Author Topic: Recommend me some new headphones.  (Read 2353 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Recommend me some new headphones.
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:18:29 AM »
I love my current headphones, but I fear their days are numbered. The cord has been bent back and forth so many times that it's worn all the way through at one spot back to bare wire, and although they're working perfectly for now, I don't think they'll last much longer before it's Old Yeller time, so I am reluctantly looking at my options for that fateful day.

These are my current headphones-
https://www.philips.co.in/c/headphones/mid-range-clarity-shp2700_97/prd/

They cost me $50 on eBay when I bought them a couple of years ago, and I love dems. They're all I use for my PC, so I wear them all the time. I'm looking to replace them with something of at least as good sound quality, somewhere in the $50 - $100 price range, so nothing too high end. Aside from checking the frequency range, I don't really know what I'm looking at for headphones, and which brands are better/worse in that price range.

Any suggestions? :)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
Re: Recommend me some new headphones.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »
These are the ones I use.  I've had them for about 5 years now and they've stood up pretty well.  Definitely high quality for a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
They look great, although depending on where I get them, they seem to push my budget a little bit further than I intended. But since that's only a self imposed budget, I'll definitely keep them as a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »
I have the SRH840 (Shure) and I love them! :tup

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
They look great, although depending on where I get them, they seem to push my budget a little bit further than I intended. But since that's only a self imposed budget, I'll definitely keep them as a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion.

One other nice thing about them is that you can supposedly replace individual parts.  I've never had to, so I've never looked into it, but I would imagine that's something that might help save money in the long run (assuming the parts are easy to find)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »

One other nice thing about them is that you can supposedly replace individual parts.  I've never had to, so I've never looked into it, but I would imagine that's something that might help save money in the long run (assuming the parts are easy to find)

Yes, I believe I saw some replacement parts when I was checking prices on eBay, including the cord. Considering the only problem with my headphones is the cord, that's a point to consider in the long term. Aside from that, I take care of my stuff, and they'd last me a while.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
This may just be the most common thread topic in the history of this forum. Someone should fetch the obligatory compasrison picture :P

EDIT: Got it:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
:lol Thanks. That looks perfect. Didn't think anyone would have bothered to put together something like that for every price range like that. Very nice.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
This is about the definitive source on headphone matters.  https://www.goodcans.com/

I emailed the guy about something a few years back, and he's a helpful chap.  If you peruse his site, you'll see that Grads and Senheisers pretty much top any list.  Grado actually makes some seriously highly regarded sub-$100 headphones.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
I bought mine couple of months ago... and did a good research first.. I really wanted a good sound. Ultimately, I could narrow it down to two brands: Dr. Dre and Bose... but as you might guess they were both very expensive options....
Then I found these

very good value for money... I love my headphones!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »
poor BOSE. They sure take a pounding from audiophiles who don't think they make good stuff. I have a bose factory system in my car and it's fine.

B-uy
O-ther
S-ound
E-quipment
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:24:01 PM »
Though I tried the 500$ beats by dre ones at BEST BUY...and holy sweet fuck.......

I honestly rage every time I see someone with Beats. They're really not very good at all. People just buy them for the name.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline drpez98

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »
I use these

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 12:33:03 PM »
poor BOSE. They sure take a pounding from audiophiles who don't think they make good stuff. I have a bose factory system in my car and it's fine.

B-uy
O-ther
S-ound
E-quipment
No highs?  No lows?  Must be BOSE.

Personally,  I think they mike fine stuff.  I just think the mark up for the BOSE name is too steep.  Still, you have to give them credit for some rock solid innovation over the years.  I actually remember walking into a store and hearing an Acoustimass system for the first time and being completely blown away. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »
poor BOSE. They sure take a pounding from audiophiles who don't think they make good stuff.

Really? well I'm surprised... what I've been hearing over the years was exactly the opposite... people LOVE Bose around here.... maybe it's geographical... who knows....

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »
poor BOSE. They sure take a pounding from audiophiles who don't think they make good stuff.

Really? well I'm surprised... what I've been hearing over the years was exactly the opposite... people LOVE Bose around here.... maybe it's geographical... who knows....
Part of it is the notion that they're over-rated, and part of it is that over here people like to criticize anything they can if it can be done by way of an witty acronym or rhyme. 
E.F. Benson

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
^^^ Ahahahah  :lol :lol :lol
Buy Other Sound Equipment
Better Off Somewhere Else    

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »

Offline TL

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
From my experience, you can't go wrong with Sennheiser.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
I'm currently using Dre Beats earphones. They're noise isolating rather than cancelling but the sound is still fantastic. Really full bass without compromising the highs. I also have a pair of Goldring headphones but I tend to use them only in winter because they're basically musical ear muffs.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
I'm currently using Dre Beats earphones. They're noise isolating rather than cancelling but the sound is still fantastic.

Of course Dre rocks!

I also have a pair of Goldring headphones but I tend to use them only in winter because they're basically musical ear muffs.

:lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
The Sennheiser HD280 looks really good, but it looks like it's a bit out of the price range for what I wanted. Same with the Grado. Both will cost me over $100, once you factor in shipping etc.
The Sony MDR-V6 are just within my intended price range. Anyone have any experience with those? They seem to be pretty good, although I don't trust any design that old. :lol

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
I can second the Sennheiser HD280 suggestion, they really are great. I managed to get mine on eBay for ~$60.

Offline TL

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »
The Sennheiser HD280 is definitely good.
Currently, I'm using a Sennheiser HD428. They're usually around $100 CAD, but I've seen them go for around $70-$80 at some places. Excellent quality, especially for the price. Fantastic sound, great build quality, and very comfortable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
I can second the Sennheiser HD280 suggestion, they really are great. I managed to get mine on eBay for ~$60.

Was that new? The main problem for me is that the shipping from overseas kills me, or I buy them here for a ridiculous price that cancels out the saving on shipping.