Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317161 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1925 on: July 24, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
HMV didn't have it, so ordered it from amazon.  Will get it Monday.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1926 on: July 24, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
My order from Nuclear Blast is held up in Los Angeles  :facepalm: apparently LA is like the fucking Bermuda Triangle for mail packages. Ive had the album digitally from iTunes since Thursday night, but I really want a physical copy. And I REALLY dont want to have to buy this album three damn times. Its good, but I already bought it twice and thats enough for me. Has anyone else had this problem with packages getting stuck in LA? I remember lots of peoples pre-orders for BTBAM's new album getting stuck in LA and thats been 2 weeks ago.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1927 on: July 25, 2015, 05:50:59 AM »
I'm on my first listen right now, and Kiss of Fire is really awesome!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1928 on: July 25, 2015, 06:24:05 AM »
KIISSS OF FIIIREEEE :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1929 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:52 AM »
Meh.  It's slightly better than Iconoclast, but it's still a massive drop off from DWoT through Oddyssy.  Russell Allen is too good to be used in such a straight forward manner.  Only Opeth has managed to ram a bigger dildo up their own asses in terms of ruining their band lately.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1930 on: July 25, 2015, 08:15:58 AM »
I've been enjoying the heck out of this album. Romeo's guitar riffs are just insane on this record. I kind of like the combination of angry Russ and singing Russ on some of the songs. Only thing that kind of disappoints me is that the keys are buried deep in the mix on some songs. Hard to distinguish. Would of liked a couple of extra Pinnella solo's on the album as well. The intro to Legends sounds very Rush, which is I think a first for Symphony X to show this.I was reading the booklet and a lot of the lyrics were written by Romeo/Lepond. Is this a first? I thought it was mainly Romeo/Allen.

Legend's might by SyX's Pull Me Under...lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1931 on: July 25, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
well colour me surprised, I'm enjoying this album.
Russell Allen singing again. I was listening to Magnus Karlsson's Freefall and Allen/Lande (the good ones not the Tolkki crap) yesterday and loved how Russ sings on it and here he is with some great melodies to work with.

Good stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1932 on: July 25, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »
I'm liking all of these positive reviews!

Offline JLa

« Reply #1933 on: July 25, 2015, 04:14:08 PM »
First time listen, four tracks in, and I'm really enjoying this. Well done Symphony X!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: July 26, 2015, 04:11:55 AM »
Listening for the first time.  Reminds me heavily of PL, which is a good thing.  The booklet has some amazing artwork.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1935 on: July 26, 2015, 05:21:51 AM »
Meh.  It's slightly better than Iconoclast, but it's still a massive drop off from DWoT through Oddyssy.  Russell Allen is too good to be used in such a straight forward manner.  Only Opeth has managed to ram a bigger dildo up their own asses in terms of ruining their band lately.

Comparing albums to DWoT and Odyssey is hardly fair.  Those are God-tier albums.  It's virtually impossible to top those, so I've been listening with a clean slate.  I revistited Iconoclast and PL, and found them more enjoyable than I did originally (when comparing them to the previous releases.  Only 2 listens in with Underworld, and I'm really enjoying it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: July 26, 2015, 05:30:12 AM »
This seems like it's gonna take quite a few listens to really get the head around.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1937 on: July 26, 2015, 06:41:36 AM »
This album has grown on me a lot. At this time, my favorite tracks are Kiss of Fire, Charon, and Legend.

Updated Rankings:

1. Paradise Lost
2. The Damnation Game
3. Twilight in Olympus
4. Underworld
5. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
6. V
7. Iconoclast
8. The Odyssey
9. Symphony X

This album may eventually come to surpass TiO, but I highly doubt that it could beat tDG.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: July 26, 2015, 07:36:23 AM »
Wow... those are the oddest S-X rankings I've ever seen.  About the only thing we have in common is the s/t being dead last.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1939 on: July 26, 2015, 07:55:48 AM »
Well, I like my top 4 from start to finish. Every album after that has at least one major flaw that brings them down for me, even though I may prefer their very best moments to anything in my top 4.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1940 on: July 26, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
Hot damn the verse riff in Run With The Devil is groovy, some of the grooviest shit i've heard from SX.

Actually the riff after the intro is the one i'm talking about. Really cool stuff!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:43:26 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #1941 on: July 27, 2015, 05:46:57 AM »
Am liking the new album very much,and Allen's vocals are awesome,but Pinella's keys are all but missing g ! This began with Iconoclast,and has continued with Underworld.It's a shame because he can really play!On the plus side the artwork and booklet are superb!

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: July 27, 2015, 05:54:02 AM »
Still really enjoying the new album.  While I was at it I thought I would have a listen to Pinella's recent solo album and it's one of the most boring instrumental albums I have heard.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: July 27, 2015, 05:58:39 AM »
Still really enjoying the new album.  While I was at it I thought I would have a listen to Pinella's recent solo album and it's one of the most boring instrumental albums I have heard.

I'm actually thinking that about the new Satch as I listen to it for the first time.

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #1944 on: July 27, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »

Nearly picked up Pinellas's album a while back,but read some really ropey reviews of it,so gave it a miss!

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1945 on: July 27, 2015, 06:03:22 AM »

I'm actually thinking that about the new Satch as I listen to it for the first time.

The 2nd half was a lot stronger and had a bit more edge to it , but yeah...............I thought it was decent but more mood music than the sort of playing I associate with Satriani.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: July 27, 2015, 06:08:35 AM »
He's gone really soft IMO.  Stop this funky blues crap and get back to some hard freaking rock.

Anyway back on topic, enjoying the new album, even if I do feel the variety in SX's music is starting to lack.  Everything sounds pretty much the same to me at this stage, but again, you can't fault what's on offer here.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1947 on: July 27, 2015, 07:50:27 AM »
One listen in and I'm not sure what to think yet.  It will take a few more listens to see if it grows on me. There were a handful of songs that did nothing for me on first listen but are pretty awesome. I will say that Sir Russell SLAYS on this record. Probably my favorite performance of his to date. Very diverse and he really hits the necessary style for each song. From an album ranking perspective I'm not sure where this will end up. I'm guessing middle of the road though I'm pretty sure it won't surpass Iconoclast or V.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1948 on: July 27, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
...even if I do feel the variety in SX's music is starting to lack.  Everything sounds pretty much the same to me at this stage...

Really?  I had that complaint for the last two albums, but this one immediately struck me as much more diverse.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1949 on: July 27, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »
Yeah I would say this album is pretty much as diverse as their older material. On the whole it's a pretty nice album - nothing mind-blowing but solid. Very nice sound too, IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »
...even if I do feel the variety in SX's music is starting to lack.  Everything sounds pretty much the same to me at this stage...

Really?  I had that complaint for the last two albums, but this one immediately struck me as much more diverse.

Agreed with Bosk.  Not sure what you're hearing Kade.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1951 on: July 27, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »

Also, Paradise Lost is pretty good IMO. Not TDWOT good but it is more than listenable. It was even my favorite by SX few years ago. Iconoclast is not bad either but unfortunately, it's unlikely we're going to get album similar to pre-PL albums.
Also, I can't recall are there any choir sounds on Underworld but I hate those :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: July 27, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »
Am liking the new album very much,and Allen's vocals are awesome,but Pinella's keys are all but missing g ! This began with Iconoclast,and has continued with Underworld.It's a shame because he can really play!On the plus side the artwork and booklet are superb!

What? I get that he's not forward in the same way as he was in the old style, if that's what you mean, but his keys are all over every song, and often take the lead melody! Plus he seems to get a lot of duelling solos. I find he sits very well considering the style change from PL forward. It's certainly much more prevalent than, say, JR on Train of Thought.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1953 on: July 27, 2015, 12:40:01 PM »
Ok, so.

I listened to this again, and the middle basically kills the album for me. Kiss of Fire, Charon and In My Darkest Hour are all hugely forgettable. The rest ranges from good to amazing, but those three songs just draaaaaaaag.

Better than Iconoclast and the s/t, and that's about it though. Still a good album, but nowhere near the brilliance of the run that was TDG - PL.

EDIT: To end on a positive note, Underworld and Swansong are fucking killer.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1954 on: July 27, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »
I am really digging Legend, which I don't believe I have seen referenced much so far.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1955 on: July 27, 2015, 02:16:11 PM »
Ok, so.

I listened to this again, and the middle basically kills the album for me. Kiss of Fire, Charon and In My Darkest Hour are all hugely forgettable. The rest ranges from good to amazing, but those three songs just draaaaaaaag.

Better than Iconoclast and the s/t, and that's about it though. Still a good album, but nowhere near the brilliance of the run that was TDG - PL.

I agree that those are the three weakest tracks, though Charon is growing on me. Kiss of Fire is forgettable.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1956 on: July 27, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »
Ok, so.

Agreed.  Given some of the positives from other boards I'm kind of disappointed in this.  I like it better than Iconoclast but compared to their classics, no thanks.  The last two are really the only times they got me saying "wow, now this is the Symphony X that I love".  The rest I like but I would seriously be forcing it to state that I like it as much as Divine Wings - V.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1957 on: July 27, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »

I've only listened to it twice, so I need to get my head around it more.   I can tell the songs are more diverse but I think Romeo in his riffs and solos is getting a little samey.  I liking it but as I said need to listen more.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: July 27, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »
I'm loving this disc.  Very happy and impressed with what I'm hearing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1959 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »
Given some of the positives from other boards I'm kind of disappointed in this.  I like it better than Iconoclast but compared to their classics, no thanks.  The last two are really the only times they got me saying "wow, now this is the Symphony X that I love".  The rest I like but I would seriously be forcing it to state that I like it as much as Divine Wings - V.

You might have an awful handle and taste in football, but at least you know where to find the proper SyX albums.