Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317211 times)

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #210 on: October 24, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »
You guys need to toughen up Paradise Lost is easily as kickass as their other albums.

Infact, i'd have it as number 2, and album of 2007.

I listen to a lot of mathcore, black metal and extreme metal. My criticisms are not of it's toughness, but of its overall quality compared with previous Symphony X albums, and honestly, next to their older albums, PL just comes off as quite bland and samey. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's just lacking in the elements which I think make Symphony X great.

Same here. I listen to music that is way more brutal than SymX's Paradise Lost, but that particular style doesn't fit them too well. I love the dynamics, theatrics and more subtle elements of the older albums. That's what makes them different IMO.

There are some killer heavy riffs in The Odyssey and V too, but not ALL the freakin' time. I'm tired of hearing that MJR midi guitar sound in front of the mix. Because that's what they did. I believe, even with the music staying the same: Turn up Pinella, turn down MJR and re-do the ridiculously loud mastering, and you've got a killer record.

During the intro and 'Set the world on fire', the sound might sound appealing (in fact I was blown away by it the first time). But it's too relentless, and not in a good way.

Well I disagree with this. And I know quite a few SX fans that love Paradise Lost as much as I do.

It doesn't sound samey at all to my ears. But to each his own.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #211 on: October 26, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »
I got The Odyssey and Paradise Lost, i need to get The Divine Wings of Tragedy and V!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #212 on: October 26, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »
I got The Odyssey and Paradise Lost, i need to get The Divine Wings of Tragedy and V!

:metal
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #213 on: October 26, 2009, 07:07:44 PM »
SX is definitely one of my favourite bands. I think they are not as proggy as I might like them to be (especially with their latest release). One their best qualities for me would be the vocalist, Russell Allen (He rocks). He is one of my favourite singers, if not number one. Protip: check out "Live In Europe", specifically Through the Looking Glass. RA is top notch... gives me chills, every time the keyboard solo comes in, and the guitar solo that would follow. YOU GO NOW

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
SX is definitely one of my favourite bands. I think they are not as proggy as I might like them to be (especially with their latest release). One their best qualities for me would be the vocalist, Russell Allen (He rocks). He is one of my favourite singers, if not number one. Protip: check out "Live In Europe", specifically Through the Looking Glass. RA is top notch... gives me chills, every time the keyboard solo comes in, and the guitar solo that would follow. YOU GO NOW

Is that a bootleg? I have a few, but I don't think I have that one. Do you have the date for it?

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

Is that a bootleg? I have a few, but I don't think I have that one. Do you have the date for it?

I think he's talking about Live on the Edge of Forever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_on_the_Edge_of_Forever
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: October 26, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »

oooooh yeah i have that, but i didn't recognize what he was calling it lolz

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »

Correct. Sorry, I just call it Live in Europe because I saw it like that once. Also, a fact that I like to repress is that "Live On The Edge Of Forever" lacks Edge Of Forever- My second favourite song by SX

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »

Correct. Sorry, I just call it Live in Europe because I saw it like that once. Also, a fact that I like to repress is that "Live On The Edge Of Forever" lacks Edge Of Forever- My second favourite song by SX

Dammit I noticed that the first time I saw it too :lol

My favorite song by them, and one of my top ten songs of all time :metal

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2009, 08:13:17 PM »
Symphony X is the closest thing to Power Metal that I have ever found to have songs that don't all sound identical.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2009, 04:14:25 PM »
Does anyone feel that the first half of Twilight in Olympus is much better than the second half? Smoke and Mirrors to Through the Looking Glass is all amazing, but then The Relic, Orion The Hunter and Lady of the Snow aren't quite up to the same standard.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »
Nah, The Relic, Orion and Lady of the Snow are all among my favourite songs. To me Twilight is the most balanced and varied album they've made to date.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »
I love The Relic and Orion - The Hunter

Lady of the Snow, not so much, though it is good. And I agree Abydos, it is one of their most balanced albums, though the Damnation Game will always be my favorite

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #224 on: October 27, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »
Symphony X is the closest thing to Power Metal that I have ever found to have songs that don't all sound identical.

*chews straw* You'se been lis'nen to the wrong kinda powah metal, boy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2009, 08:34:39 AM »
I've heard two stories from a reliable source that I can't mention that he screwed over sg and Ayreon. I wish I would prove it but I don't want to start anything.

Sorry, but that kind of "I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who" crap doesn't fly here.  You are starting something by making accusations about somebody's character with no backup whatsoever.  If you don't have or can't reveal your source, and the information has clearly been passed through several individuals and filtered by you, don't post it.  Simple as that.  If you have an ax to grind, take it somewhere else.  Your antics on that other forum I moderate got you in trouble there already.  Believe me, I have no problem banning you from here if you keep it up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2009, 08:43:37 AM »
Wow Bosk you're a month late lolz

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2009, 08:47:20 AM »
Yeah, didn't see that until just now (as I was following up on something unrelated).  But he (and others) needs to understand that that sort of gossip can get people into trouble.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2009, 02:45:52 PM »
What does that even mean? Set The World on Fire has one of the best intros I've ever heard and it never ceases to amaze me.

