Author Topic: Possible Rush/Dream theater tour in the future?  (Read 10406 times)

Offline wilgod3p

Possible Rush/Dream theater tour in the future?
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Possible Rush/Dream theater tour in the future?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
That would be delightful!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
Doubtful, Rush seem to prefer touring alone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wilgod3p

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »
yes but I think they could do a show in which none of them are the main event. They could play both 2-3 hours show. This would be awesome!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »
That is enormous news for Roadrunner Records! What a coup. That's a slice of proper rock history. You just know they'll treat 'em right. They'll have to.

I can't imagine they wouldn't try to marry the bands together at least a little bit.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »
I'd cream my pants but Rush probably wouldn't wanna tour with anyone. Dream Theater would do it in a heartbeat though.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »
I can't imagine Roadrunner and DT not wanting to do this.  Would Rush be down?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
great news!!

terribly sad for MP if such a tour happens tho...

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »
great news!!

Oh man, I didn't think about that, he'd probably go nuts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
great news!!

My first though. I can picture him eating his own kit right now.  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »
DT+ RUSH has to happen
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline emtee

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
Certainly would be a dream bill but Rush would have to take a huge pay cut.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »
In reality I can't see that happening.  Rush is a major headlining act and so is DT and both are interested in providing fans a significant amount of live music without too much compromise.  But, it would be epic if it did happen.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
I doubt it would happen but it would certainly be cool tho

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:25 AM »
Don't think so. Both Rush and DT are great crowdgetters. Putting them together doesn't generate more income..
Would be great though, but who would be headlining?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
hell what if it was just a one of show or something... or a few one off shows?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wilgod3p

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »
Don't think so. Both Rush and DT are great crowdgetters. Putting them together doesn't generate more income..
Would be great though, but who would be headlining?
they just have to raise the price of the tickets

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
I asked JLB that question back in '04, at the time he said he'd (and the band) would love too.  The problem then was getting agreement between the 2 management teams.  From past interviews I've seen with Leifson he seems keen on DT, but like others have mentioned, will Rush want an opener?  Or to be more precise, an Opener that want's more than just traditional Opener time?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
I don't think it will happen; and if it does, it will most likely be North America alone, since Rush don't really tour Europe that much.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »
I would rob a bank to see that show. As long as they didn't arrest me until after the show.

Give them each two hours, and you have a concert that I would pay literally anything to see.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »
That is enormous news for Roadrunner Records! What a coup. That's a slice of proper rock history. You just know they'll treat 'em right. They'll have to.

I can't imagine they wouldn't try to marry the bands together at least a little bit.

They also have KISS.  So Roadrunner has some experience with super big rock stars.

As for a tour, DT would love to, Rush likes doing their evening with shows.  And just because they're labelmates doesn't mean they have to tour together.

Offline PS Head

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:33 AM »
Sounds like a great idea..two of my favourite all time bands.But someone would have to headline....and for me,as great as Rush are,DT would have to go on last.Musician for musician,DT blow Rush out of the water..........................and i know im gonna get stick for this.Dream Theater are by far the more proggy,epic crowd entertainers of the two..and im sticking to it. ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »
great news!!

Oh man, I didn't think about that, he'd probably go nuts.

:rollin Bwa Ha Ha Ha

".... The God-damned REGRET !  >:( "

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »
MP reunion and rush tour?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
No MP in DT.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
What law prevents the opener playing 2 hours and the headliner playing 3 hours? I don't see the problem, other than the Rush guys looking down their noses at DT.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 11:50:07 AM »
What law prevents the opener playing 2 hours and the headliner playing 3 hours? I don't see the problem, other than the Rush guys looking down their noses at DT.

Nah, Rush doesn't look down their noses at anybody.  They just never tour with an opener.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »

Nah, Rush doesn't look down their noses at anybody.  They just never tour with an opener.

-insert Geddy Lee nose joke-

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
Rush don't look down their Geddy Lee at anyone?

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »
I got a big nose, it might be a beak, odd time signatures is what I seek, My voice is high, my bass is low, I am Canadian don't you know, I'd like to play a show for thee, look out I'm motherfucking Geddy Lee

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
I got a big nose, it might be a beak, odd time signatures is what I seek, My voice is high, my bass is low, I am Canadian don't you know, I'd like to play a show for thee, look out I'm motherfucking Geddy Lee

.......canadian rap pt. 2?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
Actually, the timing was just about perfect for DT to open for Rush back in 2007, and I mentioned this to MP. But MP said that while they'd jump at the chance, Rush weren't interested because they enjoy doing their Evening With shows - this I might add, after MP had established contact and somewhat regular communication with Neil Peart.

Even if there was such a scenario where Rush still did a 3 hour show and DT opened with a 2 hour set (or even just 1 hour), DT would have to follow Rush's pace of not doing more than one show at a time. If you look at Rush's schedule, to help Geddy preserve his voice, they no longer do 2 shows in a row, even if they play multiple dates in the same city. And then Rush usually takes 10-14 days off for every 4 weeks (or so) that they are out. Whether DT would be willing to commit to that schedule would also have to be considered. They could fill in some of the non-Rush dates with headlining dates of their own (not unlike what AdMob was doing with Godsmack), but DT only goes out for 4-5 weeks per leg with a month break in between. So again, would they be OK with changing things up? I'm guessing the answer is probably yes.

However, as I mentioned before, the perfect opportunity already happened in 2007 with nothing coming of it. The fact that they are now label mates means nothing to Rush. That said I'd put money on it, that the reason why Trivium got the opening slot for DT was because they are on the same label as DT, but considering that MP is no longer hand picking the opening acts, the DT guys probably are happy to let their label pick someone for them (bad choice, IMO, but what are you gonna do?)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:21:57 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »
It would be cool, but like has been said, Rush is happy doing their shows alone now, and I don't see them ever changing that.

Plus, and I know this will shock some, but I am honestly not sure how much Rush fans would like Dream Theater.  Their music might come off as too hyperactive for the average Rush fan, many of whom come from more of a hard rock and classic rock background, as opposed to a prog or metal one.  Not saying a lot of fans wouldn't dig DT, but I think a good portion of most crowds would be turned off by DT's sound and style.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »
Got point.  It's a dream bill for a lot of DT fans, but not necessarily for Rush fans.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »
But really, what's the alternative? They might not make every Rush fan happy, but no band will, and they are a better fit than 99% of bands out there.

This is all on Rush. Dream Theater would do this in an instant. They've always mentioned Rush as one of the bands they've always wanted to open for.

Rush would never drop evening with for Dream Theater, but if they ever decide they can't handle the set lengths anymore then Dream Theater would be an obvious, and now even more convenient choice.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1