Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 96420 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls
« Reply #700 on: October 12, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »
I listened to it and thought the pacing was a bit too slow to work for me.
From what I heard I can't say I'm currently too thrilled to check out the album but I'll give it a spin anyways

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #701 on: October 12, 2019, 11:13:10 AM »
Yeah, I’ve heard some say the pacing is a bit slow. I really like it though, I think the whole song does a fantastic job of patient buildup.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #702 on: October 13, 2019, 03:41:24 AM »
The buildup could work great in the context of the album. As a single however, it feels tedious to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: October 17, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »
The buildup could work great in the context of the album. As a single however, it feels tedious to me.

Just listened, the best of the three songs IMO but that 5 minute build up... a bit boring for me.  At this point I don't think I'm going to check out the new album, none of these songs are for me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #704 on: October 18, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
I did an interview with Einar Solberg today. He was really cool!!! We had 30 minutes, but ended up talking for 45, because he had some extra time. Stay tuned!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: October 18, 2019, 04:00:07 PM »
Damn dude you are on fire

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #706 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:19 PM »
Damn dude you are on fire

I could do these interviews all day, man. Unfortunately, this is a labor of love at the moment, and aside from great experiences and memories, I don't get paid for doing this. Otherwise, I'd do even more!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #707 on: October 21, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »
 My interview with Einar Solberg came out today: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-einar-solberg/

Hope you guys enjoy it!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #708 on: October 22, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the interview.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: October 22, 2019, 12:00:24 PM »
I'd give you some thoughts if it was in the text format, man. I don't remember when I last listened to an audio interview, sorry.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #710 on: October 22, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
I'd give you some thoughts if it was in the text format, man. I don't remember when I last listened to an audio interview, sorry.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #711 on: October 23, 2019, 01:06:08 AM »
I prefer interviews in audio format, I can listen to them in the background. Thanks for making it available this way.

That said, I'm waiting to hear the album before I decide if I want to know Einar's thoughts on it. Maybe I won't care for the interview's content come Friday.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #712 on: October 24, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
First impressions of the album: It could be their best! And it’s not metal! Shame most metalheads will automatically hate it because it’s not metal.

Dat last song (The Sky Is Red) doe.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #713 on: October 24, 2019, 11:29:41 PM »
OBSERVE THE TRAIN
SEE IT LEAAAAAAAAVING
breathein breatheout release letitallout
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #714 on: October 25, 2019, 12:22:08 AM »
Was not particularly grabbed. I did enjoy it but something was missing. Perhaps it will grow on me with further listens, although I wished there were a bit more guitars in it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #715 on: October 25, 2019, 01:23:01 AM »
it's... fine.
einar is a talented singer of course and this album at least seems to have a better grasp of what it's doing than malina, but what it's doing isn't a style that interests me much, especially en masse.
The Sky is Red sure sounds pretty much like every other djent-prog band nowadays. it's good but it's not really leprous-y to my ears.
there's kind of a lack of any harsh edges or tones to this album at all, which is one of the big things that felt like it was dropped between the congregation and malina after having pretty much defined the band's first four albums regardless of the style they were playing. it sure sounds pleasant but i didn't really feel like it surprised me in any way.
my initial reaction is to say "well it's better than malina but not anywhere close to the rest of their albums" but i'll probably at least give it a second spin.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: October 25, 2019, 01:53:44 AM »
This album is weird, I do like some stuff from the first listen though.

Observe the Train is my least favourite song from the first listen I think, the chorus doesn't work for me at all.

I observe the train
It seems polygonal
Cylindrical

Man I don't even remember the lyrics for it and I was paying attention

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #717 on: October 25, 2019, 01:57:24 AM »
train (of naught) literally posted the chorus lyrics, i think, three posts above :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: October 25, 2019, 02:09:29 AM »
I don't think that was the chorus, the chorus was with something like electrical / angelical / cylindrical

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #719 on: October 25, 2019, 04:24:53 AM »
Observe the train is about Einar’s penis.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #720 on: October 25, 2019, 06:31:46 AM »
Yeah Observe the Train is easily my least favourite song so far, that breathe in breathe out line is so cringy. I’m loving this album, expectations were quite high with 3 out of 3 singles being amazing, but I would argue At The Bottom, By My Throne, Foreigner and I Lose Hope are all probably on par with them

The closer is ok but not good enough to justify its length. Funnily enough one of the most straightforward songs if you don’t count the glued last 4 minutes
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: October 25, 2019, 06:56:30 AM »
At the Bottom is so good. Gonna spin this album more.

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #722 on: October 25, 2019, 07:47:26 AM »
LOVE THIS ALBUM . to me this is their best work . The vocals on this one are sublime

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #723 on: October 25, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
It's not better than Coal to me but this is an awesome record.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #724 on: October 25, 2019, 11:06:06 PM »
Gonna give it a few more spins before deciding anything, but it's definitely their most unique album. Some parts remind me of the softer, more quirky parts of Bilateral.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #725 on: October 26, 2019, 09:42:10 AM »
Serious question: What makes Leprous them? (I don't know how to express it any differently) Why do I ask? I listened to The Price fairly recently (because one of my musician colleagues extended the recommendation), and I thought: Hmm, what to make of that? (Sure, some of it is the hype, but there better be something else) Not overly technically difficult, very driven by emotion (kind of like a dreary version of a-ha in some ways, especially vocally) I tried my best to be as neutral as I can be.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #726 on: October 26, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »
i think the first two albums are representative of what people want leprous to be, honestly. very exciting and jagged prog with a bit of an avant-garde flair to 'em

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #727 on: October 26, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
i think the first two albums are representative of what people want leprous to be, honestly. very exciting and jagged prog with a bit of an avant-garde flair to 'em
that's exactly what I was told about them. Couldn't find the jagged aspect or anything difficult in their music. You're welcome to tell me where to find it. That being said, if you love it, great.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #728 on: October 26, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »

I disagree with this. I think Pitfalls is my second favorite Leprous record and has so many things I love while still sounding like Leprous. There is so much flair to the music and some beautiful electronic work from start to finish here. It saddens me to see some people unwilling to accept the band's current sound (not talking about you, Cyril, fyi) because they don't like the electronics. They sound so unique.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: October 26, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »
I see you
Giving due
Doubting stuff
That's enough

I lose hope

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #730 on: October 28, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »
Serious question: What makes Leprous them? (I don't know how to express it any differently) Why do I ask? I listened to The Price fairly recently (because one of my musician colleagues extended the recommendation), and I thought: Hmm, what to make of that? (Sure, some of it is the hype, but there better be something else) Not overly technically difficult, very driven by emotion (kind of like a dreary version of a-ha in some ways, especially vocally) I tried my best to be as neutral as I can be.

I'm not sure how to answer that, since they've changed their sound so much. I think the thing that holds all the albums together so far is the memorable vocal melodies and Einar's voice. Even then though, the sound of his voice has changed a little bit.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #731 on: October 28, 2019, 12:38:29 PM »
At this point in their career, Bilateral is the odd album out and I’m not even mentioning Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Coal up to and including Pitfalls follows a very clear progression and crystallisation of a band’s style.

For the record, I have only heard Pitfalls twice so far. Listened to it for the first time yesterday, because I wanted to take the time to do so and not rush it. I was very pleasantly surprised. The Sky is Red might be one of the best songs they’ve done and that’s a serious feat.

Also Foreigner is the Coma of Pitfalls in the sense that it kind of sticks out as being ‘different’. I liked the reference to the Congregation in that song. The lyrics made me think the band deliberately tries to break with their more metal past. That said, some of the stuff on Pitfalls is pretty heavy regardless, but often in a very different way when compared to their earlier albums.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #732 on: October 29, 2019, 11:05:58 AM »
this album may be getting over-hyped, but having now heard some of it, I can kind of see why it's receiving the strong reaction it is,

The singer though...I'm not sure I'll ever love his voice.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #733 on: October 29, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
this album may be getting over-hyped, but having now heard some of it, I can kind of see why it's receiving the strong reaction it is,

The singer though...I'm not sure I'll ever love his voice.

That's where I am. I love the change of direction, love a lot of the execution, but it's still Einar at times that holds me back.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #734 on: October 29, 2019, 06:03:15 PM »
Very indifferent about this album, as I was expecting. Distant Bells is easily the best song here - really nice atmosphere and buildup with a satisfying climax. At The Bottom is also decent and gets quite good towards the end. The Sky Is Red has some bits that I like but it's not deep enough to justify its length, and the climax is a bit underwhelming. The rest of the album does very little for me.

I had pretty much already come to this conclusion with the last album, but this band just doesn't really appeal to me any more. On one hand, I'm happy that they're continuously evolving, doing what they want to do, and there's a good amount of people that like their new trajectory. But for me, they've traveled so far away from everything that made me enjoy them so much in their first three albums. If you ask me, the band had way more talent for writing weird, fun progressive metal than they do for writing these incredibly dreary and minimalistic rock songs with really uninteresting and dry electronic production lightly mixed in. Instead of maturing, I feel like their music has actually gotten more amateurish-sounding over time, and not even in an endearing way. I'm sure many would disagree with me but those are just my honest thoughts.

Still glad the album exists for the "observe the train" meme, though.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1