Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317159 times)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2100 on: September 08, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »
The album doesn't do anything for me either.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2101 on: September 08, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
I still can't understand the love for this album. In my mind, anyone who was a fan during the TDWOT/V/Odyssey days surely can't be satisfied with such a generic metal album? Where's the mystical feeling, the dynamics? Even when the music settles down, the production is still suffocating it with that harsh guitar tone and the mechanical sounding drums.

I feel those that don't realize how kick ass this album is, are totally missing the boat.  I'm a fan of it all.  Those earlier albums are great and exclusive to themselves.  That was then, this is now.  I don't want their new stuff to sound like that anymore.  That type of sound ran its course.  I'm glad it's more metal sounding now and it's not generic by any means.  It's exceptional and I compare it to other exceptional metal albums such as James LaBrie's last two releases and Fates Warning's last release.

I like new album to the point where I don't want listen to anything else :lol seriously, I need to stop if I don't want to start hating this album.
And To Hell and Back is song of the year for me.

Oh yeah, believe me, I've already started listening to other music just so I won't wear this album out.  THAB is probably my favorite as well and there are many others pretty close to it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2102 on: September 08, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
This is, by a nose, my favorite Symphony X album.   These are the most well-developed, intricate, multi-dimensional and even moving songs that the band has produced since the glory days of "V: The New Mythology Suite" and "The Odyssey"

So awesome to hear Russell Allen actually singing in Symphony X again!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2103 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
You mean a nose hair, right?   :rollin

Yeah, RA is definitely using those pipes in more of a smooth and melodic way compared to Iconoclast.  But, I really don't mind the raspy vocals.  Although, he did overdo it a little bit on the last album.  Underworld brings it back, but I'm glad he decided use it in moderation.  Such a killer voice.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2104 on: September 12, 2015, 10:38:48 AM »
Underworld and Iconoclast are my two favorite Symphony X albums. I think they have just gotten way better and are at the top of their game. Fantastic band, can't wait to see them in Seattle B-)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2105 on: September 12, 2015, 11:28:23 AM »
Can't wait to see them next week in Buffalo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: September 12, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
Going to catch them on the 27th!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2107 on: September 13, 2015, 02:50:18 AM »
Got my ticket for their show in february over here.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2108 on: September 15, 2015, 04:06:33 PM »
Manchester next February? Would be rude not to. Going to that.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2109 on: September 19, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »
I get back from holiday to read they'll be playing Glasgow in February  :metal Can't wait to see them for the first time.  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: September 20, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »
Setlist tonight looks pretty good - 1/2 of it is Underworld... then it's pretty heavy with Paradise Lost.  Only one song from the 'big 4'.   :-\

Still gonna be great.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Krissi91

« Reply #2111 on: September 20, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »
Just saw that they have announced an European Tour and they're coming to Munich. :tup I have never seen them live before, even though I've been a fan for some time now, so I'm really looking forward to that. They will be playing in a really small venue here which kind of surprises me, I thought they would be able to fill much larger venues. ???

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2112 on: September 21, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »
I'll be at the Dallas show!!  Taking my 16-year old son with me!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2113 on: September 21, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »

ditto!  except I won't be bringing my 16-year old son.  I'm bringing my wife.  She is not 16.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: September 21, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »
They slayed it.  Couldn't care less for Overkill, and thankfully S-X was the opener last night.  in a nice theater/club that had about 500 of us there, I was standing against the barrier, front fucking row baby!

Lepond was a beast, and they had him pretty high in the mix - couldn't hear Pinnella much.  Romeo is a portly fellow.  Russell is a god.  I'd switch hit with/for him.  I think he got MY panties wet.

Great show, despite the lack of 'big-4' material. The PL material sounded great with Russell actually singing it.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2115 on: September 21, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
Awesome shots Chad. Where was the show ?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2116 on: September 21, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
Niagara Falls - Rapids Theater.  Really nice venue, and about 1 mile from the Falls, which is real easy for me to get to - only about a 90 minute drive + 30 minute wait at the border (though, no wait coming home).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: September 21, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
Sounds good, I'm checking them out next Sunday.  SX will close that show so I will check out Overkill.  I really don't know anything about them though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2118 on: September 21, 2015, 03:57:25 PM »
Great pics Chad.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2119 on: September 21, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »
Sounds good, I'm checking them out next Sunday.  SX will close that show so I will check out Overkill.  I really don't know anything about them though.
I stayed for a song and a 1/2.  I checked one album of their's on Spotify a few weeks back, not bad.  What they played though was very thrashy... not my scene.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2120 on: September 21, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »

ditto!  except I won't be bringing my 16-year old son.  I'm bringing my wife.  She is not 16.

