Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 22592 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Hurricane Irene
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2011, 03:11:49 PM »
Harry.  you know you've been on DTF too long while during the hurricane,  I had a beer from Scotland and thought of you.  Fantasies I guess.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
I have fantasies about you all the time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
Being crushed while I'm on top.  I know.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »
I want nothing more :heart

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »
I'm all yours.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2011, 03:25:13 PM »
 :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
Yo. Powers been out since 7am here, huge trees are down EVERYWHERE. One fell straight arcross our street about 75 ft from the house

What town are you in?  I work in Commack, and I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to go to work tomorrow.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »
Lights have flickered a couple times here in NH and it's hardly even raining and just a little breezy. I'm not feeling very confident in the power grid up here. I expect to be without power for a while after it hits later this afternoon. Hopefully it's not too long. I've stocked up on water and ice, but I only have a few beers left!

I've lived in NH for 34 years & I'll bet the power goes out.  lox, don't you live in Keene?  Since it's a larger town you might be in better standing then smaller towns like mine in Raymond.
Yeah, I'm in Keene. It basically missed us, so we had power all day. Just a regular rainy day.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
Power finally came back on here just now.

The damage isn't too bad around here, but it sure is looking messy, and there are trees down all over the place. Went riding around a lot earlier, lots of roads look like this at the moment:

And lots of power lines look like this:

And unfortunately, this is the aftermath of the storm on a friend's house:

Nobody was in that part of the house when it hit, so everyone survived (roar), but the house is completely ruined  :(

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »
:( thats what it looks like around here too. There was a tree down on a house just like that near my grandmother's home.

Luckily, my house was completely unaffected. My thoughts are with those whose houses weren't so lucky.  :-\

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
2 years ago I had a tree go through my house.  I know how that feels.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2011, 06:48:51 PM »
made it out with only losing a shutter...lots of trees down but none hit anything here.....lots of people without power but we seem to be lucky and still have ours .....No trains tomorrow so looks like i'll be working from home
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
I'm in south Jersey and I have to say that I was pretty nervous about the storm.  On one hand I felt kind of silly for being so nervous but on the other hand I guess it's better to be nervous than unprepared and sorry.  The northeast is pretty lucky in terms of weather/natural disasters so when this big of a deal gets made over it I figured that there was at least a chance that shit would 'get real.' 

I wound up staying at my parents house just in case.  I was definitely worried about flooding, and if our area got flooded, I did not want to be away from my parents. 

Luckily my parents had no damage, as well as my friend's house (where I'm living now).  A few of my friends wound up with some downed trees (luckily none fell on any houses) and several of my friends wound up with flooded basements.  And unfortunately some of my friends live right on a creek...surprisingly enough their house is not flooded but they are predicting more swells tonight due to the full moon and their house may flood yet (but obviously praying that it does not). 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: August 29, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »
Fucking no power...

Got it back over night.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #294 on: August 29, 2011, 12:26:14 PM »
Anyone know how it impacted the Hartford, CT area?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »

NAGS HEAD, NC - AUGUST 28: Billy Stinson (L), his wife Sandra Stinson (C) and daughter Erin Stinson comfort each other as they sit on the steps where their cottage once stood August 28, 2011 in Nags Head, North Carolina. The cottage, built in 1903 and destroyed yesterday by Hurricane Irene, was one of the first vacation cottages built on Albemarle Sound in Nags Head. Stinson has owned the home, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, since 1963. "We were pretending, just for a moment, that the cottage was still behind us and we were just sitting there watching the sunset," said Erin afterward. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #296 on: August 29, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »
I spent a week in Nags Head a couple years ago and loved it. Sad to hear it was pretty hard hit. The condo I stayed in was right on the water too. Wonder if it's still there.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #297 on: August 29, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »
I heard this morning about all the terrible flooding in Vermont and we haven't heard from my aunt yet :(
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #298 on: August 29, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »
I live in Vermont and where i live got completely fucked up.  A few of my friends houses and cars washed away.  Here are some pictures.
This is a picture of some railroad tracks by my house.  This part was completely full of rocks and gravel before this, it was much bigger than it looksin the picture.

These are my neighbor's yard.

This is one of the roads in my town

A car that fell off the road as it collapsed, there was an elderly couple inside that had to be rescued

This is a video of one of the streets that are gone in my town.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BvxpxCa7Ew&feature=related

Also my road has 4 foot gaps on the sides, so we can't go anywhere.  The flooding was insane here.  Every road leading to any city is destroyed and are closed off.  Power just barely came back on though.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
Fuck! What town are you in? My aunt is in Randolph...

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:03 PM »
Fuck! What town are you in? My aunt is in Randolph...
Those are all around Mount Holly and Ludlow and Rutland.  The roads aren't going to be completley repaired for a long time.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
 :-\

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
Ludlow, Mount Holly, and Brattleboro were the hardest hit places in the state.  Most other places aren't really that bad, some mild flooding though

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »
That absolutely sucks  :(

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
My power has been restored!!!!!!
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »
Still no power here...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »
Those images from Vermont are downright depressing.  I can't even imagine going through something like that. :(

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »
Those images from Vermont are downright depressing.  I can't even imagine going through something like that. :(

Just looked through them. It makes what happened here seem like a complete joke.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »
How is this for perspective:

A week ago, I had to drop my car off to get the transmission pretty much rebuilt.  They said it would be about a week, but hoped to have it finished by Friday.  Well, Friday came and they said it would take till Monday.  I was aggravated, as I hate not having my car, and was tired of bugging people for rides (although the friends and family who helped out didn't mind).  Anyway, first thing this morning, they call and say it was still 50/50 to have it finished today, and they called right as I was watching footage of the devastation Irene had caused, and I thought to myself, "Ya know, when you look at everything those poor people in Vermont (and NC and other places greatly affected by Irene) are going through right now, I don't think me being without my car for another day or two is a big deal."  So, I decided not to sweat it, and pretty much counted on not getting my car back today, which I was fine with.

So, naturally, they called around 4 to tell me that my car was finished.  It almost seemed unfair.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2011, 08:53:46 AM »
Fantastic! Things just work out sometimes, I guess.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2011, 09:03:04 AM »
I hope you guys are all OK  :-\

I heard this morning about all the terrible flooding in Vermont and we haven't heard from my aunt yet :(

Have you heard from her my dear?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #311 on: August 30, 2011, 09:05:02 AM »
No.. but she also sucks at returning phone calls in general so I'm sure she's fine but I wish I knew for sure.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: August 30, 2011, 09:07:40 AM »
let's hope for the best.... let us know...

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #313 on: August 30, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »
Ludlow, Mount Holly, and Brattleboro were the hardest hit places in the state.  Most other places aren't really that bad, some mild flooding though
Crazy to think that I live about 20 minutes from Brattleboro and we just got a day of rain with a little wind and they had massive flooding. Glad you're doing OK. It's pretty scarey what happened (and is still happening for that matter) over there.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #314 on: August 30, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
Almost any road to any city where i live is closed.  I drove through a couple of them and i saw one farm where two acres of land is now a lake. :o