Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317078 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2205 on: May 10, 2016, 03:12:08 PM »
Sym X is a band that should be right up my alley, but I have never taken to them. I have most of their stuff, and it's all excellent, but nothing has ever resonate with me.

I know what you mean, it took me a long while for them to click.  I actually clicked more with the newer stuff from The Odyssey and forward.  The classics before them I find good but yeah, doesn't get me going like the newer ones do.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2206 on: May 10, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »
They clicked with me immediately. I think "Fallen" was the first song I ever heard, and it won me over big time.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2207 on: May 12, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »
Woot.  Just got this from enterthevault:

SYMPHONY X will do a week of show in Sept-Oct

Tickets are onsale now
Sept
29        Trocadero Theater    Philadelphia , PA
Oct
1       Palladium               Worcester , MA
2       FouFounes       Montreal , QUE
3    MOD Club      Toronto , ON
4      Salle Multi      QC , QUE
5         Grammercy Theater       NYC

Probably a lead in for TSO rehearsals/tour for Russell?  Gonna be goin again fo sho!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: May 12, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
What is it gonna take to finally get a live album from these guys!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2209 on: May 12, 2016, 01:42:53 PM »
Woot.  Just got this from enterthevault:

SYMPHONY X will do a week of show in Sept-Oct

Tickets are onsale now
Sept
29        Trocadero Theater    Philadelphia , PA
Oct
1       Palladium               Worcester , MA
2       FouFounes       Montreal , QUE
3    MOD Club      Toronto , ON
4      Salle Multi      QC , QUE
5         Grammercy Theater       NYC

Probably a lead in for TSO rehearsals/tour for Russell?  Gonna be goin again fo sho!

I think it's a warmup run for their Loudpark Festival in Japan appearance

From their FB:
New Jersey’s progressive metal masters, SYMPHONY X, are making a few special stops on their way to Japan's Loud Park Festival. The limited engagement 6 show trek, will launch on September 29th at The Trocadero hit 3 Canadian cities and conclude on October 5th at The Gramercy Theatre in NYC!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2210 on: May 14, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »

No shit.  I think the problem is, the type of venues they play.  Every time I've seen them, the venues were small and so were the audiences.  Kind of a bummer.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: May 14, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »

No shit.  I think the problem is, the type of venues they play.  Every time I've seen them, the venues were small and so were the audiences.  Kind of a bummer.

Good point. Last year I saw them in front of about 50- 100 people, so that's not going to work

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2212 on: May 14, 2016, 03:28:46 PM »

I hope they do another one. Live was alright, but could've been better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2213 on: May 15, 2016, 03:58:17 AM »
If they do I hope it's better than the last one, which generally sounded bloody terrible.
As the old saying goes, I've heard better bootlegs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2214 on: May 15, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »
I don't make big deals over live releases anymore, as sometimes the bootlegs DO have better sound and performance than the concert they choose to film.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2215 on: June 03, 2016, 08:04:18 PM »
For the passed 10 years Communion and the Oracle has been my favorite SX song, but goddamn, Underworld crushes it. That song is amazing.

Offline 425

« Reply #2216 on: June 04, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
Hi, Symphony X thread, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm looking for a recommendation for where I ought to go next with this band. I have V: The New Mythology Suite and The Odyssey, and I've been thinking about exploring more of their albums. I like both albums I have, but I think V is superior as an album, while Odyssey's title track is the best song I've heard from them. I like their symphonic side, and prefer Allen's cleans to his gruff voice. And I like melodic stuff. Based on this, what album should I check out next?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2217 on: June 04, 2016, 09:38:56 PM »
Go for the one  that introduced me to them. Twilight in Olympus. It's more melodic, neo-classical, and Russell's vocals are clean.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2218 on: June 04, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »
The Divine Wings of Tragedy (based on what you said, you're going to love this).  And to a lesser extent, Twilight in Olympus.  The Damnation Game has the sound you're looking for as well, but isn't quite at the level of those to imo.

Also try Underworld, their latest.  Less symphonic stuff, but awesome nonetheless.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2219 on: June 04, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
The Divine Wings of Tragedy (based on what you said, you're going to love this).  And to a lesser extent, Twilight in Olympus.  The Damnation Game has the sound you're looking for as well, but isn't quite at the level of those to imo.

Also try Underworld, their latest.  Less symphonic stuff, but awesome nonetheless.

this , although for me Damnation Game is more than a bit behind.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline 425

« Reply #2220 on: June 04, 2016, 10:21:39 PM »
Okay, so I'm definitely hearing that I should work backwards from V. I suppose I'll check whether The Divine Wings of Tragedy or Twilight in Olympus is less expensive/more available on Amazon when I make my next order later this month (TDWoT is sold out right now). Thanks everybody!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2221 on: June 05, 2016, 05:13:47 PM »
At this point you can't do wrong with anything besides the debut and Iconoclast. They're all pretty similar in quality.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2222 on: June 05, 2016, 10:06:40 PM »
At this point you can't do wrong with anything besides the debut and Iconoclast. They're all pretty similar in quality.

Iconoclast is awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2223 on: June 05, 2016, 10:46:55 PM »
I like Iconoclast, I just know that a lot of people don't so I don't recommend going to it until later.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2224 on: June 05, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »

Iconoclast is awesome.

yep
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: June 06, 2016, 12:11:44 AM »
Besides the debut, there hasn't been anything that Symphony X has released that isn't awesome. This includes Iconoclast

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2226 on: June 06, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
I like all of their albums too.  I prefer the more symphonic stuff but yeah, strong catalog for sure.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2227 on: June 06, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »
Yeah very strong back catalogue, even the ones I didn't like at first (Paradise Lost is a big one, 5.1 mix did it for me) have come good, after a few good years they finally sunk in.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #2228 on: July 13, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »
Hi, Symphony X thread, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm looking for a recommendation for where I ought to go next with this band. I have V: The New Mythology Suite and The Odyssey, and I've been thinking about exploring more of their albums. I like both albums I have, but I think V is superior as an album, while Odyssey's title track is the best song I've heard from them. I like their symphonic side, and prefer Allen's cleans to his gruff voice. And I like melodic stuff. Based on this, what album should I check out next?

Based on your preferences, I agree with the others - Divine Wings of Tragedy, Twilight and Olympus and maybe even Damnation Game are the next albums to go to, and probably even in this order (I think the first half of Twilight is better than Wings, however the second half brings it down a bit). If you wish to get into the "new" sound, I'd recommend trying Underworld first, then Paradise Lost and only then Iconoclast. I mean, I like Iconoclast a lot (and it's in my top 5), but it's really very different from the rest of their discography.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2229 on: July 14, 2016, 07:18:41 AM »
I know Symphony X from 5 or 6 years, but I listened only from the albums from Paradise Lost. Last week I decided to give a chance to the old stuff. In four or five days I tried The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, The Damnation Game and the titletrack of The Odyssey. Both TDWOT and TDM are awesome. I instantly liked the songs of TDM, they are more catchy and song oriented, but the other album contains even better stuff. I love in particular Eyes Of Medusa, I can't stop listening to that song. Both the 20 min suites are fantastic, I only don't like the intro of TDWOT titletrack, but I'm getting used to it.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2230 on: July 14, 2016, 10:30:50 AM »
Try "The looking Glass" as well.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2231 on: August 01, 2016, 07:10:42 AM »
Great composition and great chorus, my favourite of the album, but I prefer the two previous albums. Maybe it's the sound of the album less metal than TDWOT.I don't know why Orion has never been played live, it's in my top 3 of the album

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2232 on: August 01, 2016, 07:14:35 AM »
Orion... that's the one with the bunch of power chords and the boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2233 on: August 01, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »
 :lol I like the melody in the chorus, I can't recall the rest at the moment but I enjoyed it

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2234 on: August 01, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »
Orion... that's the one with the bunch of power chords and the boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
:lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2235 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »
Listening to "To Hell and Back" :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: August 01, 2016, 01:31:33 PM »
Every time I see an update in this thread I am hoping to see news of a live album coming out lol.

Oh well, I will say that Underworld hasn't even remotely gotten old and I am playing it all the time.  It's top three all time Symphony X for me and has potential to go even higher.  Its a perfect metal album for me.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2237 on: August 01, 2016, 01:45:56 PM »
Yeah, SX never disappoints.  I've been pleased with just about everything they've done.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2238 on: August 01, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »
Great composition and great chorus, my favourite of the album, but I prefer the two previous albums. Maybe it's the sound of the album less metal than TDWOT.I don't know why Orion has never been played live, it's in my top 3 of the album

Absolutely agree, Damnation Game and TdWoT are way better albums, but Looking Glass is a Highlight on Twilight in Olympus.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2239 on: August 01, 2016, 02:41:19 PM »
Every time I see an update in this thread I am hoping to see news of a live album coming out lol.

Oh well, I will say that Underworld hasn't even remotely gotten old and I am playing it all the time.  It's top three all time Symphony X for me and has potential to go even higher.  Its a perfect metal album for me.

+1

Other than the Australian tour in September, the band has been pretty quiet. Live CD? Live DVD/BR? Another leg? Summer festival run in Europe? I think the fall/winter is probably reserved for Russell if he's out with TSO again.