn't a single track I dislike. The drumming and guitar work is mesmerizing, Einar's voice is awesome (and fits, unlike his spot in that new Voyager song), and the electronic flourishes keep bringing me back for more. It's that combination that makes Leprous sound Leprousy (badum tiss) to me. Honestly this could beat out Coal for my #1 at this rate but we'll see.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: October 30, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »
i remember how so few malina songs go though

how is that possible, they mostly all sound the same  :biggrin:

Meh. Bonneville and Stuck are the only songs from Malina I legitimately enjoy

I think Bonneville is my least favorite Malina song, and the new singles had just kind of reminded me of that vibe.  I actually really like Einar's voice and style, just lost interest in their overall sound.  I'm glad others are really enjoying it, and also, I do enjoy Einar in that new Voyager single. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #740 on: October 30, 2019, 08:31:10 AM »
This album just gets better every day for me. There isn't a single track I dislike. The drumming and guitar work is mesmerizing, Einar's voice is awesome (and fits, unlike his spot in that new Voyager song), and the electronic flourishes keep bringing me back for more. It's that combination that makes Leprous sound Leprousy (badum tiss) to me. Honestly this could beat out Coal for my #1 at this rate but we'll see.

They have this distinct groove in their music that makes their Leprous sound, including Einars vocals.

After first listen, Those grooves are amazing plus the build-ups. You can really feel that Massive Attack influence. It will definately get more plays from me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #741 on: October 31, 2019, 05:14:21 AM »

Coal is also my favorite. Dunno where Pitfalls sits currently, but it’s growing. I fucking love Observe the Train. That chorus is beautiful. At the Bottom hasn’t clicked for me yet, but I imagine it will. And I absolutely love the first half of The Sky is Red.

Not a bad song on the album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: October 31, 2019, 07:16:14 AM »

Except Observe the Train :neverusethis:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #743 on: October 31, 2019, 09:06:01 AM »
that steven wilson mellotron solo is so good tho!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #744 on: October 31, 2019, 01:56:05 PM »

Observe the Train is the best song of all time.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #745 on: October 31, 2019, 01:59:36 PM »

Observe the Train is the best song of all time.

It's one of the better ones on the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #746 on: October 31, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »
Observe the Train is very good.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #747 on: November 01, 2019, 01:47:41 PM »
The whole album is pretty damn good. Based on the direction I wasn't expecting it to be among my favorite albums of the year but it will be in my top 10 for sure.

It's different but still has typical Leprous sound and groove.
Seeing them live tomorrow and can't wait to hear the new songs live. Still hoping for some older material (Coal, Bilateral) as a bonus.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #748 on: November 03, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »
Ok I think Pitfalls could be my favorite Leprous album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #749 on: November 04, 2019, 04:52:08 AM »
I saw them live yesterday and was blown away by how ridiculously good it was. The setlist was fantastic (no spoilers), but the performance was spot on as well. The most interaction with the audience I’ve ever seen them do. This was the 15th time I’ve seen Leprous live, but this was without a doubt the best one I’ve seen from them. The new songs worked very well in a live setting as well, especially when coupled with their older material. The encore in particular was spectacular.

I honestly never thought they would top the Barcelona performance, but I think might have done just that yesterday. Seriously considering travelling a lot to see a second date. I also bought a shirt. I rarely buy shirts at the live show. That’s how good it was. Wow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: November 04, 2019, 04:53:37 AM »
I saw them live yesterday and was blown away by how ridiculously good it was. The setlist was fantastic (no spoilers), but the performance was spot on as well. The most interaction with the audience I’ve ever seen them do. This was the 15th time I’ve seen Leprous live, but this was without a doubt the best one I’ve seen from them. The new songs worked very well in a live setting as well, especially when coupled with their older material. The encore in particular was spectacular.

I honestly never thought they would top the Barcelona performance, but I think might have done just that yesterday. Seriously considering travelling a lot to see a second date. I also bought a shirt. I rarely buy shirts at the live show. That’s how good it was. Wow.

Hopefully they'll announce a date in Russia. Malina show was great but I thought it could use more interaction with the crowd. This sounds fantastic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: November 04, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »
I'm not sure if they said a single word to the crowd at the NYC show last year.  I thought they were a fantastic live band.  I wouldn't rule out seeing them again if they toured the US.  Actually would love to see them and Voyager do a coheadline tour.  Maybe bring in Caligula's Horse as well. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #752 on: November 04, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »

I saw them saturday in Nijmegen and completely agree with everything you're saying. The new songs worked fantastic and I was quite surprised how well they were received since the album has only been out for a week.
Most of the keyboards are handled by Simon, Robin and Tor (even the celloplayer was playing keys in some of the songs) so Einar is almost entirely focussing on the vocals.

I might go to the Antwerpen show this thursday to see them a second time this week.

