Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317135 times)

Offline Art

Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1890 on: July 23, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »
Russell is singing again!  :metal

The album is really good, their best work for me since V.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1891 on: July 23, 2015, 11:10:45 AM »
Where would you rank the two released songs in the album, approximately?
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1892 on: July 23, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your first listen, bl5150.  I'm pretty psyched!  SX only releases an album every four years, so I'm going to savor every song during my first listen when the album arrives!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1893 on: July 23, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »
I checked the album this morning and I wouldn't say it's among their best works. However, I can't think of an album I liked at first :P
Some great songs, some, I found, familiar bits from last two albums. Maybe it's that guitar tone and even though I like it and Romeo's playing, many of his riffs on last last three albums sound samey.
But it's just first listen and I will spin it again tomorrow, surely.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1894 on: July 23, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Pretty much the same production again.. why oh why do they keep doing that. It makes the last three SymX albums sound all the same. Musically I'm liking it a bit more though than both PL and IC.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1895 on: July 23, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »
I get where people are coming from with it sounding similar to Paradise Lost and Iconoclast sonically - the vibe is definitely similar - but I think this one is sounding a lot better than both of them sonically. However, it should be noted that I'm not usually bothered by production, unless it's, like, Nattens Madrigal.

In terms of songs, this sounds better than Iconoclast and worse than PL so far, but I'm hoping that once I hit the second half that it will pick up, as Brent said that it will - currently only on Charon. Underworld is an early favourite, but no song is bad, so that's something.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: July 23, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »
90% rating from Brent is very good to hear!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1897 on: July 23, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »
Ok, so.

I finished my first listen.

And maybe I'm just not in a Symphony X mood at the moment, but the longer it went on, the more boring it got. Swansong is the one exception, that song is excellent, but other than that, there was nothing that remembered from the songs after Without You.

I'll have another listen tomorrow, see if my opinion changes. I hope it does.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1898 on: July 23, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »
Just preordered my copy at Amazon. Geez only $10! :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1899 on: July 23, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
It still feels like too much of the same 'badass' metal stuff to me.. The Odyssey introduced that some more, but that album still was proggy as hell. And I really enjoyed their neo-classical / power metal influence, even though I cannot stand that style most of the time. That's what made them unique in my book, anyway.

Have to give credit for reintroducing more clean vocals and a bit more musical diversity though.. it's just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1900 on: July 23, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »

I'm really hoping it will be available at HMV tommorow.  Seems like a release that should have a least half dozen copies ordered in

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1901 on: July 23, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »

I'm really hoping it will be available at HMV tommorow.  Seems like a release that should have a least half dozen copies ordered in
I am buying exclusively at Amazon now. The record store closest to me closed. And that was still 3 exits away on the highway. Actually buying a lot of mp3 albums, but I'm getting a hard copy of this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: July 23, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
Symphony X is the #1 best seller in metal on amazon.........thats awesome!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1903 on: July 23, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »
90% rating from Brent is very good to hear!

My thoughts exactly.  Surprising to say the least.  Looks like he's moving into mr.com territory.  ;)

I really hope I can get this instore this weekend.

Apparently the local release has been delayed a week.

Fuck.

Now there's a memorable post for #18,000!  lol

Digital download baby... will be here first thing tomorrow morning.

I thought that haha.  Yeah, I can easily download it, but with bands I know I'm gonna buy their album, I love going to the store and buying without hearing it.

It still lists on Jb Hi Fi as today is the release day though, so I'm not sure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1904 on: July 23, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »

I am buying exclusively at Amazon now. The record store closest to me closed. And that was still 3 exits away on the highway. Actually buying a lot of mp3 albums, but I'm getting a hard copy of this.

I'm gonna just spotify listen to this until September, when I go see them in concert.  They're playing in Niagara Falls NY, about 5 minutes from one of the border crossings.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline adace

« Reply #1905 on: July 23, 2015, 11:25:34 PM »
Listened to the new album a couple times now and it's very good but I prefer the previous two a bit more. My early favorite track is definitely Charon because of the awesome Middle Eastern melody.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1906 on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:41 AM »
Wolfking - Utopia emailed me today, they have the local version in stock, no delay after all.
Listening now, killer so far.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1907 on: July 24, 2015, 12:55:35 AM »
It still feels like too much of the same 'badass' metal stuff to me.. The Odyssey introduced that some more, but that album still was proggy as hell. And I really enjoyed their neo-classical / power metal influence, even though I cannot stand that style most of the time. That's what made them unique in my book, anyway.

