Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 311803 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2416 on: October 10, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
Don't know if this was posted back in July, Russel posted this on fb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwIy1xkbDIU&feature=youtu.be

It is a clip of Russel performing in honor of Dave, during a fundraiser in his honor. He really kicks ass vocally. I hope Russel is recovering well emotionally, he is obviously still dealing with it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2417 on: October 11, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »
Pretty cool.  I've always liked that song, and this version is VERY close to Badlands' cover, which is just incredible (my band did that version of it).  It is obvious from the way Russ sang it that he is very familiar with that version.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2418 on: January 10, 2019, 05:23:42 AM »
Bump to say that I just saw mentioned on FB that Symphony X will be playing four dates in Italy in May. European tour and a new album to support it in the works?

Also, isn't this the first time for Russell to be back on stage with the guys after the accident with A-Mob?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2419 on: January 10, 2019, 05:53:53 AM »
With the S-X guys, probably.  But he did the TSO tour this Christmas season, didn't he?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2420 on: January 10, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »
Russell did TSO in the winter.

I don't think they would release a new album for the European tour. I believe they just started writing and getting back together. Maybe they could play a new song...

Also, Romeo has Pt 2 of his solo album to be released. Hopefully that could come out sooner than the new SyX. Really excited for SyX. Love that band.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2421 on: January 15, 2019, 01:58:21 PM »
I just absolutely love Michal Romeos solo album. The vocals are superb imo, and very well written songs! Gotta love the Star Wars themes glittered throughout. The guitar sound is excellent too on this release.
I also hope we get a part 2 before the next Symphony X release. I would like them to take their time making the next SX album something unequivocal.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2422 on: January 15, 2019, 02:31:43 PM »
I just absolutely love Michal Romeos solo album. The vocals are superb imo, and very well written songs!

:metal

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2423 on: February 12, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »
Just listened to Underworld for the first time. This is their best album in a while. First song Nevermore is a great way to kick off this kick ass album. Russel's clean vocals sound fantastic.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2424 on: February 12, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »
Agreed.  He finally got rid of the marbles in his mouth.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2425 on: February 13, 2019, 04:22:32 AM »
Just listened to Underworld for the first time. This is their best album in a while. First song Nevermore is a great way to kick off this kick ass album. Russel's clean vocals sound fantastic.

Woah.  Better late than never I guess man.  Yeah killer album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2426 on: February 13, 2019, 05:16:18 AM »

This may be heresy to diehard SymX fans, but Paradise Lost and Underworld are the albums I listen to most nowadays!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2427 on: February 13, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »
I generally like the "middle" era of the band the best (V and The Odyssey).  But I consider Underworld to be far and away the best thing they have ever done.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2428 on: February 13, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »
I generally like the "middle" era of the band the best (V and The Odyssey).  But I consider Underworld to be far and away the best thing they have ever done.

Yeah, this is my opinion too.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2429 on: February 13, 2019, 01:14:04 PM »

Yeah, this is my opinion too.
Yeah me too.  Russel's vox are superb on this album!  Great songs too. :tup
I hope the go in this kind of direction on their next album and more-so.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: February 13, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »

This may be heresy to diehard SymX fans, but Paradise Lost and Underworld are the albums I listen to most nowadays!

Me too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2431 on: February 13, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »
Underworld, sure.  PL... mid-tier quality in the S-X discography.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2432 on: February 13, 2019, 03:14:05 PM »
I've noticed I like their post V albums way more if I just listen to the songs on my Ipod shuffle. 4-5 songs in a row and I am burned out because it's all so samey, but when one comes on amidst other songs by other bands, I can appreciate it a lot more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2433 on: February 13, 2019, 03:25:22 PM »
Wow, I always thought I am in the minority, but it doesn't seem like that now. My fav SX albums are The Odyssey, Paradise Lost and Underworld.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2434 on: February 13, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
As much as I like Underworld because it's really a great album there's just something about tDWoT and that style of Neo-classical metal that hits home with me, sure a dose of nostalgia is a part of it. Even though the production is not that great I still love that album so much.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2435 on: February 13, 2019, 03:47:57 PM »
Wow, so sad to see no love for Iconoclast, such an amazing album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2436 on: February 13, 2019, 05:31:10 PM »
I love Iconoclast!  It has a very melodic yet heavier edge to it, and it always puts me in a better mood. Children of a Faceless God is one of my favorite tracks from any SX album, and Electric Messiah isn't far behind with such a great chorus.  The final track of that album " When All is Lost" is epic SX in all their glory!  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2437 on: February 13, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
I love Iconoclast!  It has a very melodic yet heavier edge to it, and it always puts me in a better mood. Children of a Faceless God is one of my favorite tracks from any SX album, and Electric Messiah isn't far behind with such a great chorus.  The final track of that album " When All is Lost" is epic SX in all their glory!  :metal

Indeed! That one and PL are my two SX favorites, never got too much into Underworld, I might need to listen to it again soon. As for the older albums, I just don't like all the neoclassical elements they used back then.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2438 on: February 13, 2019, 05:50:54 PM »
I've noticed I like their post V albums way more if I just listen to the songs on my Ipod shuffle. 4-5 songs in a row and I am burned out because it's all so samey, but when one comes on amidst other songs by other bands, I can appreciate it a lot more.

This!  I can listen to the entire Odyssey album as well (though I may skip The Turning).  But PL and Iconoclast - listening to the whole albums irritates me and I find myself constantly hoping it's almost over.  When listening to tracks individually, they seem much fresher.  There are still tracks that aren't my thing though.  Underworld was a big improvement for me, but didn't wind up staying with me for as long as I thought it would.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2439 on: February 14, 2019, 01:34:01 AM »
Sidenote: I love the opening riff in Run with the Devil.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Art

« Reply #2440 on: February 14, 2019, 03:19:04 AM »
I love Underworld, but my favorites are TDWOT, Twilight in Olympus, V and Damnation Game. Then Odyssey and Underworld. Not big on Paradise Lost and Iconoclast.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2441 on: February 14, 2019, 07:30:18 AM »
I always found Iconoclast to be "a bit too much" of everything... It has great songs and moments, but it's hard for me to listen to it in one sitting. Unlike PL, UW, TO.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2442 on: February 14, 2019, 07:37:40 AM »
I always found Iconoclast to be "a bit too much" of everything... It has great songs and moments, but it's hard for me to listen to it in one sitting.

Same here. Not a single song is bad, but from start to finish it's a long and relentless assault of heavy songs, all in the same style and with the same "roar growl I'm so mean and wicked, machines stuff stuff" lyrics, with what felt like the obligatory ballad at the end.

Paradise Lost however flows away quite easily for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2443 on: February 14, 2019, 08:05:11 AM »
I always found Iconoclast to be "a bit too much" of everything... It has great songs and moments, but it's hard for me to listen to it in one sitting.

Same here. Not a single song is bad, but from start to finish it's a long and relentless assault of heavy songs, all in the same style and with the same "roar growl I'm so mean and wicked, machines stuff stuff" lyrics, with what felt like the obligatory ballad at the end.

That about sums it up for me too.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2444 on: February 14, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »
Yessss! I've been scouring the Internet since release to find a tab for this song, no luck haha. Couldn't seem to figure it out either

Offline DT89

« Reply #2445 on: February 25, 2019, 08:29:42 AM »
Yessss! I've been scouring the Internet since release to find a tab for this song, no luck haha. Couldn't seem to figure it out either
I whipped this up a few days ago:
Symphony X - Run With The Devil (FREE Full Guitar Tab!)

In case anyone missed it, I've also transcribed the entire Distance Over Time album (Thread link), and I'm sending the tab book for FREE.  Just email me at maytropolees@comcast.net

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2446 on: February 28, 2019, 01:00:01 PM »

In case anyone missed it, I've also transcribed the entire Distance Over Time album (Thread link), and I'm sending the tab book for FREE.  Just email me at maytropolees@comcast.net

You have got to be kidding me. You are an angel! Wow.. now I need to actually learn this and that will be a challenge in itself. THANK YOU!

Offline DT89

« Reply #2447 on: February 28, 2019, 08:52:08 PM »

You have got to be kidding me. You are an angel! Wow.. now I need to actually learn this and that will be a challenge in itself. THANK YOU!
Very happy to help!  One of my big goals is to do some official Symphony X transcriptions.  There's certainly a demand, hopefully we can make it happen.

Offline JLa

« Reply #2448 on: March 27, 2019, 02:40:44 AM »
Just listened to "To Hell and Back" - what a song!  :metal

Actually not too familiar with SX. I picked up their live album when it came out and played it to death - it's brilliant. I used to love cranking up the volume just to hear the crowd going bonanza.  :lol The Odyssey and Paradise Lost are also in my collection, but neither really 'clicked'. The title track on Odyssey is fantastic though.

People used to say "you like DT, you should check out SX!" but I never got the comparison. I mean, I guess they both play "prog metal", but they sound totally different. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2449 on: March 27, 2019, 06:44:32 AM »
Just listened to "To Hell and Back" - what a song!  :metal

Actually not too familiar with SX. I picked up their live album when it came out and played it to death - it's brilliant. I used to love cranking up the volume just to hear the crowd going bonanza.  :lol The Odyssey and Paradise Lost are also in my collection, but neither really 'clicked'. The title track on Odyssey is fantastic though.

People used to say "you like DT, you should check out SX!" but I never got the comparison. I mean, I guess they both play "prog metal", but they sound totally different.
You might like Underworld more than the two albums you mentioned because To Hell And Back is representative of the overall sound of that album.

I think people used to say that because SX was the second biggest prog band that at the same time did their own thing, DT clones were abundant in the late 90's and early 00's. Sorta like, hey, if DT isn't too crazy for you, welcome to the beautiful world of prog metal, have a Symphony X CD!  :hat

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise