Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317185 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2800 on: June 07, 2022, 09:33:59 AM »
Looks like someone on facebook, maybe a promoter by the wording, is saying the band has multiple members unvaccinated and lists Spain that won't let them in. This person offered them to still do the Israel show but they declined so they are quite clearly pissed.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2801 on: June 07, 2022, 09:42:51 AM »
Is this on the SX Facebook page?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2802 on: June 07, 2022, 09:44:15 AM »
Looks like someone on facebook, maybe a promoter by the wording, is saying the band has multiple members unvaccinated and lists Spain that won't let them in. This person offered them to still do the Israel show but they declined so they are quite clearly pissed.
Part of their FOH crew was wearing a shirt proudly proclaiming his unvaccinated status. While they're certainly not cancelling dates because of a crew-member, it does suggest something about the attitude of the guys as a whole.

Gary: Here in Dallas he made a quiet, offhanded comment to the effect of "yeah, and we smoke a ton of grass, too." I didn't think much of it, but it appears he wasn't kidding around for the crowd.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2803 on: June 07, 2022, 10:28:57 AM »
Gary: Here in Dallas he made a quiet, offhanded comment to the effect of "yeah, and we smoke a ton of grass, too." I didn't think much of it, but it appears he wasn't kidding around for the crowd.  :lol

Oh he wasn't kidding  :lol  The cloud was thick and lingering and it reeked of no expense spared on procuring the product. Was a pretty cool 'scene' too as the small incandescent light that was above the door had a weak trickle of power to it so it looked like a very noir-esk movie scene. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2804 on: June 07, 2022, 12:13:12 PM »
Oh crap. The band has cancelled their entire European summer tour for some reason. I was supposed to see them at a festival in a few weeks.  :sadpanda:

Maybe they throw another US leg together then? Longer show? Different supporting acts....
That would be awesome!  I wouldn't mind at all to see Symphony X two times in one year. Dream Theater was talking about doing another U.S. leg. Them and Symphony X would be a killer lineup.  Or have Mike Leponds Silent Assassins open up, that way he could play bass all night.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2805 on: June 07, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
I am confused. I don't think there is a European country where vaccination is mandatory right now? And the borders are open between EU countries? Perhaps getting tested prior to flight is a problem?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2806 on: June 07, 2022, 02:41:11 PM »
That would be awesome!  I wouldn't mind at all to see Symphony X two times in one year. Dream Theater was talking about doing another U.S. leg. Them and Symphony X would be a killer lineup. 

Would really dig that. But, I'll say....unless DT decides to do something about their overtly loud sound where JP drowns out everyone else for 80% of the show.....Symphony X as an opener will 'outperform' them.

I utterly LOVE Dream Theater and appreciate everything they are. They're a constant in my life of which their music is indescribably how it's helped me and been a part of my life. BUT....the past two times I've seen them....while they gave a good show.....JP was entirely too loud to the point of detracting from the rest of the band and making the experience just 'alright'.

Compare that to Symphony X from a couple weeks ago and the sound was spot freaking on and it may have been one of the top concerts I've ever been to. Behind only my three experiences with The Neal Morse band and DT in Nashville and Peoria from a few years ago.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2807 on: June 07, 2022, 02:51:12 PM »
That would be awesome!  I wouldn't mind at all to see Symphony X two times in one year. Dream Theater was talking about doing another U.S. leg. Them and Symphony X would be a killer lineup. 

Would really dig that. But, I'll say....unless DT decides to do something about their overtly loud sound where JP drowns out everyone else for 80% of the show.....Symphony X as an opener will 'outperform' them.

I utterly LOVE Dream Theater and appreciate everything they are. They're a constant in my life of which their music is indescribably how it's helped me and been a part of my life. BUT....the past two times I've seen them....while they gave a good show.....JP was entirely too loud to the point of detracting from the rest of the band and making the experience just 'alright'.

Compare that to Symphony X from a couple weeks ago and the sound was spot freaking on and it may have been one of the top concerts I've ever been to. Behind only my three experiences with The Neal Morse band and DT in Nashville and Peoria from a few years ago.

