Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317261 times)

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1785 on: May 24, 2015, 06:47:40 AM »
Man, I really don't get an Iconoclast B-side vibe from this. Sounds fresh as fuck. Russel and Romeo on FIREEE

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1786 on: May 24, 2015, 07:08:23 AM »
I too think the songwriting approach is similar to Iconoclast. The only difference is the tone of the vocals and instruments.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1787 on: May 24, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
Meh,sounds okay.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #1788 on: May 24, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »
I disagree about the Iconoclast b-side assertions.  Those riffs and the clean, soaring vocals, especially in the chorus, are very reminiscent of the V-Odyssey era.  Admittedly, SX isn't exactly the most varied of bands, and there's a lot more continuity in their sound from album to album compared to, say, Dream Theater, but their history does have several distinct periods.  This song, while not sounding completely different from the PL-Iconoclast era, sounds more to my ears as belonging to The Odyssey.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:13:29 AM by The Dark Master »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1789 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »
It's Ok, I enjoyed the song. Nice to hear Russell's cleans again. The chorus is kind of a downer because of Russells vocals, maybe its the melody of the lyrics.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline me7

« Reply #1790 on: May 24, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
Regarding the comparisons to previous albums:
Are we talking about the same thing?

Regarding the songwriting (the way the song would look as notes on a note sheet), without any regard for clean/harsh vocals and guitar tones, I clearly see an Iconoclast b-side. The chorus is too "happy" to fit on Iconoclast but still written in the same mindset.
The tone of the band however is indeed very similar to V.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1791 on: May 24, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »

Regarding the songwriting (the way the song would look as notes on a note sheet), without any regard for clean/harsh vocals and guitar tones, I clearly see an Iconoclast b-side. The chorus is too "happy" to fit on Iconoclast but still written in the same mindset.

See: In The Dragon's Den, Sea of Lies, The Relic, The Turning, ect.

Light Up The Night isnt the only SymX song that features pounding double bass drumming and fast 16th note tremelo picking riffs the whole way through. Its a style that's popped up on pretty much all of their albums, especially pre-Paradise Lost era.  I dont really understand why everyone associates that with Iconoclast, when that album actually focused more on slowed down, groove-based heavy riffs (Dehumanized, Lords of Chaos, Faceless God, ect)

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #1792 on: May 24, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
At first I thought they got a new singer. Romeo shows that he still is one of the best riffers out there. I like the chorus. Lyric videos always make the lyrics seem arbitrary to me, so I don't know how I feel about that.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1793 on: May 24, 2015, 03:06:21 PM »
Heard it once. Not sure if I like it a lot, but Nightwish/Kamelot/Blind Guardian/Angra all had to grow on me recently (and did), so I'll see how it fares. It lacks any build up in the beginning (which SX is great at) and the chorus feels it would benefit from some extra punch by having a slight overdub, background vocals or instrument giving additional support. The album cover is okay in the sense that it at least has a nostalgic throwback thing going on. But the actual art is not something that will grow on me, nor those song titles.

Thankfully, Russel finally shows some vocal groove again (not only metalmode). Don't know if you guys were aware of the vocal workshops he gave last year, but he is in great shape:
Inferno https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUYoRJlQam0
Evolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7lXa6VZRgg

They better let some more old songs return to their setlists as well (last time I saw them was Iconoclast + Paradise Lost and Inferno/Sins, which is a shame)

Light Up The Night isnt the only SymX song that features pounding double bass drumming and fast 16th note tremelo picking riffs the whole way through. Its a style that's popped up on pretty much all of their albums, especially pre-Paradise Lost era.  I dont really understand why everyone associates that with Iconoclast, when that album actually focused more on slowed down, groove-based heavy riffs (Dehumanized, Lords of Chaos, Faceless God, ect)

True (if someone happens to view that evolution clip above, just listen to the end, for example). It is more of a production style and focus on certain elements that gives that stigma I think.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:17:11 PM by ErHaO »