Have to give credit for reintroducing more clean vocals and a bit more musical diversity though.. it's just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

PixelDream summarised my thoughts better than I myself could. I'll just quote him.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1908 on: July 24, 2015, 01:35:34 AM »
I wasn't such a big fan of it. It all just blurs together like Iconoclast does, although I'd say this album is better.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1909 on: July 24, 2015, 01:58:01 AM »
Wolfking - Utopia emailed me today, they have the local version in stock, no delay after all.
Listening now, killer so far.

Good stuff mate, thanks.  Just hope JB has it for me tomorrow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1910 on: July 24, 2015, 07:09:52 AM »
First listen here as well. Sounds killer so far to me.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1911 on: July 24, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »
First listen here as well. Sounds killer so far to me.  :metal

This.

I had a listen to Iconoclast yesterday.  In and of itself, it was pretty enjoyable... far better than what I remembered.  2nd Disc was mediocre at best, but the first had some really standout songs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1912 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
Listened through a couple of times now, but this is still very much "first thoughts" from me - I'll need to have listened to it quite a lot for a more settled opinion.

There's that album review cliche that basically says "If you're a fan you'll like this, if you're not a fan you won't", but it kind of applies here. People that complained ad nauseam about Paradise Lost and Iconoclast likely won't find anything significantly different here (they suddenly started sounding like pre-Odyssey Symphony X). I think there is more variety than on Iconoclast and also more of Russell Allen's "clean" singing (which were the two criticisms of Iconoclast I really sympathised with), but the overall production sound and Russell Allen's singing is still very much in line with the past two albums, I would say. If you like anything from PL and Iconoclast then there will definitely be lots to enjoy from Underworld, but if you're hoping for TDWOT part 2 then you'll be disappointed.

Personally I love PL and Iconoclast, I put them on a similar tier to V and The Odyssey as my favourite Symphony X albums, and my overall impression of this album is that it is similarly strong. My main issue is that for me, my appreciation of Symphony X is very dependent on their few very best songs (which, yes, are typically the more "epic" ones). For example I can take or leave a lot of the lesser songs on TDWOT and The Odyssey, but the epic title tracks of those albums more than make up for that. On my first couple of listens, although basically all of the songs on Underworld sound good, I'm not sure if there is an individual song that sounds like a real Symphony X great (the way When All Is Lost was on Iconoclast, which made up for the fact that a lot of the album, though solid, was quite samey). It might just take a bit of time for me to put any song on that level though. For the individual songs:

Overture  - Classic Symphony X opening similar to Oculus Ex Inferni. On first listen this sounded great and got me really pumped up for the album, but honestly I tend not to revisit these intro tracks that much. It had a great segue into Nevermore.

Nevermore - I was really impressed with this as a single - quite a standard Symphony X single, but the riff and verses are very energetic, I love the vocals of the pre-chorus and chorus and it has a great solo section. I listened to this one a lot in the past couple of months even though I try not to over-listen to singles.

Underworld - This one was very dark, very heavy in parts but with lots of keyboards. It has the feel of an epic although it's only 5 minutes or so long.

Without You - Most people have probably heard this one already. I like this one, it does add quite a bit of variety to the start of the album and the great instrumental stuff elevate it beyond a simple ballad, though it's not quite an epic Accolade status.

Kiss Of Fire - This one could fit on Paradise Lost imo, very fast and heavy from the start punctuated by choir vocals. The chorus is quite unique, based around the same fast riff and choir vocals. Good outro with a bit more orchestral and choir.

Charon - Begins with an Iconoclast-sounding riff, but overall this one was pretty reminiscent of classic Symphony X of V or TDWOT, with an eastern kind of sound. It has a great outro solo section - I wonder if it might have been better in the middle of the song, since the solo section was pretty much balls to the wall stuff, but it has space enough at the end of the song I suppose.

To Hell In Back - This is a bit of an epic, but a  purely rock / metal kind of epic rather than a more symphonic one. It's a good song but a slight disappointment for me on first listen just because of the song length tag it carried and the fact that my favourite song from every Symphony X album is either the longest or second longest. Big melodic intro, solid verse and a big chorus, a melodic solo and a soft vocal part, then a completely new section with a fast and heavy verse riff and its own big chorus, which is pretty catchy. I think this is one of the best songs on the album, it is just quite different to what I expected.

