Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316970 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2555 on: May 09, 2020, 04:37:19 AM »
It's just an estimation, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't come out in the (northern hemisphere) Spring or Summer 2021. :lol

I was only joking lol.  Sooner the better. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2556 on: May 09, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2557 on: October 11, 2020, 10:19:10 AM »
*Sry no news!*

Blasted some Iconoclast today.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2558 on: October 11, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »
I have news. Romeo's sequel to War of the Worlds is in advanced stages of production.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2559 on: October 11, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
I have news. Romeo's sequel to War of the Worlds is in advanced stages of production.

nice!  really enjoyed the first one.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2560 on: October 11, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »

More excited for this than new Symph X. Woo!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2561 on: October 11, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »
Was actually listening to the first one today, something I still do regularly. Excellent album. Looking forward to part 2.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2562 on: October 11, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »

Didn't he say Pt. 2 was in the "final stages of production" when the first one came out? :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2563 on: October 12, 2020, 05:19:08 AM »

No, he said "80% of it is already written". I know for a fact that the drums were recorded in Italy in March - that's where John Macaluso lives - and that the mixing is almost finished.

Didn't he say Pt. 2 was in the "final stages of production" when the first one came out? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2564 on: October 12, 2020, 03:49:54 PM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2565 on: October 12, 2020, 03:56:44 PM »
that statement can mean a lot of different things.  writing, recording, post-production, etc
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2566 on: October 13, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »
So what's your favourite Russell SX song?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2567 on: October 13, 2020, 02:12:17 PM »
“Fallen” has always been my favourite SX song

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2568 on: October 13, 2020, 02:50:31 PM »

Isn't this a redundant question?  Would anyone's fave S-X song be from the debut?

The Odyssey is my fave.  As for a sub 10-minute song, I'll go with Without You
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: October 13, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »

I don't know.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2570 on: October 13, 2020, 03:16:06 PM »
“Fallen” has always been my favourite SX song
Good one.  :tup

Isn't this a redundant question?  Would anyone's fave S-X song be from the debut?

The Odyssey is my fave.  As for a sub 10-minute song, I'll go with Without You
Well I didn't think that deep about the question.  :lol He's great on The Odessey, I kind of hate the drum production but that's another topic.

I don't know.
I'm not sure either.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2571 on: October 14, 2020, 01:56:07 PM »

Same.  I really enjoy everything Symphony X did up to and including The Oddysey but they kind of lost me after that.  Especially Russell Allen who doesn't really sing anymore, he just kind of screams everything.  Such a waste of a good voice.  I kind of think he's a dick after what he did to Arjen too. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2572 on: October 14, 2020, 05:14:56 PM »
I think he lost the plot with Paradise Lost and Iconoclast (some good/great tunes; mostly mediocre though). Underworld brought them/him back for me.

And yeah... wasn’t too pleased about bailing on Ayreon Universe. Especially because adter the accident he wouldn’t have been there anyway.  But on behaviour and principle, it was a douche move.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2573 on: October 15, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »
You make a commitment like that you stick to it, otherwise in my mind you're just an asshole.   

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2574 on: October 15, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
What happened between Russ and Arjen?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2575 on: October 15, 2020, 03:06:36 PM »

Russel was scheduled to play at one of Ayreon's shows, having commited to it.
He bailed out to go on tour with Adrenaline Mob.

Arjen was obviously pissed off about it and stated that he will work with other singers in the future so don't expect Russel on any Ayreon album anytime soon.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2576 on: October 15, 2020, 10:47:58 PM »

Russel was scheduled to play at one of Ayreon's shows, having commited to it.
He bailed out to go on tour with Adrenaline Mob.

Arjen was obviously pissed off about it and stated that he will work with other singers in the future so don't expect Russel on any Ayreon album anytime soon.

I understand why he did it, but it definitely wasn't right if he had already committed to do those shows. The worst part is that he chose AMOB instead (and we all know how that turned out).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2577 on: October 16, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2578 on: October 16, 2020, 08:10:36 PM »
Jason Rullo - Symphony X Drummer - Food Trucker With Heart

How about that, had no idea.  :tup

:omg: :omg:

What?!!  THIS WHOLE TIME I COULD'VE BEEN EATING HIS AMAZING FOOD.

I wonder if he's still here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2579 on: October 17, 2020, 04:47:06 AM »
He seems like a very likeable guy  :tup

I'd love to hear a new Symphony X album, I'm not so excited to hear that the new Romeo album will be coming out before that. Underworld is a great album and it felt like the band has finally found their style. Those straight, yet complex songs a la Threshold (with crazier guitar parts) suit the band very well in my opinion.

And I don't agree about Russell. He does NOT only shout on the last few albums. His stylistic range is insane, not only on albums like Divine Wings or V.
any rock can be made to roll

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2580 on: October 17, 2020, 05:21:14 AM »

Especially Russell Allen who doesn't really sing anymore, he just kind of screams everything.  Such a waste of a good voice.  I kind of think he's a dick after what he did to Arjen too.
I agree that his voice in SX has gotten more raspy and powerful over the years but I wouldn't call it screamin'. I love his more clean singing though.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2581 on: October 17, 2020, 05:25:14 AM »
I'd say he simply followed the music style. The music had become heavier and less varied, and so his singing follows suit and becomes more aggressive and less melodic. With more variety on the older albums, he had more chances to showcase his immense talent. Not so much on an album like Iconoclast which is balls to walls chugga chugga riffy riffy growl grunt kill death blood fire metal, with just the mandatory ballad at the end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2582 on: October 17, 2020, 05:27:31 AM »
Yea that's probably it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2583 on: October 17, 2020, 05:37:26 AM »
I'd say he simply followed the music style. The music had become heavier and less varied, and so his singing follows suit and becomes more aggressive and less melodic. With more variety on the older albums, he had more chances to showcase his immense talent. Not so much on an album like Iconoclast which is balls to walls chugga chugga riffy riffy growl grunt kill death blood fire metal, with just the mandatory ballad at the end.

Yeah, but I have to admit that that "mandatory ballad" is one the band's best songs, as well as one of Russel's best performances. ;)

Aside from that, Paradise Lost, Eve Of Seduction, The Sacrifice, Without You, In My Darkest Hour, & Legend are other great examples of Russel not having to do the whole gravelly toughguy screams to show what he can do. I agree that he's done it far more in the last few albums (especially Iconoclast) but it's far from being the only thing he does. That said, even when he does do it, it's not a moodkiller for me or anything.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2584 on: October 17, 2020, 06:40:10 AM »

I don't agree with this 100%, but I had to laugh so much at it  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2585 on: October 17, 2020, 06:44:36 AM »
Nice to know  :biggrin:

Yeah, but I have to admit that that "mandatory ballad" is one the band's best songs, as well as one of Russel's best performances. ;)

Oh yeah, I meant mandatory as in "hey guys, I guess we have to put at least a ballad on this album", not that the outcome is bad. I actually like the song.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2586 on: October 17, 2020, 07:31:04 AM »
I actually think Iconoclast has absolutely no ballads. When All Is Lost seems more like an "epic" than a "ballad" to me despite some quieter moments, and the song "at the end" you guys are talking about is Reign In Madness, which is fuckin brutal at times  :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2587 on: October 17, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »
I've always maintained an interest in Symphony X, but they were pretty much untouchable in my book when I got into them around the time of V: The New Mythology Suite. I'm a huge fan of the more honest sounding productions of Divine Wings through The Odyssey.

From Paradise Lost onwards they got more metal, less prog and the production became a bit.. generic for my tastes. That said, 'When All is Lost' is absolutely great and Underworld was a step in the right direction for me. I actually reviewed the album when it came out in 2015. It's at the bottom of this page: https://www.dprp.net/reviews/2015-070

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2588 on: October 18, 2020, 10:35:00 AM »
I fell off the Symphony X bandwagon with Paradise Lost, they seemed to lose something with that album and I wasn't big on Iconoclast aside from the first song. Not that I thought any of it was bad, but I came to listen to Symphony X because they had that prog metal style mixed with a sort of Dio sound, and a big symphonic landscape. If I want to listen to the type of music found on most of PL and IC, there are plenty of other bands I can listen to. I thought the last album Underworld was better, need to give that one a re-listen one of these days. A lack of new releases and a sporadic release schedule since 2002, which is almost 20 years ago now, and not being pleased with most of their material since, hasn't helped in making me more than a semi-casual fan.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2589 on: December 13, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »
New Jason Rullo project: https://youtu.be/STFtuBEgjIs