Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 315917 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2660 on: October 12, 2021, 05:54:20 PM »
I much prefer the style of The Divine Wings of Traggedy, Twilight in Olympus, & V: The New Mythology Suite.

:tup :tup :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2661 on: October 12, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »
Announced a tour.
http://www.symphonyx.com/site/

Yup.  As I posted in the Haken thread, this may finally be my chance to cross Symphony X off my concert bucket list.  Hope it works out.  Tickets look reasonable, so hopefully the logistics work out.  This will be one of the few concerts I intentionally arrive late to miss the opening act, but the headliner is worth the price.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2662 on: October 12, 2021, 07:17:08 PM »
I am looking forwards to finally seeing Symphony X. Wish they could've been able to book the venue here again, but who knows the reasons, likely logistics issues, but the date they were supposed to play here, they're playing in Mesa instead.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2663 on: October 12, 2021, 08:13:52 PM »
So glad they're playing the Showbox in Seattle. One of my favorite venues and that's where they played for the Underworld tour. I actually met Mike Lepond while Overkill was playing, very nice guy! 
Also a member of this forum was nice enough to buy me a cheeseburger, fries, and beer before the show. 🤘
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:11:15 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2664 on: October 13, 2021, 01:11:14 PM »
I am excited to see them! But I am going to wait to get my tickets as I don't want anything to complicate the rescheduled DT shows.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2665 on: October 15, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »
Scored my tickets for May. Whole family is going and all pumped. FINALLY going to see Russell Allen sing live. He never does the west coast TSO tour. And the last time I had a shot at seeing Symphony-X, they dropped off the Queensryche tour in 2004 before getting to Vegas.

Can't wait. And while I'm not overly familiar with Haken, their reputation is stellar, and I know the singer did that Shattered Fortress tour with Portnoy, so I know it'll be a great vocal performance. Should be a great night.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2666 on: October 15, 2021, 12:31:39 PM »
I hope they take that package to europe.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2667 on: October 15, 2021, 01:32:54 PM »
I was totally jacked (and had a ticket) to see them when it was with Firewind and Primal Fear as support.  This, not too excited about - plus it's about 2.5 hours from where I currently live.  Good news is, they're playing on a Sunday here, so this is a coin toss at the moment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2668 on: October 15, 2021, 02:55:39 PM »
Got my ticket for the Keswick this morning! SX & Haken! Can't get much better package than that :metal

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2669 on: October 16, 2021, 06:55:06 AM »
I was totally jacked (and had a ticket) to see them when it was with Firewind and Primal Fear as support.  This, not too excited about - plus it's about 2.5 hours from where I currently live.  Good news is, they're playing on a Sunday here, so this is a coin toss at the moment.

Same for me.  The Chicago show date and location doesn't work for me.

It was a stronger package with Primal Fear and Firewind.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2670 on: October 16, 2021, 01:45:39 PM »
They have a tour set up but are they putting out an new album? I hope so.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2671 on: October 16, 2021, 06:54:41 PM »
Not that I know of.  I haven't heard anything about SX making a new album, unless they are keeping it on the down low.  This last couple of years could have been a great opportunity to do so.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2672 on: October 16, 2021, 07:19:59 PM »
Not that I know of.  I haven't heard anything about SX making a new album, unless they are keeping it on the down low.  This last couple of years could have been a great opportunity to do so.

Ahh that sucks.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2673 on: October 18, 2021, 04:04:39 AM »
News on Michael Romeo's new album:

InsideOutMusic is pleased to announce the signing of legendary Symphony X guitarist Michael Romeo , for the release of his upcoming album ‘War of the Worlds, Part II’.  The follow up to his 2018 album ‘War of the Worlds, Part 1’, will be released on Feb 4th, 2022.
For WOTW2, Romeo welcomed a couple of returning players – drummer John Macaluso and bassist John “JD” DeServio – but the album marks the first time he worked with Croatian singer Dino Jelusick. “I go way back with John and JD, so they were the obvious choices, but this time I wanted to try something different with the vocals”, Romeo says. “Dino came highly recommended, and he totally nailed it! He really brought an exciting element to the music.”
The new album proves again, that Michael Romeo is one of the most renowned songwriters in progressive metal. His new studio effort is a mind-blowing return that till take every progressive metal enthusiast on a journey!
Get a taste of the new album here: https://youtu.be/sUbAtYWReig
#MICHAELROMEO #SYMPHONYX #PROG #METAL #DINOJELUSIC #JOHNDESERVIO #JOHNMACALUSO

Snippet sounds exactly how you'd think it would sound. But that chorus is great.

