Author Topic: The Universal Hogwarts Grading System  (Read 5317 times)

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
The Universal Hogwarts Grading System
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
So, this came up in the chat thread when I got my GCSE results, and I decided that it is a great idea to translate the grading systems from around the world (or at least the ones that we use in DTF) into one easy to understand, universally recognised grading system. The Hogwarts grading system. So, here is a handy little guide to what qualifications and grades you have in the Potterverse...I'm not familiar with foreign grading systems, so I could really use some help from you guys ^^

Qualifications
NEWTs- Exams that you take around the age of 17-18 (1 NEWT= 1 A Level/   )
OWLs- Exams you take around the age of 15-16 (1 OWL= 1 GCSE/ )

Grades
A*/A+- 2 Outstanding
A- Outstanding
B- Exceeds Exceptions
C- Acceptable

D-Poor
E-Dreadful
F-Troll

Applications

So, if I'm talking about my current qualifications, I have half a Poor NEWT (yes, har har) 8 Outstanding , and 5 Exceeds Exceptions in my OWLs

So, what did you guys get in your OWLs/NEWTs? I'm not even sure if this will work with you American's but it's worth a shot >.<
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline blackngold29

Re: The Universal Hogwarts Grading System
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:44 AM »
Grades
A*/A+- 2 Outstanding
A- Outstanding
B- Exceeds Exceptions
C- Acceptable

D-Poor
E-Dreadful
F-Troll
Those pretty much are the American grading system, although most places you can still pass with a D.

One grading scale I've heard is that students start at 0 and gain 'experience points' as they progress through the semester. The total points you get determines your grade. Essentially the same thing as usual, but it tricks you into thinking it's a video game.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
That sounds like my kind of grading system :')

I know that Germany has a different one, something to do with numbers, the lower your number the better you do or something like that, may have to adjust it in a bit.
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
Grades
A*/A+- 2 Outstanding
A- Outstanding
B- Exceeds Exceptions
C- Acceptable

D-Poor
E-Dreadful
F-Troll
Those pretty much are the American grading system, although most places you can still pass with a D.

Not in Florida. Once you hit high school a D is not passing and you need at least a C average to get your diploma.

At my UNI if you got a D you didn't get any credits but that class counted towards elective credits.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »
How does a B "exceeds exceptions"?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:28:30 AM »
One grading scale I've heard is that students start at 0 and gain 'experience points' as they progress through the semester. The total points you get determines your grade. Essentially the same thing as usual, but it tricks you into thinking it's a video game.

You watch Extra Credits?

Offline Horatio

• Yeaaahhhhhhh?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
Here in Howard County, Maryland a D is passing I think. Don't know what the equivalents of GCSEs and A Levels would be in the US (maybe SATs and APs?).

Haha yeah, I'd be tricked into thinking it's a video game when I'm doing math worksheets and BSing essays about "cultural" books in English class.

Can I grind for EXP with this system? Like, if I do 5 math worksheets instead of 3 will I be able to get to the next level faster and face the evil pre-graduation boss, senioritis? Am I allowed to split EXP with a party of my friends?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:45:16 AM by Horatio »

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »

C is "average." I'm assuming "average" is the "expectation," so "above average" "exceeds expectations."

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »

C is "average." I'm assuming "average" is the "expectation," so "above average" "exceeds expectations."

Pretty much, C is the borderline pass grade as well, making it 'Acceptable', and above that comes your Bs and your As, A grades being outstanding thus planting B grades in the middle.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »
It makes perfect sense. I completely back this becoming the new universal system.

Offline jsem

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
I always hated "exceeds expectations".
I mean, if Hermoine would get an "exceeds expectations" that's be below everyone's expectations of her.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
I always hated "exceeds expectations".
I mean, if Hermoine would get an "exceeds expectations" that's be below everyone's expectations of her.
I'm pretty sure expectations are at a set "average."
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
was waiting for this thread.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »
bend over and get cedric diggorie'd

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.