Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317127 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2135 on: September 27, 2015, 11:27:02 PM »
This was the second time I've seen Symphony X and they were awesome.  Russell is a fantastic frontman.

Overkill was ok, but not really my cup of tea.

The one thing that I found surprising was that half of the audience left after Overkill.  The place was packed to the rafters for Overkill, but quite sparse for Symphony X.  I guess Overkill is alot more popular.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2136 on: September 28, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
Yes Overkill are way popular.

I want to see this lineup, but oh well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2137 on: September 28, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »
This new album is so damn good that I'm having difficulty figuring out how to rank these songs.  :lolpalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2138 on: September 28, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »
Ya, in fact I'm surprised Overkill isn't headlining.   This whole tour is like if Testament opened up for Blind Guardian.   

I'm going to try and hit the show next week.   I've never been much into Symphony X at all, and I haven't listened to Overkill in years (though I absolutely LOVED The Years of Decay and Horrorscope)...but a couple of good friends of mine are going, and I don't always get a chance to go to a show with friends.   Seems we never all have enough money at the same time.  LOL
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2139 on: September 29, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »
I wish they'd come near my area.  I'd definitely see them if I had a chance.

Sir Russell looks like he's been back at the gym.  He was getting a little bit chunky there for a while.

I have recently been on a Symphony X binge, going through their back catalog.   I never really got into when it was released but "Paradise Lost" is a great album.  I have a new appreciation for it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2140 on: September 29, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »
I *just* picked up Underworld and listened to the first half on the way home.   Pretty cool stuff.   It was better for me on the first spin than V was (15 years ago).   It at least made me curious to dig out and dust off V and see if I like it any better.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2141 on: September 30, 2015, 12:16:03 AM »
Hey guys.  Do me a solid. 

Rate the SX albums.   As a whole, your lists will help me a LOT in deciding where to go next. 

Really digging underworld.  I'll try to dust off V before the end of the week.   But I'm overwhelmed with new music at the moment.

In the last month, I've bought more music than I have in years.   New Riverside, Iron Maiden, Spock's Beard, Primus, TesseracT, Symphony X....not to mention new bands Babymetal, Native Construct and The Great Discord.     I just can't process it all.

The SX/Overkill tour is coming to Seattle this Saturday.  If I get a job, I'm going to go to the show with some friends. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2142 on: September 30, 2015, 01:17:26 AM »
Paradise Lost is my favourite. I would recommend that.

But I'm going to be the only person who does so. :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2143 on: September 30, 2015, 01:19:52 AM »
Well, I'm not very grood at rating, because my tastes seem to vary from one day to the next, LOL. But I'll give it a try.

1. V: The new mythology suite. Yes it's cheese. But it's DAMN GOOD cheese!
2. Underworld   yup, that good in my bood.
3. Paradise Lost  indeed, above the Odyssy.
4. Iconoclast    just solid.
5 The Odyssy   great, but not tops.
6.. Twilight in Olympus  awesome, often underrated.
7. Live on the Edge of Forever  fantastically overlooked live album.
8. Divine Wings of Tragedy  great classic Sym. X.
9. The damnation game Some great tunes.
10. Symphony X.  Yeah, well....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2144 on: September 30, 2015, 06:31:33 AM »
God Tier
DWoT
V
The Odyssey

Great
Underworld
Paradise Lost
Twilight in Olympus

Good
Iconoclast
The Damnation Game

OK
SymX
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: September 30, 2015, 06:42:47 AM »
Their setlist on this tour seems quite predictable. I wouldn't mind a few surprises or old gems.. And I want to hear V/Odyssey songs live more than new stuff...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2146 on: September 30, 2015, 06:46:19 AM »
I agree with Big Hath.  I think Underworld over time will enter "God Tier".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2147 on: September 30, 2015, 08:05:20 AM »
Their setlist on this tour seems quite predictable. I wouldn't mind a few surprises or old gems.. And I want to hear V/Odyssey songs live more than new stuff...
Being a fan of their more recent releases, i am quite excited about the setlist and can't wait for the Dallas show!  I think it's a solid setlist, showcasing the new album.  It appeases newer fans such as myself.   But i can see where it would be disappointing to older fans, almost completely ignoring the older albums.  But i'm a happy camper.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2148 on: October 07, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »
Just caught Symphony X in Seattle.   Fantastic show!!!  The new album translated very well live and the Paradise lost material was great to hear too, and closing with iconoclast. My New favorite live band. I also got to meet Jammindude, we had a great time and an awesome person!  Overkill was awesome too, I never even heard them before and I was impressed..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2149 on: October 08, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »
Who else, if anyone, is going to the Dallas show Saturday?  I'll be there.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2150 on: October 11, 2015, 02:11:21 PM »
Fantastic show in Dallas last night.   They cut the set short, tho.   No Iconoclast.  Not sure why.   But sounded awesome.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2151 on: October 11, 2015, 03:29:41 PM »
I went to the San Antonio show the night before Dallas. It was a very good show but the sound was horrible. There were a couple of times that Russell where he seemed to have problems with his microphone and/or monitors. The setlist is balls to the wall, very energetic. Russell transformed when he put the masks for a couple of songs, he was like a different person. That's why he is probably one of the greatest front man/singers out there right now. The rest of the guys where in fire. I enjoyed the heck out of Rullo's drumming, very underrated.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2152 on: October 12, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »
I went to the San Antonio show the night before Dallas. It was a very good show but the sound was horrible. There were a couple of times that Russell where he seemed to have problems with his microphone and/or monitors. The setlist is balls to the wall, very energetic. Russell transformed when he put the masks for a couple of songs, he was like a different person. That's why he is probably one of the greatest front man/singers out there right now. The rest of the guys where in fire. I enjoyed the heck out of Rullo's drumming, very underrated.

I just couldn't make it down there. It just frustrates me to no end that all these guys skip Austin.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2153 on: October 12, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »

I missed reading this earlier.  My wife and I were there.  I was the dude in the black t-shirt  :biggrin:

Fantastic show in Dallas last night.   They cut the set short, tho.   No Iconoclast.  Not sure why.   But sounded awesome.

What a great show!  Yes indeed, I thought they sounded really good.  One of the best sounding concerts I've been to.

Other random thoughts:
Russell Allen is a really great frontman
Of Sins and Shadows rocked!
The new songs came across really well I thought
Michael Romeo is a beast of a guitarist
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2154 on: October 12, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »

I just couldn't make it down there. It just frustrates me to no end that all these guys skip Austin.

Yeah, San Antonio gets the better metal shows. I've only seen or two shows in Austin (The Aristocrats and Jethtro Tull) in my 3 yrs here

Sunday Oct 25th, Fates plays at that same venue in San Antonio. Got my VIP tix ready to go. And The Winery Dogs play in Dallas on the 24th...Might be a very busy weekend for me.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2155 on: October 12, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »

I missed reading this earlier.  My wife and I were there.  I was the dude in the black t-shirt  :biggrin:

What a great show!  Yes indeed, I thought they sounded really good.  One of the best sounding concerts I've been to.

Other random thoughts:
Russell Allen is a really great frontman
Of Sins and Shadows rocked!
The new songs came across really well I thought
Michael Romeo is a beast of a guitarist

oh, YOU were the guy in the black shirt!!  I thought i saw you!  :)

I was wearing a black Redemption shirt.  Stood right in front, directly in front of Romeo.  Killer show.  Got Romeo's setlist from a roadie and gave it to my son.  was hoping for a pic, but no dice.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: October 12, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
I really think Russell Allen is one of the best frontmen I've ever seen.  Very charasmatic.

I watched footage of him singing for TSO, he's a great fit for that band.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: October 17, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
Saw them last night. Incredible show, as always.

Opening band, Ghost of War, busted out a cover of Pull Me Under, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2158 on: February 22, 2016, 04:19:07 AM »
Fantastic show last night in Zoetermeer. They play Underworld in its entirety, plus some old songs. Fantastic.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: February 22, 2016, 04:23:11 AM »
Fantastic show last night in Zoetermeer. They play Underworld in its entirety, plus some old songs. Fantastic.

Wow, that's cool.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2160 on: February 22, 2016, 05:43:58 AM »
I really think Russell Allen is one of the best frontmen I've ever seen.  Very charasmatic.

I watched footage of him singing for TSO, he's a great fit for that band.

I agree on both counts. He has such an impressive stage presence and it even becomes more intense when his powerful vocals fill the place. The first time I saw them was at L'amour in Brooklyn quite a few years ago. He was talking about a sword that he had just bought and then brought it on stage. It was great. My best friend lived next door to him for a while. They still talk occasionally and he's apparently a really cool guy to hang out with. 

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2161 on: March 02, 2016, 07:37:16 AM »
I'm hoping someone somewhere posts some good-quality footage (or at least audio) of the European shows, as they are playing Underworld in its entirety.  Found some halfway-decent clips on YouTube, but (fingers crossed) something will show up on Dime or something.

This may be blasphemy, but between the three latest albums i've gotten (SymX, DT, and Redemption), the SymX is still leading as the best.  But...  The Astonishing is growing on me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2162 on: March 02, 2016, 09:22:02 AM »
V: The New Mythology Suite
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Odyssey

Twilight in Olympus
Underworld
Paradise Lost
Iconoclast
The Damnation Game

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2163 on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:43 AM »
This may be blasphemy, but between the three latest albums i've gotten (SymX, DT, and Redemption), the SymX is still leading as the best.  But...  The Astonishing is growing on me.

Yeah, if I had to rate The Astonishing and Underworld against each other, it would be neck-and-neck for me too.  I'm honestly not sure which would be my #1.  It would probably change from moment to moment and depend on whether I want a full-on metal onslaught or an epic prog-fest at the given time. 

Interestingly, both albums melt my face for about 3/4 of the way through, and then kind of peter out toward the end.  For The Astonishing, I love it through The Walking Shadow or My Last Farewell.  But even though I know the remaining songs are integral to the story and necessary for the resolution, they don't grab me as much, and I start to lose interest.  For Underworld, I absolutely love it through In My Darkest Hour.  RWTD and Swan Song don't do much for me, and I tend to tune out.  Legend is a step back in the right direction, and I like it, but sometimes have lost interest by the time the album gets there.  So, interesting parallel there. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2164 on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »
Underworld blows DT12 and Dramatic Turn Of Events out of the water for me. I also enjoyed PL and Iconoclast more than those, probably. Though Iconoclast was a bit too homogeneous, which I can't say about DT, regardless of similarities with older material.

The Astonishing, however, keeps growing on me since its release. I honestly cannot say which I prefer. Anyways, I am glad that I am more than happy with the output of both bands. DT for doing something really different and SX for returning to the many (paradise) lost elements that they do so incredibly well, whilst adding some fresh sounds as well.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2165 on: March 02, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »
While it took quite a while to grow on me and I initially didn't like it much at all, I think Charon is the strongest song on the album by a mile and one of the best things they have ever done.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2166 on: March 02, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »
For me, there's no comparison.  Underworld is one of the best things that S-X has done; TA is one of the worst things DT has ever done (imo).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2167 on: March 02, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »
Underworld is slightly better than the previous two hugely underwhelming Symphony X albums. The Astonishing is astonishing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: March 02, 2016, 11:50:35 AM »
For me, there's no comparison.  Underworld is one of the best things that S-X has done; TA is one of the worst things DT has ever done (imo).

agreed

I can't say enough good things about Underworld.  Its perfect.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: March 02, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
So far, I like TA better as a complete body of work. But Underworld's production is much better, and tracks 1-6 absolutely slay me.