Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316857 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2485 on: September 25, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
whereas he felt like he was always "playing a character" when singing in SyX. 

Must've felt like a breath of fresh air in Adrenaline Mob  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2486 on: September 26, 2019, 01:58:34 AM »
Personal situation of Russell aside, maybe the issue with the long pause between the albums might be a mix of other life commitments, such as work, or simply the inability to churn out on short notice quality material. Not everyone is able to lock himself in a cabin, count 1, 2, 3 go and write an album's worth of material that lives up to a band's name. Maybe they really need all that time to present a nice album full of good songs and not 3-4 great songs and a pile of meh songs written because the deadline is approaching.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2487 on: September 26, 2019, 09:20:49 AM »
Romeo will have produced two full solo albums by the time the next one hits, so I think he has had a good productivity the last couple of years. The other band members have had their own things.

Also, holy shit I am livid that I totally missed that they toured in EU this year and that they played The Oddysey  :censored :(

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2488 on: October 12, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
The Odyssey was their last really good album. Everything after it is just OK IMO. Odyssey and Mythology held so much promise, alas unfulfilled.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2489 on: October 12, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »
Underworld and The Odyssey are my top 2 SX albums. They take turns in those spots.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2490 on: October 12, 2019, 07:58:31 PM »
Underworld and The Odyssey are my top 2 SX albums. They take turns in those spots.

:iagree:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2491 on: October 12, 2019, 08:02:16 PM »

:iagree:
I'd go with The Odyssey and Divine Wings of Tragedy.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2492 on: October 13, 2019, 03:40:00 AM »
I'm always surprised when a SX fan doesn't hold Divine Wings in high regards. I consider it their equivalent to Images and Words.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2493 on: October 14, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »
Never liked Divine Wings.  Not even a little bit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2494 on: October 14, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »
Never liked Divine Wings.  Not even a little bit.

How dare you, Sir!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2495 on: October 14, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
I really like iconoclast.  A great heavy album with with a epic closing track ( When All is Lost).  Electric Messiah and Faceless God are great rockers.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline krands85

« Reply #2496 on: October 14, 2019, 02:56:17 PM »
If we're going for somewhat controversial opinions - I really like Paradise Lost and it's easily my favourite of their more recent albums, possibly even my second favourite of all their work. Also, I don't like Underworld as much as most here. It's a pretty solid, consistent album, but for some reason, I never found any of the tracks to be top tier SX songs.

TDWOT is still my number 1 anyway.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2497 on: October 15, 2019, 01:06:07 AM »
I think Underworld is a really well balanced album with only good-great songs, but I keep returning to Iconoclast so have to mark that one as my favourite. Paradise Lost is great, but I am not very fond of the audio production there.

And Divine Wings is my favourite SX album at this point in time, Oddysee second, Iconoclast third.

If we are going controversial, personally I never cared for V - The Mythology Suite that much. Save for their debut with that other singer, I think all their other albums are significantly better than V.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2498 on: October 15, 2019, 02:22:49 AM »
If we are going controversial, personally I never cared for V - The Mythology Suite that much. Save for their debut with that other singer, I think all their other albums are significantly better than V.

Someone like me, finally!

I won't say it's a bad album, it obviously isn't, but it never really did anything for me. I can't even remember what the big final epic sounds like. I save Evolution, Fallen, Communion and Egypt and that's it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2499 on: October 15, 2019, 04:43:24 AM »

Someone like me, finally!

I won't say it's a bad album, it obviously isn't, but it never really did anything for me. I can't even remember what the big final epic sounds like. I save Evolution, Fallen, Communion and Egypt and that's it.
This is me as well! People say that V was the last truly great album, I call bullshit on that, because even the albums people hate and refuse to listen to are better than V, to me. Think there's some major nostalgia going on with that album.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Art

« Reply #2500 on: October 15, 2019, 08:11:34 AM »

1 - TDWOT
2 - TIO
3 - V
4 - TDG
5 - Underworld
6 - Odyssey
7 - Debut
8 - Paradise Lost
9 - Iconoclast

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2501 on: October 15, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »
1. Paradise Lost
2. Underworld
3. Iconoclast
4. everything else

just imo
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2502 on: October 15, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »
:caffeine: Oh, I'll play!

1.  Underworld
2.  The Odyssey
3.  V
4.  Iconoclast
5.  Paradise Lost
everything else
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2503 on: October 22, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »
Well, yeah, they have a history of...let's say a "lack of urgency" when it comes to putting out new material.  But this time around, fans shouldn't exactly be waiting around with baited breath.  It's no secret that, while Russ hasn't quit the band, he has wanted to distance himself from it for awhile for a few different reasons.  So we shouldn't really be expecting any particular timetable.
Just ran into this post from earlier in the thread. While I don't remember any new album talk when I saw them live in May, Russ did address (in his speech before Without You) his accident, and how he was feeling for a while, and how he concluded that being a music performer and sharing music with us was what he was put on his earth to do. They all looked like they were enjoying themselves, and Russell confirmed that for us. So, if Romeo has the material, we might see something sooner rather than later. Maybe the delay in Romeo's solo album plans (he said a sequel was fully ready back when the first one came out) is because he wants to repurpose some of that for a future SyX release.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2504 on: December 20, 2019, 12:38:41 AM »
Symphony X has put this message on their Spotify page:

Wonder what it could be. New album announcement maybe? :corn

(by the way, the playlist was only made half an hour ago, so it can't be referring to the recently American tour dates)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2505 on: December 20, 2019, 01:52:15 AM »
Hopefully!

