Author Topic: The TERAMAZE Thread - Think "Karnivool meets 90's Dream Theater"  (Read 13607 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The TERAMAZE Thread - Think "Karnivool meets 90's Dream Theater"
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2024, 08:46:59 AM »
:caffeine:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2024, 09:44:23 AM »
I think I've checked out on this band.  Who is singing at this point?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2024, 09:56:30 AM »
I think I've checked out on this band.  Who is singing at this point?

Grapp, we both did. The singer kept changing. last time I checked, it was the guitarist/band leader. He can't seem to keep a singer. The guy who did Esoteric Symbolism (or whatever it was called) was really good. Then the next guy, on the next album was great too. Then the other singer came back, then he left again, then the guitarist took over. It was way too much and I checked out. LOL.

Sucks too, because the albums were pretty good with the actual singers.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2024, 10:22:04 AM »
Dean (guitarist) isn't terrible as a lead singer.
I think Nathan (Her Halo) is back in the band full-time now?  He was performing live with them, and they did a cover of Easy Lover with him.
Brett (Esoteric Symbolism) came back for Are We Soldiers (2019), but is gone now.

I've heard Dean can be a handful to work with (Brent/bl5150 seemed to know better).  Regardless, every album since ES has been most excellent - regardless of who's on the mic.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2024, 02:28:44 PM »
Awesome, looking forward to it! I agree their singers have all been good, and their music is incredibly consistent.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2024, 10:58:06 AM »
Dean (guitarist) isn't terrible as a lead singer.
I think Nathan (Her Halo) is back in the band full-time now?  He was performing live with them, and they did a cover of Easy Lover with him.
Brett (Esoteric Symbolism) came back for Are We Soldiers (2019), but is gone now.

I've heard Dean can be a handful to work with (Brent/bl5150 seemed to know better).  Regardless, every album since ES has been most excellent - regardless of who's on the mic.

Oh really? Okay, so I need to check out Are We Soldiers. I liked Nathan too, so I'll start looking back into them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2024, 05:43:21 PM »
Are We Soldiers was the last album that I really liked.  Jonah Weingarten played keys and Brett was singing.  The songs were great too. 

Looking at Metal Archives, I can summarize each album:

I Wonder was next, and that was Dean singing for the first time.  That's when I started to check out - it came out during the first year of the pandemic, and Dean kept posting about how prolific his songwriting was, and we were going to see releases come out frequently.  I found it uninteresting.

Sorella Minore came out in 2021 and Nathan (Her Halo) sang on the first song, which was connected to Her Halo somehow.  It was a 25 minute prog thing that I haven't listened to in ages.  Dean sang the other 3 songs.

And the Beauty They Perceive was next, also in 2021.  Also with Dean singing.  That's the last album I listened to.  It was just more of the same.  Teramaze with Dean singing. 

42 songs on major releases came out in just 3-4 years.  To me, it seemed like quantity over quality, especially with Dean on vocals - just churn stuff out once or twice a year for the sake of it.  There were even some singles and a live record too.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2024, 07:05:17 PM »
Nathan came back for Dalla Volta (a sort of new album with some added rarities, demos and re-recordings) and everything since (the live album, 3 new singles and this upcoming album).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Grappler

« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2024, 08:41:11 PM »
Nathan came back for Dalla Volta (a sort of new album with some added rarities, demos and re-recordings) and everything since (the live album, 3 new singles and this upcoming album).

I didn't know that - I stopped following them a couple of years ago when we got a few albums in a row with Dean singing and he was saying that he could do what the previous singers did...and to me, he can't.  I'm listening to Dalla Volta now and I'm digging it.  The riffs are crunchier than we were getting on the albums prior to this, reminiscent of Esoteric Symbolism. 

Still, the revolving door of singers bothered me to no end - if Nathan sticks around and keeps me from having to listen to Dean, that's a good thing.   :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2024, 04:36:12 AM »
Dean has said the new album will be like a heavier version of Her Halo............I'm up for that if they keep the production similar to Her Halo.  They are in danger of venturing too far into  "wall of sound" territory for my liking recently.  And yeah.........Dean likes his vocals far more than anyone else so it took a while to see sense  ;D  Her Halo is their high point thus far IMHO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2024, 04:38:39 AM »
Hey hey there!  Nice to see you pop in, mate. Hope all is well.  Miss seein ya around here.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2024, 09:12:04 AM »
Just checked out the new album and I've gotta say, it's a killer end to the trilogy. Nathan really brings it in every track. I loved how the tunes mix so well with the heavy riffs—I'm sure a bunch of you will dig it too.

If anyone's up for reviewing it, hit me up!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:55:03 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline emtee

« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2024, 09:15:08 AM »
Her Halo was a great album but the vocalist changes threw me off. I'll check this one out.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2024, 09:28:44 PM »
Hey hey there!  Nice to see you pop in, mate. Hope all is well.  Miss seein ya around here.

Thanks Chad  :-*    Still check in here on all you guys most days , just don't post that much.  Good to see everyone well and still plenty of Winger , Issa and Del Vecchio discussion .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au