Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 311876 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2345 on: November 03, 2017, 07:25:33 AM »
I love Underworld.  Its two immediate predecessors really had some nice moments as well.  It's just that they are so one-note that a lot of the coolness gets lost in the nonstop barrage of complex heaviness for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2346 on: November 03, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »
I think I'm in the minority that prefers Paradise Lost, Iconoclast, and Underworld to their early albums. Just can't get into anything before PL with the exception of a choice few songs. Also thought the single CD version of Iconoclast is better than the 2CD version.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Art

« Reply #2347 on: November 03, 2017, 07:46:20 AM »
Underworld is cool, but i can't really get into Paradise Lost and Iconoclast. Everything from Damnation Game to Odyssey is 100% gold, though. TDWOT is probably a top 3 prog metal album of all time, IMHO.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2348 on: November 03, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »
I love Underworld, but have always struggled to get into their back catalog for some reason. Maybe it's time to try again.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2349 on: November 03, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
The last 3 SyX releases have been amazing but Underworld was just freaking amazing from start to finish. For me, it's the most perfect album Symphony X has put out. The songs are all amazing, the songwriting, the playing, the production and mix is just perfect. Love this one!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: November 03, 2017, 08:18:33 AM »
The only thing I don't like about Underworld is that one line in Kiss of Fire: "Bring down the hammer with furious anger!"  :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2351 on: November 03, 2017, 08:24:09 AM »
The only thing I don't like about Underworld is that one line in Kiss of Fire: "Bring down the hammer with furious anger!"  :lol :lol

You are a strange dude.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: November 03, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »
Well, you're not wrong.  :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2353 on: November 03, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »
I didn't read the entire thread so someone may have said this but listening to the new SOA gave me a craving to listen to Iconoclast to hear Prog Metal done right. Fantastic album!

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #2354 on: November 03, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »
First of all, Hi everybody !
I was lurking over at the MP forum for years with an occasionally post.
Since it shut down, I deceided to give this place a try :-)

I discovered SX back in 2007, when they supported DT in Antwerp.
Paradise Lost was just released and I loved it. The music, the voice, the arrangements, briljant. Would love te see new stuff in the future...
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2355 on: November 03, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »
Cool, Welcome to DT forms! 
Yeah Symphony X is one of my favs too. I got into them arou,d the same time. I actually started around 2005 with Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Oddysee, then Paradise Lost. Since then, Iconoclast really impressed me and now Underworld is probably their best album imo. Russel Allen really shines on this album. Got to see them live in Seattle two years ago, fantastic!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2356 on: November 03, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
Here I was entering this thread thinking there's SX news...  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2357 on: November 03, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
I didn't read the entire thread so someone may have said this but listening to the new SOA gave me a craving to listen to Iconoclast to hear Prog Metal done right. Fantastic album!

That's exactly what I wrote, except it was PL, I and UW ;)

Sorry dude :(

Its two immediate predecessors really had some nice moments as well.  It's just that they are so one-note that a lot of the coolness gets lost in the nonstop barrage of complex heaviness for me.

I get what you are saying. Underworld is not that overloaded as Iconoclast. Paradise Lost on the other hand I think is more compact than Iconoclast though.

It's just, I have gotten into this band again and again and whenever that happens I have the urge to talk about it :)
BTW I just listened to The Odyssey (song) in the car. Wow, what a masterpiece!

Also I think, Underworld kinda stands on the same side of the Prog genre as Psychotic Symphony does. But it's better than Psychotic Symphony, I dare to say.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2358 on: November 03, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
probably my favorite band not named Rush.  I was initially down on PL and Iconoclast (moreso with Iconoclast), but my goodness both albums rock.  Underworld is a masterpiece.

