Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317124 times)

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1995 on: July 29, 2015, 05:41:11 PM »
Ok, so I've listened to this album several times now, and I can honestly I'm really impressed.  It's not only the most diverse album they've done in a while; there are elements of every previous era of the band present on this album.  I can hear some stuff that is reminiscent of anything from Iconoclast back to the self-titled debut from the days of yore.  As someone who has been a rabid Symphony X fan since 2000, this could, in time, become one of my favourites from the band's discography.  Every track on here is solid, though my personal pick for the best of the lot would be Hell And Back.  That song just fucking slays.  I love the use of the Tron: Legacy theme in the opening/outro (I see what you did there, Romeo  ;) ).  There are plenty of other stand out tracks, most notably the title track, Without You, and especially Legend.  But honestly, just about every song on here is a stand out track.  If there is one weak track, it's Charon, but even that song has more good points then bad, and it seems to harken back to the likes of Eyes Of Medusa and Orion: The Hunter from the golden days.  Seriously, this whole album kicks so much ass, it's not even funny.

Thank you, Symphony X.  I've loved all your albums (though the first one is a bit of a tough listen), but I've been waiting for one like this, and you have not disappointed me. 

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:29:03 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1996 on: July 30, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
This album has done something neither of the two previous albums did:  It has, at any given moment in my day, managed to have several songs stuck in my head.  That is a very good sign.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1997 on: July 30, 2015, 02:04:17 PM »
Got my preorder a couple of days ago and it hasn't left my CD player since.

Best Symphony X disc since  "V: The New Mythology Suite"

Russell Allen sounds better than he has in years.  Finally, a Symphony X album with some actual symphonic elements back in the music.

Definitely an album of the year contender for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1998 on: July 30, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
Well howdy stranger!  Takes a great S-X album to lure you out, huh?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1999 on: July 30, 2015, 06:58:52 PM »
Apparently my roulette wasn't good enough. :\
 :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2000 on: July 31, 2015, 02:55:45 AM »
So what do you guitarists think about the Run with the devil main riff? I don't play guitar but that riff sounds so fun to play.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #2001 on: July 31, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »
Does the title track of this album remind anyone else of (a much better version of) Children of Bodom? The verses especially scream CoB.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2002 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:11 PM »
Well howdy stranger!  Takes a great S-X album to lure you out, huh?

Hey There  :biggrin:

Yeah, work is just swallowing me whole lately, with no end in sight.

Off on an Alaskan Cruise in two weeks, though  :hat

Offline adace

« Reply #2003 on: August 01, 2015, 03:01:17 PM »
New album's really been growing on me. It's fantastic!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2004 on: August 01, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
Heard it today, it was very good.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2005 on: August 02, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »
So this has been growing on me like mad, and the only song that I don't think much of right now is In My Darkest Hour. Seriously awesome album, all in all.

1. Twilight in Olympus
2. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
3. V: The New Mythology Suite
4. Underworld
    The Odyssey
6. The Damnation Game
7. Paradise Lost
8. Iconoclast
9. s/t
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2006 on: August 02, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
I've grown out of SX long ago but I still gave Underworld a listen,yeah I'm sure I'm out of it now.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: August 02, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »
I've grown out of SX long ago but I still gave Underworld a listen,yeah I'm sure I'm out of it now.

grown out of Symphony X??

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2008 on: August 02, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »

It's a condescending way of saying he doesn't like that style of music anymore.

Us children can still enjoy it though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: August 02, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
well I don't plan on growing out of amazing kick ass music anytime soon.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2010 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:35 AM »
well I don't plan on growing out of amazing kick ass music anytime soon.
Oh cool that's my favourite genre too

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2011 on: August 03, 2015, 02:36:12 AM »

Don't get me wrong,I still think that TDWOT and V are great albums. It's just that I never really feel like listening to SX anymore. SX are a very good band but their recent work just sounds uninspired to me so I just kinda stopped listening to them. I'd still love to see them live.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2012 on: August 03, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »

Don't get me wrong,I still think that TDWOT and V are great albums. It's just that I never really feel like listening to SX anymore. SX are a very good band but their recent work just sounds uninspired to me so I just kinda stopped listening to them. I'd still love to see them live.

