Author Topic: DT16 Timeline Thread - MP finished recording drum parts, recording continues  (Read 97068 times)

Logain Ablar and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Mladen

I've never thought there was anything particular to dislike about Out of reach. Sure, it's not their best ballad, but it's still very good. I don't hear anything terrible or offensive in it.

Offline Trav86

I've never thought there was anything particular to dislike about Out of reach. Sure, it's not their best ballad, but it's still very good. I don't hear anything terrible or offensive in it.

This. I can understand it not being someone’s favorite song. I don’t, however, understand why someone can’t see how anyone else would like it. Why is it THAT bad??
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
The song shows great restraint as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
POW is awesome! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Out Of Reach is one of the song that similar to Kevin Moore sound which I like. Especially this haunting vibe.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Funny, I think Out of Reach is one of their best ballads ever and that JLB did an awesome job with the lyrics and the studio recording.

I agree 💯 It's got a certain energy, as slow songs go. I love it, it's on my live bucket list.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
POW is awesome! ;D

Again agree completely.

I'm starting to consider waving a Tim-flag or tattooing Tim allover me.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I agree 💯 It's got a certain energy, as slow songs go. I love it, it's on my live bucket list.
I loved it on first listen and, as a bonus, it has a really cool drum pattern on it, kind of reminescent JLB's Smashed.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I don't understand what would make one better than the other.
Nothing.

You can analyze things to death, but at the end of the day, people like what they like and dislike what they dislike, and since it's all subjective, there isn't really any rational reason a lot of the time.  Sometimes there are things you can point to that separate a song or an artist, but that very thing can be what infuriates other people about that same song or artist.

It is what it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I can point to one thing I don't like specifically about OoR (even while still admitting the main piano line is nice). I don't know enough music theory to know what it's called, but it's the specific chord thing at 0:50, 1:32, 2:27, 2:41, and 3:19. I really think that chord change is so corny. That thing was all over TA as well, and is part of why that album feels so uninspired to me.

Of course I know that this is too just a personal opinion without rational justification, but that that is something I point to that actually bothers me. Not a very big thing, but still.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 10:23:47 AM by BlackInk »

Offline nick_z

Like, what makes someone like Wait For Sleep more than Far From Heaven? or Out of Reach? or Chosen? or vice versa...

Well, if we are going into specific examples, for me Wait for Sleep has an incredibly memorable main piano theme and fantastic vocal melodies...Far From Heaven I feel was a similar attempt at an "intro" piece to an epic and, while pleasant, it's way less memorable and kinda "there" (musically speaking). To my ears, at least  :)

Oh, and I'm in the "I like Out of Reach" camp. Real nice guitar/piano interplay.

Offline Dream Team

Wait for Sleep also has better vocals and lyrics.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Sorry to re-spark the war, but I really like Out Of Reach except for the primary criticism I have of the Mangini era. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm starting to consider waving a Tim-flag or tattooing Tim allover me.

A flag will do.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

Sorry to re-spark the war, but I really like Out Of Reach except for the primary criticism I have of the Mangini era.

The bass drum?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
The bass drum?

Yup.  I get it, we're a prog metal band known for our musicianship, but the song is a step back and yet the drums don't relent.

Offline gborland

That is also the problem with Chosen.

It starts out as a really nice ballad, and then these Heavy Metal Drums come in and explode all over everything and completely ruin it.
Graham Borland

Offline pg1067

I really dig OOR.  I don't care for what's being played when the drums first come in (not the sound, but what he actually played), but for the rest of the song, they really fit the build of the song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
I can point to one thing I don't like specifically about OoR (even while still admitting the main piano line is nice). I don't know enough music theory to know what it's called, but it's the specific chord thing at 0:50, 1:32, 2:27, 2:41, and 3:19. I really think that chord change is so corny. That thing was all over TA as well, and is part of why that album feels so uninspired to me.

Of course I know that this is too just a personal opinion without rational justification, but that that is something I point to that actually bothers me. Not a very big thing, but still.

What I think your time stamps refers to is an extremely common harmonic move. The song is in a minor key and this is the VI to the VII (or IV to V in the relative major key) with a couple extra notes in there called 'suspensions.' At its core, it is one of the most common chord changes in Western music in a ton of DT songs including on I&W. The suspensions give it a sound that is more Proggy...it's a sound all over Rush's music too. And probably everyone else's.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Yeah, it's probably just because it's so common that I think it sounds so corny and uninspired. Obviously this is just a taste-thing, but if I found myself writing a section that naturally led to that, I would just immediately scrap the entire section or rewrite it to specifically avoid that change. It sort of flew under the radar for me for a long time in DT's music, until TA, where it was everywhere and gave me the feeling that the songs all sound the same, and relied on the same old tricks. Now I can't not hear it whenever they do it.