Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 22615 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: Hurricane Irene
« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2011, 12:28:12 AM »
The wife and I took off to Hershey pa for a weekend get away. I decided I would rather be in the jacuzzi with my wife than be without power in the middle of a hurricane.

did steve jobs pay for your vacation?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2011, 01:10:39 AM »
Just had the power lost and then back on quickly twice.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »
My power's hanging in there.  Thank god.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2011, 01:51:33 AM »
Power has been out for a few hours now here. No idea yet, but there was many warnings before the storm got here that power could be lost for days. Hope it doesn't come to that :(

As for the storm, the rain seems to have let up a bit, the wind is still strong though. I think the worst has passed
by this point.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2011, 02:25:59 AM »
Tornado warnings are up here.  Definitely windy and rainy...really reminds me of a blizzard in a way.  It's weird knowing that all the things that sound like distant trucks are actually the wind.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2011, 02:29:15 AM »
4:30am in CT, and power is still good, it's definitely rainy, but we've had a lot more wind than this before, so the worst isn't even close to being here.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2011, 03:12:00 AM »
Ok, we're both awake and the wife is hungover...so I'm making sausages at 5 AM in a hurricane.

Winds 25-35, with occasional gusts higher, and lots of rain.  There are points when it's eerily quiet, though...and that's when I hear this faint mechanical hum in the distance, that sounds like a train idling.  It freaks me out a bit.

No damage that I can see outside, but we're still 4-5 hours from the worst of it.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2011, 03:18:41 AM »
I've had to live without power for quite a few days, thanks to hurricanes (Wilma comes to mind). It actually becomes quite nice (in a peaceful way, I suppose) after a while. Plus, for a guy that's used to the countryside, it's nice to see the stars at night for once.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »
Here in RI, we're still hours away from it, too.  But, my wife took our dog outside about 45 minutes ago and there were some massive gusts of wind.  I made her come back inside because I was afraid some branches would fall on her..... first time I've ever been truly frightened by a hurricane - and, it's not even HERE yet!!!!  :lol

edit..

I only live a few blocks from Narragansett Bay and it's supposedly hitting at high tide.  This is going to be scary. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2011, 03:34:03 AM »
SE, are you high enough to avoid flooding?

In addition to the weather outside, there's the windstorm inside...that chicken chili earlier is catching up with me.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2011, 03:40:24 AM »
 :lol

Woke up around 4:30 to heavy rain pouring on my air conditioner... haven't been able to get back to sleep. Might as well be up now while I still have power, I guess!

Still got a few more hours before it starts kicking up.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2011, 03:40:43 AM »
Yeah, the house where I live isn't "right" on the water, but my town (Bristol) is a coastal town, which means the streets flood easily.  Luckily, my place is very high and I don't think water will flood inside (maybe the basement).  

Oh and....  :lol at the "windstorm inside" comment.  haha!
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2011, 05:35:45 AM »
The wife and I took off to Hershey pa for a weekend get away. I decided I would rather be in the jacuzzi with my wife than be without power in the middle of a hurricane.

did steve jobs pay for your vacation?

I guess you could say that. Made some nice money with apple stock And chased out a few weeks ago.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2011, 05:46:55 AM »
Winds are in the 20's right now and its raining at a good clip.  The trenches on both sides of the streets are flowing very fast.  Hope the power doesn't go out.  The worst is yet to come.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2011, 06:12:35 AM »
Just woke up. Its raining a steady non-voilent bit. The wind is blowing a bit but nothing like our regular spring thunderstorms. Radar shows this is about as bad as it's  gonna get for me.

I am disappointed. I wanted a storm at least as strong as normal storms are here -- they never hurt anyone or anything. Oh well.

Tropical Depression Ten is next -- the Canadian Farmer's Almanac predicted Irene becoming only thundershowers and gales by the time it hit Nova Scotia, but says TD Ten will be a hurricane still when it gets there around Sept 3 - 7. I think they're a little early but look forward to seeing how accurate it is. :tup

edit -- isolated gusts occasionally make me wonder if I spoke too soon. :lol (Binghamton, NY area)
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2011, 06:14:38 AM »
Ok, we're both awake and the wife is hungover...so I'm making sausages at 5 AM in a hurricane.

