Author Topic: nevermind  (Read 7082 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: nevermind
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
Talking about a mod doing his job badly isn't allowed? Figures.

Are you just trying to get banned now?  Because, honestly, this whole thing could have easily been avoided.  As in the past, when called out on behavior that doesn't cut it here, a response that would put you in good standing never happens, and instead, you respond by throwing a fit.  If that's how you want it handled, fine.  Your call.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aniland

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
Yeah, I am. Like I said, just delete my account. Everyone will be happier that way.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
I'll miss his spam threads. Some of them were kinda funny.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
 :facepalm: This board has a lot of drama sometimes. *Remembers SeRoX*
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »
Not to go off-topic, but...

Yeah, I am. Like I said, just delete my account. Everyone will be happier that way.

I don't think you're a bad poster by any means.  I think you just have the tendency to start a new thread about anything that pops into your head, which is a source of amusement for a lot of us, but I don't think it means you are a bad poster or a bad guy or anything.  But whatever.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »
I agree Kev, which is why I am upset that Aniland chose to go out this way...

But in other news... I do not really agree with that posters comments, but I can slightly, slightly agree about the song structure, sometimes.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »

I don't think you're a bad poster by any means.  I think you just have the tendency to start a new thread about anything that pops into your head, which is a source of amusement for a lot of us, but I don't think it means you are a bad poster or a bad guy or anything.  But whatever.

I agree with this, however this thread was NOT one of those as evidenced by the page and a half of valid discussion. Honestly I had a few things to say on the subject, but I can't now because bosk and hef think this isn't worthy of any discussion.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
 :corn
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
Actually, bosk said if we wanted to discuss the topic we should go ahead.

I think it's very interesting to see outside perspectives like the (original) OP's.  Before coming to the DTF, I never had much discussion about Dream Theater, except with a couple of friends who were fans.  So I've never really had discussions with Dream Theater 'haters'.  The only people I've really discuss DT with are DT fans, so it's easy for me to forget that not everyone thinks DT is the greatest band in the universe.  I often forget that for a lot of people, sheer musical talent isn't enough to make a band enjoyable.  So when I read the OP, I thought it was interesting to see that even though he acknowledged the musical prowess of each band member (aside from JLB), he still didn't like their creative output. 

And while it's true that his post was largely opinionated and subjective, I still think he expressed himself rather well.  And I'm not sure what would be so objectionable about any of his opinions in the first place.  Most of those opinions, I've seen expressed to some degree by members of the DTF. 

He accused Dream Theater of being self-indulgent and pompous, of 'wankery.'  Well, I've heard the word 'wankery' a lot on this forum, and also the term 'self-indulgent.'  I think most people on this forum can agree that at least one Dream theater song soloes just for the sake of soloing, even if we don't all agree on WHICH song does this.

He says he doesn't like JLB as a vocalist.  Well, I personally disagree, to an extent.  I think JLB's vocals on the studio albums are fantastic.  But from what I've seen of their live performances, JLB is often pretty hit-or-miss.  I've seen plenty of moments where his voice almost broke, or where he seemed strained.  So, again, the OP’s opinions seem fairly valid to me, even if I don’t agree overall.

Admittedly I’m not sure what he meant about song structure.  But that’s basically because I never know what anyone means about song structure; I’m ignorant about that kind of thing. 

Basically, it seems to me that all the OP was guilty of was expressing valid opinions in a slightly rambling way.  Which is something I myself have been guilty of from time to time, so I’ve no room to judge.

I thought that what the guy had to say was pretty interesting, myself.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »
I would like to discuss the topic, but I can't see the OP now.
I AM A GUY

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »

Aniland is the one that did that though...

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2011, 12:30:51 PM »

On page one, ElliottTamer made a post which provided several quotes from the post in the OP.  If that helps at all.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
Sorry--I was going to respond further, and then got called away by a phone call.  Since the original post was deleted, it's hard to have a discussion about the topic, so I don't see a point in the thread continuing now.  Again, not a very mature move as far as I'm concerned.  But whatever.

Aniland, even though your comments were out of bounds, I'm not going to ban you unless you continue to push the issue.  I would recommend you just step away and take some time to cool off.  Try to realize that neither me nor the mods are out to get you, but we ARE out to make sure the forum is run the way I want it run, whether you agree with that or not.  Think about what was said to you in the thread, whether you happen to agree with it or not, and then decide how you want to handle this going forward.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »
Honestly I had a few things to say on the subject, but I can't now because bosk and hef think this isn't worthy of any discussion.
I didn't say that the topics discussed weren't worth discussing.  Anyone here can start such a thread.  Go ahead.  I just wondered why anyone on this forum cared about what someone on any other forum said about, well, anything.  It was a question.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.