Author Topic: Where do I go from here? (The Flower Kings, Dredg, Coheed and Cambria)  (Read 1872 times)

Offline ElliottTamer

Thanks to my "Suggest me something" topic I came across a lot of new bands. Some I am a little unsure about as of yet (Porcupine Tree and The Dear Hunter), while quite a lot of them I already knew. Out of all the suggestions, however, I came across three albums I really liked:
- The Flower Kings - Space Revolver
- Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
- Dredg - The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion

So I would like to know where to go next with these three bands. Which albums do you recommend?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Where do I go from here? (The Flower Kings, Dredg, Coheed and Cambria)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »
For Coheed, get In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

For dredg, get El Cielo or Catch Without Arms (you can't go wrong here, but El Cielo is a masterpiece)

no idea for TFK
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
After listening to it a little more, I decided to give The Dear Hunter another try. What would you suggest? (Listened to Act I, liked it some, but didn't blow me away)

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:29 PM »
After listening to it a little more, I decided to give The Dear Hunter another try. What would you suggest? (Listened to Act I, liked it some, but didn't blow me away)

Consider Act I an appetizer. Act II and III are so much better than Act I it's almost ludicrous. Listen to them in that order.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:52:51 PM »
Honestly I think Act II the best, but from what I can tell you might like Act III the best. I don't know though. Try both because there really isn't anyone who dislikes this band lol.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »
Being the resident TFK expert 'round these parts :P, I'd say to go with Flower Power, Stardust We Are, Paradox Hotel or Unfold the Future next.  All are double albums.  If you want another great single TFK record, get Retropolis.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:24:31 AM »
If you enjoy Space Revolver by TFK, getting Unfold the Future is the next logical step. It's like Space Revolver on steroids.

If you enjoy TFK, you might like the bands Karmakanic and The Tangent as well. Karmakanic is like TFK's more metal and jazzier brother. Jonas Reingold (who is on SR and UTF) is the main member, and Roine Stolt is on their first 2 albums. The Tangent also featured Roine Stolt on their first 2 albums, and Jonas Reingold on the first 4. They have more Canturbury influence, mixed with some TFK, though they eventually grew to have their own sound.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
Also TFK related, you can listen to Agents of Mercy featuring Roine. Also Lalle Larson's Waveworld is a good record. And Transatlantic if you haven't listened to it yet.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
Honestly, since he just got his first TFK record, I'd dive into them a bit more before diving into the side projects.  Except for Transatlantic, which is more of a prog supergroup than a side project, in a manner of speaking.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »
Honestly, since he just got his first TFK record, I'd dive into them a bit more before diving into the side projects.  Except for Transatlantic, which is more of a prog supergroup than a side project, in a manner of speaking.

That's why I suggested Unfold the Future.

The other bands are for later, though I agree, the time is now to get into Transatlantic if he hasn't already.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
For dredg, get Catch Without Arms for an album full of excellent, solid pop/rock songs.  If you want something a bit more "out there" go with El Cielo.  Avoid Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy at all costs.

For Coheed, my favorite is In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3.  I don't know how big you are on rawer production or obvious emo/punk roots, but Second Stage Turbine Blade is fantastic as well.  Heck, all of their albums are fantastic, just get them all.

Don't know about TFK.  Listen to Kev on that one.

And get Act III by the Dear Hunter.  Its their best.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »

Yknow, what you said is true. However, for me personally, getting Karmakanic's album "Who's the Boss In The Factory?" helped me get into TFK a lot. And it's a great album.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks to the (quick) suggestions. Am trying to get Act II, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 and El Cielo.
The Flower Kings has proven to be harder to find, but I think Amazon's MP3 download system should have them. EDIT: Can't find Unfold the Future, does anyone know where I can get it?

Btw, I already have all three Transatlantic albums, though The Whirlwind is my favourite.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:30:00 AM by ElliottTamer »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:34:10 AM »
I bought Unfold The Future at cduniverse.com But don't know if they still have it.

If anything try InsideOut records, their label might have it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
I wouldn't recommend getting Unfold the Future just yet anyway. It's one of the harder to get into TFK albums IMO. Retropolis or Stardust We Are might be better choices.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
I wouldn't recommend getting Unfold the Future just yet anyway. It's one of the harder to get into TFK albums IMO. Retropolis or Stardust We Are might be better choices.

Why not? I found it easier to get into than an album like, Paradox Hotel. If he enjoys Space Revolver, he would enjoy Unfold the Future. There are some similarities, plus more forays into jazz and experimentation, not to mention the 2 big symphonic epics. The Truth Will Set You Free is one of their best pieces of music.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
The words are coming out all weird
Where are you know, when I need you?

Seriously though, Radiohead. Start with The Bends then chronologically upwards

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »

Why not? I found it easier to get into than an album like, Paradox Hotel. If he enjoys Space Revolver, he would enjoy Unfold the Future. There are some similarities, plus more forays into jazz and experimentation, not to mention the 2 big symphonic epics. The Truth Will Set You Free is one of their best pieces of music.

Space Revolver is my favorite Flower Kings album, and UTF is probably my second least favorite. I think they're very different albums. UTF has weird compressed production that's always irritated me, Daniel Gildenlow on some songs, jazz improvs, a different drummer with a very different style, some songs of dubious quality, and even Roine's vocals seemed strained for some reason. Yeah, it has some great songs, mostly on the first disc, but I think there are better albums for a new fan. Paradox Hotel is my least favorite TFK album if that matters.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »

I second this.
I AM A GUY

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »
dredg - Catch Without Arms

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »

I second this.
:tup