Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 327213 times)

abydos and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #700 on: December 02, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
LOL!  :rollin

Good one. 
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #701 on: December 02, 2010, 07:59:58 PM »
I'm fully prepared to be impregnated with Russell Allen's child. 

I'm just curious.  How exactly does one prepare for that?

Listening to Symphony X while drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels...straight.

:omg:  Then that means I'm fully prepared to be impregnated with Russell Allen's child too!  HALP!  :dangerwillrobinson: 

Just accept this, it's easier that way.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #702 on: December 02, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
Back off, he's mine!

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #703 on: December 10, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
I just had to post this because it made me laugh.

Right now, I'm sitting in our student center working on some graphic design stuff. It's Friday, so it's pretty dead around here for the most part. Naturally, I put on some music. I had the intro to "The Odyssey" on.

Some guy walks by and says "Is that Pokémon?" as he leans over my screen expecting to see an emulator.

I was like, "No, just some awesome progressive power metal band, Symphony X." He walked away disappointed.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #704 on: December 10, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »
I don't know what's worse: ''Pokemon'' or ''Lord of the Dance''.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #705 on: December 12, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »
I keep thinking these bumps signal a studio update/announcement of the new album - but it's always a disappointment.  :|
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: December 12, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
So what you do? Bump the thread.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #707 on: December 13, 2010, 04:55:05 AM »
I already got impregnated by his voice. Just saying.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #708 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »
Symphony X is on my list of bands to check out this year. Album suggestion please? :D

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #709 on: December 28, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
Symphony X is on my list of bands to check out this year. Album suggestion please? :D

The Damnation Game, Twilight in Olympus, V, and Paradise Lost

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #710 on: December 28, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »

Do you like any "symphonic metal" or "power metal" bands/albums?  If so, which ones? 

Paradise lost is very heavy, and while it definitely has the symphonic/power metal element, the focus is more on the heavy.  My only criticism of the album is that it is less varied and sounds more samey throughout.  That, combined with a bit of overcompression, and the fact that it is a concept album with a very loose concept and no real storyline cause me to lose interest at times.  But honestly, it's not a bad album at all, and a lot of fans, particularly younger fans, love it to death.  I think it is a good representation of the band.

V and The Odyssey, to me, best represent the band's historical sound.  They represent the band at the top of their game doing what the band has always done and doing it well, but do not suffer from somewhat dated-sounding production that the earlier albums have.  However, the cheese factor is much higher on these albums than on PL, so if you do not like stereotypical cheesey power metal, beware.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #711 on: December 28, 2010, 11:26:52 AM »
I love Inferno Unleash The Fire if that helps and I dig Something Wicked This Way Comes by Iced Earth. I also dig Bye Bye Beautiful by Nightwish (Only song I know but it is cool) and I love Cry For the Moon by Epica and one or two Kamelot songs.

edit: And I adore Falconer's first album and that is ultimate cheese.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:39:36 AM by 73109 »

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: December 28, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
Get The Divine Wings of Tragedy and V first.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #713 on: December 28, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
I love Inferno Unleash The Fire if that helps and I dig Something Wicked This Way Comes by Iced Earth. I also dig Bye Bye Beautiful by Nightwish (Only song I know but it is cool) and I love Cry For the Moon by Epica and one or two Kamelot songs.

If you like Inferno, go with The Odyssey.  That song is pretty indicative of how that entire album sounds, so I don't think you can go wrong.  After that, based on the other songs you listed, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of their other albums.  IMO, V is sonically very similar to The Odyssey, but perhaps a bit more symphonic, and has a lot of cool thematic development given that it is a concept album.  Again, PL is heavier and a bit less symphonic, but I get the sense you will like it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #714 on: December 28, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »
Thank you, I am going one album at a time for many bands so I am probably going to end up flipping a coin between the Odyssey and V.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #715 on: December 28, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
A plus I will give The Odyssey is that the bonus track, Masquerade, is a remake of a song that appeared on one of their earlier albums, so with that song you get a flavor for how their earlier material sounded, which may help you decide whether to pursue any of the material prior to V.

...but a plus I will give V is that it is just friggin' metal!  :2metal:

:dunno:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #716 on: December 28, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »
Gah!!!!!

I will give one of these albums a listen today but first, I am going to check out the second Falconer album.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #717 on: December 28, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
Listen to The Odyssey.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: December 28, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »
A plus I will give The Odyssey is that the bonus track, Masquerade, is a remake of a song that appeared on one of their earlier albums, so with that song you get a flavor for how their earlier material sounded, which may help you decide whether to pursue any of the material prior to V.

