Author Topic: VMAS 2011  (Read 2785 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
VMAS 2011
« on: August 28, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
I know that not many of you care about it... but the opening by Lady Gaga Ft. Brian May could be, quite possibly, the best moment in pop history.

Lady Gaga slayed!!! It was amazing!!!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: VMAS 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
pls go

i didnt know you still posted here

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
That was Brian May? WTF. I didn't even recognize him. In DTF Facebook chat I referred to him as "some guy who looks like Beethoven on guitar."
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »
That was Brian May? WTF. I didn't even recognize him. In DTF Facebook chat I referred to him as "some guy who looks like Beethoven on guitar."
Dude... :|

Dude.... no.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
When did his hair go gray? I think that's why I didn't recognize him.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
lolvma
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »
When did his hair go gray? I think that's why I didn't recognize him.
:slayer: When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now, would you still send me a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine? ...Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four? :slayer:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 10:46:19 PM »
Damn, I was so sure this would be a Vlasto thread.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
Lil Wayne's closing performance was one of the worst things to ever happen in music.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »
Lil Wayne's one of the worst things to ever happen in music.
Fix'd.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 12:36:54 AM »
Oh Brian May, shame on you. Who do you think you are, Jimmy Page?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 01:27:10 AM »
Oh Brian May, shame on you. Who do you think you are, Jimmy Page?
:rollin

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 02:06:10 AM »
Ok, seriously though, I just watched Lil Wayne's VMA performance. And, I've gotta say, there's some serious problems with American Pop Culture. Let's do a recap:

Lil' Wayne walks out, sings his newest hit but his voice is so processed no-one really knows whether he's really singing or it's a backtrack. Then, suddenly, he says "My name is Lil' Wayne" takes his shirt off and the band who no-one can really see break into Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." He raps over that for awhile, and the censors start going crazy so people watching have no idea what he's saying, they just see a dude jumping around with pants around his knees. The chorus of the song kicks in and he jumps into the crowd to shake hands with people while his vocals continue in the background, further highlighting the complete farce that the performer is actually performing. Then, he runs back on stage, picks up a guitar that might be plugged in, violently strums an open chord for a couple of seconds, does a pick slide, and then smashes it into the ground. Throughout the entire thing, the censorship is going crazy so no-one can really hear anything anyway.

Does anyone see an issue there?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:58:21 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 02:15:30 AM »
Ok, seriously though, I just watched Lil Wayne's VMA performance. And, I've gotta say, there's some serious problems with American Pop Culture. Let's do a recap:

Lil' Wayne walks out, sings his newest hit but his voice is so processed no-one really knows whether he's really singing or it's a backtrack. Then, suddenly, he says "My name is Lil' Wayne" takes his shirt off and the band who no-one can really see break into Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." He raps over that for awhile, and the censors start going crazy so people watching have no idea what he's saying, they just see a dude jumping around with pants around his knees. The chorus of the song kicks in and he jumps into the crowd to shake hands with people while his vocals continue in the background, further highlighting the complete farce that the performing is actually performing. Then, he runs back on stage, picks up a guitar that might be plugged in, violently strums an open chord for a couple of seconds, does a pick slide, and then smashes it into the ground. Throughout the entire thing, the censorship is going crazy so no-one can really hear anything anyway.

Tupac's assassin showed up 15 years early?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 02:16:55 AM »

I see so many issues.  There's no redeeming quality to it whatsoever.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »
Why did mainstream hip hop devolve into this shit over the last 20 years or so?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 04:23:29 AM »
Because the Illuminati took control.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 05:25:56 AM »

Lil' Wayne walks out, sings his newest hit but his voice is so processed no-one really knows whether he's really singing or it's a backtrack. Then, suddenly, he says "My name is Lil' Wayne" takes his shirt off and the band who no-one can really see break into Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." He raps over that for awhile, and the censors start going crazy so people watching have no idea what he's saying, they just see a dude jumping around with pants around his knees. The chorus of the song kicks in and he jumps into the crowd to shake hands with people while his vocals continue in the background, further highlighting the complete farce that the performer is actually performing. Then, he runs back on stage, picks up a guitar that might be plugged in, violently strums an open chord for a couple of seconds, does a pick slide, and then smashes it into the ground. Throughout the entire thing, the censorship is going crazy so no-one can really hear anything anyway.

Oh my God, I have to see this. :lol Is it on YouTube?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 10:49:52 AM »

Oh my God, I have to see this. :lol Is it on YouTube?
This (and I have no idea who he is) :lol
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:55:06 AM by reneranucci »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 11:09:43 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
For anyone who doesn't know who Lil Wayne is (how I envy you), this is a guy who constantly proclaims himself "the best rapper alive." And people like to corroborate that with the evidence being "well, he says it a lot, so it must be true."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
Is that supposed to sound pitch corrected to hell as part of the sound, or is he just that shit at singing a melody that they had to set it to "lol"? Fucking awful, and I'm only part way through.

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »
Is that supposed to sound pitch corrected to hell as part of the sound, or is he just that shit at singing a melody that they had to set it to "lol"? Fucking awful, and I'm only part way through.

The autotune sound has become an entire genre of singing, yes it's part of the sound.

Thanks Cher.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTurfn7vvCk&ob=av2e

I'll never forgive Korn for taking part in that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »

The autotune sound has become an entire genre of singing, yes it's part of the sound.

Thanks Cher.

How the hell can anyone listen to that? It's just wobbling between notes like mashing random notes on a keyboard, because he's out of tune. What's the point of singing it at all? It has no expression or style. It's garbage.

And I've never seen this dude before. So Lil Wayne = Urkel + Pitch correction unit + dreadlocks?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 12:28:38 PM »
Kanye West may have just given up the title of "Greatest Douchebag Alive" after that "performance".

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
I like the idea of no host, probably made it go faster too. I have no idea what the deal with dressing like an 80s video game character is (ie katy perry and that nicki chick). Gaga was funny and can seriously stay in character - quite impressive.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
didnt think lady gaga was special at all, and im not a gaga hater. just didnt see the big deal in that performance. pretty convincing man though. brian may was cool to see though

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 12:48:22 PM »
Didn't watch, the only thing I was interested in was if foster the people won best new artist. I checked online and they didn't.

Fuck this world.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »

Thanks Cher.

How the hell can anyone listen to that? It's just wobbling between notes like mashing random notes on a keyboard, because he's out of tune. What's the point of singing it at all? It has no expression or style. It's garbage.

It's been used as a vocal effect to probably around 2 decades.  People think it sounds good.  No biggie.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »
Just watched the Mister Gaga performance.

I thought it was awesome. She is DAMN creative, and a great singer. I have no idea why so many people complain about her, she's brilliant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 12:56:37 PM »
Just watched the Mister Gaga performance.

I thought it was awesome. She is DAMN creative, and a great singer. I have no idea why so many people complain about her, she's brilliant.
ALL OF THIS.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 01:01:19 PM »
the acting in the beginning was dumb. it was only 'cool' cause it was gaga i guess

Offline Adami

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 01:02:28 PM »
the acting in the beginning was dumb. it was only 'cool' cause it was gaga i guess

It was cheesy sure, but in that genre, it's more about performance than just going up there and playing songs. Hell I don't even know if any music was actually played during the Little Wayne bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com