I wonder why he can't release these compositions with his main band. He was always the main composer of the band anyway.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: October 18, 2021, 04:44:19 AM »
That's very cool!  Color me excited.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2675 on: October 18, 2021, 04:56:47 AM »
I thought the first album was pretty good, but after a few spins from me, I've had no urge to play it again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: October 18, 2021, 05:27:03 AM »
I thought the first album was pretty good, but after a few spins from me, I've had no urge to play it again.

I go back to it every so often.  It's a banger, even though a little generic

Offline krands85

« Reply #2677 on: October 18, 2021, 07:25:09 AM »
Nice!. Been a long time coming, I'm sure he said part 2 was almost finished around the time part 1 came out.

Musically, I preferred part 1 to Underworld I think.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2678 on: October 18, 2021, 09:11:28 AM »
VERY excited for this, but didn't Symphony X just announce a tour? The timing of this announcement and the release seems off...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2679 on: October 18, 2021, 09:44:24 AM »
VERY excited for this, but didn't Symphony X just announce a tour? The timing of this announcement and the release seems off...

Yes they did. The foundation of the tour is their 20th anniversary, which was supposed to happen last year. Since it's been postponed, they finally recognized that and announced the new dates.

With how the music business works by things being planned in advance, Michael Romeo likely already had planned to release a new album, and get that process started after they completed their 20th anniversary tour, which would coincide with this announcement, as those legalities with being signed were squared away.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2680 on: October 18, 2021, 11:27:15 AM »

Agreed. I would have preferred the other package for sure. But since my wife and I haven't seen Symphony-X before, it was a no-brainer that we were going regardless. Haken will be interesting. I won't miss their set. Very interested in seeing how they perform live.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Grappler

« Reply #2681 on: October 18, 2021, 11:34:06 AM »

Agreed. I would have preferred the other package for sure. But since my wife and I haven't seen Symphony-X before, it was a no-brainer that we were going regardless. Haken will be interesting. I won't miss their set. Very interested in seeing how they perform live.

I'd love to go - I had tickets for the 2020 tour before COVID screwed it all up.   I did see them in 2004 when they did the short run with Queensryche, so I can say that I've seen them, and they played 2-3 songs from The Odyssey, one from V, one from Twilight and one from Divine Wings.

I'd hope that they break out more older songs since this is their 20th anniversary tour.  The Underworld set was most of Underworld and maybe a song or two from Paradise Lsot, and one, single older song.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2682 on: October 22, 2021, 06:41:14 AM »
Super excited for his new album. I listen to War of the Worlds pt1 a lot. I loved the singer on pt1, but the snippets sound good here as well, so don't mind the change.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2683 on: October 22, 2021, 07:35:53 AM »

I think having only Haken and Symphony X is way better. I don't mind Primal Fear and Firewind, but three shows in a row with that intensity...by the time Symphony X hit the stage, I'd be exhausted.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2684 on: November 04, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »
I just find it baffling that a band like Symphony X (as good as they are) is going on tour after all this time with no recently released material.  It's a shame they haven't been able to market themselves in a more timely manner for whatever reasons.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2685 on: November 05, 2021, 03:03:57 PM »
Super excited for his new album. I listen to War of the Worlds pt1 a lot. I loved the singer on pt1, but the snippets sound good here as well, so don't mind the change.
The singer on pt1 is amazing!   Quite honestly, kind of sad to see him go...   I listened to the snippets on pt2 and I prefer the original singer based on what I heard.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2686 on: May 11, 2022, 10:06:00 AM »
Bumping up the thread since they are on tour with Haken.