In My Darkest Hour - Not a huge amount to say about this one, a solid song on first listen though.

Run With The Devil - Not too sure about this one - the vocals in the verse sound very different, I find it hard to believe it's Russell. I don't know if they're bad necessarily, it is just weird, and it kind of distracts me from the song. It's certainly unique and energetic, not one of my favourites on first couple of listens though.

Swansong - This one was great, quite classic Symphony X, and the middle of the song especially is one of the best parts. The chorus didn't really stand out to me though, and it is a pretty key part for a song like this. If the chorus clicks for me then I think it has potential to be one of my favourites.

Legend - I loved this song from the first listen. I think it may be the real epic from the album, despite it's somewhat modest runtime. Blistering progressive sounding stuff throughout. The vocals in the verse sound a bit like 80s metal to me, which generally is not my thing, but it is good here. The chorus is pretty different, and it feels like there's quite a lot of changes in this song. There's a vocal motif in the middle of the song and at the end that reminds me of The Accolade - it is not a stripped down section like what was done in that song and When All Is Lost though, just the vocals. This was a really solid end to the album, and is probably my favourite song on first listen.

Initial Standouts:
Legend
Swansong
To Hell And Back
Charon

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:45:16 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1913 on: July 24, 2015, 09:37:33 AM »
I am confused.  Is this out today?  New album releases in the U.S. are on Tuesdays, but Amazon lists today's date.  What's the scoop?

The Odyssey introduced that some more, but that album still was proggy as hell.

Thanks for awakening my Symphony X fan pet peeve.  I HATE when people use "prog" to describe Symphony X.  I don't find them to be anywhere near the prog genre.  You were dead on in using "neo-classical / power metal influence," so I'm not sure how you went from that to "proggy" in the same post.  /rant
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1914 on: July 24, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »
Albums are now being released on Friday's everywhere. I'll download this off Amazon when I get home from work. I don't mind the Iconoclast comparisons considering I loved that album.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1915 on: July 24, 2015, 09:43:23 AM »
Well my CD arrived today and it was available to download after midnight last night... 24 July is the only release date I see for it online so I assumed that was the US release date as well as the UK one.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1916 on: July 24, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »
It's available on HD Tracks as well...although sampling is 48Khz/24bits

https://www.hdtracks.com/symphony-x-underworld

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1917 on: July 24, 2015, 10:48:30 AM »

I doubt it, but any idea if this is a different mastering?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1918 on: July 24, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »
I am confused.  Is this out today?  New album releases in the U.S. are on Tuesdays, but Amazon lists today's date.  What's the scoop?

The Odyssey introduced that some more, but that album still was proggy as hell.

Thanks for awakening my Symphony X fan pet peeve.  I HATE when people use "prog" to describe Symphony X.  I don't find them to be anywhere near the prog genre.  You were dead on in using "neo-classical / power metal influence," so I'm not sure how you went from that to "proggy" in the same post.  /rant

I'd disagree with you, but mostly because I probably have a different idea of what it means to be "prog", and that's a whole other discussion.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1919 on: July 24, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »

I doubt it, but any idea if this is a different mastering?

Not sure. I hope not but the mix so far sounds pretty awesome on CD! :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1920 on: July 24, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »
Albums are now being released on Friday's everywhere. I'll download this off Amazon when I get home from work. I don't mind the Iconoclast comparisons considering I loved that album.

I just downloaded it today from iTunes.  After the first listen, there are a lot of similarities to Iconoclast.  Not sure yet if this will be a problem for me because it's been 5 years.  After that much time, you'd think they would try to do some things differently.  People were calling Iconoclast "samey" sounding.  What do you call an album that sounds like Iconoclast?  Not sure how to feel about this album just yet...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1921 on: July 24, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
I was so wrong. Every song on the album is at least good, no fillers. Nevermore and To Hell And Back are probably my favorites so far.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1922 on: July 24, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
I have it on low in the background while I am at work, so I can't say I am even pretending to give it a good, fair listen yet.  But I am enjoying what I am hearing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1923 on: July 24, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »
Random question, but in the album booklet, the picture by the lyrics of Swan Song looks incredibly familiar. I feel liked it's based off another picture, but I can't for the life of me remember the original. Any help?

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1924 on: July 24, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »
It is going to take a few more listens for it to fully grow on me, but I am definitely liking Underworld so far. I would rank it 5th, in the dead center of their discography.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.