Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317194 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2695 on: May 11, 2022, 02:40:04 PM »
I've seen comments on FB lately regarding the lackluster setlist of this tour.

Lackluster is generous when describing that setlist.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: May 11, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »
I thought they were pretty good last night.  I was never a big fan (I went for Haken) but they may have won me over as a band I should check further out.  The guitaring was really awesome.  I thought the vocals were really good too.  The covid stuff he was talking about in between songs felt like a bit too much, probably my only real complaint.  I've seen some people on social media complain about the set, as someone who never saw them, I can't complain but it seems like those complaints are legit.  I did have to leave right before they ended the Odyssey though as it was approaching 11:30pm. 

Here's my recording: Symphony X - Run With The Devil LIVE @ Irving Plaza New York City NY 5/10/2022

Were you also parked in the garage on 15th Street that closed at 11:30 p.m.?

Nope, but I had a train to catch and it's a long walk from the venue to Penn Station.

Additionally, I don't understand how or these bills are put together and why they had to have two bands play before Symphony X.  It's probably good for the venues.  It seemed like a lot of people were buying drinks and merchandise while Trope was playing.  As a result, Symphony X didn't take the stage until about 10:00 p.m. and played a time-limited set.

I've noticed that Irving Plaza shows start/end late.  When I saw the ticket say 7:30 I thought thats when the show started, not doors.  Trope was terrible IMO.  Not surprised people went to buy merch/drinks (I noticed from my spot people leaving the concert hall of the venue to head downstairs).  I'm not sure what the point of them was on this tour.  I think it's a shame to have to bands showing off music skills and then have an opener play to a backing track and not even be interesting or fun.  Didn't fit at all.  Should have just given the time to Haken and made it a proper co-headline show.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2697 on: May 11, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
What's the merch like?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: May 11, 2022, 02:56:00 PM »
What's the merch like?

Didn't take a good look at their merch, maybe someone else did. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2699 on: May 11, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
Bumping up the thread since they are on tour with Haken.

Revisiting Iconoclast: what a great album! Very underrated imo. I'm currently revisiting it and even though it is heavy, you can still hear the keyboards.

I think it is great. My only problem is that it is a bit homogenic as an album, especially the 2 disc version, but every song on it's own is quality.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #2700 on: May 11, 2022, 03:24:50 PM »
Yeah the SX setlists are terrible.
They toured Australia for the first time ever a couple years back, I was expecting a nice selection from their back catalogue.
What we got was the entire Underworld album and a Led Zep cover, which was totally underwhelming.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2701 on: May 11, 2022, 05:14:46 PM »
What's the merch like?

There were T-shirts featuring individual album cover art on the front and the Symphony X logo above "25th Anniversary."  One T-shirt and a hoodie with all nine studio albums arranged in a three by three matrix on the front and a vertical timeline featuring the years of each albums release.  Underworld vinyl albums and tour posters signed by the band.  A silk screened Underworld flag.  Underworld CDs.  I may have missed some things.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2702 on: May 11, 2022, 05:23:58 PM »
I've seen comments on FB lately regarding the lackluster setlist of this tour.

Lackluster is generous when describing that setlist.

I was excited when they played Evolution (The Grand Design) and Sea of Lies, but when they kept going back to Underworld, it became clear that there weren't going to be many deeper cuts.  The last time I saw them on the Underworld tour Russell Allen said they would play The Odyssey, so I was pretty sure that the set would not have a lot of songs.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2703 on: May 12, 2022, 01:28:33 AM »
I also liked the more "tough guy" Russell of years past. The "Tom Jones" look, just doesn't do it for me at a metal show! ;)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2704 on: May 12, 2022, 03:54:25 AM »
Not a very special setlist for sure, but for me they kind of redeem that by playing The Odyssey. That's THE song for me. Sea of Lies and Evolution (The Grand Design) are also good older tracks. Still, if you ask me they should give Underworld a rest and focus on their classic period if they ever had one (which is, if you ask me, Divine Wings up and until The Odyssey).
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2705 on: May 12, 2022, 07:44:23 AM »
I was at the NYC show.  I'm a big Symphony X fan and always enjoy seeing them live; last night was no exception.  However, I agree with your comments.  Considering that this tour is billed as a 25th anniversary celebration and that the setlist was abbreviated, I was disappointed that they played four songs off of Underworld and, in so doing, did not have time for songs from the albums that were not covered in the show.  Additionally, I don't understand how or these bills are put together and why they had to have two bands play before Symphony X.  It's probably good for the venues.  It seemed like a lot of people were buying drinks and merchandise while Trope was playing.  As a result, Symphony X didn't take the stage until about 10:00 p.m. and played a time-limited set.

Package tours are pretty common.  I wasn't really interested in seeing Symphony X again because I'm kind of tired of the Underworld-heavy setlists, but in 2020, they were touring with Primal Fear and Firewind, both of whom I LOVE and had never seen before.  The openers were the draw for me, and I'd stick around for Symphony X.  I'm happy to have seen them in 2004, and even in a short 30-45 minute opening set, I got a couple of tracks from The Odyssey, one from V, one from Twilight and one from Divine Wings. 

I love Symphony X and have no complains other than them ignoring some of their older albums.  But they want to play the new stuff and I don't blame them.  So many other bands go that route and it is what it is.  But if you're going to do an anniversary tour for the band itself, break some of those older tunes out again!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2706 on: May 12, 2022, 08:14:03 AM »
What's the merch like?

There were T-shirts featuring individual album cover art on the front and the Symphony X logo above "25th Anniversary."  One T-shirt and a hoodie with all nine studio albums arranged in a three by three matrix on the front and a vertical timeline featuring the years of each albums release.  Underworld vinyl albums and tour posters signed by the band.  A silk screened Underworld flag.  Underworld CDs.  I may have missed some things.

Thanks for the merch info.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2707 on: May 12, 2022, 10:30:30 AM »
If you're going to do an anniversary tour for the band itself, break some of those older tunes out again!

At the Keswick show, it wasn't even brought up about being an anniversary tour. Just spoke on & on about covid :\

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2708 on: May 12, 2022, 12:43:28 PM »
If you're going to do an anniversary tour for the band itself, break some of those older tunes out again!

At the Keswick show, it wasn't even brought up about being an anniversary tour. Just spoke on & on about covid :\

Given that Russell bonded with Jon Schaffer on the 2011 Iced Earth/Sym. X co-headline tour, it's no surprise that he has some feelings about covid.   :lol

This is the tour poster...right there at the top!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: May 12, 2022, 01:00:45 PM »
Yes it's in the poster but I think the point was that it's not being acknowledged by the band during their set.  Come to think of it, I don't believe they acknowledged it either in NYC.  But yes, lots of covid talk. 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2710 on: May 12, 2022, 01:25:36 PM »
Yes it's in the poster but I think the point was that it's not being acknowledged by the band during their set.  Come to think of it, I don't believe they acknowledged it either in NYC.  But yes, lots of covid talk.

Thanks. I thought it was clear, but guess not :rollin

Liked your video from SX/Haken show :tup

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2711 on: May 12, 2022, 01:30:45 PM »
 :metal :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2712 on: May 12, 2022, 03:53:56 PM »
That label is the excuse for them to tour. That alone doesn't mean the band will go out of their way to acknowledge that in their setlist decisions.

I for one, have listened to their set and although it's the same, there are still songs I do enjoy in there and will enjoy seeing for the first time.

Although, I do wish they would've busted out some other songs rather than riding off their latest release.

I also, have this same setlist feeling about Haken. The one time I get to finally see them and they're playing a lackluster set. I will still enjoy the songs, although their past setlists I would've rather had, like the one they had for Vector tour. But their reasons I understand, because this is them finally touring for Virus.

But Symphony X is playing The Odyssey, so I'm happy about that. Although just one more older song would be nice instead of Serpents Kiss.

Seeing them in Denver, since they not coming to Albuquerque anymore. Oh well, Albuquerque gonna miss out on am awesome show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2713 on: May 12, 2022, 04:11:49 PM »
I know I’m in the minority but I wouldn’t care if Symphony X’s entire set was from Underworld- I love that album. The old neoclassical stuff is good and all but I can only take that in super small doses. That said, Paradise Lost and The Accolade are the two best songs they’ve ever written in my opinion.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2714 on: May 12, 2022, 05:04:35 PM »
I was disappointed that I couldn’t go see the NYC show, and now that I saw the setlist and that they closed with The Odyssey, which is my absolute favorite Symphony X song.

EDIT: seeing that they’re ending in NJ, I’ll try to make it out to that show.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2715 on: May 12, 2022, 06:42:51 PM »
That label is the excuse for them to tour. That alone doesn't mean the band will go out of their way to acknowledge that in their setlist decisions.

I for one, have listened to their set and although it's the same, there are still songs I do enjoy in there and will enjoy seeing for the first time.

Although, I do wish they would've busted out some other songs rather than riding off their latest release.

I also, have this same setlist feeling about Haken. The one time I get to finally see them and they're playing a lackluster set. I will still enjoy the songs, although their past setlists I would've rather had, like the one they had for Vector tour. But their reasons I understand, because this is them finally touring for Virus.

But Symphony X is playing The Odyssey, so I'm happy about that. Although just one more older song would be nice instead of Serpents Kiss.

Seeing them in Denver, since they not coming to Albuquerque anymore. Oh well, Albuquerque gonna miss out on am awesome show.

My first Symphony X show (or second) was at The Launch Pad in ABQ. Drove from El Paso, TX to see them. Devin Townsend opened for them. I wasn’t a fan of Devin during those days. He still had the skullet and I hared what he played that night. Symphony X had just released The Odyssey and they played the 2 hr set even though the total crowd was like 50 people. Drove back again for Gigantour in ABQ and saw them in the smaller stage, front row and it was a kick ass show…

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2716 on: May 13, 2022, 12:17:42 AM »

My first Symphony X show (or second) was at The Launch Pad in ABQ. Drove from El Paso, TX to see them. Devin Townsend opened for them. I wasn’t a fan of Devin during those days. He still had the skullet and I hared what he played that night. Symphony X had just released The Odyssey and they played the 2 hr set even though the total crowd was like 50 people. Drove back again for Gigantour in ABQ and saw them in the smaller stage, front row and it was a kick ass show…

That's amazing. I wish I was into the music then, but I was barely getting into that style of music when I was 14. During their set at Gigantour, me and cousin were waiting in our seats, watching them set up the main stage for Nevermore. Although, I did see some of their set while going to the bathroom. Of what I heard at Gigantour, it sounded amazing.

I did get down to the seats during Dream Theater's set and I still remember reaching the top of the grass when JM came out to open The Glass Prison.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2717 on: May 15, 2022, 06:50:25 PM »
I know I’m in the minority but I wouldn’t care if Symphony X’s entire set was from Underworld- I love that album. The old neoclassical stuff is good and all but I can only take that in super small doses. That said, Paradise Lost and The Accolade are the two best songs they’ve ever written in my opinion.

I really like Underworld too.  The last time I saw them before this tour, they played every song on the album and I enjoyed it.  I also enjoyed the NYC show on May 10, but I was not what I was expecting.  I thought it would be a career-spanning show.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2718 on: May 15, 2022, 07:09:51 PM »

Just curious what you don’t like about the classic material? I mean it has much stronger melodies, etc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2719 on: May 15, 2022, 10:05:45 PM »
I never really clicked with the pre-V material, by and large, but wouldn't mind it live.  That said, it is hard for me to fathom why any fan of the band would be upset about a set dominated by Underworld and including The Odyssey.  They have some really good albums, but they all pale in comparison to Underworld.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2720 on: May 15, 2022, 10:27:29 PM »
The band was ON FIRE in Toronto tonight. I managed to get pictures with Lepond, Jason and Romeo.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2721 on: May 15, 2022, 11:41:46 PM »
I never really clicked with the pre-V material, by and large, but wouldn't mind it live.  That said, it is hard for me to fathom why any fan of the band would be upset about a set dominated by Underworld and including The Odyssey.  They have some really good albums, but they all pale in comparison to Underworld.

I think a lot of fans would disagree that Underworld is their best album.  For me, I think it's a really good album but I prefer others.  But the problem with that set isn't that it's Underworld heavy.  (And to Volante99 - if they played all of Underworld on the Underworld tour, I might not have preferred it, but no argument from me either).  It's that their setlists are always (im-andmanyotherfans-o) crappy.  They always play the same stuff.  If one has never seen SX before, then it's different.  But (some) people are tired of Serpent's Kiss and Set the World on Fire etc over and over and over again.  And even Evolution and Sea of Lies - when they were playing songs from those albums, those are the songs they always played.  There are lots of songs from albums old and new that people would love to hear.  And then to call this an anniversary tour... Imagine that DT never played anything from their old albums besides Pull Me Under and 6:00, then they stopped playing those for a while, then brought them back for an anniversary tour instead of one of the many other songs people have been wanting to hear. Imagine they played In Constant Motion at every show and yep, anniversary tour, surprise, here it is again. 

We argue here about DT not changing the setlist on the same tour like they used to, but most agree that they at least do a good job mixing it up from one tour to the next.  Symphony X doesn't come anywhere close to doing that.  Plus they do polls of what they should play and then ignore the results..   

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2722 on: May 16, 2022, 05:30:55 AM »

I think a lot of fans would disagree that Underworld is their best album.  For me, I think it's a really good album but I prefer others.  But the problem with that set isn't that it's Underworld heavy.  (And to Volante99 - if they played all of Underworld on the Underworld tour, I might not have preferred it, but no argument from me either).  It's that their setlists are always (im-andmanyotherfans-o) crappy.  They always play the same stuff.  If one has never seen SX before, then it's different.  But (some) people are tired of Serpent's Kiss and Set the World on Fire etc over and over and over again.  And even Evolution and Sea of Lies - when they were playing songs from those albums, those are the songs they always played.  There are lots of songs from albums old and new that people would love to hear.  And then to call this an anniversary tour... Imagine that DT never played anything from their old albums besides Pull Me Under and 6:00, then they stopped playing those for a while, then brought them back for an anniversary tour instead of one of the many other songs people have been wanting to hear. Imagine they played In Constant Motion at every show and yep, anniversary tour, surprise, here it is again. 

We argue here about DT not changing the setlist on the same tour like they used to, but most agree that they at least do a good job mixing it up from one tour to the next.  Symphony X doesn't come anywhere close to doing that.  Plus they do polls of what they should play and then ignore the results..

Agreed with all of this.  I love Underworld and The Odyssey, but advertising it as an anniversary show and playing the same group of songs that have been played since 2015 is a bit lazy. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: May 16, 2022, 09:14:44 AM »
Even as someone who saw them for the first time, knowing how they do their set lists now, it's kind of a joke  :lol  I'd be pretty pissed if I got the same set list as usual for an advertised anniversary tour. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2724 on: May 16, 2022, 10:15:05 AM »
I'll be seeing them in Seattle soon and I'll be quite happy with the setlist. I love Underworld and The Odyssey so that helps.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2725 on: May 17, 2022, 04:37:49 AM »
I am completely fine with the setlist. Perhaps branding it as the anniversary tour was a mistake, but the setlist itself looks good to me. The Oddysey is one of the best prog metal tracks out there and the other songs have a good amount of variation and have Russel sing in different modes.

The time I saw them was dissapointing to me (Iconoclast tour) because it was pretty much just full force metal with the exception of When All is Lost. All great metal and performed well, but the lack of variation/contrast and utilization of Russel's singing hurt the experience.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2726 on: May 18, 2022, 07:43:12 AM »
Maybe a dumb question, but what is this the 25th anniversary of?

I can't see anything monumental that happened in 1997, but I feel dumb since I'm obviously missing something?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: May 18, 2022, 08:32:21 AM »

I can't see anything monumental that happened in 1997, but I feel dumb since I'm obviously missing something?

Was it actually in 95?  For example, the Aerosmith concert this fall is their 50th anniversary show but it's really 52 because it was originally scheduled for 2020. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2728 on: May 18, 2022, 08:33:53 AM »

The 25th Anniversary tour was supposed to be in 2020, but COVID happened.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2729 on: May 18, 2022, 08:34:58 AM »
Didn't they release the debut album in 1994? I guess it's because Russell joined in 1995 then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.