Offline me7

« Reply #1794 on: May 24, 2015, 04:22:36 PM »

You're right about double bass and tremolo being prominent since the beginning, but the songs you listed don't feature it all the way through. They have more variety and structural complexity than songs from Iconoclast and Nevermore (maybe except for In the Dragon's Den, but that is intended as a counterpoint to Sonata and is supposed to be cliche metal).
The thrashy and technically challenging but structurally simple and monotonous songs became predominant on Iconoclast and Nevermore is one of them.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1795 on: May 25, 2015, 06:56:28 AM »
The older material definitely has more variety overall, so yeah I see your point.
I'm thinking the all out aggressivness of this song is going work well coming off of the "overture", which will probably sound like Oculus Ex Inferni and less "in your face".

The pre-chorus/chorus of Nevermore really draws me back to The Divine Wings of Tragedy (song). I dont know if its the way Russell is singing or the chords that Pinella is playing in the backround, but maybe a combination of both. Gave me nostalgic vibes from the first time I ever listened to DWOT.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:06:04 AM by PROGdrummer »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1796 on: May 25, 2015, 08:07:27 AM »
I find Nevermore a little underwhelming. For one, I find the pre-chorus better than the chorus and that's not good in my book. Russel sings well but not much more. Finally, I'm still trying to find where the interest of Romeo's solo lies (I don't see where it goes). Yep, it harkens back a little to DWoT  in the vibe, but not in the execution and not really in the composition. Was really hyped for this one, not so much now.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline me7

« Reply #1797 on: May 25, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »
The pre-chorus/chorus of Nevermore really draws me back to The Divine Wings of Tragedy (song). I dont know if its the way Russell is singing or the chords that Pinella is playing in the backround, but maybe a combination of both. Gave me nostalgic vibes from the first time I ever listened to DWOT.

That melody is definitely reminiscent of the early days. It reminds me of the Thorns of Sorrow chorus.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1798 on: May 26, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »
The song was awesome! Sounds much better than anything on the last two albums.  :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1799 on: May 26, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »
That intro to 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy'. That they didn't compose the notes is beside the question, the execution is just amazingly beautiful. I've heard that it's all Russell Allen, and I wouldn't be surprised. But still, those vocal harmonies, just wow. That kind of beauty is exactly what I've been missing in their music since Paradise Lost.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1800 on: May 26, 2015, 07:19:26 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Divine_Wings_of_Tragedy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclast_(Symphony_X_album)

Compare the writing credits. Pretty much tells you all you need to know about why those other dimensions have been somewhat lost.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1801 on: May 26, 2015, 11:30:46 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Divine_Wings_of_Tragedy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclast_(Symphony_X_album)

Compare the writing credits. Pretty much tells you all you need to know about why those other dimensions have been somewhat lost.
That's an interesting observation. I wonder why Pinella's writing input has dwindled down to zero.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #1802 on: May 27, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »
Finally heard the new track.  i like it a lot.  But then again, i'm a newer fan of the band, and in the definite minority in that i like PL and Iconoclast better than the older albums.  it'll take more listening to it, and i'm very excited for the whole album.  But on first listen, i dig it.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: June 08, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »
New album is up on Amazon for preorder.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1804 on: June 09, 2015, 10:58:49 PM »
FWIW a local guy who gets advance review copies has sent this.............

"I think 'Underworld' should make most fans of the band and Russell Allen very happy. The band have toned the aggression back a touch and provided a good mix of old and new Symphony X(without delving too much into the more proggy early days).

For those that have heard the track 'Nevermore', it doesn't get any heavier than that on the record, and besides maybe 'Underworld' and 'Kiss Of Fire' the rest of the album has a more melodic feel to it(while still retaining the heaviness at times). Allen's vocals sound less gruff and more like that on a Lande/Allen album for most of the record. 'Without You' is a great mid paced ballad type of song and wouldn't be out of place on any Lande/Allen album. 'Swan Song' is the other softer song on the album and again, is another great track with piano running through the song and Allen's voice more restrained.

