Author Topic: nevermind  (Read 7083 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
So basically, he has a shitty opinion.

This... exactly

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
EDIT: Yeah, I never understand the criticisms of JP's soloing. Sure, there are some overly technical clunkers from him, but people who think he's all shred and no emotion just must not have heard 8V, TBOT, TMOLS, SDOIT, LTL, etc. etc. In fact, I really haven't heard many shreddy metal guitarists who have such a high frequency of truly emotional and tasteful solos. I mean, compared to the Yngwies and Michael Romeos of the world, JP is David Gilmour.

This is what sets JP way apart from the other popular shredders imo. I could point out a whole bunch of great solos that are thoroughly tasteful with emotion and melody. Goodnight Kiss, Octavarium, Voices, LitS, Anna Lee, Hollow Years, Peruvian Skies, These Walls, Repentance, TCOT outro, and more to come. Listen to Petrucci on G3 side by side with Vai and Satriani, and the difference in taste and style is night and day.

Do you think that Petrucci plays more tastefully than Vai and Satriani?

Yeah, I thought that was pretty clear. Go and watch that G3, and it speaks for itself.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
The thing is about Dream Theater is that, at times it really feels like they took the worst, most pompous aspects of old progressive rock and metal bands and just ran with it.

He says that like it's a bad thing.

Offline Bill Carson

As big of a JP fan that I am I have to say something here;

When Vai & Satch are in tasteful mood they are in a different league really.
You see its one thing to play an emotional, melodic line that fits a song perfectly, its quite another to create a unique voice with the guitar that goes far beyond tasteful playing.

Which is why they are Pioneers, whilst JP is a fantastic exponent of modern playing. And that's the main difference.
There are many great players but not many pioneers.

And you know something...I think JP would be the first to agree.

p.s
I have seen G3 many times & what I saw was...Two sorcerers & their apprentice

Offline Jinova

Its pretty obvious to me that this guy's drunk uncle got a little too affectionate at family gatherings.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Its pretty obvious to me that this guy's drunk uncle got a little too affectionate at family gatherings.

Good God, what is this?!
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline gabeh1018

being a guitar player, I'd take jp's soulful playing over vai and satch anyday now, but vai and satch are better at writing instrumental guitar tracks for that strict pirpose. I still think  JP is a better songwriter.

Offline reo73

• Banned
I think Vai does the emotional shred thing about as well as anyone can.  I don't think JP touches Vai in this area and personally I am not a fan of JPs improvised solo moments, G3 included. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Why do we care what someone else on some other forum thinks about DT?

Comments like this really annoy me. We're not discussing whether that member should like DT. People are discussing his commentary to find whether his criticisms are valid or not. Analyzing opinions never found on this forum can be fascinating, and it might bring up good debates about he levels DT should be appreciated objective vs subjectively.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Comments like this really annoy me. We're not discussing whether that member should like DT. People are discussing his commentary to find whether his criticisms are valid or not. Analyzing opinions never found on this forum can be fascinating, and it might bring up good debates about he levels DT should be appreciated objective vs subjectively.
I don't care whether he likes DT, and I'm not saying he should like DT.  But while I am all for discussing what members of THIS forum think, I don't give a rat's ass what someone at ANOTHER forum thinks.  If I did, I would join that forum and discuss it with him.

I mean, this is obviously just something from someone that doesn't like DT (even if he liked a couple of earlier albums).  There are tons of people who don't like DT.

I just don't get it.  But by all means, carry on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
People who don't listen to other genre's of music besides metal, and the occasional hard rock, seem to not appreciate DT as much as more musically-rounded people (generally). C'mon, he compared Watchtower to Dream Theater (Watchtower is overly complex IMO)
I agree to an extent...although I don't listen to much other than metal, but since DT was the first that jumped me into a metal-only diet (lol) I don't hate them despite also loving stuff like Arch Enemy and Cradle of Filth and stuff like that.
My friend on the other hand likes Slayer and Metallica and hates DT.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Jinova

Good God, what is this?!

I just meant he has issues  ;D

Offline Millais

So basically, he has a shitty opinion.

while i disagree with the whole of this piece, that's a very ignorant response.

Offline Aniland

We don't. We're analyzing the opinion of someone who has a very different one from our own and commenting on it. Not sure what his 'from another forum' component has to do with anything. He's another human being.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
And, again, so what?  The fact that he is a human being does not somehow transform his post on an unrelated forum to something that is newsworthy here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aniland

He's a person with a different opinion. It's something to have a discussion about, bosk.

Offline jayvee

I'm afraid I can't see the guy's point. At the end of the day, he doesn't like Dream Theater. That's about it. There's really no extended way to explain this. He just needs say "I'm not into DT," and then go listen to other music.

