Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 315897 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2240 on: August 01, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »
Every time I see an update in this thread I am hoping to see news of a live album coming out lol.

Oh well, I will say that Underworld hasn't even remotely gotten old and I am playing it all the time.  It's top three all time Symphony X for me and has potential to go even higher.  Its a perfect metal album for me.

A live CD/DVD would be incredible J, good call.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2241 on: August 01, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
well its been 15 years!! since the last live album, so they are due for one for sure.

Plus I think this is a great time to do one; hearing live tracks from UW would be real and spectacular.

I saw them live on this tour and they were fantastic (even though there was only 50 people in the crowd).  But I would imagine if they filmed a show they would do a much longer and diverse set (hoping)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: August 01, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »
I think live tracks from Odyssey onwards would be epic.  I'd be all for a live album of mostly the later stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2243 on: August 01, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »
Jason, you've inspired me, just pulled out my copy of Underworld and it's going in the car right now as I leave for work!  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2244 on: August 01, 2016, 06:15:44 PM »
Jason, you've inspired me, just pulled out my copy of Underworld and it's going in the car right now as I leave for work!  :metal

I'm listening to it right now!!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2245 on: August 01, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
Orion... that's the one with the bunch of power chords and the boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Brilliant  :lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2246 on: August 02, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »

When this album was released I thought it was really solid but didn't blow me away.  After listening to it again now, it's aging really really well and is a bloody fine album from start to finish.  Nice mix of old and new SX and has a wonderful replay value, great album.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2247 on: August 02, 2016, 08:07:27 AM »
I just hope we don't have to wait another 5 years for the next one.  :omg:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2248 on: August 02, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
I just hope we don't have to wait another 5 years for the next one.  :omg:

yeah for sure

SX has never been consistent with releasing albums, or even updates or news for that matter.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2249 on: October 12, 2016, 12:01:41 AM »
First ever Australian Tour, yup two dates, last night in Melbourne and tonight in Sydney.
Just about to leave for the venue, can't wait  :metal

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2250 on: October 12, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »

When this album was released I thought it was really solid but didn't blow me away.  After listening to it again now, it's aging really really well and is a bloody fine album from start to finish.  Nice mix of old and new SX and has a wonderful replay value, great album.

I'm in the same boat here.  The album sounds better on my second round of listens.  Best thing they've done since Odyssey.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2251 on: October 12, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »
I keep playing Underworld pretty often. I hope Symphony X releases a live version of it. The songs were amazing in a live setting. Aside this, I hope SyX does go into writing mode soon. The last two/three releases have been pretty solid.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2252 on: October 13, 2016, 02:22:07 AM »
SX were great, the audience were insane, loud and very demanding.
A bit of banter between Russ and an audience member, ending in an impromptu performance of Led Zep's 'Immigrant Song'.

A slightly disappointing set list, considering that the band have never played here before, we got all of the 'Underworld' album.
With many albums skipped, I would have thought a  'greatest hits' setlist would have been more appropriate.
Instead we got a 'standard' 2016 setlist. 
Still was an awesome night, Russ really impressed, he was everything a great frontman and singer should aspire to be.

Intro/Nevermore
Underworld
Without You
Kiss of Fire
Charon
To Hell and Back
In My Darkest Hour
Run With the Devil
Immigrant Song
(Led Zeppelin cover)

Swan Song
The Death of Balance / Lacrymosa
Serpent's Kiss
Of Sins and Shadows
Encore:
Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
Legend
Encore 2:
Sea of Lies

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: October 13, 2016, 02:24:52 AM »
Good stuff G ............I had to decide between Queensryche and SX and went for Queensryche , so hopefully they're on form.    That set list makes me feel a little better about missing out as it has very few of my faves.

Still - disappointed at not getting along and glad to see that they did well.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2254 on: October 13, 2016, 02:30:29 AM »
I had only seen SX supporting Dream Theater in 2007 in Newport Wales.
They only played a 45min set then, so I was keen to see them play a full set.

Queensryche, I've never seen live, haven't been interested in them since Promised Land, but I really
want to see them on Saturday night, so I'll probably go along, I have no idea of the setlist either, I like surprises!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2255 on: October 13, 2016, 03:35:36 AM »
Yeah, they're playing the same setlist this year, Underworld in its entirety. I saw them in march or something, (sans Immigrant song) and it was pretty much the exact same set. Bit of a shame, unless there's a pro-shot dvd in the works, but a recording with material from Paradise Lost, and other recent albums would be great though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2256 on: October 13, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
So if there's any new live album at all it'll probably be mostly Underworld? I mean love Underworld, but...

Welp. Here goes to another 20 years of waiting a live symphonic version of TDWOT. :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: October 14, 2016, 05:36:12 AM »
Yeah, considering the band has never played Australia before, that's a bizarre and underwhelming setlist, even if it is the standard set for the tour.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2258 on: October 14, 2016, 07:56:48 AM »
So, they play their best album in its entirety, which, coincidentally, they are also touring right now, and it's an "underwhelming" set list?  :lol 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2259 on: October 14, 2016, 08:30:02 AM »
So, they play their best album in its entirety, which, coincidentally, they are also touring right now, and it's an "underwhelming" set list?  :lol

I personally loved Underworld and wouldn't mind a properly recorded live version of it. Saw them in San Antonio and they kicked so much ass. Russ is one of the best front man out there.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2260 on: October 14, 2016, 09:10:46 AM »
I wouldn't rank it in their top 5 of albums, personally.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2261 on: October 14, 2016, 09:18:05 AM »

I wouldn't rank YOU in my top 5 albums.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2262 on: October 14, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »
harsh, but true
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2263 on: October 14, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »

That's just one's opinion.

I'd probably agree.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2264 on: October 14, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »

That's just one's opinion.

Yes, but that doesn't make it any less correct.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2265 on: October 14, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »
I sense an album ranking coming.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2266 on: October 14, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
I still have no idea how to rank Underworld. I rarely have the urge to listen to it, but when I do I really can't find anything wrong with it. Every song is at a high level of quality and it makes a really exciting listen. But nothing has really entered my SX all time favorites.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2267 on: October 14, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
I sense an album ranking coming.
Fine.

Underworld
The Odyssey
V
Iconoclast
Paradise Lost
everything else - not interested

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2268 on: October 14, 2016, 02:49:01 PM »
I can definitely see how Underworld would be your favorite if you don't care for their earlier work.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2269 on: October 14, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »
Underworld
The Odyssey
V: The New Mythology Suite
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Twilight in Olympus
Paradise Lost
Iconoclast
The Damnation Game
Self Titled

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2270 on: October 14, 2016, 03:07:53 PM »
I can definitely see how Underworld would be your favorite if you don't care for their earlier work.
Not trying to be insulting to anyone that likes the earlier albums, but here is my take:  I have either Twilight or DWOT (I forget which).  I have only listened to it once through.  My reaction to it, as well as the songs I heard from The Damnation Game, was basically "This sounds like a much younger band that was eventually going to grow up and write V and The Odyssey, but hasn't quite figured out how to write really good songs yet that don't sound like generic power metal."  And that's fine.  But it just doesn't really interest me.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2271 on: October 14, 2016, 04:59:17 PM »
I still have no idea how to rank Underworld. I rarely have the urge to listen to it, but when I do I really can't find anything wrong with it. Every song is at a high level of quality and it makes a really exciting listen. But nothing has really entered my SX all time favorites.
That pretty much sums up how I feel about the album. Really consistent, but none of the songs blow me away like the best tracks from some of their other albums.

Not sure quite how to rank all the albums, other than having TDWOT at the top and I think probably Paradise Lost at #2.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2272 on: October 17, 2016, 12:37:37 PM »
Being a newer fan, i would rank them:
Underworld
Iconoclast
Paradise Lost (a very close 3rd, practically a tie with Iconoclast)
The Odyssey
...everything else. 

I'm just not that big on the earlier, more symphonic, stuff (odd, considering the band's NAME!).  But these last 4 albums have been getting better and better with each release, IMO.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2273 on: October 17, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
The Odyssey
V
Paradise Lost

Underworld
Damnation Game
Twilight In Olympus
Divine Wings of Tragedy
Iconoclast

Symphony X

The top three are near perfect albums. The next 5 are so close they might as well be tied.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #2274 on: October 17, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
Underworld
The Damnation Game
Paradise Lost
Twilight in Olympus
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Odyssey
Iconoclast
V
Symphony X

Underworld has moved up a few spots since I last ranked these, but the rest of the list is similar.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.