My fave songs so far after a couple of listens would have to be the very melodic track 'Run With The Devil', the title track 'Underworld' which is heavy and has a great riff, and the last track on the album 'Legend' which has a nice mix of old and new Symphony X running through it.

Overall, first impressions are strong. I can definitely hear elements from the last two albums, especially on the heavier tracks. However, I also get a Damnation Game feel at times. There are no long winded prog songs on the album with most songs around the 5 and a half minute mark. I loved Iconoclast. I thought it was a gem of an album. I love the heavier side to my music, however If anything, it lacked a little variety. 'Underworld' has variety in that it mixes in a couple of really nice mid tempo ballad type of songs and also a few more melodic tracks that give the album more depth. "

Sounds like it could be right up my alley....fingers crossed.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1805 on: June 10, 2015, 12:14:24 AM »
I like the sounds of that review

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1806 on: June 10, 2015, 12:23:10 AM »
I can't see this coming anywhere near to topping Paradise Lost for me, so at the moment I'm just hoping it will be better than Iconoclast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1807 on: June 10, 2015, 05:01:17 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Art

« Reply #1808 on: June 10, 2015, 06:09:53 AM »
The Damnation Game reference gave me some hope.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1809 on: June 10, 2015, 06:16:25 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1810 on: June 10, 2015, 08:42:05 AM »
I can't see this coming anywhere near to topping Paradise Lost for me, so at the moment I'm just hoping it will be better than Iconoclast.

I liked both albums, but in both cases still kinda felt like "eh, I waited all these years for THIS?"  I try not to form opinions based on reviews, but that one actually does give me some reason to believe I will like this album better than its two immediate predecessors.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1811 on: June 10, 2015, 12:06:29 PM »
album ranking time?

Paradise Lost
V
Odyssey/Divine Wings of Tragedy
Iconoclast
Damnation Game
Twilight In Olympus
s/t

Its hard to rank them because theyre all equally good in different ways, but the top 2 spots are absolutes

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1812 on: June 10, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
Ok, let's see how this goes:

The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Twilight In Olympus/V
The Odyssey
Damnation Game
Paradise Lost/ST
Iconoclast

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1813 on: June 10, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
Something lite this:

V
The Odyssey
Paradise Lost
Twilight In Olympus
Damnation Game
Iconoclast
Symphony X (Haven't really gotten the listen it probably deserve)

I like Iconoclast but it's a bit to much metal for my neo-classical heart, atleast when we're talking about the SX I fell in love with.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1814 on: June 10, 2015, 01:29:06 PM »
The Odyssey
V
Iconoclast
Paradise Lost
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Twilight In Olympus
The Damnation Game
Symphony X

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1815 on: June 10, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
Album ranking? Sure, why not.

Paradise Lost
V
The Odyssey/ Iconoclast
Damnation Game
Divine Wings of Tragedy
Twilight in Olympus/ ST

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1816 on: June 10, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
Paradise Lost
Twilight in Olympus
The Odyssey
The Damnation Game
V
Iconoclast

I have not listened to the self titled yet.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1817 on: June 10, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
V - The New Mythology Suite
The Odyssey
Twilight in Olympus
Paradise Lost
The Damnation Game
Iconoclast

Symphony X
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: June 10, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
All of the albums (except for the debut, which I never got into) are pure gold.  Love them all

Odyssey
V
TIO
DWOT
Paradise Lost
Damnation Game
Iconoclast

SX

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #1819 on: June 10, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »
Well, I have a distinct top 3

1- V

2- Twilight in Olympus (having Church of the Machine and Through the Looking Glass is more then enough to make TIO my second favourite album, even if the lack of an epic title track makes it sound a bit incomplete)

3- The Divine Wings of Tragedy

After that it becomes a bit arbitrary, as The Damnation Game, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost and Iconoclast each excel in ways that are unique to themselves, but they all have their flaws that place them distinctly below the top 3.  It goes without saying, though, that the self titled debut is easily their weakest album