well maybe she should be.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2121 on: September 24, 2015, 07:27:40 AM »
Any setlist spoilers you care to share?  I'm getting so pumped for the Dallas show!  And SymX is opening as well, so if i don't like Overkill, i'll just leave and get a jump on traffic!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2122 on: September 24, 2015, 07:45:20 AM »
I've seen SX 2 or 3 times and you can NEVER hear the keys in the live mix for some reason.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: September 24, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »
Any setlist spoilers you care to share?  I'm getting so pumped for the Dallas show!  And SymX is opening as well, so if i don't like Overkill, i'll just leave and get a jump on traffic!

Sure.... setlist.fm has it.  Doesn't look like there's been any variation.

The open the show with the Underworld - the 1st half of the album - straight thru to To Hell and Back.
The remaining songs are 3 from PL, and one each from Iconoclast and TDWOT.   

I did the exact same thing vis-a-vis Overkill - considering I had a 2 hour drive, it worked out perfectly.

I've seen SX 2 or 3 times and you can NEVER hear the keys in the live mix for some reason.

Even in the solo's, it was a struggle to hear Pinella.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2124 on: September 24, 2015, 08:15:36 AM »
Nice pics.  It's a shame I'll miss the show in Tempe AZ, but SX is opening that show.  Not sure why they are alternating the headliners.  Don't really care for Overkill that much.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: September 24, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
Nice pics.  It's a shame I'll miss the show in Tempe AZ, but SX is opening that show.  Not sure why they are alternating the headliners.  Don't really care for Overkill that much.

Exactly... and that's be best scenario - you go for S-X, get in before the Overkill crowd shows up, and then get out.  Precisely what I did.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2126 on: September 24, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
I'm going to the San Antonio show and they are closing. I think I've seen Overkill once and I wasn't impressed. We shall see how it goes this time. This could be my longest bathroom break ever!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2127 on: September 24, 2015, 12:55:14 PM »
Wow, I'm amazed you guys don't enjoy Overkill. They're the best thrash band live and are true to their roots. I'm upset I can't attend the Tempe show.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2128 on: September 24, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »
Key word... thrash.  Not mah thang.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2129 on: September 25, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
Key word... thrash.  Not mah thang.

Bingo.  I'll be getting out of the Dallas show early.  Might stay for the first song or two of Overkill, but not much more. 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: September 25, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »

My shot at seeing them would be in Charlotte NC; SX would be closing that show too.  If you would, please let us know how long the Overkill set is so I can know how late to show up!  Overkill's not my cup-o-tea either.

Any info you can give (or anyone else that's seen SX close the show) would be appreciated.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2131 on: September 25, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »

My shot at seeing them would be in Charlotte NC; SX would be closing that show too.  If you would, please let us know how long the Overkill set is so I can know how late to show up!  Overkill's not my cup-o-tea either.

Any info you can give (or anyone else that's seen SX close the show) would be appreciated.

I suspect they're both running about 90 minute.  S-X went on at 7; Overkill (after stage switch-over) went on at 9.  I'm willing to bet that's the setup no matter who's closing.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: September 25, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
SX's opening the show I'm going to in a couple of weeks. I've never heard a single note of Overkill (that I know of), but I most likely will stick around and check them out.

This will only be the second time that I'm going to a show and my favorite of the bands playing isn't closing. The other time was DT opening for Iron Maiden in 2010. I did stay the whole time out of respect even though I've never really gotten into IM. They were incredible. Even if a certain band/genre isn't my cup of tea, I have a lot of respect for musicians in general and seeing them do their thing live is a real treat for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: September 25, 2015, 06:01:03 PM »
I've just checked out some Overkill material as I don't know much about them.

Doesn't seem like the greatest match, but we'll see how it plays out in the live setting.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: September 25, 2015, 08:36:26 PM »
I've just checked out some Overkill material as I don't know much about them.

Doesn't seem like the greatest match, but we'll see how it plays out in the live setting.

Russell said they were big fans of Overkill. For thrash fans, I guess these guys are a pretty big deal.