Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317013 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2170 on: March 02, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
I definitely like the latest Symphony X more than The Astonishing.

Underworld is basically Paradise Lost Pt. 2, and i love that!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2171 on: March 02, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
I definitely like the latest Symphony X more than The Astonishing.

Underworld is basically Paradise Lost Pt. 2, and i love that!

Very well said. I dislike both of them but I agree on the comparison.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2172 on: March 02, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
I haven't listened to Underworld much since release - need to rectify that.   But yeah......I rated Underworld mid 90's and TA mid 70's.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2173 on: March 03, 2016, 05:06:03 AM »
Simply no comparison between the two IMO, SX everyday of the week.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2174 on: March 03, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »
Simply no comparison between the two IMO, SX everyday of the week.

And twice on Sunday!

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2175 on: March 03, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »
Underworld is just simply a masterpiece.  Oddly, the song i like least is the title track.  everything else is just so solid.  That's why it's killing me that in the States they played the first half of the album, but now in Europe they're playing the ENTIRE album!!  It's that second half that i like a little better!  I SO want to hear those songs live!

I can only hope and pray that they'll release a live album soon.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2176 on: March 03, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
On the surface I get comparing the latest SX and the latest DT, but the two albums are so different it's hard for me to say one is better than the other. I like both quite a bit actually.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2177 on: March 03, 2016, 11:28:54 AM »
On the surface I get comparing the latest SX and the latest DT, but the two albums are so different it's hard for me to say one is better than the other. I like both quite a bit actually.
That is pretty much how I see it as well.  Saying that one is "clearly" better than the other seems a bit silly to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2178 on: March 03, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »
Totally right Bosk.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.  One is a beautifully shaped and proportioned piece of fruit that peels effortlessly and melts in your mouth.  The other is a hot-mess of smushed, lumpy, bruised applesauce.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2179 on: March 03, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
You are a strange little hairless man.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2180 on: March 03, 2016, 11:54:45 AM »

I've got plenty of hair - it's just in all the wrong places.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2181 on: March 03, 2016, 12:31:47 PM »
Underworld is definitely a solid album.
Masterpiece, not even close, that is for faultless, perfect and truly exceptional albums.
I've been listening to music for 36 of my 47 years and I can count the number of masterpieces on my left hand.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2182 on: March 03, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »
I also consider it a masterpiece, but that's what makes music so subjective

I agree with Beowulf about the live album and hopefully DVD. This is now the perfect time to release that!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2183 on: March 03, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »

I've got plenty of hair - it's just in all the wrong places.
:lol  I will concede that point.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #2184 on: March 03, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »
Underworld is awesome! I have just put it on (I haven't listened to the album in its entirety since October) and my love prevails. "INTO NIGHT // INTO FURY // HORSE OF CRIMSON SHE RIIIDES [some blastbeats]"
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2185 on: March 03, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
Yeah, the word masterpiece and Underworld really doesn't make sense to me.  It's definitely a great album, but not even one of my fav SX albums, but it's good indeed.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2186 on: March 03, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
I still conclude that Run with the Devil is the grooviest riff Romeo has ever written.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2187 on: May 10, 2016, 12:47:13 AM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2188 on: May 10, 2016, 12:51:47 AM »
nice............just waiting for the wolfking to enter the thread and start trashing stuff  :-\

This is one gig I WOULD attend by myself (don't know any other fans in Melbourne) ............happy to help out where I can if you feel like the trip Kade   ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:56:51 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2189 on: May 10, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »
SX are finally touring Australia, well two cities :)

You mean we have more than two cities?

Surprised they're not playing slightly bigger venues, but I don't think they'll have any trouble filling them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: May 10, 2016, 01:09:33 AM »
Well the venue in Melbourne is about 700 capacity....................Queensryche venue is 900 and they haven't sold that out after a couple of weeks .  Melbourne is full of metal heads - I was expecting more demand,

And yet when Steel Panther booked a gig for 2000 people it sold out in 20 mins and had to be moved to a 4000 seater a few years back.  I like Steel Panther but c'mon :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2191 on: May 10, 2016, 01:30:59 AM »
I probably wouldn't have even heard of Queensryche if not for this forum, so that doesn't shock me, plus they probably lost a lot of fans during their shaky years. SX and Steel Panther are both popular recent-ish bands, so I'd expect them to do better.
But it's always hard to predict what the demand will be in a country you've never played before. Album sales probably aren't a reliable indicator, and you don't want to overestimate sales in a place that's so expensive to tour.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2192 on: May 10, 2016, 01:42:02 AM »
I'll be honest - I have no idea where the hell people hear about Steel Panther in Australia but they went #1.   Presumably not on commercial radio :lol

I would always expect Queensryche to outsell SX , no matter what and the capacities sort of reflect that (in Melbourne anyway) , but a bit closer than I would've imagined.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2193 on: May 10, 2016, 01:45:32 AM »
I'll be honest - I have no idea where the hell people hear about Steel Panther in Australia but they went #1.   Presumably not on commercial radio :lol

You could say the same about QR and SX. We live in the internet age, my friend!
We'll see how SX sells, but I'd expect them to have no trouble with that number.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2194 on: May 10, 2016, 05:05:36 AM »
Get fucking fucked!!!!   >:(

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2195 on: May 10, 2016, 05:09:30 AM »

Do you not live in Australia anymore?

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2196 on: May 10, 2016, 08:32:32 AM »
Being a "newer" fan of SX, there are a few songs from the earlier albums i like, but overall from The Odyssey on have been outstanding albums.  Underworld i think is still my favorite, but really difficult to truly pinpoint one i like over another.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2197 on: May 10, 2016, 08:36:42 AM »
Being a "newer" fan of SX, there are a few songs from the earlier albums i like, but overall from The Odyssey on have been outstanding albums.  Underworld i think is still my favorite, but really difficult to truly pinpoint one i like over another.

I got into them during The Odyssey.  To me, their best albums by far are The Odyssey, V, and Underworld.  The two in between The Odyssey and Underworld were okay, but don't get many repeat listens from me.  I don't really care about the ones that preceded V, other than a song here and there.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2198 on: May 10, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »
I thought Iconoclast and PL were outstanding albums.  But yeah, V is a good one, too.  It seems they've gotten a bit heavier and a bit farther away from the "symphonic" aspect.  Seeing them this past October was definitely in my Top 10 concerts, though.  I just wish i could get my hands on a quality version of the European tour where they've performed the new album in its entirety.  All fingers and toes crossed for a live release.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2199 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
I'm relatively new to SX and I don't get it why V is widely considered their best album. I gave it many spins, but it's just boring and dragging, hard for me to get through it even while I'm driving (and that's the perfect frame of mind for me to internalize new music). The dated, flat production doesn't help it either and Russell's vocals are surprisingly unimpressive compared to later albums.

Now, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost and especially Undeworld (my favorite album in recent years!) are all fantastic and, thanks to them, SX is quickly shaping up to be one of my favorite bands these days. Russell is the most impressive metal vocalist I have ever heard, hands down. I'm usually an instruments guy (and they excel in that department as well), but SX is all (well, mostly) about the singing and the vocal melodies for me.

When it comes to general consensus about the best album of any given band, I usually end up coming into fold and agreeing with said consensus, sometimes almost immediately (case in point: Master of Puppets), sometimes after a while, as the album needs to grow on me (as with SFAM). With V, I seem to be at an impasse and I just don't get it. I should at least like it somewhat, but no. Why?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2200 on: May 10, 2016, 12:19:52 PM »

Twilight in Olympus got me into them and is still one of my favorite albums ever. Through the Looking Glass is quite possibly my favorite SyX song, along with Paradise Lost. I'm not sure if you've heard that album yet, but definitely give it a listen to.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2201 on: May 10, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
Besides the debut, I can see any of SX's albums being someone's favorite.  Phenomenal band

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2202 on: May 10, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »

Do you not live in Australia anymore?

Yeah, but hardly any of these bands visit my state anymore, so annoying.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2203 on: May 10, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
I'm relatively new to SX and I don't get it why V is widely considered their best album. I gave it many spins, but it's just boring and dragging, hard for me to get through it even while I'm driving (and that's the perfect frame of mind for me to internalize new music). The dated, flat production doesn't help it either and Russell's vocals are surprisingly unimpressive compared to later albums.

Now, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost and especially Undeworld (my favorite album in recent years!) are all fantastic and, thanks to them, SX is quickly shaping up to be one of my favorite bands these days. Russell is the most impressive metal vocalist I have ever heard, hands down. I'm usually an instruments guy (and they excel in that department as well), but SX is all (well, mostly) about the singing and the vocal melodies for me.

When it comes to general consensus about the best album of any given band, I usually end up coming into fold and agreeing with said consensus, sometimes almost immediately (case in point: Master of Puppets), sometimes after a while, as the album needs to grow on me (as with SFAM). With V, I seem to be at an impasse and I just don't get it. I should at least like it somewhat, but no. Why?

My personal opinion is that it probably could have used some editing.  (it's a bit on the long side)

The guitar tone is terrible, too.

But I'd still say it's their most musically mature release.

They've really morphed into a pretty much straight on metal band.  Not a bad thing, if that's what you like.  Personally, I got into them because of the neoclassical/symphonic aspects of their music, so I tend to like their older albums, up to and including The Odyssey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2204 on: May 10, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »
Sym X is a band that should be right up my alley, but I have never taken to them. I have most of their stuff, and it's all excellent, but nothing has ever resonate with me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol