Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316397 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2625 on: February 17, 2021, 05:36:05 AM »
I really like Paradise Lost as well, despite preferring the vocal style on earlier albums. It was my first new album since becoming a fan of the band, so maybe that has a bit of an influence, but I love a lot of the tracks and it's probably second only to TDWOT for me.

I found Underworld pretty consistent, but I feel like it lacked the highs of previous albums - even Iconoclast had its title track, The End of Innocence and When All is Lost. Nothing from Underworld would be among my favourite SX songs. Been a while since I listened to it as well though, need to check it out again soon.

I'm totally fine with the music they're making right now (except they could make it a little more often)
Exactly!  The bass player (Mike Lepond) has put out three killer solo albums since Underworld. That's why I can't figure out why SX hasn't even put out one album since then.  Perhaps something to do with the other band members circumstances?  I know Michael Romeo helped Lepond produce his three Silent Assassins albums.

Lepond has a MILLION things: DeadRisen, Silent Assassins, Ross the Boss Band and a few other projects. As far as I know, the material of Romeo's solo album was supposed to be a new Symphony X album, but it didn't happen because of the Adrenaline Mob accident. He's got part 2 almost done, but whether he focuses on it or on a new Symphony X album, is anyone's guess right now. I think the ones who work at a slower pace in the band are Romeo and Pinella. But they respect each other's paces, and Romeo even helped out Silent Assassins and Pinella's solo album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2626 on: February 17, 2021, 05:53:19 AM »
Are the guys from SX doing their music for a living or do they have other jobs (like Alan Morse from Spock's Beard)?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2627 on: February 17, 2021, 01:27:36 PM »
Pretty sure Russell Allen is a musician and only a musician (vocalist) full-time.  He does studio sessions and works with acts like the Trans Siberian Orchestra and Ayreon

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2628 on: February 17, 2021, 09:31:27 PM »
A new Star One is in the works. Pretty sure he's involved.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2629 on: February 17, 2021, 09:38:16 PM »
A new Star One is in the works. Pretty sure he's involved.

I'm not so sure actually. After Russell has last-minute cancelled his appearance on Ayreon Universe shows, there's no guarantee Arjen will continue working with him.

We'll see, I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2630 on: February 18, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »
The fact that Arjen is abandoning the very special chemistry that came from Floor/Dan/Damian/Russell as THE vocalists for the first two Star One albums, and being somewhat aloof and coy about the multi-vocalist approach this time around ... well, I'll bet next week's paycheque that Russell is NOT on the upcoming Star One album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2631 on: February 21, 2021, 10:57:33 PM »
Listening to Jason's 3 Rules album right now. Man, this smokes! Loving it.

As for Russ, he seemed to kind of drop off the face of the earth after the accident. I only know of 1 album he was on since then and it was the Allen/Olzon thing. I know he also suffered an injury during the last TSO tour rehearsals. I've wondered if the AMob accident scarred him mentally in a way that he hasn't, or maybe never will recover from. I just don't see much out there from him. I could also be totally wrong. Just has been on my mind.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2632 on: February 22, 2021, 04:31:53 AM »

As for Russ, he seemed to kind of drop off the face of the earth after the accident. I only know of 1 album he was on since then and it was the Allen/Olzon thing. I know he also suffered an injury during the last TSO tour rehearsals. I've wondered if the AMob accident scarred him mentally in a way that he hasn't, or maybe never will recover from. I just don't see much out there from him. I could also be totally wrong. Just has been on my mind.

Russell did all vocals on the new Joel Hoekstra album, and it's pure 80's hard rock. Amazing album, man. Check out this song: https://youtu.be/4twyJ-VON5k

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2633 on: February 22, 2021, 10:54:01 AM »

Russell did all vocals on the new Joel Hoekstra album, and it's pure 80's hard rock. Amazing album, man. Check out this song: https://youtu.be/4twyJ-VON5k

Thanks, I will. I went down a bit of a Russ rabbit hole after my post and saw that he and Jeff Scott Soto split vocals on Joel's 2015 album and was planning on looking into that as well.

EDIT: Picked up both Hoekstra albums and the Romeo album today. No idea when I will get any of this stuff. First Hoekstra album is coming from Laser CD as they were the only one that had it in stock. Second Hoekstra album is coming from Amazon but they don't have it in stock right now. Romeo is coming from Amazon, but not until next week, I guess. Amazon Prime is somehow not 2 day shipping, but 1 week plus now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:44:22 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2634 on: February 25, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
Listening to the Romeo album now. I swear he is trying to score a TOS Star Trek movie. Pretty sure I heard the scary theme from Wrath Of Khan when he is about to detonate the Genesis device.  :lol

Other than that, I kind of wonder why he continues with SymX. He got a for hire singer and drummer and made a SymX album. Not like name recognition is huge or that he really lets anyone else write in the band anymore. It's a good album.

I have the first Hoekstra album here too and the second one is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2635 on: February 26, 2021, 03:57:55 AM »
The problem with this Romeo album is that he doesn't want to do live shows with the orchestrations piped in...he would like to do "the real thing", playing with an orchestra which is not financially viable. It's a problem he creates for himself.

The second Hoekstra album SMOKES the first one.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2636 on: February 26, 2021, 05:13:33 AM »

Awesome, didn't know about that one.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2637 on: April 24, 2021, 12:27:07 AM »
The band began writing Underworld on September 8, 2014, & the album was released on July 24, 2015.  That's 319 days. If writing begins in a month from now, that's 350 days, so we should expect the album on April 24, 2021.

Sorry guys. I guess not. :emo:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2638 on: April 24, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »
Listening to the Romeo album now. I swear he is trying to score a TOS Star Trek movie. Pretty sure I heard the scary theme from Wrath Of Khan when he is about to detonate the Genesis device.  :lol

Do you mean STAR WARS?  I hear the Star Wars theme all over this album during the musical interludes.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2639 on: September 17, 2021, 01:49:50 PM »
Wow I kind of missed how awesome When All Is Gone is. Kinda fell off their new style so haven’t paid much attention to those last 3 albums but yeah that’s a great song and the kind that is SORELY missed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: September 17, 2021, 02:29:36 PM »
Wow I kind of missed how awesome When All Is Gone is. Kinda fell off their new style so haven’t paid much attention to those last 3 albums but yeah that’s a great song and the kind that is SORELY missed.

Damn, saw the thread bump and got excited.

Nevertheless, yes, it's a gem.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2641 on: September 17, 2021, 02:44:01 PM »

Damn, saw the thread bump and got excited.

Nevertheless, yes, it's a gem.

Ditto.  I haven't gone to Iconoclast in quite some time, but that is the one (and only) 5* song on that album (imo)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2642 on: September 17, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »
I don't think I've listened to it since it came out. And I don't remember having any real issues with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2643 on: September 17, 2021, 02:54:11 PM »
Got quite a few spins from me.  I really liked the overall heaviness of it.

If I pick an album to go back to though, it's always Underworld.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2644 on: September 17, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »

Underworld or V for me. Love the heavyness of Underworld but love the melodic aspect of V.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: September 17, 2021, 07:26:07 PM »

Underworld or V for me. Love the heavyness of Underworld but love the melodic aspect of V.

Underworld and Odyssey. V and TIO after that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: September 17, 2021, 07:32:50 PM »
Underworld and Odyssey for me too.  2 clear cut winners.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2647 on: September 17, 2021, 09:24:36 PM »
Over the years, The Damnation Game became my default SX album

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2648 on: September 17, 2021, 09:56:18 PM »

:lol When All Is Lost came up on my Stratovarius Radio Playlist on Spotify and it is a great song. It has that older Symphony X sound blended nicely with the newer heavier sound. Russel as well used both of these styles well too.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2649 on: September 18, 2021, 12:45:01 AM »
If I were to pick 2 albums , Underworld and Divine Wings.  I never really bonded with Odyssey and V like most seem to....I would probably take Twilight In Olympus and Paradise Lost over those.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2650 on: September 18, 2021, 12:56:48 AM »
Divine Wings & Paradise Lost for me, though it's funny how two albums that reference each other so much are my two favourites. :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: September 18, 2021, 01:07:19 AM »
Divine Wings and V for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2652 on: September 18, 2021, 01:19:07 AM »
Divine Wings and V for me.
and me. I think Underworld is excellent though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2653 on: September 18, 2021, 04:30:54 AM »
If I were to pick 2 albums , Underworld and Divine Wings.  I never really bonded with Odyssey and V like most seem to....I would probably take Twilight In Olympus and Paradise Lost over those.

Yeah, I picked Odyssey but with you on V.  Could never quite connect with that one.

Paradise Lost would be in my top 3.  Actually I may reach for that before Odyssey come to think of it.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2654 on: September 18, 2021, 08:43:26 AM »
Divine Wings & Paradise Lost for me, though it's funny how two albums that reference each other so much are my two favourites. :justjen
Those are my 2 as well.  :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2655 on: September 18, 2021, 09:14:11 AM »
Divine Wings and V. V is my favorite SymX album. The Odyssey’s epic title track is by far their best song IMO.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2656 on: September 18, 2021, 11:05:11 AM »
I much prefer the style of The Divine Wings of Traggedy, Twilight in Olympus, & V: The New Mythology Suite.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2657 on: September 18, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »
Divine is my easy #1. Second block would have V, Twilight in Olympus and Damnation Game. I do enjoy Odyssey, Paradise Lost and Iconoclast, but not as much...and I think Underworld was their best since V. Pleasant surprise for me when it came out.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2658 on: September 18, 2021, 11:52:20 AM »
Divine is my easy #1. Second block would have V, Twilight in Olympus and Damnation Game. I do enjoy Odyssey, Paradise Lost and Iconoclast, but not as much...and I think Underworld was their best since V. Pleasant surprise for me when it came out.

Yeah mang. Pretty much how I look at it. I'm not sure if I like Underworld more than Odyssey though.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2659 on: October 12, 2021, 05:51:26 PM »