Author Topic: Possible Rush/Dream theater tour in the future?  (Read 10407 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Possible Rush/Dream theater tour in the future?
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »
Remember that tour DT did with Queensryche and Fates Warning back in june/july 2003?... Nobody in a zillion years thought it would happen.. but it did.

... I rest my case.

;)
shame it won't happen again...

Geoff Taint.......
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »
If there's a DT/Rush tour, I hope that they at least invite MP out to play a song or two, so his dream can be fulfilled.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
I want a full weekend with Rush, PT, Opeth & DT.
My goodness :o. I don't know how many people I'd kill to see that lineup together

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
So they're not really interested in touring with DT?  Depressing.
Why?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
Honestly if DT opened, I'd probably go home after they played. I can only take so much Rush. Don't get me wrong, I like them and all, but I find them to be very monotonous. If Rush opened, I'd tailgate a bit longer.

Rush... monotonous?

GET THE FUCK OUT

Offline johncal

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
Honestly if DT opened, I'd probably go home after they played. I can only take so much Rush. Don't get me wrong, I like them and all, but I find them to be very monotonous. If Rush opened, I'd tailgate a bit longer.

Rush... monotonous?

GET THE FUCK OUT

Sorry, I've got a bunch of their music but I always do it in small doses.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »
. As far as I know no one has ever approached Rush about touring or performing with DT. Trust me, Geddy would tell me if they did. It's fun to speculate about a tour with these two bands, but that's really all it is at this point---wishful thinking.

Kinda weird, like I mentioned earlier when I talked to JLB about this topic back in '04, his response was along the lines of..."We've made the approach with our management people, but it doesn't seem like it will work out."  What I took from that was that DT was interested, and through management approached Rush's management with the idea.  Logistically at that time it didn't seem possible.  That's what I got out of the discussion.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »
It would be a great idea if Rush wasn't to do a mini-tour (about 4 weeks or so) for a lark. Have DT do an 75-90 minute set and Rush can do 2 hours (like they did before they switched to "evening with" shows).  DT would probably have to shy away from their really heavy stuff (although much of Rush's earlier material is heavier than just about anything DT has ever done).  The closest comparison I could make is when DT opened up for Yes on a handful of shows in 2004--and I believe Yes was also pretty much doing only Evening With shows at the time. 

Still, as much of a dream lineup it would be, I can't see the logistics coming together for this anytime soon, especially since Rush pretty much wrapped up their "lark" tour and are busy finishing the new album, and thus will likely be only touring on that material until at least 2013.
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Bravado2112

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 11:58:32 PM »
I love Dream Theater as much as most here, but some of these responses are downright scary.  Rush should open for Dream Theater?  They should Co-Headline?  They should alternate closing shows?  FOR REALS?! 

Disregarding the fact that Rush hasn't had an opening act since 1994, and disregarding the fact that there are bands bigger than Rush that would honored to open for them given their standing in the industry, and disregarding the fact that Rush is a legendary band, Rush is a bigger draw than Dream Theater by MANY MULTIPLES.  Rush averages a good 3-4X in attendance over DT and they charge 2-3 X as much.  An average Rush show in the US draws ~ 10k and grosses mid to high 6 figures (7 figures in major markets).  Dream Theater draws and grosses a fraction of that.  They're not in the same league.  Dream Theater's biggest show draws less and grosses less than Rush's smallest show. 

I love Dream Theater but for those who suggest that these 2 should Co-Headline or even that Rush should open for Dream Theater, I'd suggest a crash course in reality because you're really disassociated from it.   

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2011, 07:44:48 AM »
...stufff....

Disregarding the fact that Rush hasn't had an opening act since 1994, and disregarding the fact that there are bands bigger than Rush that would honored to open for them given their standing in the industry, and disregarding the fact that Rush is a legendary band ...

I love Dream Theater but for those who suggest that these 2 should Co-Headline or even that Rush should open for Dream Theater, I'd suggest a crash course in reality because you're really disassociated from it.  

Uhm Bigger bands than Rush that open for Rush?  I am confused

The Rush fanboy forums are > https://www.therushforum.com/  in case you perhaps lost your way there.  /love
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2011, 08:48:15 AM »
(although much of Rush's earlier material is heavier than just about anything DT has ever done).

Um. . . what?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »
...stufff....

Disregarding the fact that Rush hasn't had an opening act since 1994, and disregarding the fact that there are bands bigger than Rush that would honored to open for them given their standing in the industry, and disregarding the fact that Rush is a legendary band ...

The Rush fanboy forums are > https://www.therushforum.com/  in case you perhaps lost your way there.  /love
He is saying that there are bands who are "bigger" than Rush who would be willing to open for them.  And there was no need for the Rush forums comment.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »
(although much of Rush's earlier material is heavier than just about anything DT has ever done).

Um. . . what?
None of Rush's material, early or late, was heavier than Pull Me Under, or even Learning to Live. Rush isn't even as heavy as Learning to Live.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »

Um. . . what?
None of Rush's material, early or late, was heavier than Pull Me Under, or even Learning to Live. Rush isn't even as heavy as Learning to Live.
I wouldn't go quite that far.  But DT's heaviest songs are certainly heavier than Rush's heaviest songs.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
So they're not really interested in touring with DT?  Depressing.
Why?

Because a Rush/DT show would be Earth-shatteringly amazing.  I mean seriously, good god.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
As much as I would love this...the logistics would be too much.

Besides, rather than see DT open for Rush (that's how it would work), I'd rather shell out twice and see them both headline.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »
DT's heaviest stuff is certainly heavier than Rush's heaviest stuff, but this comment...

Rush isn't even as heavy as Learning to Live.

...is just plain wrong.  The Necromancer and Cygnus X-1, for one and for two, are both much heavier than Learning to Live, which isn't even close to being one of DT's heaviest tunes.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2011, 11:49:30 AM »
Mike would have to be invited to make a cameo if this tour happens anytime soon. I know John P would let Mike play a song. Or it would be really funny if Neal invited Mike out to take his kit.

Offline Bravado2112

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
...stufff....

I'm saying that there are bands more popular than Rush these days that would line up to open for them for a limited engagement and consider it an honor to do so if asked or if the opportunity presented itself.  Rush has an incredible amount of fans within the music industry who would gladly pay tribute to them. 

I am the furthest thing from a Rush fanboi and am not sure what at all about my post suggested I am or suggested anything other than a firm grasp on reality. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
Mike would have to be invited to make a cameo if this tour happens anytime soon. I know John P would let Mike play a song. Or it would be really funny if Neal invited Mike out to take his kit.
Why?

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2011, 04:36:56 AM »

Rush... monotonous?

GET THE FUCK OUT

Sorry, I've got a bunch of their music but I always do it in small doses.