Author Topic: Vinyl?  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Tumdace

Vinyl?
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »
So, I am going to be picking up my very first turntable soon, and need to start my vinyl collection.

What better way to start than with some DT.

So what Vinyl is available, and from where? The only luck ive had is finding SC, BC&SL, and ADTOE.

I want some old stuff, like I&W, Awake, SFAM, and even ACOS if I can.

Of course, I would ultimately like everything, but I think I read somewhere that a few albums were never released on vinyl, like possibly I&W (althought that is the album I would love most to have on vinyl).

Anyone looked into this before?

Offline TL

Re: Vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:41:15 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think ACOS, FII, SFAM, SDOIT, ToT, or Octavarium were ever released on vinyl.

WDADU, IaW, and Awake are on vinyl, but I think Awake is less than common.

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
Im having a hell of a time finding anything other than the 3 newest ones.

Offline voncorn

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:27:52 AM by voncorn »

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »
Above post is 100% correct. It's such a crying shame that they haven't been pressed yet. I will be a very happy boy the day I hold the LP edition of SDOIT in my hands.

That'd be nice!

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence as vinyl:
Side 1 - The Glass Prison
Side 2 - Blind Faith, Misunderstood
Side 3 - The Great Debate
Side 4 - Disappear
Side 5 - SDOIT (I-IV)
Side 6 - SDOIT (V-VIII)

Probably the best way to do it, and oddly enough, the album would have SIX sides.

As for the rest? Here are my best estimations as for how splitting up the albums would work on vinyl...

Train Of Thought as vinyl:
Side 1 - As I Am, This Dying Soul
Side 2 - Endless Sacrifice, Honor Thy Father
Side 3 - Vacant, Stream Of Consciousness
Side 4 - In The Name Of God

Octavarium as vinyl:
Side 1 - The Root Of All Evil, The Answer Lies Within
Side 2 - These Walls, I Walk Beside You, Panic Attack
Side 3 - Never Enough, Sacrificed Sons
Side 4 - Octavarium

Scenes From A Memory as vinyl: (LP 1 as Act I, LP 2 as Act II)
Side 1 - Regression, Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, Through My Words, Fatal Tragedy
Side 2 - Beyond This Life, Through Her Eyes
Side 3 - Home, The Dance Of Eternity, One Last Time
Side 4 - The Spirit Carries On, Finally Free

Falling Into Infinity as vinyl:
Side 1 - New Millennium, You Not Me, Peruvian Skies
Side 2 - Hollow Years, Burning My Soul, Hell's Kitchen
Side 3 - Lines In The Sand, Take Away My Pain
Side 4 - Just Let Me Breathe, Anna Lee, Trial Of Tears

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
Above post is 100% correct. It's such a crying shame that they haven't been pressed yet. I will be a very happy boy the day I hold the LP edition of SDOIT in my hands.

That'd be nice!

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence as vinyl:
Side 1 - The Glass Prison
Side 2 - Blind Faith, Misunderstood
Side 3 - The Great Debate
Side 4 - Disappear
Side 5 - SDOIT (I-IV)
Side 6 - SDOIT (V-VIII)

Probably the best way to do it, and oddly enough, the album would have SIX sides.

As for the rest? Here are my best estimations as for how splitting up the albums would work on vinyl...

Train Of Thought as vinyl:
Side 1 - As I Am, This Dying Soul
Side 2 - Endless Sacrifice, Honor Thy Father
Side 3 - Vacant, Stream Of Consciousness
Side 4 - In The Name Of God

Octavarium as vinyl:
Side 1 - The Root Of All Evil, The Answer Lies Within
Side 2 - These Walls, I Walk Beside You, Panic Attack
Side 3 - Never Enough, Sacrificed Sons
Side 4 - Octavarium

Scenes From A Memory as vinyl: (LP 1 as Act I, LP 2 as Act II)
Side 1 - Regression, Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, Through My Words, Fatal Tragedy
Side 2 - Beyond This Life, Through Her Eyes
Side 3 - Home, The Dance Of Eternity, One Last Time
Side 4 - The Spirit Carries On, Finally Free

Falling Into Infinity as vinyl:
Side 1 - New Millennium, You Not Me, Peruvian Skies
Side 2 - Hollow Years, Burning My Soul, Hell's Kitchen
Side 3 - Lines In The Sand, Take Away My Pain
Side 4 - Just Let Me Breathe, Anna Lee, Trial Of Tears

-Marc.

Awesome post!  I can't imagine having to flip the record 3 times to listen to Scenes from a Memory...defintlely reminds of of some of the benifits of having CD's/Digital Audio.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:38:27 PM »
Awesome post!  I can't imagine having to flip the record 3 times to listen to Scenes from a Memory...defintlely reminds of of some of the benifits of having CD's/Digital Audio.

