Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316678 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2520 on: December 21, 2019, 08:21:46 PM »
Underworld is not only SX’s best album it’s one of the best metal albums of the past ten years.

I will never forgive myself for missing that tour, especially since they RARELY come touring in my neck of the woods.

I saw them on this tour with Overkill. Overkill opened and the place was packed. But when Symphony X came on the place emptied out; I’m guessing maybe 50-75 people remained

But Symphony X still put on a great show  :metal

I saw that tour as well.  S-X was the opener, and the place was about 1/2 full.  For Overkill (which I had no interest in), it was packed, and I bailed after about 1.5 songs.  Worked out just fine for me, as it was at a venue about 90 minutes from home, and on a Sunday night.  I was home before 11.   :D

Just bought my ticket.  There's some assigned seating at this venue, and that's sold out already.  Figured I should play it safe and get my tic.

That's interesting. Where did you two see this tour? Overkill and Symphony X is an odd mix. I wonder how it was determined that Overkill should open. They seem like the more popular band. They've been around longer than Symphony X, have more albums, and tour a lot more.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2521 on: December 21, 2019, 09:12:56 PM »
So, it's been 2 days & no "big news" has been announced on any of their socials. It must have just been some sort of error. Sorry y'all. :emo:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2522 on: December 21, 2019, 10:10:57 PM »
my guess is a timing issue between the spotify update and the tour announcement.  You said it was just created, I wonder if there are some extra hoops a band has to jump through to get a verified account and it just didn't happen in time.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: December 22, 2019, 12:21:46 AM »
Underworld is not only SX’s best album it’s one of the best metal albums of the past ten years.

I will never forgive myself for missing that tour, especially since they RARELY come touring in my neck of the woods.

I saw them on this tour with Overkill. Overkill opened and the place was packed. But when Symphony X came on the place emptied out; I’m guessing maybe 50-75 people remained

But Symphony X still put on a great show  :metal

I saw that tour as well.  S-X was the opener, and the place was about 1/2 full.  For Overkill (which I had no interest in), it was packed, and I bailed after about 1.5 songs.  Worked out just fine for me, as it was at a venue about 90 minutes from home, and on a Sunday night.  I was home before 11.   :D

Just bought my ticket.  There's some assigned seating at this venue, and that's sold out already.  Figured I should play it safe and get my tic.

That's interesting. Where did you two see this tour? Overkill and Symphony X is an odd mix. I wonder how it was determined that Overkill should open. They seem like the more popular band. They've been around longer than Symphony X, have more albums, and tour a lot more.

This was a Canadian tour in the fall of 2015. Each night Overkill and Symphony X would switch who would headline. I guess the Chadster saw SX open the concert he saw and left when Overkill headlined. I saw the opposite. I wasn’t overly familiar with Overkill and went solely to see SX. Overkill opened the show that I was at and the place was packed to the rafters. But once Overkill finished, the place emptied big time and I basically had all the room on the floor to move around. Even though the place was basically empty, Symphony X played like they were playing in front of a stadium. Awesome live band and if you are even a remote fan, you need to check them out.

And at this point I’m content with any Symphony X update, whether it’s a new tour, new live album or new album. The band is a bit of a procrastinator, so I’ll take what ever they do at this point  :metal :metal

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2524 on: December 22, 2019, 06:16:46 PM »

1 - TDWOT
2 - TIO
3 - V

And it ends there for me. These three were game changers, at a Dream Theater level.

I like 1/2 to 2/3 of the other CDs but I can live without all of the rest of them.

Offline PMA

« Reply #2525 on: December 28, 2019, 02:36:28 PM »

1 - TDWOT
2 - TIO
3 - V

And it ends there for me. These three were game changers, at a Dream Theater level.

I like 1/2 to 2/3 of the other CDs but I can live without all of the rest of them.

I really liked the above releases and would include The Odyssey (especially the title track) and Paradise Lost.  After that, they seemed to move to a different form of metal (to me at least) and Russell Allen was overly focused on a more heavy vocal style vs. his cleaner more melodic voice.  If I had to pick only one of their releases it would be V.  I somewhat agree with you that they were a band that rivaled DT in power and composition on some of their songs but not quite as good (IMHO).  Russell Allen is one of the very best singers in all of prog metal.  What I never have understood is why they haven't ever done a concert blu ray.  I've seen them live twice and their show is excellent. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2526 on: December 29, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »
What I never have understood is why they haven't ever done a concert blu ray.  I've seen them live twice and their show is excellent.
Whenever they were asked, they were always talking about how they wouldn't wanna just film a normal gig and sell it, they would wanna do something special, perhaps something with a real orchestra. Seeing how orchestral DVDs seem easier to film nowadays (apparently bands have discovered that symphonic orchestras exist outside of the US and the UK and fans exist outside of these countries too  :P ::)), it's now or never.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #2527 on: February 12, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »
time for your top 5 symphony x songs!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2528 on: February 12, 2020, 04:55:49 PM »
Russell Allen is one of the very best singers in all of prog metal.

I suppose that could be true.  But I really only rate him for the stuff he did in Symphony X rather than the prog metal side projects, so it's hard to say.  The sample size of him doing prog metal is pretty small in comparison.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 05:01:09 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2529 on: February 12, 2020, 05:25:15 PM »
time for your top 5 symphony x songs!