I'll 2nd that.   :metal
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2009, 07:41:43 AM »
SYMPHONY X SIGNS WITH NUCLEAR BLAST RECORDS. NEW ALBUM EXPECTED SPRING OF 2010 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Nuclear Blast is extremely proud to announce the signing of metal / prog gods SYMPHONY X !!!
SYMPHONY X exemplifies the technical sophistication of progressive metal while transcending the genre by writing amazing songs with masterful musicality and great hooks!
This New York based super group effortlessly creates a balancing act between solid, accessible arrangements and song structures with highly technical, challenging instrumental work and unbelievable melodic vocal harmonies. This embrace of polyphonic lead vocals, combined with their classical-sometimes even Queen-like choruses create a powerful, in-your-face mixture. With elements of thundering metal, rock, solos with unstoppable guitar shredding and intense keyboards - this potent group has grown with every release and is poised to compete with the commercial success of top groups in all genres!
SYMPHONY X is currently creating their next masterpiece, anticipated in the spring of 2010!
"We are happy to be the part of the Nuclear Blast Family and look forward to working with them for many years to come," says guitarist Michael Romeo.

https://www.nuclearblast.de/showDynamicPage.php?ident=newsdetail&nid=3234

Could a mod change the thread title in the OP to reflect the new news?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2009, 08:16:24 AM »
Great news!  :metal

Fingers crossed for European tour!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »
Hell yeah! :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2009, 09:02:54 AM »
Rock n Roll baby!!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »
Spring 2010  :metal

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »
SYMPHONY X SIGNS WITH NUCLEAR BLAST RECORDS. NEW ALBUM EXPECTED SPRING OF 2010 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Nuclear Blast is extremely proud to announce the signing of metal / prog gods SYMPHONY X !!!
SYMPHONY X exemplifies the technical sophistication of progressive metal while transcending the genre by writing amazing songs with masterful musicality and great hooks!
This New York based super group effortlessly creates a balancing act between solid, accessible arrangements and song structures with highly technical, challenging instrumental work and unbelievable melodic vocal harmonies. This embrace of polyphonic lead vocals, combined with their classical-sometimes even Queen-like choruses create a powerful, in-your-face mixture. With elements of thundering metal, rock, solos with unstoppable guitar shredding and intense keyboards - this potent group has grown with every release and is poised to compete with the commercial success of top groups in all genres!
SYMPHONY X is currently creating their next masterpiece, anticipated in the spring of 2010!
"We are happy to be the part of the Nuclear Blast Family and look forward to working with them for many years to come," says guitarist Michael Romeo.

https://www.nuclearblast.de/showDynamicPage.php?ident=newsdetail&nid=3234

Could a mod change the thread title in the OP to reflect the new news?

Nice!!!!  :metal

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #235 on: November 13, 2009, 10:19:16 AM »
Awesome, hopefully it's as good or better than Paradise Lost.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 13, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
Great news! Looking forward to a new album.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #237 on: November 13, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
Spring. That's extremely exciting.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #238 on: November 13, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
First Threshold, now Symphony X.

Could this become a trend? Perhaps the safer Progressive Metal bands will be moving to metal labels, leaving InsideOut a more traditional Prog-Rock label. Only time will tell I guess.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: November 16, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
The Odyssey survivor is running. Listen and vote. Or die in a fire

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #240 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:39 PM »

Hell yeah!
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: November 16, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »

Hell yeah!

Personally, I'd rather see them strive towards a sound heard in Through the Looking Glass and The Divine Wings of Tragedy.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #242 on: November 16, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »

Hell yeah!

Personally, I'd rather see them strive towards a sound heard in Through the Looking Glass and The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

With Nuclear Blast (depending howm uch the label will affect the music), the sound will most likely stay heavy (Paradise Lost-heavy)
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #243 on: November 17, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
Does anyone feel that the first half of Twilight in Olympus is much better than the second half? Smoke and Mirrors to Through the Looking Glass is all amazing, but then The Relic, Orion The Hunter and Lady of the Snow aren't quite up to the same standard.

Absolutely. It's no big secret that TiO was rushed to market by the Japanese label.
The main casualty of this was the title track, which was supposed to be a new
"Divine Wings" but was then left off the album because of lack of time. I think it
later formed the basis for Rediscovery Pt. II on V. And I think the generic riffing on
these later tracks on the Twilight album is probably another result of time pressure.
Plus there are a few oddly rough transitions in the better tracks that I imagine
would've been improved as well if the band had been given more time.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #244 on: November 17, 2009, 10:10:11 AM »
Definitely agree about the first half being better. I do like Lady of the Snow though.