Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 311781 times)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2009, 02:13:29 AM »
As much as I love Symphony X, there's one thing that stops me from fully enjoy them and that is the god damn guitar tone that Romeo has. It sounds shit on albums and it sounds even worse live. He's a living example of how to use digital products like Line6 the WRONG way! Listen to Opeth to learn how to use it correctly! Or even better, use equipment like JP does. He always has a good, heavy tone that cuts through the mix and you can actually hear every note he plays.

/rant

I agree somewhat. On albums I think his tone sounds good (he uses a lot of different amps when recording - Mesa, ENGL, etc.), but live I think he still uses the Line6 Vetta II (at least that's what he was using when I saw them in '05), and yeah, it sounded pretty weak. Even if you watch their performance on the Gigantour DVD, his tone doesn't cut through very well.

But, just out of curiosity, since when has Opeth used digital amps? Last time I saw em they were using Laney heads.
For a really long time, they've used Boss GT-8 and/or GT-10 multi-effects unit, with EVERYTHING coming from there. Even the amp models. They then run it through the clean channels on their Laney heads. Obviously, when they're recording, they use so much more than that.

As far as Romeo's guitar tone in the studio - the only studio album where I think it sounds decent is Paradise Lost. It still sounds quite digital on all their other albums, I think. No dynamics, weird treble and it sounds...kind of boring and predicable. Maybe I'm just spoiled with Petrucci's excellent tone, but still...

And yes, I know I'm focusing on the bad in my posts here, but Symphony X really is one of my favorite bands that I had the pleasure of seeing when they opened for DT on the Systematic tour.  :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2009, 06:05:17 AM »
I listened to The Odyssey today. The song is so much better than I remember it, I hadn't listened to it for months.

I had Odyssey overkill a few months back. October I'll listen to it again and appreciate it's pure awesomeness once more.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2009, 06:21:38 AM »
I listened to The Odyssey today. The song is so much better than I remember it, I hadn't listened to it for months.

I had Odyssey overkill a few months back. October I'll listen to it again and appreciate it's pure awesomeness once more.
I do that a lot with albums. For example, even thinking about BCSL makes me sick because I got in over 300 listens in two months.  :lol
gone

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
I wanna see Symphony X live again. First time was supporting DT in manchester, arrived a bit late and didn't take any notice. Second time I was on the barrier at Blackburn and my GOD, they were one of the best live bands I've ever seen. I rarely ever like a band that much the first time I see them (i don't really dig live music unless I know it..)

As soon as they started playing I felt like I was really into the music, I guess partially the showmanship too, Allan was incredible, honestly one of the best showmen I've had the pleasure of seeing. And the rest of the band were so into it, along with the badass music, I had goosebumps the whole set. I would LOVE to see them again now that I actually know and love a lot of their music!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:30:43 AM by nightmare_cinema »
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »
I wanna see Symphony X live again. First time was supporting DT in manchester, arrived a bit late and didn't take any notice. Second time I was on the barrier at Blackburn and my GOD, they were one of the best live bands I've ever seen. I rarely ever like a band that much the first time I see them (i don't really dig live music unless I know it..)

As soon as they started playing I felt like I was really into the music, I guess partially the showmanship too, Allan was incredible, honestly one of the best showmen I've had the pleasure of seeing. And the rest of the band were so into it, along with the badass music, I had goosebums the whole set. I would LOVE to see them again now that I actually know and love a lot of their music!

Yeh pretty much this. I saw them in Newport with DT and arrived late, not paying much attention. Heard one of the last songs (and strangely one of the only ones I knew... I think it was the Turning). They playing phenomenally, and I'm so annoyed with myself that I didn't get into them sooner/turn up on time.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2009, 12:47:41 PM »
Only time I've seen them live so far was Gigantour '05 (which fortunately, also had DT there of course  :biggrin: with a lot of other awesome bands). It seems like every time they go on tour, the never come through my city, and on top of that, it's always during a busy school week so I can never drive anywhere to see 'em if I wanted to.  :sadpanda:

Which is part of the reason why I'm still of course crossing my fingers for a DVD.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
Seeing SX live is amazing. Russell Allen is damn near perfect, and the atmosphere is amazing.

Plus, singing the chorus to Paradise Lost without Russell is such an amazing concert moment

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »

Figure I'd throw those in here for funsies. :D

Off-topic edit: God damn I've lost weight.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2009, 08:25:22 PM »
*snippity doo dah*

Off-topic edit: God damn I've lost weight.

I'll say.

And does the sign behind you guys in the first pic say "Put In, Take Out"?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »
:lol I'm not sure, next time I see a show there I'll have to take note.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »
I've been living on The Odyssey and Paradise Lost for the last year and a half.  Finally decided to order some more from Amazon.

Symphony X (self titled)
The Damnation Game
Twilight in Olympus
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
V - The New Mythology Suite

:metal
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »
All of those except the self titles are awesome!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2009, 04:12:14 PM »

Yeah, no doubt.  The music is cool on self titled, but I don't like the singer much.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »

Yeah, no doubt.  The music is cool on self titled, but I don't like the singer much.

