Author Topic: List Of Countries By Income Equality  (Read 3416 times)

Offline bss4life15

List Of Countries By Income Equality
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:23:18 AM »
https://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_inc_equ_un_gin_ind-income-equality-un-gini-index

I found this list to be kind of sad where the U.S. is ranked, below Iran and Cameroon, but we did beat Rwanda.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: List Of Countries By Income Equality
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:04:27 AM »
Err, I have the distinct impression that the higher the value, the worse for you, not the better. Any list where Namibia is the top and Denmark is the lowest begs that, me thinks.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:21:50 AM »
Err, I have the distinct impression that the higher the value, the worse for you, not the better. Any list where Namibia is the top and Denmark is the lowest begs that, me thinks.

rumborak

Yep, that's how it is. The list is based on the gini co-efficient. The higher the value the less equal income distribution.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:26:35 AM »
I  guess we can mark this one to the classic "I came along something that confirmed my preconceptions, so I shared it."

rumborak

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 05:00:18 AM »
I  guess we can mark this one to the classic "I came along something that confirmed my preconceptions, so I shared it."

rumborak

What does this have to do with preconceptions? With the ranking being the other way around as opposed to how the OP thought it was, it seems the US is ranked even lower... Or does it have something to do with him explicitly mentioning Iran, Cameroon and Rwanda?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:35:33 AM »
I don't think income equality is a measure to be considered by itself anyway. For example, Rwanda has a pretty good equality rating, but all it means is that most of the people are equally poor there.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 05:45:44 AM »

rumborak

What does this have to do with preconceptions? With the ranking being the other way around as opposed to how the OP thought it was, it seems the US is ranked even lower... Or does it have something to do with him explicitly mentioning Iran, Cameroon and Rwanda?

That's what I was mostly reacting to, yeah.

rumborak

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 06:09:12 AM »
I don't think income equality is a measure to be considered by itself anyway. For example, Rwanda has a pretty good equality rating, but all it means is that most of the people are equally poor there.

You're right. The wealth of a nation is not measured in that graph.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »

I agree there's other important factors to consider when looking at a country - being poor in America isn't even close to the same as being poor in, say, Rwanda, but technological luxuries don't do too much for ya when you need food, clothing, housing and health care, so it's still important. Wealth is power, and it does say a lot about a countries economics, and a country with a more equal distribution of wealth is more stable, and people's qualities of life are generally better (they're happier).

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:14:40 AM »
As an economist, I can say Gini co-efficients are useful to teach high school economics and thats about it. They tell you next-to-nothing.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations