Author Topic: Karmakanic & Agents of Mercy  (Read 7997 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Karmakanic & Agents of Mercy
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
As of right now, I would rank them as follows:
TBF
TFGOT
DR

I didn't really get into their second album as much as their first, but the latest release is pretty stellar. I think they took the best parts of their previous two albums and meshed them into something spectacular this time around.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »
I cannot stand the main singer's voice from Agents of Mercy, so I never bothered with their subsequent studio albums.  I could barely stomach getting through the first one 'cause of his voice.

Bring back The Flower Kings!!! :coolio

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »
Going to be leaving in about 20 minutes for RoSfest, going to be seeing Karmakanic for the 2nd time!

I'm uber excite.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 06:42:21 AM »
Going to be leaving in about 20 minutes for RoSfest, going to be seeing Karmakanic for the 2nd time!

I'm uber excite.

You lucky bastard  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:18 AM »
Jealous!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
Another fantastic show from Jonas and the boys. The RoSfest atmosphere was once again amazing and I really look forward to actually seeing the full festival one day.

I did record the show, but there is good news and bad news. The good is that I probably pulled the best sounding recording I ever have, but the bad news is there is some god forsaken noise running through the entire recording and I have no clue how it happened. In any case, a "sample" for everyone.

www.nickeh.com/dtf/karma.mp3
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline darkshade

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 10:32:17 AM »
I have The Black Forest, and it's ok, but the singer ruins it for me. I can't wait for new TFK in June.

Also, The Fading Ghosts of Twilight looks awful as initials. (TFGOT)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
Damn Nick what a great sounding boot of 1969.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »
Damn Nick what a great sounding boot of 1969.

That's raw too, I plan on sharpening it a bit, and truly think it will be the best sounding thing I've ever put out, minus that god forsaken noise.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »
And of course, had to get a few pictures...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »
Wow, has it been over 4 years since this thread has been active?! That's crazy...

Either way, BUMP to announce that Karmakanic's latest album, DOT, is out today! I would love to hear some thoughts on this one from fellow fans on here. It's a 50-ish minute album, book-ended with a cumulative 30 minute epic (split into 25 and 5 minute pieces), with 3 other songs between them. I haven't had a chance to spin the whole thing through yet, but I'll be sure to come back here and post my thoughts on this long-awaited release from Jonas Reingold and his band.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »
Oh Crap!  I have to get it!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2016, 09:25:04 PM »
Bought. First listen and I'm a bit dissapointed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
I doubt I will even bother with this, unless a friend of mine gets it and lets me listen.  I never even bothered with the previous record.  They have a handful of song I still enjoy, especially Entering the Spectra, which is an awesome tune, but by and large, this band doesn't interest me anymore.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 09:44:57 PM »
I doubt I will even bother with this, unless a friend of mine gets it and lets me listen.  I never even bothered with the previous record.  They have a handful of song I still enjoy, especially Entering the Spectra, which is an awesome tune, but by and large, this band doesn't interest me anymore.

You missed nothing. In A Perfect World is the only album by Karmakanic I've ever heard, and I remember just being bored to heck and back with it. The only song I liked on it seems to be the most hated song on it, if any of the reviews were anything to go by.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
Bought. First listen and I'm a bit dissapointed.

My first listen was a little underwhelming, but after that it really started to hit home.  It's better than In A Perfect World, easily in my book.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »
I shall bring this thread BACK TO LIFE...

Sorry to disappoint the 8 Karmakanic fans on here, but this isn't being bumped because there's a new studio album on the way (unless there is and I don't know about it), but this is because I just got the live album Hotel Cantaffordit by the amalgamated-band Tangekanic, featuring members of The Tangent and Karmkanic on tour. The live album features 7 songs total from both bands, three by each band, and a new track that is dedicated to the victims of concert attacks in recent years, with a solemn 30 seconds of silence in the middle.

What a great live album, though I've only had the chance to spin it once. The band sounds tight, as this was recorded on the final night of the small tour, in a venue in New Jersey. The songs all come from the band's most recent albums, with the exception of the final song on the disc (tacked on to the end of "Steer By The Stars" for some reason). I wish this was a longer set, especially since I saw on setlist.fm that they played other songs on the tour, but I think because Theo couldn't make it to the US dates, they had to alter the sets a bit.

A very enjoyable album and I'm proud to say I was one of the people who helped fund the recording and release of it, as my name is featured on the front cover of the album itself! I actually pre-ordered on the night the concert was recorded, purely by coincidence!

And going back to the short discussion on DOT from 2 years ago, I have to agree with Dr. DTVT, it's better than In A Perfect World, for sure, but after an amazing album like Who's The Boss In The Factory, it was going to be hard to do anything better. I'm just not re-listening to IAPW for the first time in awhile, and it's good, just not great. DOT, however, has really grown on me over the years and having the new live album has prompted me to go back and listen to it (and to Karmakanic in general), and it has definitely aged well for me.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
God dammit Marc :getoffmylawn:

I'll take this opportunity to re-listen to both. I liked IAPW better than DOT, but haven't listened to either in a while.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
I like IAPW more than DOT.  At first I was disappointed in DOT.  I've listened to it again or ran over and it's growing on me but still not up to the level I was predecessor.

WTBITF is an amazing album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
I've been spinning WTBITF a lot in the last few weeks. Awesome album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2019, 01:59:10 PM »
Been spinning these guys for the last few days. Great music. Steer the Stars is a fantastic earworm.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2019, 03:27:13 AM »
I had no idea until yesterday that Nad Sylvan is/was the lead singer for Agents of Mercy. I'd heard of the band as a part of the extended Flower Kings family, but I haven't really looked into them properly. So Sylvan does have history in prog besides being Hackett's Gabriel clone for his Genesis Revisited shows.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2020, 10:41:54 AM »
I never found Karmakanic as strong without Zoltan on drums. What happened to this band?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
I never found Karmakanic as strong without Zoltan on drums. What happened to this band?

Their last album, Dot (from 2016) was quite enjoyable IMO. I will say, though, that I wasn't very enthused about In A Perfect World, and my favorite might still be Who's The Boss In The Factory - "Send A Message From The Heart" is still one of my favorite epics ever.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2020, 12:10:10 PM »
I didn't like Dot when it came out but upon some re-listens I've found it quite enjoyable. As to what happened with them, I don't really know. I would like for them to release a new album that was more in the vein of the first 3, especially WTBITF, but I get that the guys probably have a million other projects going around and this one kind of died out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »
I didn't like Dot when it came out but upon some re-listens I've found it quite enjoyable. As to what happened with them, I don't really know. I would like for them to release a new album that was more in the vein of the first 3, especially WTBITF, but I get that the guys probably have a million other projects going around and this one kind of died out.

Jonas has been quite busy over the last year, between the new Tangent album that came out in August, the recently release Backstage album, and the forthcoming new TFK album. I think Jonas might need a break soemtime soon, but if quarantine continues, maybe he'll start work on a new Karmakanic album sometime soon!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2020, 01:00:59 PM »

Their last album, Dot (from 2016) was quite enjoyable IMO. I will say, though, that I wasn't very enthused about In A Perfect World, and my favorite might still be Who's The Boss In The Factory - "Send A Message From The Heart" is still one of my favorite epics ever.

-Marc.

I actually never checked out Dot and didn't like In A Perfect World all that much. WTBITF is great though, their best album perhaps.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2023, 08:08:33 AM »
From Facebook:

One more Karmakanic track in the bag. 50 minutes now, might need some help from you guys to realise the best Karmakanic line up ever. Good things are on the way!!!

photo: Diana Seifert

https://www.facebook.com/100052680247699/posts/pfbid02v25HHJM3vAQqhXgt3K9UeFDcsmTLF2T1vye9NzkG9HCb5owvL4e9ghBwzLW6ajUGl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Sorry for the necro-bump but...NEW KARMAKANIC COMING!!

-Marc.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2023, 09:00:14 AM »
From Facebook:

One more Karmakanic track in the bag. 50 minutes now, might need some help from you guys to realise the best Karmakanic line up ever. Good things are on the way!!!

photo: Diana Seifert

https://www.facebook.com/100052680247699/posts/pfbid02v25HHJM3vAQqhXgt3K9UeFDcsmTLF2T1vye9NzkG9HCb5owvL4e9ghBwzLW6ajUGl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Sorry for the necro-bump but...NEW KARMAKANIC COMING!!

-Marc.
Great to hear!  My BIL just got me into them and I absolutely LOVE both IAPW and WTBITF

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2024, 09:15:25 AM »
KARMAKANIC NEWS!!!

The new album of Karmakanic is currently in progress. I have just completed the composition phase, resulting in 12 songs and approximately 85 minutes of ready to go music. And yes, there’s an Epic in there the 23 min long track with the working title “Transmutation” (The constant change of everything) The next step involves condensing it down to around 60 minutes, and no, it will not be a double album. I am prioritizing quality and embracing the ”less is more” approach.

Now comes the challenging task of trimming down 85 to 60 minutes. To make this process less solitary, I’ve assembled a small team to assist me in selecting what resonates with them because I kind of find myself fond of every part of it. Drum recording is scheduled to commence in the upcoming months, allowing the beast to unfold.

Before delving into the recording process, I have to wrap up a 2-month tour with the Steve Hackett Band in the US. And I really looking forward to that and fortunately , I can work on the album during off days, ensuring progress continues. I aim to have everything recorded and mixed later this year.

In the meantime, catch you on the seven seas and on dry land. #karmakanic #cruisetotheedge #jonasreingoldbassplayer photo: Diana Seifert @lidschlag

https://www.facebook.com/share/fMmE78L7HPUYTGDF/?mibextid=oFDknk

Seems like we will get a new album within a year, and while I'm hoping for a late 2024 release, as it's already been EIGHT YEARS since their last studio album (Dot came out in July 2016), I can see this being an early 2025 release. Hopefully it'll be well worth the wait for a brand new hour of Karmakanic music!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 09:25:41 AM by The Letter M »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2024, 03:35:19 PM »
The recording of the new Karmakanic album started today here at Ocean Way Studios in Nashville TN Craig Blundell did a great job beating the hell out of the drums. We did 4 tracks and it sounded amazing. There will be one more monster drummer on the album that I will reveal very soon. You will not be disappointed, I can tell you that. To be continued…

https://www.facebook.com/share/39R8viwz9w4vmgeg/?mibextid=oFDknk

Love seeing Blundell being on the next Karmakanic album!

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2024, 03:10:28 AM »
Nice!!! He is such an amazing musician. Now I'm curious about who the other guy is.