Winds 25-35, with occasional gusts higher, and lots of rain.  There are points when it's eerily quiet, though...and that's when I hear this faint mechanical hum in the distance, that sounds like a train idling.  It freaks me out a bit.

No damage that I can see outside, but we're still 4-5 hours from the worst of it.
You know tornados are common in hurricanes... when that gets close, just go into tornado mode. With your webcam. Thanks. :D
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2011, 07:35:28 AM »
the storm was also a bit... underwhelming here. It's been raining for like 12+ hours, and I'm sure some people got fucked with flooding, but the wind never seemed to really pick up a ton. We never lost power, and my dad's going to open his store, if not at the normal time of noon maybe just a little bit later.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »
Keep safe guys  :sad:

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2011, 08:04:37 AM »
Lights have flickered a couple times here in NH and it's hardly even raining and just a little breezy. I'm not feeling very confident in the power grid up here. I expect to be without power for a while after it hits later this afternoon. Hopefully it's not too long. I've stocked up on water and ice, but I only have a few beers left!

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2011, 08:13:02 AM »
It's suddenly dry here.  The eye passed right over us about 45 minutes ago, and now the rain has stopped and the winds have reduced.  Don't see any damage outside, and we only had some leakage around our front window.  Never lost power, and I would be quite surprised if we lost it now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
Lights have flickered a couple times here in NH and it's hardly even raining and just a little breezy. I'm not feeling very confident in the power grid up here. I expect to be without power for a while after it hits later this afternoon. Hopefully it's not too long. I've stocked up on water and ice, but I only have a few beers left!

I've lived in NH for 34 years & I'll bet the power goes out.  lox, don't you live in Keene?  Since it's a larger town you might be in better standing then smaller towns like mine in Raymond.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2011, 08:46:07 AM »
I expected to wake up in the middle of the worst of it, not that it would be over with.  No power interruption, and there doesn't seem to be much flooding around Little Ferry, NJ even though we are at quite a low elevation.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2011, 08:53:27 AM »
I went out for a quick drive with my dad to pick up the newspaper and check on my grandmother's house and took a few photos along the way Here's the link to the whole album, but I'm posting a couple below. Most of the shots are of a park by my house that usually has a very small, mild mannered brook running through it, but is prone to some flooding

the water coming through right under the bridge

yeah, there's a whole playground under there :lol

more underwater playground

it's a small rectangular park that's well below the surrounding streets. The side of the road we were on is the high ground, this other side of the street wasn't so lucky
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Var

• Gravity Well
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »
Wow.

Supposedly, there's a flash flood warning for Albany county, but I haven't really seen anything bad.  Just some really bad gusts occasionally and constant rain.  It's not even that heavy of a rain.  Just constant.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »
Power out here but I fired up the generator and we still have internet and cable.  WOOT!!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »
Irene toppled a tree in my lawn.  The fucking whore. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
Irene toppled a tree in my lawn.  The fucking whore.  
Pics or it didn't happen!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
nothing more than a little rain storm here in the north Bronx. The 1/4 pound Chihuahua statue on our front steps didn't even budge.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »
Other than a few power surges early in the morning, high winds and heavy rain nothing really happened. My house is undamaged, and the power is still on. WOO!
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
Turns out a couple of big trees came down about a block from us.  Amazingly, the biggest fell down in the narrow driveway between two houses, barely scratching either of them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »
Power is back on!!

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
A bunch of trees fell over into the street.  One huge tree fell into a parking space that I almost parked in last night, but didn't because a car was there (it's my usual space), so I had to park down the street.  That person parking there saved my car.  

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »
My house didn't get hit bad at all. Lots of heavy rain and wind, but nothing damaging. Cellar only flooded a tiny little bit, should be easy to absorb whatever came in. And didn't lose power!

But I drove about 5-10 minutes down the road to check up on my grandmother, and there are trees down everywhere. So I guess I got lucky.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Yo. Powers been out since 7am here, huge trees are down EVERYWHERE. One fell straight arcross our street about 75 ft from the house

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »
New York, I welcome you to a British summer.