BTW I just listened to The Odyssey (song) in the car. Wow, what a masterpiece!

yep.  This song just blows me away every time I hear it.  Hell, calling it a "song" doesn't even seem right - doesn't do it justice.  It's an experience.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2359 on: November 03, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »
Giving the last 3 albums a good listen. Paradise Lost is such a good song, ruined by the fade out at the end.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Art

« Reply #2360 on: November 03, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »
A guy i would love to see in some big prog band is Thomas Miller, Symphony X's first bass player. It's a shame he apparently quit the business. That guy rivals I&W-era Myung as my favorite Prog metal bass player. I like Lepond too, but this guy was on another level.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2361 on: November 03, 2017, 12:42:56 PM »
Ah I almost forgot to mention :D I absolutely love how Russel sings the line "BRING DOWN THE HAMMER WITH FURIOUS ANGER"  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2362 on: November 03, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »

I thought the same thing.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2363 on: November 03, 2017, 02:34:01 PM »
Underworld is an absolute masterpiece. I’m so disappointed that they decided to take a break right when the iron was (imo) the hottest. Also, they should have made a DVD the last tour.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2364 on: November 03, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
Underworld is an absolute masterpiece. I’m so disappointed that they decided to take a break right when the iron was (imo) the hottest. Also, they should have made a DVD the last tour.

Not a DVD, but here's a pro-shot show where they sound great:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bd3R30AM1E

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2365 on: November 03, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »

Not a DVD, but here's a pro-shot show where they sound great:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bd3R30AM1E
Yeah, I saw that one. It’s good for what it is, but the camera work is all over the place, plus the keyboard solos are completely out of the mix. Russell is amazing live.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2366 on: November 03, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »

Yeah, I saw that one. It’s good for what it is, but the camera work is all over the place, plus the keyboard solos are completely out of the mix. Russell is amazing live.

Yeah, I was all where are the keys. Especially during Back to Hell.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2367 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
The Symphony X hiatuses are frustrating. I'm not sure if they are for financial reasons or if that's just what they do, but I feel they've squandered a lot of potential and musical development that way.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2368 on: November 04, 2017, 04:11:43 AM »
Yeah, at least we got Adrenaline Mob in return.  :\

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2369 on: November 04, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
We also got Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins, which is actually a really good metal album!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #2370 on: November 04, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
For a minute i thought i saw Derek Sherinian on the left side of the stage

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2371 on: November 04, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »
We also got Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins, which is actually a really good metal album!  :tup
Thanks, I just checked out the title track, it's a really kickass '80s throwback. Nice to hear Romeo there, too, didn't even know he was involved. Really promising!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2372 on: November 04, 2017, 07:24:10 PM »
Thanks, I just checked out the title track, it's a really kickass '80s throwback. Nice to hear Romeo there, too, didn't even know he was involved. Really promising!
It definitely has the raw kind of classic metal sound. I highly recommend this album, it's addicting the whole way through. Also word has it there's a follow up release coming soon.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2373 on: November 04, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Silent Assassins fucking rules!  :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2374 on: November 04, 2017, 10:50:43 PM »
Most definitely!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2375 on: November 05, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »
From 'Paradise Lost' onward the production has gotten a lot more professional sounding, but also a bit sterile. For some reason I like their older albums a lot better, even with the at times sub par production values. I think those albums 'breathe' a lot more and just have more mojo.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2376 on: November 05, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
I bought Silent Assassins album last night, but won't be able to listen to it until tonight. Can't wait!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2377 on: November 05, 2017, 11:13:15 AM »
I love Underworld.  Its two immediate predecessors really had some nice moments as well.  It's just that they are so one-note that a lot of the coolness gets lost in the nonstop barrage of complex heaviness for me.

I like their later albums but I don't listen to them a whole lot and that's why I also get the impression of "nonstop barrage of complex heaviness". Paradise Lost, Iconoclast, & even Underworld kind of all blend together for me.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: November 05, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
I thought the Silent Assassins was very ordinary.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2379 on: November 05, 2017, 06:39:29 PM »
I thought the Silent Assassins was very ordinary.

That album kicks ass, bro.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol