Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316071 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #280 on: January 22, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »
Divine Wings is very neo-classical. So is Twilight.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #281 on: January 22, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
For some reason, Odyssey beãts the living crap out of Paradise Lost. Imo
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #282 on: January 22, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
For some reason, Odyssey beãts the living crap out of Paradise Lost. Imo

I agree
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: January 22, 2010, 10:44:41 PM »
Just finished The Odyssey. Good album. Not awesome (well some parts were), and not bad.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #284 on: January 22, 2010, 10:48:34 PM »
Whatever you do you have to listen to at least three SX albums. The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Twilight in Olympus and V. Don't stop if you don't like one of those, just give the other a shot. All of them are great.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #285 on: January 22, 2010, 10:50:33 PM »
Yup.

While PL and the Odyssey are good, I just feel that TDWOT and V have more quality to all their songs and they work better as albums.

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #286 on: January 24, 2010, 02:11:50 AM »
Their livealbum sounds incredible. Russell is flawless, never missing a note (granted I haven't heard all of it yet. Shut up :D)

No way dude. He improvised all over that performance to avoid getting winded so there are countless missed notes. That said, it's still an excellent live album and he is an awesomely charismatic frontman. I remember seeing them open for Blind Guardian in Dallas(a 400 mile drive from New Orleans) in November '02 and he was relentlessly energetic and just as thrilled to be performing as the audience was to see SX. I believe he has a "showmanship before perfection" ethic that suits him and the band really well so even though his live act is far from perfect I'll gladly take that compromise any day.

Only other annoyance was Michael Pinnella's choice to play all/most of his pre-V solos in that nasal patch he used extensively on V which had them sounding an octave lower which on top of Romeo's constant ad libbing away from his own solos really butchered some solo tradeoff sections.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #287 on: January 24, 2010, 09:25:06 AM »
Considering there's most likely going to be a new tour this year, what songs would you like to see played live? I think Smoke & Mirrors is standard, so I wouldn't include it in your list.

inb4 The Odyssey :biggrin:

The Damnation Game
Sea of Lies
Seven
The Turning
The Relic

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #288 on: January 24, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »
You just remeinded me of how I wasn't able to see them when they came by in '07.  :'(

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #289 on: January 24, 2010, 11:00:29 AM »
Considering there's most likely going to be a new tour this year, what songs would you like to see played live? I think Smoke & Mirrors is standard, so I wouldn't include it in your list.

inb4 The Odyssey :biggrin:

The Damnation Game
Sea of Lies
Seven
The Turning
The Relic

I agree with all these, especially Seven  :metal and of course The Odyssey (no brainer).

Plus,
Accolade II
Fool's Paradise
Egypt
Awakenings

I'm sure they've played a lot of these live at some point, but the only time I've ever been able to see them live was Gigantour '05, so seeing them play a full length set will be quite a treat.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »
Unfortunately, full length for SX is an hour and fifteen minutes...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
After giving The Odyssey a few more listens and a few days to be digested, I can say that is is a great album. I definitely like it more now then when I first listened to it  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #292 on: January 25, 2010, 09:15:55 AM »
The vocals on PL aren't any more harsh than The Odyssey.

I strongly disagree.  Other than the title track and part of one other, Russ doesn't vary from harsh mode the entire album.  I mean, it's not more harsh than, say, King of Terrors.  But it's like 90% of the album stays in that mode, which is fine if you like that kind of singing.  I do, but I also like Russ' melodic side as well as all the vocal variety he is able to bring.  PL has a great, heavy sound to it.  But at the same time, it bores me because it almost never strays from the same exact sound you are hearing right from the first track.

Birchboy, not to throw a monkey wrench or anything, but I am going to offer completely different recommendations.  You like heavy, and if you've listed to The Odyssey (the album) all the way through, you will have heard a pretty broad range of the band's sound, so I would definitely go with PL next.  My only criticism of it is, again, the fact that it is very one-dimensional.  But I suspect you would like it.

After that, V would be my recommendation.  If you can get past the silly theme (mythology, etc.), it's probably their best album.  Although I've definitely heard heavier things, the opening two tracks are the most metal album opening I've ever heard in my life.  The album is well put together in almost every respect.  If I had to compare the album's sound to something else, I would compare it to the title track of The Odyssey.  If you like the way it sounds, you will most definitely like V.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:25:04 AM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: January 25, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
I couldn't get into V... I like a few of the songs, but that's it. And I really like Russell's more melodic side, too, which is why I love The Damnation Game.

Between TDG and TDWOT, something happened that seriously pissed off RA, and now he sound pissed off all the time :lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: January 25, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more bosk. To use your words, the one-dimensionality of throughout most of Paradise Lost really detracts from the album in my opinion. I prefer the balance you hear in songs like Through the Looking Glass (from Twilight in Olympus).
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #295 on: January 25, 2010, 09:26:32 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more bosk. To use your words, the one-dimensionality of throughout most of Paradise Lost really detracts from the album in my opinion. I prefer the balance you hear in songs like Through the Looking Glass (from Twilight in Olympus).

Yeah, it could have been a spectacular album if they had only included a bit more of the variety they have shown they are capable of on earlier albums.  But most times I listen to it, about 3/4 of the way through, I've having to check my CD player to make sure I didn't accidentally set it on auto-repeat after track 1.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: January 25, 2010, 09:46:29 AM »
I was just on Symphony X's Ulitmate Metal board, and someone spoke to Jason Rullo at NAMM, and apparently he said that the album will be heavier than PL, but also more progressive and dynamic

So, that sounds like a :metal mix to me, but I'll reserve judgement until I hear it

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: January 25, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »
PLM, that description sounds epic as fuck. Typical 'before album is out' talk though ya know? We'll see! I know I'm excited.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #298 on: January 25, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »
PL is pure win from start to finish.

SX have made dozens of songs with softer vocals. No doubt they wanted more mainstream exposure with the heavier tracks.

I honestly have no idea why people don't appreciate PL. It's not their best album, but it's certainly not far off, IMO.

Album of 2007 for me.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #299 on: January 25, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »
Between TDG and TDWOT, something happened that seriously pissed off RA, and now he sound pissed off all the time :lol

:lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »
I was just on Symphony X's Ulitmate Metal board, and someone spoke to Jason Rullo at NAMM, and apparently he said that the album will be heavier than PL, but also more progressive and dynamic

Opeth's style jumps to mind.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #301 on: January 25, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »
After giving The Odyssey a few more listens and a few days to be digested, I can say that is is a great album. I definitely like it more now then when I first listened to it  :tup

Same, I like it a lot more now than when I first heard it. I think it's one of my favorite albums now.  :D

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #302 on: January 25, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
The Odyssey was my first, and still my favorite SX album.  :tup The last movements of the title track (Fate of the Suitors/Champion of Ithaca) are probably some of the most epic, inspiring pieces I've heard. Never gets old to listen to.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:24:34 PM by MetalMike06 »

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #303 on: January 25, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »
Unfortunately, full length for SX is an hour and fifteen minutes...

Well, it's sure better than 30 minutes  :P

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: January 25, 2010, 04:47:16 PM »
The Odyssey was my first, and still my favorite SX album.  :tup The last movements of the title track (Fate of the Suitors/Chamption of Ithaca) are probably some of the most epic, inspiring pieces I've heard. Never gets old to listen to.
I'd say TDWOT(song) has an even more epic ending than The Odyssey

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 25, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
The Odyssey was my first, and still my favorite SX album.  :tup The last movements of the title track (Fate of the Suitors/Chamption of Ithaca) are probably some of the most epic, inspiring pieces I've heard. Never gets old to listen to.
I'd say TDWOT(song) has an even more epic ending than The Odyssey

The song seems to drag on, I think. As opposed to The Odyssey, which is lively from start to finish

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #306 on: January 27, 2010, 06:49:47 AM »
I'll just rate all the songs I've heard so far since I'm not the "Go through the whole album" style.
Yes, you can call me a NEWB in Symphony X.

Of Sins and Shadows 9/10
Very cool song. When I first heard it, my head just started banging automatically. Vocal is good but it isn't that memorable.

Sea of Lies 10/10
Really well-made composition of non-stop shredding. Gotta love the vocal here. And the Keyboard-Guitar unison sweeping is just insane.

The Pharaoh 8.5/10
I love the lyrics and vocal. Really addictive. But I have to say the other half of the song is kinda boring.

Inferno(Unleash the Fire) 9/10
Shredding song. The vocal's cool. But not that special song.

The Odyssey 10/10
This is the song that actually made me get into Symphony X. I was looking for a decent 20+ minute epic song aside from ACOS and Octa. Then this just struck me so hard. This song taught me the wide range of Russell's vocal and the whole band's creativity. Gotta love the TRIIIIUMMMPHANT CHAMPION OF ITHACAAAAA.

Masquerade 7/10
Kinda boring for me.

Now after I get bored of Odyssey, I'll start sweeping through Symphony X and Damnation.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »
Do NOT start with Symphony X or Damnation Game. Trust me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: January 27, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »
Do NOT start with Symphony X or Damnation Game. Trust me.

WHY?!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »
I'm not saying Damnation Game is bad. It's just definitely not for a newcomer.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
It wouldn't be his first album

I'd actually recommend Twilight In Olympus. There's a lot of variety on that album

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
Yes, but there's still a metric fuckton of good music to find before you go trekking in Pre-TDWOT territory.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: January 27, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
TiO is post TDWOT :P

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: January 27, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
derp. I was responding to your "It won't be his first album, though" comment.  :P

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: January 27, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
Specify next time, dammit!