For example -- in an effort to turn this thing into a productive discussion which hopefully belongs on this forum -- James LaBrie's work on Octavarium and Systematic Chaos are brilliant. And I think In The Presence of Enemies (both parts taken together) is one of the most brilliant rock compositions I've ever heard. It has intelligent structure, beautiful melodies, technical brilliance -- fully applied in the service of the music, not as "wankery" -- a full range of colors, moods and tempos, and any number of other features that a musically-trained person could point to with enthusiasm. But it's also just damn good to listen to. And again, LaBrie's vocals are excellent. In the concluding segment in particular, his singing can often make my hair stand on end. There is absolutely zero to complain about, with respect to his singing on this track. (Among others -- I only use this track as an example at hand).

So again, the poster on the other site is basically using a lot of words to say "Dream Theater is not my thing." Which is fine. But the words do not really service the opinion. He used the word wankery to describe his opinion of DT's instrumentalism. Which I as a musician disagree with. But if the definition of wankery in music is to use a lot of notes to express very little, then I dare say the commenter should be careful in language not to use too many words in the same manner.

P.S. Regarding Watchtower, I think Ron Jarzombek is a Genius of Geniuses. His Blotted Science project blows my mind to smithereens every time. But I can't see what that has to do with DT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
He's a person with a different opinion.

Again, so what?  That doesn't make it worthy of a thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aniland

Tell that to the people who have had copious amounts of interesting things to say on the subject already.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Also: Tales From Topogtaphic Oceans a failure? Get. The. Fuck. All. The. Way. Out. I weep for this man.

Seriously.

I frequent Rate Your Music, but I've never agreed much with the general opinions there. For the most part, the top albums chart is extremely different from what I like.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
He's a person with a different opinion.

Again, so what?  That doesn't make it worthy of a thread.

All Aniland did was put an opinion forth and spark discussion.  People do that all the time here.  The only difference is, this opinion isn't Aniland's, but rather something he saw and thought would be interesting to discuss.  And I personally agree - it is interesting to discuss.  I've enjoyed reading this thread.

Sometimes I really think people dismiss all Aniland threads as pointless just because he's Aniland. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Tell that to the people who have had copious amounts of interesting things to say on the subject already.

No, I'm telling YOU because you are the one who loves spamming the forum with pointless posts, Aniland.  And, honestly, this thread is a very minor example of that.  But your reaction is very telling.  You continue to display that you don't care what the forum rules are and don't care what I or the mods have to say.  Given that and given that you've already been banned once for that very thing, I'm telling you that if it doesn't change, your stay on this forum will be coming to an end soon.

Offline Dream Team

I don't like mushrooms.

Discuss.

Offline reo73

• Banned
I think this makes for interesting discussion because it is easy to live inside a DT bubble here.  By seeing what other people outside the DT community think and feel about DT it helps me better understand what it is I do like about them as well as helps me think critically about music in general.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

That means nothing.  I could go find negative comments about almost any band that has an internet forum with a lot of users, post the negative comments there, and get a lot of reactions. 

Offline Aniland

No, I'm telling YOU because you are the one who loves spamming the forum with pointless posts, Aniland.  And, honestly, this thread is a very minor example of that.  But your reaction is very telling.  You continue to display that you don't care what the forum rules are and don't care what I or the mods have to say.  Given that and given that you've already been banned once for that very thing, I'm telling you that if it doesn't change, your stay on this forum will be coming to an end soon.

Delete my account then. I've had enough of you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:46:18 AM by Aniland »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: nevermind
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
I don't understand how people can start complaining that a thread is pointless on its second page of valid discussion.   
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
I don't understand the issue either???  Valid topic and a valid and interesting discussion was happening.  This place baffles me sometimes.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
I don't understand how people can start complaining that a thread is pointless on its second page of valid discussion.   
I'm also having problems with this, particularly when the admin makes a completely on-topic post about it, only to question the point of the thread later.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
Yeah, this seemed pretty valid. I only caught this thread just now though.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
Yeah, this seemed pretty valid. I only caught this thread just now though.
Making it even more valid is the blabbermouth thread. More complaining about peoples' opinions, and hardly related to DT.

But, Aniland started this thread, and all of his threads are automatically pointless. I forgot about that clause.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
And now we have half a page of off topic posts by other jumping into the middle of modding discussion, which you should ALL know is off limits.  Knock that off.  If you want to discuss the topic, do so.  Otherwise, don't post.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »
Talking about a mod doing his job badly isn't allowed? Figures.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
Pretty good album, by Nirvana standards.

EDIT: For serious though, this thread could have had a lot of good discussion. It was just quickly dismissed by a lot of people because "lol they don't like DT." Usually I wouldn't think the mods would do this kind of thing, but it happened here.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
Aniland, I know you will probably be banned anyways for your comments, but you should really calm down and realize that Bosk is simply trying to moderate the forum successfully, and he does a pretty damn good job.

If you have a bone to pick, don't shoot yourself in the foot, calm down and use the PM system.

I'm not trying to sound like a mod myself, but...

I do agree that it was a topic worthy of discussion, but its not my place to talk.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)