Underworld took several listens for me to get into and appreciate, but I'm comfortable in ranking it #2 below The Odyssey. This is a fantastic album. I do like several songs on Iconoclast, but like everyone has said, it lacked singing, and Russell is singing again on Underworld. If you only listened once and scrapped it, try it a few more times. If you like the two albums you mentioned, this album should be your thing as well. It's just way heavier, but still has plenty of dynamics.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2013 on: August 03, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »
So I finally bought Underworld a few days ago and listened to it a quite a few times already and it's getting a better each time. However the album is not really what I expecting. I think there was an interview where the band said that for this album they would trim the fat and have more concise songs, but I think Iconoclast did a better job at that than Underworld. I feel there's quite a few twists here and there and some songs sometime go in unexpected directions. Like the part after the last chorus of Nevermore for example. I'm not complaining though! I was just a bit surpised the first time I listened to the album.

Also the packaging looks very nice. I really like the embossed sleeve...and I guess I'm the only one, but actually like the cover itself too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2014 on: August 03, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »
I will be talking to Mike LePond on Wednesday about Symphony X and Silent Assassins, so if you guys have any questions, let me know.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2015 on: August 03, 2015, 06:48:33 PM »
I will be talking to Mike LePond on Wednesday about Symphony X and Silent Assassins, so if you guys have any questions, let me know.
Silent Assassins was one of my favorite albums of last year.
 Why not have a live drummer? And if there's a follow up, will he use a live drummer?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: August 03, 2015, 06:58:46 PM »
 Why not have a live drummer? And if there's a follow up, will he use a live drummer?

Having said that - I reckon that was one of the most amazingly real sounding drum machines ever.  Romeo did a great job.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: August 03, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »

can you ask if there are any plans for a new live album/dvd?  Please and thanks!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2018 on: August 03, 2015, 07:30:20 PM »

can you ask if there are any plans for a new live album/dvd?  Please and thanks!!

Funnily enough, that was SX related question #1 on my mind. For a band (and especially singer) that are so amazing and consistent live, and for being on a label previously that LOVED live releases, it's mindblowing all they have is the lone live CD so long ago.

Having said that - I reckon that was one of the most amazingly real sounding drum machines ever.  Romeo did a great job.

I will touch on this for you. :)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: August 03, 2015, 07:36:07 PM »
yeah and considering that there one and only live cd was 15 years ago, I think they are do for another.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2020 on: August 04, 2015, 02:03:45 AM »
Yeah, and a DVD.  :P
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline krands85

« Reply #2021 on: August 04, 2015, 05:12:17 AM »
Would be good to find out if they have any plans for a European tour!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2022 on: August 04, 2015, 05:53:43 AM »

Yes, I have to agree with you.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: August 04, 2015, 08:05:50 AM »
Yeah a live DVD/BR would be awesome.

And I love this album more with each listen.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2024 on: August 04, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
Yeah, Underworld is a step in the right direction after the two rather disappointing releases. They've cut down the ball-to-the-wall metal aspect a bit, Russell sings more melodically, but the keyboards are still slightly buried and maybe there isn't that much prog on here, but those are minor flaws. The album has its pros and cons overall. I especially dig the streak of songs that consists of To hell and back, In my darkest hour and Run with the devil.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2025 on: August 04, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »

Underworld took several listens for me to get into and appreciate, but I'm comfortable in ranking it #2 below The Odyssey. This is a fantastic album. I do like several songs on Iconoclast, but like everyone has said, it lacked singing, and Russell is singing again on Underworld. If you only listened once and scrapped it, try it a few more times. If you like the two albums you mentioned, this album should be your thing as well. It's just way heavier, but still has plenty of dynamics.
Eh,why not. I'll give it another spin tonight.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2026 on: August 05, 2015, 08:16:24 AM »
Again, being a recent fan (and a fan of the last two albums moreso than the previous, more symphonic releases), I am absolutely loving this album.  To me, the weakest track is actually the title track.  Other than that, it's an amazing album!!  Solid performances.  The whole middle of the album, from Charon through Swansong I can't stop in mid-stride!  I have to make sure i'm someplace where i have the time to listen to that whole section all the way through.  I'm hoping to get to the Dallas show in October, never having seen them live.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2027 on: August 06, 2015, 07:04:30 AM »
As I'm not a huge fan of SX I am absolutely loving this album.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2028 on: August 06, 2015, 07:16:39 AM »
I've never really bothered to check out all of their music, but I'm definitely going to after hearing this album!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #2029 on: August 06, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
Fantastic album. It might be my favorite SX album!