And if SX does not make another album for a while, I really want that second part of Romeo's solo effort, I actually enjoy War of the Worlds as much as a lot of SX albums and that vocalist sounded fantastic.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2506 on: December 20, 2019, 01:52:48 AM »
Told ya we'd have new stuff soon  :angel:

Online Mladen

« Reply #2507 on: December 20, 2019, 02:10:03 AM »
I haven't been listening to Symphony X in many years. It seems like I completely forgot about them, even though I loved them ten years ago.

Then again, there might be a reason. The last album I thought was great was The Odyssey. PL and Iconoclast didn't scratch the itch for me, and it took the band forever to put together such underwhelming releases. And I remember thinking Underworld was the best one they did in a long time, and even that one didn't return to my playlist in the last four years. I want to dig down deep and rediscover the band, in order to maybe be able to appreciate the new album.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: December 20, 2019, 02:12:13 AM »
Start with Underworld again! Just rediscovered it this year myself. It only gets better with age. In ten years we'll probably talk about it as one of the modern classics.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2509 on: December 20, 2019, 04:24:22 AM »
A new album would be most welcome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2510 on: December 20, 2019, 06:00:35 AM »
I actually enjoy War of the Worlds as much as a lot of SX albums and that vocalist sounded fantastic.
I think I prefer it to Underworld (and I easily would if it had Russell singing on it), which is probably seen as blasphemy around here - everyone seems to really love Underworld but me. :lol I don't know why, but it just never clicked with me. It's a solid collection of songs, but nothing that blew me away.

It's definitely about time for a new album though, so hopefully that's what the announcement is.  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2511 on: December 20, 2019, 10:19:57 AM »
Yay. Just bought my ticket.

I forgot Primal Fear is Ralf Sheepers band. I like his voice in Ayreon.

Going to be an amazing show, one I hope has a good turnout.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2512 on: December 20, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »
I actually enjoy War of the Worlds as much as a lot of SX albums and that vocalist sounded fantastic.
I think I prefer it to Underworld (and I easily would if it had Russell singing on it), which is probably seen as blasphemy around here - everyone seems to really love Underworld but me. :lol I don't know why, but it just never clicked with me. It's a solid collection of songs, but nothing that blew me away.

I got into SX with The Odyssey.  Went backward from there since that was the new album at the time.  I liked V, but what came before never did much for me.  It felt like everything about power metal that I never clicked with.  I liked the heaviness and modernity of PL when it came out.  But outside of a few songs, it kind of faded due to its sameness.  It's an album I definitely like but don't love.  I felt similarly with Iconoclast.  But Underworld did everything I loved and did it extremely well.  It is easily my favorite album from the band and, for probably the first time, made me feel like I would truly consider myself a fan of the band.  That said, I consider Underworld to be an incredibly strong collection of 8 songs that peters out for the final three.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: December 20, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »
A new album would be most welcome.

:metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2514 on: December 20, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
Gonna give Underworld a spin to break in my new earphones.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2515 on: December 20, 2019, 08:05:46 PM »
Underworld is not only SX’s best album it’s one of the best metal albums of the past ten years.

I will never forgive myself for missing that tour, especially since they RARELY come touring in my neck of the woods.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: December 20, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »
Underworld is not only SX’s best album it’s one of the best metal albums of the past ten years.

I will never forgive myself for missing that tour, especially since they RARELY come touring in my neck of the woods.

I saw them on this tour with Overkill. Overkill opened and the place was packed. But when Symphony X came on the place emptied out; I’m guessing maybe 50-75 people remained

But Symphony X still put on a great show  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2517 on: December 20, 2019, 09:46:29 PM »

I saw them on this tour with Overkill. Overkill opened and the place was packed. But when Symphony X came on the place emptied out; I’m guessing maybe 50-75 people remained

Wowsers!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2518 on: December 21, 2019, 12:23:06 AM »
Hopefully!

And if SX does not make another album for a while, I really want that second part of Romeo's solo effort, I actually enjoy War of the Worlds as much as a lot of SX albums and that vocalist sounded fantastic.
Agreed, that is a really cool album and the singer is top notch!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2519 on: December 21, 2019, 06:13:04 AM »

I saw that tour as well.  S-X was the opener, and the place was about 1/2 full.  For Overkill (which I had no interest in), it was packed, and I bailed after about 1.5 songs.  Worked out just fine for me, as it was at a venue about 90 minutes from home, and on a Sunday night.  I was home before 11.   :D

Just bought my ticket.  There's some assigned seating at this venue, and that's sold out already.  Figured I should play it safe and get my tic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion