Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 311836 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »
A bit of looking around for news on what the band is up to says their working on a new CD.

The latest post in this thread says so at least.
https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/362175-latest-news-updated-9-21-new-cd-works.html

:caffeine:

DO WANT

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »
Guess they figured fans wouldn't wanna wait another five years this time.  :biggrin:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »
While I love Paradise Lost I really hope they turn the metal down a bit on the next one. Or at least mix it up with some of the really metal stuff like on Paradise Lost and some more proggy stuff like on V.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
Honestly, if they produce something like Paradise Lost, with an epic thrown in, I will be one happy man.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2009, 07:13:32 PM »
While I love Paradise Lost I really hope they turn the metal down a bit on the next one. Or at least mix it up with some of the really metal stuff like on Paradise Lost and some more proggy stuff like on V.
This.

Please god Symphony X go back to the V style with a heavy amount of prog and orchestral keyboard stuff and less formulaic power-prog metal.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »
This.

Please god Symphony X go back to the V style with a heavy amount of prog and orchestral keyboard stuff and less formulaic power-prog metal.

Exactly what I was thinking Portucci.  Let me buy you a beer...

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »
I liked Paradise Lost... But a balance like with Twilight in Olympus or The Odyssey would be cool.

Although I'd love for them to go back to the 94/95 era...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2009, 03:38:59 AM »
I hope they'll make an album that's epic and melodic, but a bit less metal than Paradise lost. More room for their keyboardist this time.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2009, 04:04:19 AM »
I read in some interviews with MJR that the next album will have material from Paradise Lost leftovers...

:facepalm:
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »
I read in some interviews with MJR that the next album will have material from Paradise Lost leftovers...

That's nothing to be worried about. Megadeth's new album had some recycled songs from United Abominations, and they still have the specific Endgame identity. They'll probably change them around to fit in with whatever they're currently writing.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »

That's fine by me. Another kickass album!

I would love an even heavier album, if i'm being completely honest.  :metal
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2009, 06:50:33 AM »
Update from Jax on the Ultimate Metal SX forum:

Coming soon..

..a new website!

..a new label!

..a new cd!

Sweet

I wonder what Label they're switching to?

Offline JamesCLN87

« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
I'm highly looking forward to this, I too missed the epic not present on paradise lost, I loved the album for what it was, highly polished, very well played power metal (with some prog thrown in) with kick ass vocals, but it was lacking a little something. Symphony X are one of my favourite bands, while at their core (and to someone not familiar with all their work) they are a power-prog-metal band with fantasy lyrics, amazing guitar playing, great vocals and keyboards etc. (Nothing to be sniffed at truly) it is the glimpses of greatness they show now and again that leaves me hoping for that perfect album I know they have in them. They've done stuff which ranks up with anything in the prog world in my opinion (part of V and the title track of the Odyssey in particular and I also love the title track of Divine Wings though I gather that's not as popular among fans) and if they could hit these heights consistently for a full album they would have a stone cold classic on their hands. Don't get me wrong I love most of the bands output but the songs I come back to again and again tend to be the longer ones where they have time to flesh out their ideas. I rank the Odyssey right up there with a Change of Seasons and Octavarium which shows how highly I think of it. There's just so much emotion in that song, from the acoustic story telling at the start to the triumphant part towards the end it's really a roller-coaster ride of a song. I have found a lot of people write them off after hearing some of the more popular metally songs of theirs, thinking they are merely a power metal band with good chops (I once heard a dragonforce comparison   :tdwn) I wish they would all take the time to listen to the Odyssey and other such works. I'm not pushed what form the songs take on the next album (Be they in the Paradise Lost style which I did enjoy especially the Title track Russell Allen sure can belt out the ballads in style) as long as I see a 20minute track lurking at the end of the album crammed full of the amazing music I know they are capable of.  :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2009, 11:28:23 AM »
Sony - they will support Britney Spears on her next tour :d

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2009, 12:17:37 PM »
Update from Jax on the Ultimate Metal SX forum:

Coming soon..

..a new website!

..a new label!

..a new cd!

Sweet

I wonder what Label they're switching to?

All of that is really great news! Their current website is terrible.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2009, 12:42:11 PM »
Awesome news.

They deserve to be picked up by RoadRunner.

I remember Opeth, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree all getting the nod around the same time.

SX deserve to be on a big label too.
Currently listening to:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »
Awesome news.

They deserve to be picked up by RoadRunner.

I remember Opeth, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree all getting the nod around the same time.

SX deserve to be on a big label too.
Totally.

Offline Raccoon

• Turn on the Bright Lights
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »
I don't think that I would have gotten into Symphony X if it wasn't for Dream Theater.... although I still enjoy DT more if it isn't obvious.

Still, I'm looking forward to listening to some more of their songs... I've just scratched the surface of the band thanks to Pandora. Most of the songs that I've heard there have been thumbed up.
*Image removed for being too tall*

Fan the flame with a little lie. Then turn your cheek until the fire dies.[/center]

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2009, 01:42:31 PM »
Although, I'm surprised that there was no mention of the supposed "live DVD" mentioned months ago.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »
Although, I'm surprised that there was no mention of the supposed "live DVD" mentioned months ago.

That's been in the planning for ages. Somehow this band takes things very, very slow. The news they give through their website is so little information each time. And that's IF they post something. Most of the time, the news is like: ' The band is writing the new CD. More info as it comes.' And then there's no info for months..  

In better news, thanks to this thread I've been revisiting SymX quite a bit lately. The reason I gave up on them for a few years must be due to my disappointment with Paradise Lost, or maybe the fact that I thought I 'outgrew' this style of 'fantasy metal'. Because that's what it is essentially.

Well it seems I'm not. Just listened to the epic 'The Odyssey' and it's still as great as it ever was. This song has everything that I could possibly ask for as a listener. The composition has 'tension - release' written all over it. The finale of the song is one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever heard in a song. I also love how at the very end Russell sings the 'Come true......' part as a lower note, and the guitar goes through some chord changes to finally arrive in an entirely new key. Ending is a song like that is fantastic!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:19:24 PM by PixelDream »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2009, 09:42:55 AM »
V Survivor now happening in P/S

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
What the next release needs:
more epics
more keyboards
more classical stuff
less FULL-ON-METUL-RIFFZ

I'm hoping for something between Twilight In Olympus and V

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »
That's awesome news! I liked Paradise Lost and I think they can deliver another metal (but hopefully some epics, and more Pinella)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:37 AM »
SX's best song is The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

I would say it's definitely one of the best.  They have a lot of good songs.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
The chorus of Eyes of Medusa is fucking awesome. RA destroys.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »
What the next release needs:
more epics
more keyboards
more classical stuff
less FULL-ON-METUL-RIFFZ

I'm hoping for something between Twilight In Olympus and V

Truer words are rarely spoken.  You are a wise man Bombardana.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2009, 05:16:03 PM »
Yup. As much as I like The Odyssey, V and Twilight of Olympus and TDWOT are their best albums, imo. I really hope they return to the more proggy side of things with more variation and not just riffs and Russell breaking his mics.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »
The chorus of Eyes of Medusa is fucking awesome. RA destroys.

That's because he's R fucking A

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2009, 06:11:32 AM »
You guys need to toughen up Paradise Lost is easily as kickass as their other albums.

Infact, i'd have it as number 2, and album of 2007.

Currently listening to:

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2009, 06:21:42 AM »
You guys need to toughen up Paradise Lost is easily as kickass as their other albums.

I listen to a lot of mathcore, black metal and extreme metal. My criticisms are not of it's toughness, but of its overall quality compared with previous Symphony X albums, and honestly, next to their older albums, PL just comes off as quite bland and samey. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's just lacking in the elements which I think make Symphony X great.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2009, 07:25:35 AM »

I listen to a lot of mathcore, black metal and extreme metal. My criticisms are not of it's toughness, but of its overall quality compared with previous Symphony X albums, and honestly, next to their older albums, PL just comes off as quite bland and samey. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's just lacking in the elements which I think make Symphony X great.

Same here. I listen to music that is way more brutal than SymX's Paradise Lost, but that particular style doesn't fit them too well. I love the dynamics, theatrics and more subtle elements of the older albums. That's what makes them different IMO.

There are some killer heavy riffs in The Odyssey and V too, but not ALL the freakin' time. I'm tired of hearing that MJR midi guitar sound in front of the mix. Because that's what they did. I believe, even with the music staying the same: Turn up Pinella, turn down MJR and re-do the ridiculously loud mastering, and you've got a killer record.

During the intro and 'Set the world on fire', the sound might sound appealing (in fact I was blown away by it the first time). But it's too relentless, and not in a good way.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #206 on: October 24, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »

Same here. I listen to music that is way more brutal than SymX's Paradise Lost, but that particular style doesn't fit them too well. I love the dynamics, theatrics and more subtle elements of the older albums. That's what makes them different IMO.

There are some killer heavy riffs in The Odyssey and V too, but not ALL the freakin' time. I'm tired of hearing that MJR midi guitar sound in front of the mix. Because that's what they did. I believe, even with the music staying the same: Turn up Pinella, turn down MJR and re-do the ridiculously loud mastering, and you've got a killer record.

During the intro and 'Set the world on fire', the sound might sound appealing (in fact I was blown away by it the first time). But it's too relentless, and not in a good way.
Yep exactly, great post  ;D

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #207 on: October 24, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »

Couldn't have said it any better.  This is exactly the problem I have with PL.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »
What does that even mean? Set The World on Fire has one of the best intros I've ever heard and it never ceases to amaze me.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: October 24, 2009, 01:20:50 PM »
What does that even mean? Set The World on Fire has one of the best intros I've ever heard and it never ceases to amaze me.

Their saying Set the World on Fire was great but when they kept up the relentless metal the whole album it got repetitive.