Yeah Rod Tyler isn't the best singer. They should think about re-recording them

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
Nah, he's great on those songs.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2009, 06:23:45 PM »
anything new goin on with this band? i saw them live like a year ago. are they thinking bout recording new album?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2009, 06:30:18 PM »
Nobody knows. I was worried when InsideOut went under because I didn't want a five year wait like last time. But Russell just had a baby girl, so I'm sure that comes first

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2009, 01:07:52 PM »
Russell certainly doesn't put fans high up on his list. Had a run in with him at the recent New Jersey Dream Theater concert. When I asked him if he was Russell Allen (I wasn't going to ask him for anything) he told me he had been accused of being him and then walked away and took pictures and signed autographs with like 15 other fans...I stood their shocked. I found out it was him by talking to who he was talking to one of the stage setup guys.  I have bought several of their albums and gone to their concerts. I'll never buy a single thing he ever does again.

Well that run in almost ruined my night until I ran into John Petrucci at a reststop. He took the time to talk to me and did a picture with me cause he wanted to. I didn't see it first hand, but I've heard two stories from a reliable source that I can't mention that he screwed over sg and Ayreon. I wish I would prove it but I don't want to start anything.

He's an amazing vocalist but...it pretty much killed my overall support for the band. I've run into the bass player Michael LePond at the concert and he was a great guy. I had a good talk with him. So is Romeo who I knew through a friend. If they make a new album I don't know if I'll buy it...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:18:52 AM by Stallion1 »

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
^that does sound a bit wierd.

Are you sure he wasn't just joking with you? Perhaps you've taken it the wrong way.

I'm sure if you asked him for a photo/signature he would have signed it straight away dude.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2009, 02:01:01 PM »
It's not weird man. After he said that, without smiling, he walked away without saying another word...and stopped to talk to some other people, sign stuff, and take pictures. He PROBABLY was upset that I didn't know right away who he was.  LAME-O

My little 15yrs old brother (who also was a huge fan, bought all his Jorn/Allen albums) and my gf were standing right there when it happened. I'm not a deformed looking fan either lol I'm just a normal looking guy. If he would have just left I would have said.."oh he just wanted to get out" nope...that was not the reason. If I were him, I would stop for any fan and wouldn't just lie to them. I'm the one who helps him pay his bills.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:18:06 AM by Stallion1 »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2009, 02:36:57 PM »
How did he screw SG and Ayroen?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
When I met all the members they all seemed really cool. Especially Russell and Jason

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2009, 02:53:06 PM »
 The rest of the guys from the band are awesome.

I'm glad you had a good experience meeting him PLaysLikeMyung, I didn't. It hurt a bit for that to happen, I was a huge Symphony X fan for a long time. I'm extremely unhappy at what happened.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:17:34 AM by Stallion1 »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2009, 03:16:32 PM »
Crap. He did the live album with Star One at least :D This doesn't really change my mind about the band or the music, but Allen and Shadow Gallery? That's something I would have loved to see, especially if it was with Mike.

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »
I thought that before I met him lol
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:51:25 PM by Stallion1 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
I met Russell Allen at the most recent Dream Theater concert in New Jersey and the guy couldn't have been friendlier. He took a picture with me and joked with me and a friend. Some other friends who were there shared the same experience.

And he seemed to be on good enough terms with Arjen to do a Star One album and live album, so really, what are you talking about? Is there a way you can possibly give more specifics? Because as it is it looks as if it's simple mudslinging on the internet with no real base behind it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I met Russell Allen at the most recent Dream Theater concert in New Jersey and the guy couldn't have been friendlier. He took a picture with me and joked with me and a friend. Some other friends who were there shared the same experience.

And he seemed to be on good enough terms with Arjen to do a Star One album and live album, so really, what are you talking about? Is there a way you can possibly give more specifics? Because as it is it looks as if it's simple mudslinging on the internet with no real base behind it.

I just read an interview where Arjen talks about getting Russell involved in his next project. I never, ever heard such negative things about Russell Allen.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Stallion1

« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2009, 04:01:26 PM »
He was an a-hole when I met him and I've heard two stories of him screwing over bands by someone know who works in the music business. Believe me or not.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:33:39 AM by Stallion1 »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
Well Stallion, when someone with such a low post count comes on and starts off expressing such extreme opinions, particularly negative ones, it looks kind of suspicious because they have nothing to lose.

Until I read this thread, I was about to ask if you were some inside shill for Shadow Gallery since you said you have heard more than just the previews and were so adamant in your defence of the new singer (I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore).

I've never met Russell, but I have a hard time believing he intentionally blew you off.  At the same time I'm not calling you a liar, I think what probably happened is you interpereted your interaction with him in a way different than he expected...or you inadvertently pissed him off somehow, which can happen sometimes.  Either way, not supporting the other members of the band because of one experience seems kind of juvenile and reactionary.

Either way, welcome to the boards!

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Just found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcj6T2_8MaQ&feature=related

:lol

The pictures are funnier than the lyrics.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »
Just found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcj6T2_8MaQ&feature=related

:lol

The pictures are funnier than the lyrics.

Nice find  :tup

Some of the "misheard" stuff was a stretch, but the pictures were great.

/thread derailment

Here is an awesome "Yellow Ledbetter" one.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU

/thread derailment

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »
He was an a-hole when I met him and I've heard two stories of him screwing over bands by someone know who works in the music business. Believe me or not.

Hey watch it buddy. That's damaging hearsay!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »

I can believe you heard those stories, what I'm interested in is knowing if you have any way of knowing those stories are true and un-biased.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »
Twilight In Olympus survivor now happening in P/S

Vote nao

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
A bit of looking around for news on what the band is up to says their working on a new CD.

The latest post in this thread says so at least.
https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/362175-latest-news-updated-9-21-new-cd-works.html
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.