Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 324815 times)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1855 on: June 20, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
bosky, I listened to The Odyssey once through.  That was enough for me.

While it is easy to see that these guys are very talented and good at what they do, what they do doesn't resonate with me.

You could also give The divine Wings of Tragedy one last spin. It is their equivalent to Images and Words. If it doesn't resonate with you, you can ignore the band for good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1856 on: June 20, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
We'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1857 on: June 20, 2015, 10:34:58 AM »

While it is easy to see that these guys are very talented and good at what they do, what they do doesn't resonate with me.

You could also give The divine Wings of Tragedy one last spin. It is their equivalent to Images and Words. If it doesn't resonate with you, you can ignore the band for good.
Eh, if The Odyssey doesn't do it for you I don't know if SX is for you. Divine Wings is pretty much just Odyssey-lite.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1858 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:07 AM »
Russell Allen just sounds bored so far on both songs released. Anyone else getting that feeling too?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1859 on: June 22, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »

Eh, if The Odyssey doesn't do it for you I don't know if SX is for you. Divine Wings is pretty much just Odyssey-lite.

I agree.  I mean, it is a fair point that the band's sound has evolved and changed somewhat over time.  But The Odyssey is a good cross section of most aspects of the band that most fans like.  If that album didn't resonate with you, I have a hard time saying "well, but then you should try __________ because that will definitely persuade you."  If you listened to that album, you've more than given them a fair shake, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1860 on: June 22, 2015, 11:56:30 AM »
Yeah, I figured.

Like I said, they are obviously good at what they do, but what they are good at doesn't work for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1861 on: June 22, 2015, 06:55:46 PM »
Second song they release that does nothing for me. Oh well...

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: June 23, 2015, 03:57:52 AM »
I'm now listened to those 2 new songs quite a few times so I could say a few words. Nevermore is okay SX song, I can imagine it to be on my playlist in the future. I think it's like Set the World on Fire #2. Without You is like a leftover song from PL or Iconoclast era. It doesn't do anything special for me. The problem with these both songs is that they have done that earlier.. It's like they haven't grow up really well from a last decade...

Overall I have to say I'm quite disappointed to these singles because the reviews have highlighted that this album will be more melodic and Odyssey/V-era-sounding album.. I still have high hopes for the rest but they really need to develop their sound or go back to big orchestrations like Odyssey.. I'm afraid this will be a bunch of leftover sounding songs but we'll see...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: July 14, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
"Without You" has me addicted.  Been listening to it over and over.  Catchy song!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: July 14, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
"Without You" has me addicted.  Been listening to it over and over.  Catchy song!

Been listening to both Without You and Nevermore often. Looking forward to this release

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1865 on: July 14, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »

Been listening to both Without You and Nevermore often. Looking forward to this release

Same here! I know I'm a bit late, but Nevermore sounds to me like a song out of The Oddyssey, but with Iconoclast's production. And Without You feels like the Accolade II mixed with When All Is Lost or something like that. The Oddyssey vibe I'm getting from those 2 songs is making pretty excited about this release  :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1866 on: July 14, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »
10 more days till release in the US. I'm stoked!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: July 14, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »
Did anyone ever hear about a deluxe edition?  Amazon was just listing a regular one disc

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1868 on: July 14, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »
Did anyone ever hear about a deluxe edition?  Amazon was just listing a regular one disc

I don't think there is one mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1869 on: July 15, 2015, 01:19:28 AM »
There is no deluxe release, only the CD, vinyl and bundles.
No Japanese bonus track either.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1870 on: July 15, 2015, 01:20:47 AM »
Good  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1871 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »
The new songs ain't doing much for me so far, but I'm excited about the new album and will definitely be going to catch them on tour, they're always an amazing band to see live, Russell is the greatest showman I've ever seen, bar none!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: July 15, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »

Revolutionary!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1873 on: July 15, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »

Revolutionary!

Good, indeed, as this means that there's no incentive for me to want to pre-order early for any sort of bonuses. I did for the last album to get the signed photo of the band and the t-shirt, along with the deluxe edition of the album, but with nothing else really tempting me on this release, I can wait a month or two before buying it, which is fine by me!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: July 16, 2015, 08:29:49 AM »

Revolutionary!

Good, indeed, as this means that there's no incentive for me to want to pre-order early for any sort of bonuses. I did for the last album to get the signed photo of the band and the t-shirt, along with the deluxe edition of the album, but with nothing else really tempting me on this release, I can wait a month or two before buying it, which is fine by me!

-Marc.

Now you have room in the budget for the [Morse]Fest set.  Too bad they won't bundle the 4 CDs with the BluRays. That drives me nuts.

July 21st is preorder madness at Radiant, 8AM CST! (yikes!)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1875 on: July 22, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Only a few more days until the new album! Haven't listened to either of the new singles, but it sounds like they are getting some positive reviews.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: July 22, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
less than two days!!! 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: July 22, 2015, 04:01:13 PM »
less than two days!!!

:metal   It's been a while since I've been really pumped for an SX release but I'm really on board for this one - I have a feeling it might be right up there with my favourites.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1878 on: July 22, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
less than two days!!!

:metal   It's been a while since I've been really pumped for an SX release but I'm really on board for this one - I have a feeling it might be right up there with my favourites.

But.... but.... it's prog metal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: July 22, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
I really hope I can get this instore this weekend.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1880 on: July 22, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
Post #18,000 coming up.  Make it a good one!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: July 22, 2015, 05:04:39 PM »
less than two days!!!

But.... but.... it's prog metal.

But......but.... it's good.  Most isn't.  ;D

DWOT was high up inside my all time Top 50   , so if it all comes together I will be very much into it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1882 on: July 22, 2015, 05:06:23 PM »
Post #18,000 coming up.  Make it a good one!

:hat

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: July 22, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »
A celebratory spliff in advance - nice  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1884 on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:30 AM »

Apparently the local release has been delayed a week.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: July 23, 2015, 05:16:18 AM »
New SX assaulting my ears is imminent  :hat

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: July 23, 2015, 05:32:27 AM »

Fuck.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1887 on: July 23, 2015, 06:45:45 AM »
What do you mean by "Local" release? According to Amazon the release date is still 7/24.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:49 AM »

Fuck.

Now there's a memorable post for #18,000!  lol

Digital download baby... will be here first thing tomorrow morning.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: July 23, 2015, 07:11:52 AM »
I have just finished my first listen - this type of album will need a few listens to rate properly but preliminary rating = 90%

It's not the easiest album to describe in terms of their past work as it incorporates bits of everything and perhaps tries to be a reflection of all of their strengths - a bit like DT attempted with DT 12 perhaps , but I won't try and get that one up.  :lol

On the whole it has the more straight forward song structures of Paradise Lost and Iconoclast melded together with the more grand, melodic style of earlier albums.   When they attempt to go epic it doesn't really work as well as it did on albums like DWOT ...........nothing in the same class as The Accolade etc... but that's no surprise.   All band members are in great form , Russell is really singing nice and aggressive but clean and the production is fantastic.

The opener is an intro in the vein of FAS ,so we have 10 vocal songs in all.  I can divide them into three groups - the opening three (which include the two pre-release tracks) are great and had me all fired up .   Then there was a bit of a lull across the next 4 songs.........there is ZERO bad here , just degrees of good.....they just didn't totally click for me.  And then we close out with another three killers.   Swansong (no 10) was a struggle initially as it's trying (and failing again) in some parts to be really epic but it has enough good parts to it to qualify for "killer" rating.

The one track I hadn't heard which stands out to me is Run With The Devil.  It's a heavy , funky, proggy monster of a track that has a really nice melodic chorus as relief from all the shredding.

I think this album will end up top 3 for me in the end.  They won't top DWOT in my ratings but this album's style is made for me - it's proggy without meandering around, heavy and melodic.  And one of those rare things - a new album I want to play again straight up.

EDIT : I can see this going up at least a few rating points on 2nd listen as the midsection tracks are connecting with me a lot better this time around.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:09:44 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au