This same thought came to mind. The sound even though was loud, you can still hear every instrument. I mean, the drums were punchy and clear, Romeos' guitar sound didn't drown the rest of the band. I mean, I would even dare to say that Pinella's keyboard was too loud lol.

GMiller, do you have Live on the Edge of Forever? That's Symphony X's only live album. Get it, stream it, etc. It has The Divine Wings of Tragedy live which actually blows the studio version away by miles. I've been listening to it ever since after the Austin show. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: June 07, 2022, 02:56:23 PM »

The problem is Symphony X is high energy and much more "live".  So I actually think you may be right that SX would be more fun than DT even though I like DT much more.  DT's live show is just very stale.  I like the more "metal" feel of the SX live show.  Those two touring together seems unlikely though.  I think DT will stick with cheaper opening acts if they continue that route. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: June 07, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »

This same thought came to mind. The sound even though was loud, you can still hear every instrument. I mean, the drums were punchy and clear, Romeos' guitar sound didn't drown the rest of the band. I mean, I would even dare to say that Pinella's keyboard was too loud lol.

GMiller, do you have Live on the Edge of Forever? That's Symphony X's only live album. Get it, stream it, etc. It has The Divine Wings of Tragedy live which actually blows the studio version away by miles. I've been listening to it ever since after the Austin show.

Nope but I will definitely be getting it now.

I think the venue they played at had a lot to do with the experience as well. This place is a 1,000 seat venue that was packed....so it was at capacity. So, not all that big....no need to blow the walls off the place. The mix for them and HAKEN was just spot on. 'Loud' to the point that it was a rock concert but as you mention....it wasn't loud enough to where any one member was drown out.....it sounded great!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2810 on: June 07, 2022, 03:15:05 PM »

The problem is Symphony X is high energy and much more "live".  So I actually think you may be right that SX would be more fun than DT even though I like DT much more.  DT's live show is just very stale.  I like the more "metal" feel of the SX live show.  Those two touring together seems unlikely though.  I think DT will stick with cheaper opening acts if they continue that route.

Allen was extremely engaged with the crowd....as I just mentioned it was a smaller venue but it may have been the most involved and 'rowdy' crowd I've been a part of and Allen loved it.....as did Ross and all the rest of the guys playing that night. They were genuinely appreciative of the feedback and how enthused the crowd was all night and all members from Haken and SX had smiles on their faces the whole time.

It's not that I haven't enjoyed the DT concerts....I have....largely because I get to share those experiences with my sons now.....it's just man....JP has been LOUD. I'd replace 'stale' with 'rehearsed' which.....can give it that feel I suppose but it's clear that DT just wants to present a product these days and as long as you know that going in you'll be fine. Those MP concert days where it was more organic are simply gone.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2811 on: June 07, 2022, 03:48:03 PM »
Wow if SX has really fixed their sound issues, that's definitely something.  Whenever I've seen them the sound has been really poor and you can rarely hear the keys.  I think someone here did indicate that the sound was kind of bad at their show - one of the early ones, maybe Pennsylvania.  If they've improved it for most of the other shows, good for them.

I didn't see DT on this tour either but I've never had a problem where I could only hear Petrucci.  I usually think JM could be turned up, but even feel like that was better for TA and Distance Over Time tours.  And I can always hear Jordan and Mike.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2812 on: June 07, 2022, 03:49:35 PM »
I agree about SX, they sound awesome on this tour. They weren't too loud at all but they put on one heck.of a show and they were so much fun. Heck, I think they have a more rockin fun show than DT this time around. DT was amazing back in February but they were borderline too loud. Arch Echo was ridiculously loud which made them unenjoyable.  I called them Ear Ache-o after that.
Symphonic X is definitely giving Dream Theater a run for their money right now.  The crowd was way more engaged too.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2813 on: June 07, 2022, 03:54:53 PM »
Dallas or Austin? Sound up here was decent but not great.

Generally, I wouldn't say SX is competing with DT. DT still plays more interesting music, IMO, and their chops are mostly better. Haken, on the other hand, has surpassed DT in every way that matters in my book.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2814 on: June 07, 2022, 04:31:57 PM »

Generally, I wouldn't say SX is competing with DT. DT still plays more interesting music, IMO, and their chops are mostly better. Haken, on the other hand, has surpassed DT in every way that matters in my book.

Austin. The sound was very loud since Trope hit the stage.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2815 on: June 07, 2022, 07:29:32 PM »

I only caught the last couple of songs of the Haken set, but they sounded good. Symphony X was far better imo, but I guess I can't really give Haken a fair shake since I missed most of their set.  As far as Haken surpassing DT with their chops or song writing?? No freakin way man!
Symphony X is close to DT in that department.. 💪

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2816 on: June 08, 2022, 02:37:55 AM »
I really don’t care if some of them would be anti (covid)vax.. some of my closest relatives are and I’ve come to accept that the last couple of years have given people a distorted view of reality. I can’t blame ‘em.

SymX are an awesome band. I’ve seen a few headline shows on The Odyssey tour, seen them open for Dream Theater on the Systematic Chaos tour and the last time was 3 years ago at the Fortarock festival in Holland. It was early in the afternoon, and the sun and it was so damn hot that day but they were so good we were just melting in the burning sun. Too bad they cancelled their Europe tour.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2817 on: June 08, 2022, 06:41:24 AM »
I really don’t care if some of them would be anti (covid)vax.. some of my closest relatives are and I’ve come to accept that the last couple of years have given people a distorted view of reality. I can’t blame ‘em.

SymX are an awesome band.

Yes, they are awesome.  But at the same time, fans are losing out over what has essentially become a job requirement (being covid vaccinated for travel purposes).  If they choose to not roll up their sleeves, so be it, but they are also screwing over European fans in the process. 

It's not the first time an artist held out in favor of their political beliefs and won't be the last, but it does suck for those fans who wanted to see them.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2818 on: June 08, 2022, 08:29:30 AM »
Getting ready to start the 3 hour drive to Orlando for tonights show!!  Anyone else going??  :metal :metal :metal

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2819 on: June 08, 2022, 11:14:02 AM »

I only caught the last couple of songs of the Haken set, but they sounded good. Symphony X was far better imo, but I guess I can't really give Haken a fair shake since I missed most of their set.  As far as Haken surpassing DT with their chops or song writing?? No freakin way man!
Symphony X is close to DT in that department.. 💪
"Chops and songwriting" was with regards to the SX comparison. As for Haken surpassing DT, in my opinion they're a much better live band, and they're writing better music right now. DT is as talented as it gets, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being a great band. Despite the difference in musical talent, Haken is a great band in my book, and DT has been "generally alright" for years now. Greatness left quite some time ago.

Also, if the Carousel encore didn't work for you then your take on SX being better is a fair shake. I couldn't disagree more, but that's why we all come here to talk music, after all.
E.F. Benson

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2820 on: June 09, 2022, 10:55:33 AM »
As for the Haken set, I arrived at the venue when they were playing Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes.  Carousel sounded really cool, but I just wasn't familiar with it. The singer had a cool stage presence but seemed a little off key at times.  I wish I could have caught their whole set so I could have got into the vibe a bit more.  I'm glad you're digging them El Barto, I'll definitely check out more of their catalog.  I have The Mountain on cd and it's kind of hit and miss.
I own the entire Symphony X catalog,  and their style of music is right up my alley. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2821 on: June 09, 2022, 11:05:08 AM »
As for the Haken set, I arrived at the venue when they were playing Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes.  Carousel sounded really cool, but I just wasn't familiar with it. The singer had a cool stage presence but seemed a little off key at times.  I wish I could have caught their whole set so I could have got into the vibe a bit more.  I'm glad you're digging them El Barto, I'll definitely check out more of their catalog.  I have The Mountain on cd and it's kind of hit and miss.
I own the entire Symphony X catalog,  and their style of music is right up my alley.
Yeah, OofLH was also put in the middle of another kind of weak song, in my book. Definitely not the high point of the show. And Carousel (most of their stuff, actually) probably does benefit from a couple of listens. Once I became somewhat familiar with it it became one of my favorites. Haken's catalog varies quite a bit, so it's kind of hard to pin them down, but that's one of the things I actually really dig about them.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2822 on: June 09, 2022, 02:09:18 PM »
That’s really idiotic on Russ’ part. Smoking really screws with your voice, ask any professional singer.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2823 on: June 09, 2022, 02:16:47 PM »
That’s really idiotic on Russ’ part. Smoking really screws with your voice, ask any professional singer.
Who knows for sure if he was actually partaking.  Whatever it is he can sure back it up, he sounds amazing on this tour!  One of the best vocalists on the scene right now..  :coolio

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2824 on: June 13, 2022, 01:52:10 PM »
I’m honestly quite amazed with how he sounds on this tour. Someone filmed the entirety of The Odyssey and he’s as powerful as he ever was, maybe even handling some passages better than he used to.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2825 on: June 13, 2022, 02:11:49 PM »
Went to the show last night.  Thought they sounded good.  The set was better than the NYC show to start the tour, mostly because we got an extra song (I guess it was added after that first NYC show) but also because Russell had his daughter on stage at the end and he did a little serenade to his wife in the crowd.  Being a tour ending hometown show for SX, I was hoping maybe they'd do a little more extra but as far as I could tell, that was it.  He may have expanded on the end of the Odyssey more than the first time but I had to leave before the end of the song last time, this time I stayed until the end and it seemed like he may have dragged out the ending of the song a bit.  When I get home from work I will put together a video that has a lot more footage.  Probably at least an hour of the show, I chilled in the back of the balcony by myself and just let the camera roll for most of the show.

Symphony X - Evolution (The Grand Design) LIVE @ Wellmont Theater Montclair NJ 6/12/2022

Symphony X - When All Is Lost (with Russell Singing to his wife) LIVE @ Wellmont Theater Montclair NJ 6/12/2022

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2826 on: June 14, 2022, 01:45:10 PM »
My long form video from Sunday's show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxC5phWFGvE

but also, I forgot to mention, Russell said multiple times on Sunday that they are planning on touring the US again in 2023.  He didn't it was confirmed but kept saying they will be back next year. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2827 on: June 14, 2022, 01:49:00 PM »
My long form video from Sunday's show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxC5phWFGvE

but also, I forgot to mention, Russell said multiple times on Sunday that they are planning on touring the US again in 2023.  He didn't it was confirmed but kept saying they will be back next year.

He said something similar in Denver as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: June 14, 2022, 01:54:15 PM »

He said something similar in Denver as well.

Ah ok, I dont think he said that in NYC so wasn't sure if that was an end of tour announcement or not. 

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2829 on: October 08, 2023, 10:58:59 AM »
bump.

I miss this band. Sad to see that the last mentions of this band on the internet are talks of another tour and possible album out by 2023. Well, thats not happening.

Anybody have any info?

Offline krands85

« Reply #2830 on: October 08, 2023, 11:15:24 AM »
Yeah it's a shame how sporadic their releases have become. 6 albums between 1994 and 2002 and then only 3 since.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2831 on: October 08, 2023, 01:03:53 PM »
Yeah it's a shame how sporadic their releases have become. 6 albums between 1994 and 2002 and then only 3 since.

Oh shit, it's not that I didn't believe you, but seeing it written like that, made me go and check to do the math. They REALLY released three albums in 20 years. Wow. Iron Maiden could have done that and lived only on nostalgia tours, and in 20 years of reunion they released six albums instead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2832 on: October 08, 2023, 03:20:45 PM »
They haven’t made a bad album but I do miss those V and Odyssey vibes from them. Hope they have one masterpiece left in them. The ambition of those albums was just something else.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: October 08, 2023, 03:47:49 PM »

Oh shit, it's not that I didn't believe you, but seeing it written like that, made me go and check to do the math. They REALLY released three albums in 20 years. Wow. Iron Maiden could have done that and lived only on nostalgia tours, and in 20 years of reunion they released six albums instead.

That actually is quite an alarming stat.  Venturing into Tool territory.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2834 on: October 08, 2023, 03:48:11 PM »
In the interviews I did with Romeo, Lepond and Jason Rullo, all three said that the neoclasdical vibe of those mid-2000 albums had run its coyrse. I'd say a new Symphony X album would sound closer to Romeo's solo albums...they were intended to be a new Symphony X album, but Russell wasn't ready to come back yet, after the AMob accident. So Romeo released them as solo albums.