...but a plus I will give V is that it is just friggin' metal!  :2metal:

:dunno:

Masquerade '98 is amazing, mostly because Rod Tyler isn't singing :P

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #719 on: December 28, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
On Tyler songs I prefer him singing to RA. Don't get the hate for this guy.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: December 28, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »
he just wasnt good, plain and simple. the raging seasons wold be brilliant with russell on vocals

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #721 on: December 28, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
wold

Look at you, getting all Medieval in your language when talking about Symphony X.  How cute.  :D

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #722 on: December 28, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
Honestly any album from Divine Wings Of Tragedy onwards is worth it. The Damnation Game is good and has some greats (The Edge Of Forever is one of their best) but all the albums after it are better in my opinion.

V and Paradise Lost are my two favourite. I agree with bosk that it is a bit samey though. That's not necessarily a bad thing when it means that every song is great though - better great songs of a similar nature than vastly different songs with some of them not so good - but it can make listening to it a bit tiresome.

Also Twilight In Olympus would be better off once you've got into the other albums, imo. DWOT + The Oddyssey have the epics which are amazing, V and Paradise Lot are the more consistent albums.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #723 on: December 28, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
As much as I love these guys, they need to seriously start making haste with bringing out this new album.

I would like to know how they can even afford to live with such little involvement in touring and new album releases.

Seriously.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #724 on: December 28, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »
Any album from Divine Wings onward is amazing.  Twilight In Olympus is actually a really awesome album will some killer tracks on it (Smoke and Mirrors, Church of the Machine and Through the Looking Glass), it just sounds a little incomplete cause they had to cut the epic title track from the album, which they then expanded into V, so I guess it worked out for the best after all.

As for Paradise Lost, I love the album personally, though Twilight and V are my favorites, I consider PL at least comparable in quality to Divine Wings and Odyssey.  Paradise Lost is basically Symphony X's answer to Priest's Painkiller or DT's Train of Thought; it's a straight forward, all out metal album.  For what it is, it's amazing, and there are some really stand out cuts on that one too (the title track, Walls of Babylon and Revelations, in particular).  If you want a Symphony X album where almost every song is a "Of Sins and Shadows" or "Smoke And Mirrors", balls-to-the-wall, high speed symphonic shred-fest, then you can't do any better then Paradise Lost, but if you want a more balanced album that presents all aspects of the band more evenly, the albums from Divine Wings to Odyssey are a better choice.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #725 on: December 28, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
As much as I love these guys, they need to seriously start making haste with bringing out this new album.

I would like to know how they can even afford to live with such little involvement in touring and new album releases.

Seriously.

THIS x infinity

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: December 28, 2010, 11:06:02 PM »

Seriously.

Although I do agree, to be fair they are embarking on a tour of at least three months in February.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: December 30, 2010, 08:58:39 PM »

Seriously.

Although I do agree, to be fair they are embarking on a tour of at least three months in February.

And this is why the lack of updates is disturbing. Is this gonna be a tour in support of the new album or not?

That question is glaring to me

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #728 on: December 30, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »
Hard to say.  On one hand, I don't see how it could be.  If the album was going to drop before the tour, the label should be saying so by now. 

However, SX are really in a difficult position as a band.  They just aren't quite big enough to have the luxury of being in absolute control over their own destiny in terms of booking and touring schedules, so maybe hte album will drop sometime during the tour, and the currently-planned tour schedule is all they could get right now.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: December 30, 2010, 11:28:51 PM »
At any rate, some new material on this tour would be nice.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: December 31, 2010, 06:31:48 AM »
Hard to say.  On one hand, I don't see how it could be.  If the album was going to drop before the tour, the label should be saying so by now. 

However, SX are really in a difficult position as a band.  They just aren't quite big enough to have the luxury of being in absolute control over their own destiny in terms of booking and touring schedules, so maybe hte album will drop sometime during the tour, and the currently-planned tour schedule is all they could get right now.

That would suck... Philly is the first stop on the US tour :-\

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #731 on: December 31, 2010, 06:52:08 AM »
I was on a huge Syph kick yesterday.

Odysee.
wow
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: January 08, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
Symphony X in my opinion are one of the most underated bands in the history of metal.  They deserve much more and should be much bigger; on the same level as DT as far as I'm concerned.  All of their cd's are amazing, especially the last three.  I would love a new live cd to go with the new one in 2011

Offline jsem

« Reply #733 on: January 08, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
Odyssey is a MASTERPIECE

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #734 on: January 08, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
Currently starting on Paradise Lost after playing through most of The Damnation Game, all of The Divine Wings Of Tragedy and The Odyssey. Twilight In Olympus and V: The New Mythology Suite to follow, if I'm still here studying that long.

I really want to hear something about when the album is released, whether it's 6 months away or even next year. I only discovered Symphony X at the start of last year, and the new album has been only a few months away for an entire year, and more. At least a release date, even if it's far away, is better than nothing. Every day with no word is more chance that the album will never even see the light of day.