Author Topic: Royal Hunt  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Royal Hunt
« on: September 01, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »
I know about 3 of you care, but this just made my fucking day!

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162679&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29

Danish hard rockers ROYAL HUNT are preparing enter the NorthPoint studio in Copenhahen to begin recording their as-yet-untitled new album for a tentative November/December release through Marquee/Avalon (Japan and Southeast Asia) and Frontiers Records (rest of the world). The music for the follow-up 2010's "X" is described in a press release as "full-fledged return to that classic ROYAL HUNT sound which put the band on the map in the first place, all the way back in 1991."

ROYAL HUNT's current lineup:

André Andersen (keyboards)
DC Cooper (vocals)
Allan Sorensen (drums)
Andreas Passmark (bass)
Jonas Larsen (guitar)

ROYAL HUNT's latest album, "X", was released in Europe on June 7, 2010 via Scarlet Records. The CD, which featured the vocals of Mark Boals (ex-YNGWIE MALMSTEEN'S RISING FORCE, BILLIONAIRE BOYS CLUB, RING OF FIRE), came out in Japan and Southeast Asia on January 21, 2010 through Marquee/Avalon.

Singer John West joined ROYAL HUNT in 1999 during the recording of the "Fear" album and he worked with the band up until its "Royal Hunt 2006" live CD/DVD.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:27:14 AM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lowdz

Re: Royal Hunt to record new album with DC Cooper
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:20 PM »
Looking forward to that. Paradox is quality. Prefer John West's voice but DC fits the band.
Fear is my personal favourite- it's probably top 20 of all time. They never matched that again for me but ev ery album is definately above average.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
Paradox is one of my all time favorites. I just wish Paradox 2 would have had DC on it.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »
Does anyone know if Silent Force is still together or if they plan on recording in the future.  I have all of their discs and am a big fan.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »
I didn't mind Mark Boals contribution also to the band.  I'll pick this new one up though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 04:14:46 PM »
Does anyone know if Silent Force is still together or if they plan on recording in the future.  I have all of their discs and am a big fan.

Well, Alex has pretty much secured his spot as a permanent member of Primal Fear.  They haven't announced it, but he's been filling in for a few years and now that Henny has left, I think he's recording guitar parts along with Magnus Karlsson, so it's say to say he's a permanent member.  So saying that, I'm not sure if he will have much time to do any more Silent Force records.  In his spare time Alex has been concentrating on Voodoo Cricle too.

You are right though, great band, Walk the Earth and Worlds Apart are amazing.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »
I didn't mind Mark Boals contribution also to the band.  I'll pick this new one up though.

Mark Boals sold it for me, probably no longer a fan.

Unfortunate.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 06:40:35 PM »
I really enjoy Mark Boals on the last two records, but to me the perfect Royal Hunt is one with DC Cooper, so I'm very excited.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »
Yeah, I think you can't beat DC Cooper as far as Royal Hunt goes, but I've always been a huge Boals fan, and follow all his work and his sound really worked well with the rest of the band.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
And today somehow managed to get awesomer.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 04:52:18 AM »
This seems to be as about an official Royal Hunt thread as there is, and the title still fits!

Sound bites from the entire “A Life To Die For” have been uploaded at: https://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=548&CDName=A+Life+to+Die+For

Sounds pretty much as one would expect from Royal Hunt.

Tracks
1.     Hell Comes Down from Heaven
2.     A Bullet's Tale
3.     Running Out of Tears
4.     One Minute Left to Live
5.     Sign of Yesterday
6.     Won't Trust, Won't Fear, Won't Beg
7.     A Life to Die For

Hopefully this either isn't the entire track list, or some of these are 'epic' length.  I'll be mildly disappointed if this is another 40-ish minute album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 06:58:41 AM »
I enjoy RH. Fear was in my top 50.
John West is my favourite RH singer. Never been the biggest fan of DCC but he certainly doesn't suck.

I didn't really get into the last 2-3 so I'll give the new one a good go on Spotify before deciding whether to buy.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
Same here, Lowds. 

Paradox is my favorite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »
John West is my favourite RH singer. Never been the biggest fan of DCC but he certainly doesn't suck.

I didn't really get into the last 2-3 so I'll give the new one a good go on Spotify before deciding whether to buy.

Have you heard any of his solo stuff?  I have the album Earth Maker and it's fantastic with a killer lineup.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »

Have you heard any of his solo stuff?  I have the album Earth Maker and it's fantastic with a killer lineup.

Yeah, i've got that in the attic somewhere. Can't remember too much about it. Will have to dig it out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: Royal Hunt (A Life to Die For out soon)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »
Doesn't seem like a lot of fans here, but I did an interview with Andre yesterday: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-andre-andersen/

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Royal Hunt
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »
There was a time when I was a BIG fan. Listened a lot to their albums. During the end of the John West era I kinda lost interested, and I followed them with moderate attention (Paradox II is surprisingly cool). By the time DC Cooper returned, I was happy of course but way past the prime of my interest with Royal Hunt.

Still, the great music they made in the past (and from what I remember they continue to do today) remains, and I'm happy for them to be still going strong.

I've launched the "albums you wished had existed" thread for line-ups ended too soon, the Royal Hunt line-up that made Moving Target and Paradox surely deserved all the success and to break it big and become very, very famous and revered.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 09:36:41 AM »
Wow, what a blast from the past. I listened to Royal Hunt many years ago but totally fell off with them... didn't even realize they released an album this year. Thanks for making me pay attention! :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »
There was a time when I was a BIG fan. Listened a lot to their albums. During the end of the John West era I kinda lost interested, and I followed them with moderate attention (Paradox II is surprisingly cool). By the time DC Cooper returned, I was happy of course but way past the prime of my interest with Royal Hunt.

Still, the great music they made in the past (and from what I remember they continue to do today) remains, and I'm happy for them to be still going strong.

I've launched the "albums you wished had existed" thread for line-ups ended too soon, the Royal Hunt line-up that made Moving Target and Paradox surely deserved all the success and to break it big and become very, very famous and revered.

While it would have been cool to see DC stay with the band John West is amazing as well and I think there is a ton of strong material with him as well. And I agree that Paradox II was thankfully a very strong follow up.

Wow, what a blast from the past. I listened to Royal Hunt many years ago but totally fell off with them... didn't even realize they released an album this year. Thanks for making me pay attention! :)

:D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »
As soon as somebody brings me some headphones ill have a listen.
They do suffer a bit from Adel Rudi Pell syndrome - everything is a bit samey but there's lots of quality.  I'm firmly in the John West camp though. Fear is awesome.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 03:05:23 PM »
While D.C. Cooper is the singer of a lifetime for the band, I agree that John West did an excellent job with them. As I said I stopped to follow them actively but I still remember many of the songs. The Mission, Days of No Trust, Surrender, Cold City Lights, Edge of the World.... Fear and The Mission as albums rank as the very best of Royal Hunt.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »
While D.C. Cooper is the singer of a lifetime for the band, I agree that John West did an excellent job with them. As I said I stopped to follow them actively but I still remember many of the songs. The Mission, Days of No Trust, Surrender, Cold City Lights, Edge of the World.... Fear and The Mission as albums rank as the very best of Royal Hunt.

You named a lot of great tunes, but Edge of the World has always been one of my very favorites.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2023, 09:43:45 PM »
For the Royal Hunt fans, Dystopia Pt. 2 is really good.  The end, "Scream of Anger", "Left in the Wind" and the short instrumental close is the best they've done since Paradox for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flqdMpDBQwg&ab_channel=RoyalHunt-Topic

This has been out since October but I didn't know about until last week.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 11:56:32 PM »
Paradox is a great record. DC Cooper never sounded better.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2023, 04:47:18 AM »
For the Royal Hunt fans, Dystopia Pt. 2 is really good.  The end, "Scream of Anger", "Left in the Wind" and the short instrumental close is the best they've done since Paradox for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flqdMpDBQwg&ab_channel=RoyalHunt-Topic

This has been out since October but I didn't know about until last week.

I enjoyed this a lot.  Played it a couple of times since its release, but it's likely to get lost in a litany of excellent albums this year.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 06:49:50 AM »
I have a love/(not hate but)ambivalent relationship with Royal Hunt. At their best I love them but some CDs feel mailed it. These two Dystopias are in my second group behind Paradox (which stands alone) and a few others. My favorites since DC's return.