Not a definitive order:

The Odyssey
The Communion and the Oracle
Underworld
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Through the Looking Glass

Offline krands85

« Reply #2530 on: February 12, 2020, 06:24:53 PM »
1. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
2. The Odyssey
3. When All is Lost
4. Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
5. Sea of Lies
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2531 on: February 12, 2020, 08:42:17 PM »
1. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
2. When All Is Lost
3. The Accolade
4. The Sacrifice
5. Egypt

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
6. Enter Sandman
« Reply #2532 on: February 13, 2020, 12:14:38 AM »
1. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
2. The Edge of Forever
3. The Accolade
4. Church of the Machine
5. Of Sins and Shadows
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2533 on: February 13, 2020, 02:38:46 AM »
That's hard but something like this:

1. TDWOT
2. The Accolade
3. Communion and the Oracle
4. Egypt
5. Awakenings
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2534 on: February 13, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »
Fuck yeah, Awakenings!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: February 13, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
Fuck yeah - Church of the Machine  ;D

I haven't thought much about it but most of my faves would be off TDWOT (probably The Accolade being 1st) , Twilight and Underworld.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2537 on: April 05, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
I received an email from Enter the Vault refunding my ticket to the Joliet, IL show at the end of May.  Not sure if just that show is cancelled or if the whole tour has been cancelled...havent seen anything online at all.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2538 on: April 05, 2020, 05:08:00 PM »
I received an email from Enter the Vault refunding my ticket to the Joliet, IL show at the end of May.  Not sure if just that show is cancelled or if the whole tour has been cancelled...havent seen anything online at all.

Symphony X, both artist and show listings at the Enter The Vault website are gone. I guess the toured is going to be cancelled. Fuck. Bummer.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2539 on: April 05, 2020, 06:02:15 PM »
Not surprising. Was totally expecting it. Nothing regarding the Toronto show.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2540 on: April 05, 2020, 07:23:11 PM »
I sure hope they reschedule it and at our city too. We got shafted for Dance Gavin Dance.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2541 on: April 05, 2020, 10:39:21 PM »

I received a change of venue notification for our show that is about a week or so later (the venue they were going to play at had to close, and they just decided to close permanently. Waiting to see if it'll be canceled now...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2542 on: April 06, 2020, 08:07:59 AM »
Either way, I haven't got an email yet from my local venue. They'll probably wait for an official announcement.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2543 on: April 06, 2020, 09:06:46 AM »
Promoter in Austin is still selling tix but using Eventbrite instead of Enter the Vault. But there's also the listing for Caligula's Horse in Austin but they nixed their NA run.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2544 on: April 06, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »
I'm not sure why Enter the Vault would refund my ticket if Symphony X pulled their contract with them.  It was a valid sale.  I emailed ETV and asked them about the refund, since my credit card had since been compromised and wanted to know if they needed the updated number to process the refund on their end.  I also asked if they could confirm if the show or tour was cancelled.

They ignored my question about confirming that.  So maybe it's a personal or contractual issue between the band and ETV.  I know I've read a lot of stuff on the ProgPower unofficial group regarding the behavior of the promoter (Enter the Vault)....if the tour isn't cancelled, I wonder if Symphony X decided not to work with them anymore?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2545 on: April 06, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
I'm not sure why Enter the Vault would refund my ticket if Symphony X pulled their contract with them.  It was a valid sale.  I emailed ETV and asked them about the refund, since my credit card had since been compromised and wanted to know if they needed the updated number to process the refund on their end.  I also asked if they could confirm if the show or tour was cancelled.

They ignored my question about confirming that.  So maybe it's a personal or contractual issue between the band and ETV.  I know I've read a lot of stuff on the ProgPower unofficial group regarding the behavior of the promoter (Enter the Vault)....if the tour isn't cancelled, I wonder if Symphony X decided not to work with them anymore?

What is the Progpower unofficial group saying about Enter the Vault?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2546 on: April 06, 2020, 10:07:51 AM »

What is the Progpower unofficial group saying about Enter the Vault?

Just that his behavior towards others in the industry and music scene has been inappropriate and abusive - it's not my place to repeat anything specific.  But I do know that some users are trying to bring awareness of these allegations to the bands that he books and have them book shows with someone else. 

I'm suspecting it's all COVID-19 related, but anything is possible I guess.  I just found it odd that my ticket was refunded by the promoter with zero communication from the band or venue first.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2547 on: April 07, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
From S-X's FB feed:

ATTENTION: We have been alerted by Venues and Promoters in several cities in the US as well as in Canada that due to the current situation we will have to move our May / June tour into 2021. We will advise and let everyone know when new dates are announced. Until then, stay well!

And found in my inbox from Eventbrite:

Getting a refund:
please retain your ticket for the future date, and when the new date is announced, if it is not compatible for your plans, reach out for a refund.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2548 on: April 07, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
I figured that would be coming.  That sucks - hopefully Primal Fear and Firewind stay on the tour!  I was so pumped to see Primal Fear.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2549 on: April 07, 2020, 03:51:26 PM »
I figured that would be coming.  That sucks - hopefully Primal Fear and Firewind stay on the tour!  I was so pumped to see Primal Fear.

Me too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: April 07, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »

Me too.

Thirded. And keen on Firewind too!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2551 on: May 08, 2020, 09:34:12 PM »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2552 on: May 08, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
The band began writing Underworld on September 8, 2014, & the album was released on July 24, 2015.  That's 319 days. If writing begins in a month from now, that's 350 days, so we should expect the album on April 24, 2021.

Better late than never, I suppose. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: May 08, 2020, 11:29:32 PM »
The band began writing Underworld on September 8, 2014, & the album was released on July 24, 2015.  That's 319 days. If writing begins in a month from now, that's 350 days, so we should expect the album on April 24, 2021.

Better late than never, I suppose. :lol

We are going to hold you to this you know.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2554 on: May 08, 2020, 11:51:20 PM »
It's just an estimation, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't come out in the (northern hemisphere) Spring or Summer 2021. :lol