Author Topic: Possible Rush/Dream theater tour in the future?  (Read 10408 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Possible Rush/Dream theater tour in the future?
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
But really, what's the alternative?

Umm...for Rush to keep doing what they're doing, perhaps?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »
Personally, I think Porcupine Tree, who is also on RR, would be a better choice. 

And considering that both Peart and Lifeson are huge fans of PT, if Rush did ever take someone out, PT would stand a much greater chance of being that band than DT would (assuming PT would agree to it).

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »
while it seems unlikely, I would pay a lot of money for a one-time show (maybe in NY or something)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »
Rush + PT? im game
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
That would be delightful!

It would, just to see the reaction, tweets, and message board posts of the drummer from Adrenaline Mob.   :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »
WOAH! Double headline all the way!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »
Personally, I think Porcupine Tree, who is also on RR, would be a better choice. 

And considering that both Peart and Lifeson are huge fans of PT, if Rush did ever take someone out, PT would stand a much greater chance of being that band than DT would (assuming PT would agree to it).

Agreed completely.

A DT/Rush tour would be cool, but at this stage of both bands' careers, it's not even in the realm of possibility in my opinion.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
Rush is my all time favorite band.  I'd easily pay a lot to see a one-time Rush/DT show.  That would be timeless!   :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
Will this happen? It is very unlikely.

I would, however, sacrifice my unborn son for the opportunity to see it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »
The closest I've ever come to seeing Rush and Dream Theater in the same place at the same time was Saturday, December 14 and 15, 1996. Dream Theater was playing the Birch Hill in Old Bridge on Saturday and Rush was at the Meadowlands on Sunday. (I even made myself a shirt for the occasion)

That said. I think there will be a few festivals in the future where you will see both bands on the same bill, but that's likely to be as close as it will ever come.

Offline EuropaEndlos

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:55 PM »
This would be pimp! 

I thought I read Rush is having trouble doing the 3 hour shows, and after seeing a post mentioning they play every other night now to heal Geddy's voice, why not do an hour and a half set?  Let Dream Theater and Rush both get 1.5-1.75 and if it's a real problem, have them alternate opener/closer every night if there is some ego, though I could see the guys in DT being the opening gig... 

But yeah if 3 hours a night is a lot, cut it in half Rush and it sounds pretty sweet!

That being said, yeah those diehard Rush fans who were around before DT was around and just aren't into what DT has to offer, I could see getting a little pissed...  But come on Rush has been doing the 3 hour gig for how many years now?  Surely anyone who saw Rush, saw all the songs that Rush plays anyway since they don't change up their setlist ever... 

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »
I really think Roadrunner is setting itself up for a true PROGRESSIVE NATION tour with RUSH, DT, PT, Opeth..etc
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
Not too big on Opeth and don't like PT much at all, but if they did put on a true Progressive Nation featuring those 4, I'd be so down for it that you couldn't build me up anymore.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »
its hard to tell, but rush signing with RR doesn't really mean much. the fact they they are signed to the same label as DT isn't really proof of anything. time will tell, i guess.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
i found it cool that JP posted on FB the news of Rush's signing

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »
i found it cool that JP posted on FB the news of Rush's signing

i seen him post it but you never know.

dammit you smart math ppl

help me with precalc
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 08:03:05 PM »
make a thread about it

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »
Not likely... but you never know. It would be awesome
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
So, who does RR have signed now? DT, Rush, PT, Opeth; probably four of the most significant prog-leaning bands around these days...something significant may be in the works here.

Personally, I would see a DT-Rush co-headline tour as a massive win for Roadrunner; even if they focussed on a small number of big shows noone could realistically say that wouldn't be a success. Four hours of epic goodness, I can see it now!
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline jakk

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »
This was my first thought as soon as I saw the announcement. It definitely wouldn't fit every Rush fan, but I don't think I know a single DT fan who wouldn't jump at the opportunity. Here's to hoping!

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
The funny thing is that I don't actually care for Rush all that much.  I've tried very hard to get into them, and the things I've heard are OK (mostly stuff that was also on the radio), but just ok.  So, to be honest, I'd be fine if this never happened.  I may be the only one, though.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »
I don't think it could be disputed that a Rush/DT show would do very well from a money and PR standpoint.  The question - I guess - is whether or not one or both of them see it as more beneficial to keep touring on their own.  I just don't see how the world isn't a better place if this happens.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 12:23:58 AM »
Doubtful, Rush seem to prefer touring alone.
And that's the way it should be. I never want to see another band open for Rush. I want An Evening with Rush until they can't do it anymore.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 04:42:38 AM »
Personally, I would see a DT-Rush co-headline tour as a massive win for Roadrunner; even if they focussed on a small number of big shows noone could realistically say that wouldn't be a success. Four hours of epic goodness, I can see it now!
There is simply no way that Rush ever co-headlines with DT.

If they were ever to tour, DT would be the opening act, just like they were for Iron Maiden.  There is simply no other option, and I find it incredible that anyone would think otherwise.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »
I gotta say I would sacrafice puppies, kittens and littl fuzzy bunnies if I thought it would create a Rush / Dream Theater show.

But sadly, I am pretty sure that the puppies, kittens and bunnies in the Atlanta area a pretty safe right now... I don't see it happening, Rush is a one band show.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
There is simply no way that Rush ever co-headlines with DT.

If they were ever to tour, DT would be the opening act, just like they were for Iron Maiden.  There is simply no other option, and I find it incredible that anyone would think otherwise.

This. I don't think there's a way Rush co-headlines with ANYONE. Being on the same label doesn't mean bands tour together...and thank god, otherwise we'd be talking about that great DT/Nickelback/Slipknot tour.... :P
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »
According to a dream I had last night, it's entirely possible that Dream Theater and Rush tour together.

Of course, according to that same dream, it's also possible that they play a gigantic medley together and invite me on stage to be the singer for that medley, so, y'know.  I'm not exactly counting on it.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline hacko

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
I don't think there's any chance of a tour, but maybe a one off show for some special occasion  :metal

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »
Geddy and I have had this conversation a couple of times in the past. He is fully aware of my involvement with this board, and in fact he and Alex take great delight in razzing me about it from time to time. Ged's response has been that its not really the bands style or more importanly--- preference, to play with another act on the bill; but he'd never say never, although he would say unlikely. Both he and Alex have both said they would be interested in a more festival type of appearance (not with DT, but other bands in general) if the right one came along, although Alex added "The right one never comes along.  :lol "

Just because they're on the same label, I wouldn't read too much into it. It's not like THAT has been what has been holding it back, and to imply that somehow Rush is holding such an event up, or would hold such an event up is just ridiculous. As far as I know no one has ever approached Rush about touring or performing with DT. Trust me, Geddy would tell me if they did. It's fun to speculate about a tour with these two bands, but that's really all it is at this point---wishful thinking.

Hell, who knows if even DT would want to actually do it. I mean it's one thing to be honored to share a bill with one of their heroes, but when it came down to it, would they? They might feel that Rush fans wouldn't want to see them perform on the same bill. My point is that a lot of bands are on this label, and they will never be any closer to playing together.

Would it be cool, yeah? It would be cool if Led Zeppelin got back together and did a world tour too, or if Elizabeth Bachman and her husband had a gay child; but just because Rush and DT share the same label, lets don't all go camping out waiting for tickets just yet.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2011, 03:02:22 PM »
So they're not really interested in touring with DT?  Depressing.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »
and evening with Rush/DT would take up like.. .4 days straight...this might also not help getting this one going.
also the ticket prices would be sky high as this would be a tremendous production, for light, video and so on....

i think this is one of those gigs which everybody is hoping for, and which, if it would happen could only become a let down as this fanatasy/dream than became a reality....
than the internet is flooded with stuff like......why did rush play song X, why didn't DT play song Y, why didn't they jam,and so on.
but maybe that's my way o thinking....the glass is always half full. :metal
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline jsem

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »
I want a full weekend with Rush, PT, Opeth & DT.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2011, 03:52:22 PM »
Remember that tour DT did with Queensryche and Fates Warning back in june/july 2003?... Nobody in a zillion years thought it would happen.. but it did.

... I rest my case.

;)

Offline johncal

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
Honestly if DT opened, I'd probably go home after they played. I can only take so much Rush. Don't get me wrong, I like them and all, but I find them to be very monotonous. If Rush opened, I'd tailgate a bit longer.

Offline Octavawake

• If you're sleepin', you're not gonna play anything
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2011, 06:02:49 PM »
I cannot see any negatives with DT, Rush, Opeth and PT doing some form of tour.

Absolute bliss.
He who gambles his money away is a fool! But he who believes in me will go to spend eternity in space.