Thanks! :D

I think, for albums like that, they put Sides 1 and 4 on the same LP, and then Sides 2 and 3 on the same LP, so that you could put up Sides 1 and 2 and play them both on a double-turntable, listening to the whole first half of the album continuously, then once you reach the end (in this case, "Through Her Eyes"), you'd turn over both LPs and then play the whole second half! It would be a lot easier than stopping after "Fatal Tragedy" to start up "Beyond This Life"...that is, IF you have a double-turntable to play two LPs side-by-side.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »
I have a feeling doing the actual turntable part on TGP would actually be kind of fun  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:40:40 PM »
I have a feeling doing the actual turntable part on TGP would actually be kind of fun  :lol

Conversely, actually bumping into the turntable at the end of "Finally Free" and creating the static in real life!

-Marc.

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 09:41:53 PM »
I have a feeling doing the actual turntable part on TGP would actually be kind of fun  :lol

Conversely, actually bumping into the turntable at the end of "Finally Free" and creating the static in real life!

-Marc.

:lol

Nice! Is Scenes your favorite?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
And correct me if I am wrong, but is this correct?

Awake:
Side 1 - 6:00, Caught In A Web, Innocence Faded
Side 2 - Erotomania, Voices, The Silent Man
Side 3 - The Mirror, Lie, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
Side 4 - Scarred, Space-Dye Vest

Also, I assume that the first two albums each fit onto one LP, split down the middle (4 tracks on each side?). If so, that means Side 2 of IAW crams about 30:33 of music on to it, where as usually most vinyls fit at most 26 minutes on to each side before the sound becomes worse. Was vinyl made to hold 30 minutes of music by the time IAW came out, without losing too much of the sound quality?

-Marc.

Offline SlickSy

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 05:39:01 AM »

Awake:

Also, I assume that the first two albums each fit onto one LP, split down the middle (4 tracks on each side?). If so, that means Side 2 of IAW crams about 30:33 of music on to it, where as usually most vinyls fit at most 26 minutes on to each side before the sound becomes worse. Was vinyl made to hold 30 minutes of music by the time IAW came out, without losing too much of the sound quality?

-Marc.

I've just checked my DT vinyls and yes you've got the Awake track layout right. As for the first two albums, again, you're correct. The first two albums have one LP with 4 tracks on each side.

EDIT:

And is case anyone is interested, here's a pic of my DT vinyls. (I've excluded the LPs in the deluxe boxset)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:01:38 AM by SlickSy »
Quote from: Mikael Åkerfeldt
We are heavy metal... but with some beautiful acoustic parts. Some people say that's pussy. Those are the people that get no pussy.

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »

Awake:

-Marc.

I've just checked my DT vinyls and yes you've got the Awake track layout right. As for the first two albums, again, you're correct. The first two albums have one LP with 4 tracks on each side.

EDIT:

And is case anyone is interested, here's a pic of my DT vinyls. (I've excluded the LPs in the deluxe boxset)

Where did you get your collection from? I just ordered the last 3 albums from RoadRunner records, I found I&W in Korea for like 80 bucks. Not sure if its legit, and it looks used.

Is there a place to get all that stuff brand new?

Offline SlickSy

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
All the vinyls pre Systematic Chaos are out of print so you won't find them anywhere brand new unless you can obtain sealed copies if you're lucky. You can see that I have two "Lie" 12 inch singles, one of which is sealed. I picked up most of my vinyls off of eBay. The Awake and Live at the Marquee vinyls were the hardest to find for me. The Images and Words vinyl I have is Korean and it seems to be the most popular pressing of that vinyl in circulation so it should be legit. So really I would suggest you just hunting until you find them. Thats how I got mine. Good luck!
Quote from: Mikael Åkerfeldt
We are heavy metal... but with some beautiful acoustic parts. Some people say that's pussy. Those are the people that get no pussy.

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »
All the vinyls pre Systematic Chaos are out of print so you won't find them anywhere brand new unless you can obtain sealed copies if you're lucky. You can see that I have two "Lie" 12 inch singles, one of which is sealed. I picked up most of my vinyls off of eBay. The Awake and Live at the Marquee vinyls were the hardest to find for me. The Images and Words vinyl I have is Korean and it seems to be the most popular pressing of that vinyl in circulation so it should be legit. So really I would suggest you just hunting until you find them. Thats how I got mine. Good luck!

The thing is, if I can find a sealed I&W vinyl, theres no way in hell that I'm going to open it. Not unless I'm on my deathbed.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
I'm getting a turntable soon for my ADTOE vinyls, now on the hunt for the other Dream Theater albums. I know this old record store in my previous hometown, so I'm going to check that one out. Try places like that, old stores with lots of stuff basically.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »
Called every store in a 1 hour drive.

Only thing that popped up was Systematic Chaos, for like 50 bucks. Ordered it from RoadRunners for 22 (along with BC&SL, and ADTOE for 35 shipping).