Almost forget to mention the flawless performance by The Ocean which was worth the entrance fee on its own. 2 Pelagial songs and 3 songs of the last album. Fantastic band :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #753 on: November 05, 2019, 10:35:26 PM »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #754 on: November 06, 2019, 01:21:57 AM »

I might go to the Antwerpen show this thursday to see them a second time this week.

Almost forget to mention the flawless performance by The Ocean which was worth the entrance fee on its own. 2 Pelagial songs and 3 songs of the last album. Fantastic band :metal
They played 3 Pelagial songs! :lol but two of them were played right after one another so you don't notice it (Bathyalpelagic I and II)

Agree with all Elite said, the very last song (also will not be spoiling) was not even one of my personal favourites, but together with the visuals that was one of the most intense Leprous experiences I've had in I believe over 5 live shows now. They really are interacting more, moving past the Congregation cool-boys phase I guess. Einar even said something like "I will try talking in-between songs now" :lol

I saw them saturday in Nijmegen and completely agree with everything you're saying. The new songs worked fantastic and I was quite surprised how well they were received since the album has only been out for a week.
Most of the keyboards are handled by Simon, Robin and Tor (even the celloplayer was playing keys in some of the songs) so Einar is almost entirely focussing on the vocals.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:53:22 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #755 on: November 06, 2019, 05:22:15 AM »
^ quotefailure
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #756 on: November 06, 2019, 05:53:32 AM »
yes
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #757 on: November 06, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »
Einar even said something like "I will try talking in-between songs now" :lol

Can he not? That's always beyond cringey.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: November 06, 2019, 02:54:00 PM »
Einar even said something like "I will try talking in-between songs now" :lol

Can he not? That's always beyond cringey.

In general or specifically from Einar?  Maybe if he does it more, he'll get better at it and it will be less cringy.  I always find it's best for bands to engage with the audience even if only a little with the basic "hey (insert city)! We are (insert band name) and this is (insert song title)" just something to make it feel live. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: November 06, 2019, 09:31:19 PM »
"Hello, we're filming this for a DVD so I will have to take this in English!" - Einar

Also Einar: says about two sentences on the whole DVD

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #760 on: November 07, 2019, 12:08:02 AM »
Most of what he says on that live album is “alRIIIIIIIIGHT” and “come OOOOOOON” :lol
WELCOME IHSAAAAAAHN

Wait is that really the full sentence you typed? I always thought the first part of the sentence was Norwegian since I could never understand what he said there.. “*norwegian gibberish* so we have to take this!... in English”

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #761 on: November 07, 2019, 12:25:00 AM »
Most of what he says on that live album is “alRIIIIIIIIGHT” and “come OOOOOOON” :lol
WELCOME IHSAAAAAAHN

Wait is that really the full sentence you typed? I always thought the first part of the sentence was Norwegian since I could never understand what he said there.. “*norwegian gibberish* so we have to take this!... in English”

Yes, I always thought it was in Norwegian as well :lol
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: November 07, 2019, 02:11:08 AM »
It probably is, I also only remember the word DVD and the last part.  :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #763 on: November 07, 2019, 06:48:55 AM »
What song are we talking about?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: November 07, 2019, 10:33:56 AM »
Foe on Live at Rockfeller Music Hall, the last ~20 seconds.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4X08HElQuQt1gag19SVECb

I just kinda thought his accent was terrible here so I'm hearing words "alRIIIIGHT", "catalogue", "filming DVD" and "so I'll have to take this in English, alright?" :lol Now that I've listened to it like 10 more times, I'm fairly sure the first part is Norwegian though yeah.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #765 on: November 09, 2019, 04:35:47 PM »
He said "there are many people here tonight from abroad, and this is a DVD" in Norwegian, yes, just listened to it (three times hahaha).

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: November 15, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
I'm just listening to Pitfalls for the first time tonight. I'm so in love with "At the Bottom" that I've been listening to it on repeat for the past hour. It's my new favorite Leprous song for sure. I'll save the final three songs tomorrow. \m/
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #767 on: November 16, 2019, 03:12:41 AM »
At the Bottom is fantastic indeed!
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: November 16, 2019, 04:39:23 AM »
Honestly if it wasn't for Arch/Matheos, this would've been my album of the year. The more I spin it, the more I like it. I'm not sure if it's on the level of Bilateral or The Congregation, but it's definitely my third favourite album from them. I even began to like Observe the Train.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #769 on: November 17, 2019, 11:26:59 AM »
I liked Observe The Train from first listen, the only songs that didn't convince me at first were By My Throne and Foreigner.
By My Throne is a song I love now, while Foreigner is still the weakest for me, but in the context of the album it is acceptable. Einar said in an interview that he needed a glue between Distant Bells and The Sky Is Red which are big emotional songs, something like that