Revisiting Iconoclast: what a great album! Very underrated imo. I'm currently revisiting it and even though it is heavy, you can still hear the keyboards.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2687 on: May 11, 2022, 10:24:25 AM »
Revisiting Iconoclast: what a great album! Very underrated imo. I'm currently revisiting it and even though it is heavy, you can still hear the keyboards.

I haven't listened to SX in a long long time, but when I do listen to them, it's mostly Paradise Lost, Iconoclast and The Odyssey (the epic) :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Grappler

« Reply #2688 on: May 11, 2022, 10:40:31 AM »
I saw the setlist to the opening night and it seemed really underwhelming for a 25th Anniversary tour.  They touched on a couple of the older records, but it's still heavy on Underworld and featured a big, epic song, which takes up the same space as 2-4 additional songs in the set that could have been used to balance things out. 

I had a ticket for the original tour in 2020, but decided against going this time (since the openers are different and that was the primary draw for me that year).  I don't feel like I'm missing out based on their set.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2689 on: May 11, 2022, 10:47:18 AM »
I thought they were pretty good last night.  I was never a big fan (I went for Haken) but they may have won me over as a band I should check further out.  The guitaring was really awesome.  I thought the vocals were really good too.  The covid stuff he was talking about in between songs felt like a bit too much, probably my only real complaint.  I've seen some people on social media complain about the set, as someone who never saw them, I can't complain but it seems like those complaints are legit.  I did have to leave right before they ended the Odyssey though as it was approaching 11:30pm. 

Here's my recording: Symphony X - Run With The Devil LIVE @ Irving Plaza New York City NY 5/10/2022

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2690 on: May 11, 2022, 10:57:38 AM »
I'm excited for the show in Toronto on Sunday, but also kind of underwhelmed by the setlist.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2691 on: May 11, 2022, 11:26:01 AM »
I've seen comments on FB lately regarding the lackluster setlist of this tour.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2692 on: May 11, 2022, 02:31:12 PM »
I saw the setlist to the opening night and it seemed really underwhelming for a 25th Anniversary tour.  They touched on a couple of the older records, but it's still heavy on Underworld and featured a big, epic song, which takes up the same space as 2-4 additional songs in the set that could have been used to balance things out. 

I had a ticket for the original tour in 2020, but decided against going this time (since the openers are different and that was the primary draw for me that year).  I don't feel like I'm missing out based on their set.

I was at the NYC show.  I'm a big Symphony X fan and always enjoy seeing them live; last night was no exception.  However, I agree with your comments.  Considering that this tour is billed as a 25th anniversary celebration and that the setlist was abbreviated, I was disappointed that they played four songs off of Underworld and, in so doing, did not have time for songs from the albums that were not covered in the show.  Additionally, I don't understand how or these bills are put together and why they had to have two bands play before Symphony X.  It's probably good for the venues.  It seemed like a lot of people were buying drinks and merchandise while Trope was playing.  As a result, Symphony X didn't take the stage until about 10:00 p.m. and played a time-limited set.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2693 on: May 11, 2022, 02:32:46 PM »
Bumping up the thread since they are on tour with Haken.

Agree. Very enjoyable and under-rated album.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2694 on: May 11, 2022, 02:33:55 PM »
I thought they were pretty good last night.  I was never a big fan (I went for Haken) but they may have won me over as a band I should check further out.  The guitaring was really awesome.  I thought the vocals were really good too.  The covid stuff he was talking about in between songs felt like a bit too much, probably my only real complaint.  I've seen some people on social media complain about the set, as someone who never saw them, I can't complain but it seems like those complaints are legit.  I did have to leave right before they ended the Odyssey though as it was approaching 11:30pm. 

Here's my recording: Symphony X - Run With The Devil LIVE @ Irving Plaza New York City NY 5/10/2022

Were you also parked in the garage on 15th Street that closed at 11:30 p.m.?